I have searched the forum and have not found this problem nor the solution. I have had this Jeep for a week and discovered wet carpet after rain storm which was dripping from dash area on driver and passenger side. I searched this forum and found the info on plugged cowl vent drain. (It was plugged solid), cleaned that out but now I have water coming through the cowl seam, (the seam that is right at the very bottom of windshield frame where it transitions into cowl) It was leaking at the part where it turns down at an angle. I ran some black seam sealing silicone down the entire length, and also inside in the areas where I can se it leaking, it didn't stop the leak, still the same. Any other solutions, thanks
i have a 94 that was leakin on the passinger side. i didnt have the top on properly, it was off just enough to cause a leak , i had cancer on the winshield frame . i replaced the frame and cowl also put a cover over the vent
There is only one sport, and that is FOOTBALL ,
and there is only one team and that is the pittsburgh steelers
I had the same problem and the solution is an easy one. If you look at your firewall you will see a 3/4" (ish) soft black hose coming out of the firewall which turns downward and is kind of crimped on the end. This is the fresh air intake drain and it gets filled with rotted leaves, etc and clogs. If you grab it by the bottom and squeeze it you will feel the crap in there. I began running fresh water into my fresh air intake (middle of the cowl on top) and started milking the drain hose until all the crap had washed out. This fixed the problem.
I cleaned out the cowl vent hose and that took care of the water coming down on my feet. But now water is leaking down the sheet metal right beside the emergency brake pedal, and on the opposite side in passenger area. The soft top is water tight. Is the place where the windshield folds down my last place for water to come in? Thanks
I went ahead and tried to isolate it and it doesn't appear to be at the base where the window folds down. It's at the seam which is about 1/64 inch wide where it transitions into the hood. I tried black silicone sealant, (which didn't work) but I guess I'm going to have to get the factory 3m type sealant. I am still going to replace fold down windshield gasket, (if it ever stops raining). Where's a good place to get that. Thanks, Jared
I had the same issue earlier this year - water would come in somewhere, leak under the dash (killing stereos), and travel to the ends of the dash where it'd run down the speaker grilles. Good top, no water at all above the dash.
I got a new cowl seal (that's the name of the rubber piece at the base of the windshield hinge) from Mopar. Little more money, but a good piece that should last another 140k miles.
When I folded my windshield to install it, I found the top edge of my dashboard was rusted out under the seal. No way that seal would ...um...seal to the rust, so I de-rusted it and painted it with POR-15 so the rubber had a smooth, non-porous surface to seal to. Then, since I never fold my windshield anyway, I put a heavy bead of black silicone RTV on the base of the windshield and mated the rubber seal to the RTV, and did the same along the top of the cowl (the seal moves with the windshield), before putting the windshield back up. Now I have not only a new rubber gasket, but it's sealed on both sides to clean surfaces with RTV. No leaks, and we've had a couple armageddon-rainstorms since the install.
I also had the same issue on my 89' YJ. After doing alot of searching and hair pulling, I found the water was entering the windshield frame thru the screw holes under the aluminum extrusion that the soft top hooks into on the top of the windshield frame.
After removing the extrusion, I found that the sheetmetal surrounding the mounting holes in the frame had cracked radially from the center of the hole outward. This was localized to the 2 holes at the center of the frame.
To fix the problem, I enlarged all the mounting holes to accommodate 10-32 riv-nuts.
This not only reinforced the area surrounding the hole, but also allows you to replace the sheetmetal screws with machine screws.
Next, I put a dab of silicone around the perimeter of each riv-nut just to be safe.
Before re-installing the extrusion, I placed a continuous piece of 3M double sided tape to the bottom of it. After securing all the screws in place, I ran a small bead of Dow-Corning 732 sealant between the extrusion and the frame to finish the job off.
It poured rain for the next 3 days and not 1 drop of water in my wrangler!