Gastank skid plate - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
YjBrendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 88
Gastank skid plate

I've been driving around with a messed up gas gauge for about a 6 months now and finally looking to replace it. My question is who makes a good quality gas tank skid plate for a 93' yj? No point replacing my fuel sending unit without a skid if it'll just break once I land on some rocks again right?

YjBrendle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
StanF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 865
Do you have a body lift? I kept the stock skid on mine, but did a 1" gas tank lift for more clearance. I also replaced all the hoses back there at the same time.

StanF Gas Tank Lift

Also do the 15gal to 20gal conversion, if you haven't already.

I found the aftermarket gas tank skids to be too expensive for my budget. If you need more protection, I'd be inclined to augment the factory skid with additional steel (if you can weld).

Fill out your Jeep profile - it makes it easier to answer questions.

__________________
1995 YJ, 4.0L, AX15, 3" susp lift; Lock Right in Dana 30; 8.8 LSD; Flat Tummy Tuck, 1" Daystar BL; 1" MORE MML; 35" MT/r Tires;

StanF Tummy Tuck, Ford 8.8, Gas Tank Lift, Rocker Guard Fab, Ammo Can Console
StanF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Defcon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South New Jersey
Posts: 728
I'm in the same boat myself. I have been looking around for a while now, waiting to here back from GenRight on their exact dimensions. Usually I see people going with Warn or Kilby, but I do like the way the GenRight skid looks.

They are expensive as heck though no matter who makes them. My stock fuel skid plate has seen enough dents dings and bends to warrant a new aftermarket one, at least that's what I keep telling myself
Defcon 1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
YjBrendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
Do you have a body lift? I kept the stock skid on mine, but did a 1" gas tank lift for more clearance. I also replaced all the hoses back there at the same time. StanF Gas Tank Lift Also do the 15gal to 20gal conversion, if you haven't already. I found the aftermarket gas tank skids to be too expensive for my budget. If you need more protection, I'd be inclined to augment the factory skid with additional steel (if you can weld). Fill out your Jeep profile - it makes it easier to answer questions.
I have a 4.5 lift on it but no body lift. I've heard problems where the 20 gal didnt fit? Is that true?
YjBrendle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
YjBrendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon 1 View Post
I'm in the same boat myself. I have been looking around for a while now, waiting to here back from GenRight on their exact dimensions. Usually I see people going with Warn or Kilby, but I do like the way the GenRight skid looks. They are expensive as heck though no matter who makes them. My stock fuel skid plate has seen enough dents dings and bends to warrant a new aftermarket one, at least that's what I keep telling myself
I was initially leaning towards a Rock Hard skid but they don't make them for a yj anymore. My next idea was going with the warn skid. Never heard of Kilby? And Genright is just too expensive for me.
YjBrendle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
reno92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cardiff By The Sea / Glamis
Posts: 977
I have the GenRight on my 92 with 20 gal tank. It sits about 1' higher than stock and is rock solid. I do believe I could jack my jeep up with the jack under the skid plate it is so thick (and heavy).
reno92 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
StanF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno92 View Post
I have the GenRight on my 92 with 20 gal tank. It sits about 1' higher than stock and is rock solid. I do believe I could jack my jeep up with the jack under the skid plate it is so thick (and heavy).
I've read this about "1 inch higher GenRight" before, but I'm not sure that I believe it. I've never seen any measurements or side-by-side pictures to see how they get 1" extra clearance. Can you explain it?

Here's what I know: The top of the gas tank sits up tight against a frame crossmember (on later YJs with the polymer tank). There's no way to move the tank higher without cutting the crossmember off. See my link above when I did my crossmember lift - there's pictures of the crossmember in there.

Unless Genright is just raising the rear of the tank, and not the front of the tank. Raising the rear would give you the extra clearance where it would be the most useful, of course.
__________________
1995 YJ, 4.0L, AX15, 3" susp lift; Lock Right in Dana 30; 8.8 LSD; Flat Tummy Tuck, 1" Daystar BL; 1" MORE MML; 35" MT/r Tires;

StanF Tummy Tuck, Ford 8.8, Gas Tank Lift, Rocker Guard Fab, Ammo Can Console
StanF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Defcon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South New Jersey
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF View Post
I've read this about "1 inch higher GenRight" before, but I'm not sure that I believe it. I've never seen any measurements or side-by-side pictures to see how they get 1" extra clearance. Can you explain it?

Here's what I know: The top of the gas tank sits up tight against a frame crossmember (on later YJs with the polymer tank). There's no way to move the tank higher without cutting the crossmember off. See my link above when I did my crossmember lift - there's pictures of the crossmember in there.

Unless Genright is just raising the rear of the tank, and not the front of the tank. Raising the rear would give you the extra clearance where it would be the most useful, of course.
That's what I was thinking lol so I emailed GenRight to explain the dimensions of their skid plate and how exactly it differs from the stock one.
Defcon 1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
YjBrendle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 88
Just to make sure, 93' came with a 20gal gas tank correct? Thought it would be easier to ask instead of run my Jeep empty then fill it up. I figure I minus well do the sending unit and skid plate all in one shot.
YjBrendle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
reno92's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cardiff By The Sea / Glamis
Posts: 977
The stock skid plate has a rounded bottom edge, the GenRight has a sharp edge (plates welded together rather than bent) this closes the gap at the bottom of the tank where your 1 inch is gained. You can see the differance on the GenRight site, look at how much of the rear pumpkin is visible after the switch.
reno92 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Defcon 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South New Jersey
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by reno92 View Post
The stock skid plate has a rounded bottom edge, the GenRight has a sharp edge (plates welded together rather than bent) this closes the gap at the bottom of the tank where your 1 inch is gained. You can see the differance on the GenRight site, look at how much of the rear pumpkin is visible after the switch.
I couldn't really tell because they changed the camera angle between the two pictures.

Defcon 1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC