I'm convinced it's not the cowl seal....... - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley24 View Post
Not a bad idea. It is driving me nuts, and I know it is something obvious right in front of my eyes. The problem with a can cover is it won't go on over a soft top will it?
I'm in the process of creating a custom one atm. I'll be using it with my softop once i switch from hard to soft weather pending since its our temp has been alot of rain and averaging 13 Celsius.

RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #62
Mr Jeepy of California

WF Supporting Member
 
ChicoJeepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chico, CA.
Posts: 466
My Jeep leaks! That cowl seal is shot and I bet that I'm going to use a ton of silicone for other leaks ._. Wish me luck!

__________________
My back yard. Sutter Buttes. Best 4 wheeling around! All private owned and few get to enjoy it's rugged beauty first hand.
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L AX5 Transmission Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift 27" Wildcat Tires and Stock Wheels KC Fog Lights OEM Push Guard White SmittyBilt Soft Top with Rugged Ridge Hardware CB Radio Full Sound System.....
ChicoJeepy is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
We had a light rain most of the afternoon and I didn't have any leaks when I got in after work. I found one place on the windshield frame yesterday that could have been a leak source. Either I have finally sealed it up, or it only leaks when there is a hard rain. Either way, better than it was.
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #64
Mr Jeepy of California

WF Supporting Member
 
ChicoJeepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chico, CA.
Posts: 466
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130523_173238.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	252868

That right there is a "Made in China" cowl seal. Top of the line!
__________________
My back yard. Sutter Buttes. Best 4 wheeling around! All private owned and few get to enjoy it's rugged beauty first hand.
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L AX5 Transmission Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift 27" Wildcat Tires and Stock Wheels KC Fog Lights OEM Push Guard White SmittyBilt Soft Top with Rugged Ridge Hardware CB Radio Full Sound System.....
ChicoJeepy is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #65
Mr Jeepy of California

WF Supporting Member
 
ChicoJeepy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chico, CA.
Posts: 466
I have a question, what is the purpose of the cowl vent?
__________________
My back yard. Sutter Buttes. Best 4 wheeling around! All private owned and few get to enjoy it's rugged beauty first hand.
1993 Jeep Wrangler YJ 2.5L AX5 Transmission Rough Country 4" Suspension Lift 27" Wildcat Tires and Stock Wheels KC Fog Lights OEM Push Guard White SmittyBilt Soft Top with Rugged Ridge Hardware CB Radio Full Sound System.....
ChicoJeepy is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoJeepy View Post
I have a question, what is the purpose of the cowl vent?
It's the vent that allows air into the cab when you open it, run the heater or a/c.
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
I'm in the process of creating a custom one atm. I'll be using it with my softop once i switch from hard to soft weather pending since its our temp has been alot of rain and averaging 13 Celsius.
Scrap that idea. The tarp I picked up has a disclaimer on it that says NOT to use on automotive paint Returned that tarp since I didn't cut it yet and bought the Rampage 1161 cab cover for 115$CAN via ebay (open box sale). the item was 65$ and 50$ for shipping. That was the cheapest deal I could find... The joys of living too far up north!
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

Scrap that idea. The tarp I picked up has a disclaimer on it that says NOT to use on automotive paint Returned that tarp since I didn't cut it yet and bought the Rampage 1161 cab cover for 115$CAN via ebay (open box sale). the item was 65$ and 50$ for shipping. That was the cheapest deal I could find... The joys of living too far up north!
Revco666, Let us know if you can use it over your soft top.
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #69
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley24 View Post
Revco666, Let us know if you can use it over your soft top.
NP, definately will post here. From the information I reviewed I think it does. But some like Pavement End canopy versions or Rain Gear covers(two different versions) don't and the soft top MUST be folded down. Yeah I had to be careful when I was searching not to get the wrong one.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #70
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Well I just got my cab cover, unfortunately I cant use it yet because my jeep is going in for a steering gear box repair next week and I haven't switched my hard top to soft yet but plan on it next weekend coming. What I can tell you is the material on the inside is soft cotton so no paint scratching and the outside seems very tough and thick enough to handle a hard rain (BASED on my visual inspection atm). I did try to put it over the hard top and it didn't fit right for obvious reasons but definately something to look into for those who are getting wet inside at a stand still.
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Well I just got my cab cover, unfortunately I cant use it yet because my jeep is going in for a steering gear box repair next week and I haven't switched my hard top to soft yet but plan on it next weekend coming. What I can tell you is the material on the inside is soft cotton so no paint scratching and the outside seems very tough and thick enough to handle a hard rain (BASED on my visual inspection atm). I did try to put it over the hard top and it didn't fit right for obvious reasons but definately something to look into for those who are getting wet inside at a stand still.
Thanks Revco. I've been in a few showers the previous 2 weeks and didn't have any leaks. Top is down now so iI'm not driving in rain anyway. Keep us posted!
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Update.......we have had lots of rain this July and so far no more leaks!!!!
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:01 PM   #73
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ocklawaha, Florida
Posts: 2
Water in floor pans

Thanks for all the information Charley 24.
I have the same problem but I have a Hardtop. I replaced the Cowl Seal, and since my Jeep is white I siliconed the seal in front of windshield frame and body panels. I have fairly new full doors and seals. Looks like air vent box is allowing water to leak down inside firewall to floor pannels on both sides. My floor has the bedlinner materail on it so I don't see any signs of rust. I can't find any leaks around windshield on the in or outside. I will check hinges and bolts.

Regards,
cocodog is offline   Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley24 View Post
Update.......we have had lots of rain this July and so far no more leaks!!!!
Praise the jeep god lol amen hehehe
RevCo666 is offline   Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #75
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodog View Post
Thanks for all the information Charley 24.
I have the same problem but I have a Hardtop. I replaced the Cowl Seal, and since my Jeep is white I siliconed the seal in front of windshield frame and body panels. I have fairly new full doors and seals. Looks like air vent box is allowing water to leak down inside firewall to floor pannels on both sides. My floor has the bedlinner materail on it so I don't see any signs of rust. I can't find any leaks around windshield on the in or outside. I will check hinges and bolts.

Regards,
The air box will leak through the screws that attach it to the cowl. Silicone each one or better yet silicone completely around the louvered screen.
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #76
Jeeper
 
Charley24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 704
Images: 9
Heavy rain for 3 hours yesterday. No leaks!! I finally got it all taken care of.
__________________
'93 YJ / 3.5" lift (2.5" Old Man Emu suspension and 1 inch shackle) / 31 X 10.50 BFG's / 2.5 power / 5 speed / Quadratec winch..........KCCO!!!
Charley24 is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:42 PM   #77
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1
I know that this thread is old but I just got a 95 yj and am having the same leak issue. Replaced the cowl seal and it still leaks. I think that it may be coming in from the screw holes for the soft top. I will try sealing those. Just glad I found this thread so that I could trouble shoot. Thanks.

guccidare is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC