Lets Make A Plan!!!!!! To stick With. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-07-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Lets Make A Plan!!!!!! To stick With.

Alright the linked/60s are out I can't afford it w/ all the other mods I need!!!!


Here is what I got

a bare 8.8
stock d30
a bare frame
4.2l that could use some tlc
stock tf999
stock 231
a tub and hood


My budget is 20k not a penny more:nono:
and 3years build time/ weekends and a month winter lay off each year.

I want to buy a good Bender and notcher, and fab as much as I can myself.

I would like a Dual purpose rig. Driver/trail rig

OK, Lets hear everyones Ideas on their past experienced, what they would do with what I got, if they could do it over again........................

I have done a lot of research, on different set-ups but can't decide on one myself.



Lets make a game Plan!!!!!!!!:highfive:


I should have done this thread first instead of this noob trying to figure it out on my own.

Just remember the person's Idea that I like and pick, gets to let me ask a million questions and be cool about it......lol

Lets hear it!!! I need direction!!!!

This easy for you, you guys pick it, and I do all the work. A win win for everyone.


thanks,
Matt

__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Carralo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens GA/Boston MA
Posts: 443
What size tires are you looking to run? That's where i would start. For my dd I wouldnt go above 33's. 35's would probably be great for what your looking to do. 20k is a lot of coin and you can have an unbelievable machine if you spend it right. What type welder will you be using?

__________________
93 4.0 Hugger Orange
MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-...cs-165675.html

89 Carralo, 96 Ram 1500, 90 Camaro, 02 Gz
250, 79 Yamaha dt125, 78 dt175
Carralo1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo1 View Post
What size tires are you looking to run? That's where i would start. For my dd I wouldnt go above 33's. 35's would probably be great for what your looking to do. 20k is a lot of coin and you can have an unbelievable machine if you spend it right. What type welder will you be using?
I have a Lincoln Tig/Arc 185 here at home, but have miller 250 mig and plasma at work that I can use there if needed.

I will be taking 2k out of the budget for a tubing bender and notcher.

So 18K for parts and materials.
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
A little more direction.

I want to drive it on the Roads and rip it on the Trails. A little bit of everything I guess.

I would say a 30/70 Rig. 30% pavement 70% trail/crawler.
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 2,418
Talk about a blank canvas...you can go anywhere your mind can dream up from here. I agree with Carola1. You need to determine your tire size and build around that. If you go any bigger than a 35 you will be pushing it for the axles especially if you go bigger in the engine department. That would be my next thought, if you have a tired 4.2 you should be considering a V8 swap. Look for a wrecked donor vehicle that you can get the drive train and maybe at least a rear axle from.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.2/46RH/NP231, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, Ballistic Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT DaddyJeep build Thread:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dadd...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Carralo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens GA/Boston MA
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
Talk about a blank canvas...you can go anywhere your mind can dream up from here. I agree with Carola1. You need to determine your tire size and build around that. If you go any bigger than a 35 you will be pushing it for the axles especially if you go bigger in the engine department. That would be my next thought, if you have a tired 4.2 you should be considering a V8 swap. Look for a wrecked donor vehicle that you can get the drive train and maybe at least a rear axle from.
Pretty much summed up what was going to be my next post. I can't see putting a worn out 4.2 in the jeep im picturing your wanting to build. If I were in your shoes I probably wouldn't drop any money into that 4.2. 350 swaps are common so any adapters should be easy to find. Im not against the 4.2 if thats what you wanted but If i were to go with an inline 6 drivetrain, the easiest/best IMHO would be to find the latest 95 4.0/ ax15 you can. Or you could try finding a clean low mileage 4.0 from a tj. But first it's all about desired tire size
__________________
93 4.0 Hugger Orange
MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-...cs-165675.html

89 Carralo, 96 Ram 1500, 90 Camaro, 02 Gz
250, 79 Yamaha dt125, 78 dt175
Carralo1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo1 View Post
Pretty much summed up what was going to be my next post. I can't see putting a worn out 4.2 in the jeep im picturing your wanting to build. If I were in your shoes I probably wouldn't drop any money into that 4.2. 350 swaps are common so any adapters should be easy to find. Im not against the 4.2 if thats what you wanted but If i were to go with an inline 6 drivetrain, the easiest/best IMHO would be to find the latest 95 4.0/ ax15 you can. Or you could try finding a clean low mileage 4.0 from a tj. But first it's all about desired tire size

I only have one arm and want an auto tranny

lets go with 35's so I can keep the 8.8

lets stretch the back with XJ springs

Got a good friend that builds race engines that will rebuild the 4.2 and cam it.

keep the tf 999 3 speed auto

Alright go!
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Carralo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens GA/Boston MA
Posts: 443
Ok good.

So you'll have 35s with a 8.8 rear and d30 front. I'd go with a disc 8.8 that has a LSD. I would only lock the front. I'd suggest an Aussie. Will you be going soa? Will you be rebuilding the axles yourself? With 35's, auto tranny and 4.2, you will want 4.56 gears.

Shackles: Consider revolver shackles. Yes they're expensive but I'd say worth it.

Bumpers: fabricate or buy?

Paint: DIY or Pro

Interior: are you going nice/comfort minded or no?
__________________
93 4.0 Hugger Orange
MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-...cs-165675.html

89 Carralo, 96 Ram 1500, 90 Camaro, 02 Gz
250, 79 Yamaha dt125, 78 dt175
Carralo1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,010
Images: 5
Alternate plan: Sell all the parts listed..
Go buy a 2003 Rubicon 12k
Add:
Lift kit 1500
Tires 1800
Tire carrier 700
Winch: 1000
Cage 1000

Done...

Not as fun as building it from the ground up.. but you have a solid drivetrain, and its under budget and you can get on the trails sooner.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo1 View Post
Ok good.

So you'll have 35s with a 8.8 rear and d30 front. I'd go with a disc 8.8 that has a LSD. I would only lock the front. I'd suggest an Aussie. Will you be going soa? Will you be rebuilding the axles yourself? With 35's, auto tranny and 4.2, you will want 4.56 gears.

Shackles: Consider revolver shackles. Yes they're expensive but I'd say worth it.

Bumpers: fabricate or buy?

Paint: DIY or Pro

Interior: are you going nice/comfort minded or no?
Fab bumpers, cage, fenders, rock gaurds

diy paint

Interior: Safety seats, belts, bed liner, aftermarket gauges
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
Alternate plan: Sell all the parts listed..
Go buy a 2003 Rubicon 12k
Add:
Lift kit 1500
Tires 1800
Tire carrier 700
Winch: 1000
Cage 1000

Done...

Not as fun as building it from the ground up.. but you have a solid drivetrain, and its under budget and you can get on the trails sooner.
Ya, I know. It will take me 3 or 4 yrs to save the coin, so I need somthing to do in the mean time.
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Carralo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Athens GA/Boston MA
Posts: 443
Sounds like you got it
__________________
93 4.0 Hugger Orange
MY BUILD: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/the-...cs-165675.html

89 Carralo, 96 Ram 1500, 90 Camaro, 02 Gz
250, 79 Yamaha dt125, 78 dt175
Carralo1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,010
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hand View Post
Ya, I know. It will take me 3 or 4 yrs to save the coin, so I need somthing to do in the mean time.
so in other words you need time in the man cave away from the family... roger that!!
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 2,418
speaking of revolver shackles...this is a Jeep I saw at the Bantam Festival last year. He had the revolvers and Z boxes. It flexed great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-08-11_19-02-10_577.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	219437

Click image for larger version

Name:	553535_434073473309480_313621152_n.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	219442
__________________
87 YJ, 5.2/46RH/NP231, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, Ballistic Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT DaddyJeep build Thread:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dadd...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
speaking of revolver shackles...this is a Jeep I saw at the Bantam Festival last year. He had the revolvers and Z boxes. It flexed great.

Attachment 219437

Attachment 219442
I would say so!

Putting that on the list.

That thing flexes like a linked coilover setup

SOA or SUA??????
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hand View Post
I would say so!

Putting that on the list.

That thing flexes like a linked coilover setup

SOA or SUA??????
SOA

Since you are sticking with the 4.2 are you considering fuel injection? I have a Howell system that needs a new home.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.2/46RH/NP231, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, Ballistic Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT DaddyJeep build Thread:http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dadd...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
SOA

Since you are sticking with the 4.2 are you considering fuel injection? I have a Howell system that needs a new home.
What you gotta have for that?
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Got a donor!!!! Wife approved a new DD for me when it comes time for the jeep to get a the engine. So out with the 4.2 and in will go a 99' 5.3 and auto tranny, with 108k on it now, probably 20K more by the time I need the engine.

Also...........I forgot about my Grandpa's old 77 ford f250 that I used to ride in when I was a kid every day in the summer to from his gravel pit. Its sitting out behind my dads shop in MN where I grew up. A 300 ride out there this weekend to get the axles is in the plans. What ever they are........its free, and memories of my childhood days with my Grandpa will aways be a part of my jeep.

With money saved on axles and engine now makes the linked Idea a possibly.
__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Adair Co. KY
Posts: 429
Looks to me as your heading in the direction i would go with the project. A powerful modern power plant that will make a great dd/trail combo. Theres actully two current build threads using the 5.3 in the builders corner if you havnt already checked them out. Since your gonna be using aftermarket gauges i would look into the custom Double D fab. dashes. Their really good looking. Looking forward to seeing how your project goes, a build thread when you get started would be great as well.
kywaterman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
1hand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medford WI
Posts: 45
Made it home with my new axles. $300 for the pair.









__________________
Project "Bugout" http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/proj...ut-222121.html
1hand is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 21
Like it!

__________________
87 wrangler, D44, 8.8, lift 2.5 on 35s
mncdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC