Gas milage horibble!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Gas milage horibble!!

I hav a 1988 jeep yj 2.5l 5 speed i believ its a 14.5 gallon tank. The other day i filled it up and i reset the trip guage and just a while ago i ran outa gas(i wanted to run out to see what kinda milage i get) well the trip guage reads 120 miles. Thats horibble isnt it? What do yall think?

Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Homer,NY
Posts: 78
8.27 miles per gallon. Yup...Thats Horrible. Something is wrong for sure.

ROBCAR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 29
What could be wrong ? I plan to get a yJ soonest a daily driver but if gas is like that !
Lime is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
What might it be?! Any thoughts anybody hav or had this problem before? A lil 4 banger shouldnt be this horibble ide understand if it was a V8!
Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RednekYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LITH IL
Posts: 1,325
Tires, gearing, and driving style play a huge role. Specs on the rig??
RednekYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
I believ the axles are stock i havent changed the gearing i think its the 4:10 that came with these. I hav it sittin on 33's with 3' lift.
Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
YJ Steve-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 160
Have you switched out the speedo gear? (Not that it would be the sole cause, but at least you would know your info was accurate)
YJ Steve-o is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ Steve-o View Post
Have you switched out the speedo gear? (Not that it would be the sole cause, but at least you would know your info was accurate)
I have not! Havnt looked into it much ig i should soon.!
Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
When lookin at replacing it how do i go forth on buyin em like i see they say teeth wise but is it by how big my tires are?
Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
YJ Steve-o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natdog View Post
When lookin at replacing it how do i go forth on buyin em like i see they say teeth wise but is it by how big my tires are?
I believe you need a 35 tooth gear for 4.10s and 33" tires. There are a number of sites with appropriate charts. I believe Quadratec has one one their site.
YJ Steve-o is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Jeep_Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 114
Images: 4
Part of your problem may be the speedo gear... but certainly not all of it.

Standard size tires for the Jeep was around 27" tires. Using the ratio of 33 inches to 27, you went about 146 miles instead of 120. That brings you up to 10 mpg. Still in the sucky mileage range.

Consider giving it a tuneup, including swapping out the fuel filter. If it has been a while since it has had some love, this will help.

Running 33" tires puts a lot of load on your engine. You probably suffer from the same complaint that many of us have voiced from time to time about not having much power in higher gears... possibly not able to use 5th gear.

The ultimate solution is to regear the differentials or swap them out with differentials with higher gear ratios. I re-geared my 94 YJ to 4.56 ratio with 31" tires and mileage jumped from 13 mpg to around 17-18 mph on the highway. This cost around $1400, but I have more power on the highway, I have 5th gear back most of the time and better mileage.
__________________
--------
Next mod - I am going to replace the accelerator cable to see if I can increase my 2.5L 4-cylinder's power and acceleration!
Jeep_Monkey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 29
What's the mpg for a 4cylinder yJ ?
Lime is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
ddferdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 202
Bone stock I squeeze around 20 mpg around town
ddferdt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Natdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Monkey View Post
Part of your problem may be the speedo gear... but certainly not all of it.

Standard size tires for the Jeep was around 27" tires. Using the ratio of 33 inches to 27, you went about 146 miles instead of 120. That brings you up to 10 mpg. Still in the sucky mileage range.

Consider giving it a tuneup, including swapping out the fuel filter. If it has been a while since it has had some love, this will help.

Running 33" tires puts a lot of load on your engine. You probably suffer from the same complaint that many of us have voiced from time to time about not having much power in higher gears... possibly not able to use 5th gear.

The ultimate solution is to regear the differentials or swap them out with differentials with higher gear ratios. I re-geared my 94 YJ to 4.56 ratio with 31" tires and mileage jumped from 13 mpg to around 17-18 mph on the highway. This cost around $1400, but I have more power on the highway, I have 5th gear back most of the time and better mileage.
I actually hav enough power! I use 5th gear every time i go out on the highway! The only time it slows down is up hills but i can drive 70-75 easily with no hills!
Natdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
randy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kiamichi
Posts: 38
I also get 20 MPG + with a bone stock 91 yj 4 cyl with 134K miles on it.
__________________
Creeps don't drive Jeeps!
JEEP, the original 4x4
randy111 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
1994 jeep girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
I have a completely stock 94 with the 2.5 5 speed nd if i run non ethanol gas i get 28-31 hwy. But if i just use regular gas i get about 24 hwy.
1994 jeep girl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 02:27 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
randy111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kiamichi
Posts: 38
ethanol gas

is poison for engines. I try to also use non ethanol premium. You are getting excellent mileage. How many miles on your jeep?
__________________
Creeps don't drive Jeeps!
JEEP, the original 4x4
randy111 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994 jeep girl View Post
I have a completely stock 94 with the 2.5 5 speed nd if i run non ethanol gas i get 28-31 hwy. But if i just use regular gas i get about 24 hwy.
28-31mpg hwy??? Sorry but I don't buy that. One guy did a conversion from his stock TJ engine to a VW diesel engine and he gets about 25mpg in town on DIESEL...
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
wrangleryj90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spokane,Wa
Posts: 493
I get 24 town or freewith my 1990 2.5l but I use non-ethanol gas
wrangleryj90 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
1994 jeep girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 27
My jeep just hit 160,000 miles. I dont ruff house mine or rev to high rpms. I go about 400 miles on a full tank of gas. I have put a new fuel pump in and tht helped alot. Mine is also completely stock. No lift tiny stock tires and tht mileage is with a soft or no top. With the hard top i got a little less

1994 jeep girl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC