first time clutch instalation ?s - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
first time clutch instalation ?s

well after searching my fingers off thought i would ask for some helpful hints on replaceing my clutch,,,i have all the bolts out except the top one behind my valve cover,,..can anyone lead me to a helpful pic by pic step for replacing my clutch...my yj is a 94 with 5 speed tranny,,

my flywheel was making some wracket then bam went the clutch , i plan on replacing with a clutch kit,,,what else should i do while im in there ?

any and all help will be greatfull...thanks
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
autozone has a duralast clutch set,,,,is there anything i should be aware of

__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
MkUltraOps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
autozone has a duralast clutch set,,,,is there anything i should be aware of
yes. dont buy a duralast clutch. buy one that will last longer than 8 months, i had to learn the hard way
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ajorosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N.J.
Posts: 570
ajorosa is on a distinguished road
Go with a LUK clutch from pep boys. Find out the part number and search eBay as well;,I found a good deal for mine.
__________________
"You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice"

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, a lone amateur built the Ark. A team of engineers built Titanic.
ajorosa is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
Get a luk clutch kit, also, if you dont have a slide hammer to remove the pilot bearing, use wet toilet paper packed in instead of grease or bread. Makes cleanup easier and it works better than either
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ajorosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N.J.
Posts: 570
ajorosa is on a distinguished road
The Haynes repair manual is sum what informative on replacing clutch. A transmission jack is a must for this job. I made a 2*2 wood platform and bolted it to my spare hydraulic jack along with cargo straps to hold it down. Take your time and work smart; its really not that hard to do.
__________________
"You got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice"

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, a lone amateur built the Ark. A team of engineers built Titanic.
ajorosa is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jokerchief462's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North Las Vegas
Posts: 10,090
jokerchief462 is on a distinguished road
Try a YouTube video there is a ton of them

Trans jack at Harbor Freight $75 and you will use it for 100 other things once you have it

It can take some time and don't be in a hurry
__________________
89 2.5 TBI, 4" RC lift, 1" Booms, SYE, Adams Driveshafts front and rear, Ford 8.8 with 4:88s, BFG 33X12.50X15, and a ton of other stuff.

AF Jeep Club Tail Number 184
jokerchief462 is offline   Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 62
killswitch505 is on a distinguished road
The top bolt can be a nightmare I got to mine pretty easy with 20" worth of extensions and a knuckle you can also get it from the top in the cab but not as easy as the extensions
killswitch505 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
thanks a ton guys for the link to the info,,great to know which kit to buy also
the only thing i am missing is an xtra set of hands..lol
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
MikeyinaYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: central coast california
Posts: 254
MikeyinaYJ is on a distinguished road
Lower the transmission a bit and the bolts are pretty easy to access. I couldn't get my pilot out using the grease method so i rented a slide hammer from autozone. I also ordered my luk from amazon for 85 bucks.
__________________
----------------------------------------
1994 jeep wrangler 2.5l
MikeyinaYJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:55 AM   #12
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
thanks mikey,,

and as of now i have no idea about wet toilet paper or bread...lol
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
thanks mikey,,

and as of now i have no idea about wet toilet paper or bread...lol
My grandpa showed me the toilet paper trick when I was younger. Grease makes a huge mess and makes everything harder to grip, and bread works but is usually too thick to get packed in right. I use a slide hammer now since I bought one, but if it's a trail fix, I'd use wet toilet paper before anything.
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
im still wondering,,where and how u use the toilet paper....or bread,,,
i know alot of things to do with both but...not anything on what im doing..lol

thanks again guy,s....im getting ready to go out and start taking more bolts out..
im just one guy and have hardly any tools or what im doing,,except for the link to the video..,,,,thanks again for that...

should i take the transcase off the transmission ? i have read not to and also heard you should....

learning as i go with the help from you guy,s----===thanks again to all of you..

i was going to sell this yj but its got way to much good about it to sell..i plan on really fixing this one up and the clutch is not gonna stop me....lol
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
You would pack the wet toilet paper into the pilot bearing hole and use a metal rod, bolt or dowel that fits tightly into the pilot bearing hole and hit it with a hammer until the pilot bearing comes out, you might have to pack it, hit it, pack some more and hit again until it comes out.

Heres a video, just use use toilet paper instead of grease How to remove a clutch pilot bearing without a pu…: http://youtu.be/28bSl4r1kwQ

As for the transfer case removal. I'd remove it if you didn't have a transmission jack or keep it attached if you have a transmission jack.
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
MikeyinaYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: central coast california
Posts: 254
MikeyinaYJ is on a distinguished road
X2 on having a trans jack. I didnt have one but i had help lifting everything. It was hard getting the trans back in even with help. Had to wiggle the hell out of it while turning the output shaft to line up the splines. That was with two large guys, trans dry and x fer case removed. Jeep was on jack stands high enough that I could sit in there. Make sure to support your engine from the oil pan. I had my engine/trans leaning pretty far back so the bolts were quite visible and I could get a torque wrench in there.
__________________
----------------------------------------
1994 jeep wrangler 2.5l
MikeyinaYJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyinaYJ View Post
X2 on having a trans jack. I didnt have one but i had help lifting everything. It was hard getting the trans back in even with help. Had to wiggle the hell out of it while turning the output shaft to line up the splines. That was with two large guys, trans dry and x fer case removed. Jeep was on jack stands high enough that I could sit in there. Make sure to support your engine from the oil pan. I had my engine/trans leaning pretty far back so the bolts were quite visible and I could get a torque wrench in there.
Lol, I've lifted the transmission in and out without a jack on the trail by myself. The internal slave decided to blow right on the trail. Getting it back in is the most difficult part of the job. Line up the splines before lifting it, and make sure you're putting it in as straight as possible.
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
MikeyinaYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: central coast california
Posts: 254
MikeyinaYJ is on a distinguished road
Lol yes how did you get it back in? Ratchet straps at tail and muscle the rest of it?
__________________
----------------------------------------
1994 jeep wrangler 2.5l
MikeyinaYJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
c5wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Highland, California
Posts: 1,570
c5wagner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyinaYJ View Post
Lol yes how did you get it back in? Ratchet straps at tail and muscle the rest of it?
Bench pressed it from the ground into place and got the dowels set then bolted it. It took me about 3 trys to get it set though. Still not my most difficult trail fix I've done. That would be the on trail gear setup for a friend haha. Using a bottle jack and the vehicle frame as a press was hard
__________________
1989 YJ, 4.2l, TBI, aw4 RADesigns, np231 JB conversions super short SYE, D30 ARB & Ford 8.8 ARB 4.56, 35x12.5r15 Goodyear MTR's, bds 3.5" springs, 1" Boom Shackles.
Build Thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f330/c5...ap-385106.html
c5wagner is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
173ABN VN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: rural N.E. Kansas
Posts: 315
173ABN VN is on a distinguished road
you might want to check your flywheel while you have it out.a new luk cost me $62.72....russ
173ABN VN is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
slo87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Carrollton AL
Posts: 188
slo87 is on a distinguished road
My internal slave goes on a trail it's 1st and 4lo for me the rest of the way home screw changing a clutch in the woods or mud. I
slo87 is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
StanF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,362
StanF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
well after searching my fingers off thought i would ask for some helpful hints on replaceing my clutch,,,i have all the bolts out except the top one behind my valve cover,,..can anyone lead me to a helpful pic by pic step for replacing my clutch...my yj is a 94 with 5 speed tranny,,

my flywheel was making some wracket then bam went the clutch , i plan on replacing with a clutch kit,,,what else should i do while im in there ?

any and all help will be greatfull...thanks
Lots of good advice, so far.

I'd replace the front transmission seal at the same time.

Since yours is a 94, you already have external slave - otherwise, I would have recommended the internal to external slave swap.

I used this transmission jack from HF:
Transmission Jack - 450 Lb. Capacity


As noted above, you'll find many more uses for it. I originally bought one of their larger jacks, but found it to be too large and annoyingly sloppy. I returned it and got the smaller one.
__________________
1995 YJ, 4.0L, AX15, 3" susp lift; Lock Right in Dana 30; 8.8 w/ARB; Flat Tummy Tuck, 1" Daystar BL; 1" MORE MML; 35" MT/r Tires;

StanF Tummy Tuck, Ford 8.8, Gas Tank Lift, Rocker Guard Fab, Ammo Can Console
StanF is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:23 PM   #23
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
a big thanks to everyone,,as of today i took my exhaust off and through all the other junk i had to do besides working on the jeep i was able to take the t/case out..
just the 2 bolts holding the tranny in with a jack under it aswell..
maybe tomarrow i will get the tranny out..im really in no hurry just learning as i go
thanks again everyone...

i actually had this jeep listed on cl for sale but when i started hearing the throw out bearing i never renewed it.....now i have decided to keep this one and give it a full make over...the dooms day machine...lol i just named her...
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
MkUltraOps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
a big thanks to everyone,,as of today i took my exhaust off and through all the other junk i had to do besides working on the jeep i was able to take the t/case out..
just the 2 bolts holding the tranny in with a jack under it aswell..
maybe tomarrow i will get the tranny out..im really in no hurry just learning as i go
thanks again everyone...

i actually had this jeep listed on cl for sale but when i started hearing the throw out bearing i never renewed it.....now i have decided to keep this one and give it a full make over...the dooms day machine...lol i just named her...
lol my buddy calls his "war machine" i dont have a picture of it but the name fits it verry well, its what i call....STUPID BUILT!
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM   #25
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
well after about a week of not working on the clutch its still sitting in the driveway with only 2 bolts holding the bellhousing on..from under neath the reversed torx bolt rounded smooth at the 11oclock position..i bought a set of easy outs but there not grabbing good enough to loosen it up,,,,i have soaked it with pb blaster and waited still stuck..anyone have any other tricks up there sleeve on how i can get this last bolt out...i have tried and tried..
i got the new LUK just waiting to go in,,,but this bolt is the only thing keeping me from dropping it out....
i have taken a week off of working on it ...spending some good QT with the grandsons hanging out at carter cave state park..,,having a blast in the 50deg. caves while its in the upper 90s ...lol
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
MkUltraOps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
well after about a week of not working on the clutch its still sitting in the driveway with only 2 bolts holding the bellhousing on..from under neath the reversed torx bolt rounded smooth at the 11oclock position..i bought a set of easy outs but there not grabbing good enough to loosen it up,,,,i have soaked it with pb blaster and waited still stuck..anyone have any other tricks up there sleeve on how i can get this last bolt out...i have tried and tried..
i got the new LUK just waiting to go in,,,but this bolt is the only thing keeping me from dropping it out....
i have taken a week off of working on it ...spending some good QT with the grandsons hanging out at carter cave state park..,,having a blast in the 50deg. caves while its in the upper 90s ...lol
only thing left really (if you cant get the easy out to grab)

what i did with my jeep, one of the driveline bolts(which are way smaller) snapped off inside the yoke, so i had to find a drill bit a little smaller than the Outside Diameter of the bolt and had to do the best i can to drill straight eventually the drill got stuck inside the bolt because of metal shavings getting clogged in the driil.

i then put the drill in reverse and it broke it loose( con is that i couldnt get the bolt off the drillbit, but whatever)

be verry verry careful with this approach not to drill sideways in any direction otherwise you might be re tapping a hole.

if you dont feel comfortable with this approach id have a shop pull it out. at least then if they mess up its their fault
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Red Eye Wrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 21
Red Eye Wrangler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MkUltraOps View Post
only thing left really (if you cant get the easy out to grab)

what i did with my jeep, one of the driveline bolts(which are way smaller) snapped off inside the yoke, so i had to find a drill bit a little smaller than the Outside Diameter of the bolt and had to do the best i can to drill straight eventually the drill got stuck inside the bolt because of metal shavings getting clogged in the driil.

i then put the drill in reverse and it broke it loose( con is that i couldnt get the bolt off the drillbit, but whatever)

be verry verry careful with this approach not to drill sideways in any direction otherwise you might be re tapping a hole.

if you dont feel comfortable with this approach id have a shop pull it out. at least then if they mess up its their fault
Use a left handed drill bit just a little smaller than the bolt. Run drill in reverse. Usually the bit will grab and spin the bolt out.
__________________
Looking for a toy and ended up buying a project.
Red Eye Wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #28
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
BAP is on a distinguished road
thats been my last resort thought,,,but there is just bearly enough room to get a socket on it using every exctension i and my family owns just to reach it..lol..
thanks again guys...
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
MkUltraOps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP View Post
thats been my last resort thought,,,but there is just bearly enough room to get a socket on it using every exctension i and my family owns just to reach it..lol..
thanks again guys...

that is the last resort. wouldnt reccomend it unless you have too
__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:57 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
MkUltraOps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish, wa
Posts: 396
MkUltraOps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eye Wrangler View Post
Use a left handed drill bit just a little smaller than the bolt. Run drill in reverse. Usually the bit will grab and spin the bolt out.
this would probably work better.

__________________
Its a Jeep thing...
MkUltraOps is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner