lift questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
lift questions

Hello I have a 1990 4cyl and bought a procpm 4" lift but they can only fit 33"s so i should no have to re gear but i was thinking maybe getting this body lift Body Lift System by JKS and maybe some shackles to fit 35"s than i would have to regear it correct ? I am new to this and I love my YJ but its a 4cyl and was thinking if i was too keep it eventually getting a coil conversion and bigger engine so should i just stay with the 33"s and just upgrade the axles them selves instead of regearing my 30 and 35. and should i get the body lift anyways ? i am asking now before i install my lift cause while its all apart it would be easier and also i hear so much bad about shackle lifts. any input would be helpful thank you. oh by the way if i do the body and/or shackle i should upgrade from my t-case drop to a cye and cv driveshaft correct ?

1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
procomp*

1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: SCPA
Posts: 16,667
uh, regear with a 4cyl even for 33s, but you can get by. def for 35s. if by upgrade you mean swap out then yes, but you still may have to regear what you swap in depending. your getting pretty tall but yes you can get up to 35s. why do all this then go to a coil conversion, your gona drop a lot into the conversion and then more into lift to get it as high as youd have it now. as for sye idk much about the yj but ik for tjs anything 4 or above you should get and sye cv DS and adjustable CAs. at least one set. the BL wont change the angle of the drive line so it doesnt matter. and idk about the shackles because ive never worked with one but I imagine they are the same as the BL and dont affect.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
S.o.a.

If you haven't started your install yet you might look into a Spring Over Axle kit. Way less money than the procomp and coil-overs. And you'll easilly fit 34s or even 35s w/o a body lift. Definately have to regear. The stock 4.10s won't do it. I see at least 4.56s in your future. Good Luck.
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
yj93ben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Black Diamond, WA
Posts: 678
Images: 10
oh

Forgot something. Pretty much any lift kit on a YJ will require SYE kit and a CV drive shaft. GET THE PINION ANGLE RIGHT. Very important.
__________________
Ero sum: aut viam inveniam aut faciam = I will either find a way or make one
yj93ben is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
uh, regear with a 4cyl even for 33s, but you can get by. def for 35s. if by upgrade you mean swap out then yes, but you still may have to regear what you swap in depending. your getting pretty tall but yes you can get up to 35s. why do all this then go to a coil conversion, your gona drop a lot into the conversion and then more into lift to get it as high as youd have it now. as for sye idk much about the yj but ik for tjs anything 4 or above you should get and sye cv DS and adjustable CAs. at least one set. the BL wont change the angle of the drive line so it doesnt matter. and idk about the shackles because ive never worked with one but I imagine they are the same as the BL and dont affect.
thank you i am new like i said i already got the lift so i was wondering whats best since it is my daily driver and off road vehicle, but i only drive a few miles to work the most i drive it is too the trails which is max 30 mi i was thinking maybe getting a LJ in a year or two but i like the square headlights of a yj do they have a grill to use yj headlights instead ? thanks again
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj93ben View Post
If you haven't started your install yet you might look into a Spring Over Axle kit. Way less money than the procomp and coil-overs. And you'll easilly fit 34s or even 35s w/o a body lift. Definately have to regear. The stock 4.10s won't do it. I see at least 4.56s in your future. Good Luck.
well i have the lift at my house already just need to install it, i use it as a daily driver and for trails so i need it done fast i figured while everything was in pieces do shackles but like you said 35"s i definitely need new gears but it would be a waste to regear stock axles i hear, and also i am in the process of getting a house for me and my family so trying to keep it as cheap as i can rite now since paying off the mrs car still and was thinking SOA in a yr or two when the cars paid off and have extra cash or get a tj and lift that since i hear they are better for off road and more reliable but the yj is much sexier than a tj with their bug eye headlights and a jk who would want a minivan v6 lol
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
95YamJam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,566
The 30/35 wil not hold up to 35's for ever if your gonna wheel it. Then you'll have money in gears and setup. Just stick with 33's.

You'll need an sye and a new ds for a lift of that size for sure.
95YamJam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2011, 08:33 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
The 30/35 wil not hold up to 35's for ever if your gonna wheel it. Then you'll have money in gears and setup. Just stick with 33's.

You'll need an sye and a new ds for a lift of that size for sure.
ok thank you for that ill stick with 33"s possibly 32"s than and since i got the tcase drop could i possibly hold off on the sye and new ds for now ? since i dont go extreme with it i should be fine rite ?
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
95YamJam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,566
Honestly I don't think you'll need a 4" lift for 32's. You might rub some on the trail but not that bad.

I think with different offset wheels I can fit 32's and I only have lift shakels in the front right now.

The thing is that you may or may not have drive line issues. Some do, some dont. The thing to remember is to keep that rear dirve line at the right angles. You can do a SYE and a regular custom driveshaft or that cv shaft if you really want it.

What I would do is try the 4" lift, run the 32 or 33's, and see what the rear does for vibration. I would not run the lift shackles with the lift though. Worse comes to worse you can do the t case drop, then upgrade the d shaft and sye... Then later maybe add the shackles back if you want them.
95YamJam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Newb
 
DaveinHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
If this is your daily driver just be careful or you'll mess it up and spend a bunch of money trying to fix it. As someone else said if you do a 4" lift you can get away with a TC drop (may need a longer rear driveshaft) but the best option is an SYE ($300 plus) and a double cardan driveshaft (another $300 or so). And then you need to adjust your rear axle pinion angle. A 4" lift on a YJ (or any Jeep) isn't as simple as jacking the Jeep up. You can develop some pretty ugly driveshaft vibrations if you don't do it properly.
DaveinHouston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinHouston View Post
If this is your daily driver just be careful or you'll mess it up and spend a bunch of money trying to fix it. As someone else said if you do a 4" lift you can get away with a TC drop (may need a longer rear driveshaft) but the best option is an SYE ($300 plus) and a double cardan driveshaft (another $300 or so). And then you need to adjust your rear axle pinion angle. A 4" lift on a YJ (or any Jeep) isn't as simple as jacking the Jeep up. You can develop some pretty ugly driveshaft vibrations if you don't do it properly.
thanks all my buddies out here say i should be good with the tc drop for now and than upgrade the shafts later but they all have tj's so i was looking for what people say since i know YJ are like their own breed i hear, i will do some shopping around i guess and is there a recomended brand for the sye and cv or the double cardan driveshaft ? i never heard of that either so what is a double cardan driveshaft ? thanks again
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
95YamJam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fort Wayne
Posts: 1,566
A double cardan DS basically has two u joint yoke near the transfer case output. This helps the shaft run at a harder angle.

This is a type of CV joint.
95YamJam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
s_man692000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kerhonkson,NY
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wrangler View Post
ok thank you for that ill stick with 33"s possibly 32"s than and since i got the tcase drop could i possibly hold off on the sye and new ds for now ? since i dont go extreme with it i should be fine rite ?
I just did 4" rough country lift 3 weeks ago,I like it so far ,It came with tc drop kit ,but I still get some vibrations taking off on hills and such ,but cruising along it rides really nice actually, and the track bars have both been eliminated .Wondering if I should go with SYE or try just a cv shaft (heard of this alone helping) .RC lift w/shocks $475.00 to my front door JMoffroad on ebay had the best deal than any of the Offroad parts dealers.This is what she looks like before lift and after .Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 002A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	49600

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	49601

Sorry about the after pic ,it was dark.
s_man692000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
s_man692000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kerhonkson,NY
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_man692000 View Post
I just did 4" rough country lift 3 weeks ago,I like it so far ,It came with tc drop kit ,but I still get some vibrations taking off on hills and such ,but cruising along it rides really nice actually, and the track bars have both been eliminated .Wondering if I should go with SYE or try just a cv shaft (heard of this alone helping) .RC lift w/shocks $475.00 to my front door JMoffroad on ebay had the best deal than any of the Offroad parts dealers.This is what she looks like before lift and after .Attachment 49600

Attachment 49601

Sorry about the after pic ,it was dark.
Actually this is a better "before" pic more recent with flares removed for body work .Tires are 31 x10.50 15 and very worn .
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep pics 006.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	49602
s_man692000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_man692000 View Post
Actually this is a better "before" pic more recent with flares removed for body work .Tires are 31 x10.50 15 and very worn .
Attachment 49602
looks good i guess you used bondo and filled the holes for the flares but you go mudding yet ? i was thinking of leaving my flares off but i get muddy as is and so does the mrs she likes off roading just not getting muddy lol i just dont want to cause if i sell it i dont want people to bit** about it cause this is my baby for a few years until i get the 4 dr jk and drop in a hemi for a more of a family vehicle
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95YamJam View Post
A double cardan DS basically has two u joint yoke near the transfer case output. This helps the shaft run at a harder angle.

This is a type of CV joint.
ooooh ok thanks i will look into getting one, is there a recommended brand ?
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #18
Newb
 
DaveinHouston's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 13
I used an Advanced Adapter SYE and Tom Woods driveshaft on mine and am happy with them. I also installed a Ford 8.8 rear axle at the same time. I've got zero vibration and with the 4.88 gears and 33" tires it drives better than stock. But gettting that rear axle pinion angle just right is very important.

You really need to install the lift first, then the SYE, then measure for the driveshaft, order it and install it when it comes in. So it can have you shut down for a few days waiting on the driveshaft.
DaveinHouston is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-16-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
s_man692000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kerhonkson,NY
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wrangler View Post
looks good i guess you used bondo and filled the holes for the flares but you go mudding yet ? i was thinking of leaving my flares off but i get muddy as is and so does the mrs she likes off roading just not getting muddy lol i just dont want to cause if i sell it i dont want people to bit** about it cause this is my baby for a few years until i get the 4 dr jk and drop in a hemi for a more of a family vehicle
The fender flares are going back on after paint ,it is so hard to keep the jeep clean without them.And driving in winter that damn new york road salt gets slung everywhere .
s_man692000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_man692000 View Post
The fender flares are going back on after paint ,it is so hard to keep the jeep clean without them.And driving in winter that damn new york road salt gets slung everywhere .
oh yeeaaa it is hard to keep clean and your rite about that salt, maybe just drive to a drive in car wash and you should be good, you upstate or long island ?cause theres no place to go wheeling in the city lol
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Alexjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Colchester ct
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wrangler View Post
you upstate or long island ?cause theres no place to go wheeling in the city lol

I hear they have a rather large park somewhere in the city... We as a forum should go wheeling there one day
__________________
92 YJ 5spd 4cyl. NP231 w/sye. Cherokee driveshaft. Ford 8.8 in the rear with LSD, Dana 30 up front w/ aussie locker. 4:88 gears rolling on 35s.
Alexjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexjk

I hear they have a rather large park somewhere in the city... We as a forum should go wheeling there one day
Really ill have to look into it I live in suffolk county and theres a decent amount of trails I hear, im still new to off roading so I only been to a few spots
1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 08:49 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
s_man692000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kerhonkson,NY
Posts: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990wrangler View Post
oh yeeaaa it is hard to keep clean and your rite about that salt, maybe just drive to a drive in car wash and you should be good, you upstate or long island ?cause theres no place to go wheeling in the city lol
Not really upstate ,I am about 70 miles north of the city ,Nah I just hose it down at home ,the car washes around here recycle the dirty water ,I would be better off driving really fast through a local creek lol.There isnt many places to wheel around here ,I have access to a 4 mile long trail that goes to a friend's hunting cabin ,there is also a cool swimming hole up there,making the run through there soon to try out my new mudders.
s_man692000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_man692000 View Post
Not really upstate ,I am about 70 miles north of the city ,Nah I just hose it down at home ,the car washes around here recycle the dirty water ,I would be better off driving really fast through a local creek lol.There isnt many places to wheel around here ,I have access to a 4 mile long trail that goes to a friend's hunting cabin ,there is also a cool swimming hole up there,making the run through there soon to try out my new mudders.
true, i have trails that are illegal only but they werent strict until these idiots on quads got hurt and tried to sue the people so now you got your shit impounded and fines

1990wrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension lift questions Rebuilt YJ Tech Forum 6 03-02-2010 01:33 PM
lift kit questions 220shooter TJ General Discussion Forum 0 02-11-2010 08:40 PM
lift kit questions? mbusby YJ Tech Forum 0 08-16-2009 05:25 PM
Need some straight up answers to my lift questions 93yjsplash YJ Tech Forum 18 07-29-2009 09:27 AM
'99 Wrangler Sport - lift questions Bosox TJ General Discussion Forum 8 07-06-2009 11:54 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC