PCV Valve to air filter... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
PCV Valve to air filter...

Hey guys, I just discovered my Jeep leaking a little oil. Upon investigating I discovered the oil is dripping from the plastic PCV tube that runs to my air filter box. It had a huge crack barely hanging on... the oil is from this tube.

1.) Does oil "run" through that tube for any reason?!?! I have a nice little stain in the driveway from it sitting there several hours.

2.) The auto parts store only has a "PCV valve elbow" and it's $5 bucks. I need the "tube" that runs to the air filter box. Where can I find one?

3.) (Most Important) Can I drive the Jeep with this tube "broke" as in picture #1?

Thanks for your help in advance!

__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 136
yes. All that tube does is take oil that has been atomized of sorts, made to more of a vapor than a liquid, and runs it into your intake so that it can be burnt by the engine (emissions standards was the goal) but actually gums up your throttle body, intake runners and such. I suggest deleting them, I need to on my jeep and have done so on my cobra.

throw one of those little filters on the valve cover (deleting the PCV valve item) and put some caps on where the tube runs to (the intake box).

__________________
2007 Wrangler Rubicon Automatic, 35's and a 4" lift.
1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5spd 2.5'' Lift 32'' Tires (SOLD)
2001 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 5spd...I feel the need...the need for speed.
93wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Thanks for the reply!

...and nice pics on your profile. Is that a factory color, or has it been painted? Looks good!
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
Thanks for the reply!

...and nice pics on your profile. Is that a factory color, or has it been painted? Looks good!
glad I could help.

thanks man. Factory color. It actually looks a tad different now, its all blacked out, from the rims on up.
__________________
2007 Wrangler Rubicon Automatic, 35's and a 4" lift.
1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5spd 2.5'' Lift 32'' Tires (SOLD)
2001 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 5spd...I feel the need...the need for speed.
93wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
airborne*yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 167
thanks to both of ya, i had the same question... have the same issue with my '95 4.0
airborne*yj is offline   Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne*yj View Post
thanks to both of ya, i had the same question... have the same issue with my '95 4.0
crack in that tube leaking oil?
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada, Eh?
Posts: 1,892
I had a friend put on one of those little breather filters and it ended up making a big mess. Just a word of caution: if the motor is old and worn out more oil will blow by the PCV, putting a breather filter in place of the tube will allow all that oil to drip onto the top of the motor.
__________________
jeepjones is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
YJPunisher213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 299
Images: 14
For mine I went to the parts store and had them cut me a length of hose and got a couple hose clamps.
YJPunisher213 is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjones View Post
I had a friend put on one of those little breather filters and it ended up making a big mess. Just a word of caution: if the motor is old and worn out more oil will blow by the PCV, putting a breather filter in place of the tube will allow all that oil to drip onto the top of the motor.
there is an alt. method. You can run the line to a can with a filter and a 4 way fitting. 1 & 2 = in and out, 3 = into the canister and 4 = to the filter. This way the oil drips into the canister but vapors can escape/cool air is introduced into the canister. This method is called a catch-can set up and still allows you to keep the lines hooked up where they are, prevents any oil from dripping on the motor(exterior) as well as preventing any of this oil that does no good from getting into the motor. Just a thought. I only notice oil coming out of mine if I have put the motor through the paces, some spirited driving, but under normal conditions I see almost no oil drip.
__________________
2007 Wrangler Rubicon Automatic, 35's and a 4" lift.
1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L 5spd 2.5'' Lift 32'' Tires (SOLD)
2001 Mustang Cobra 4.6L 5spd...I feel the need...the need for speed.
93wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
bOATSUN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Peoria Az.
Posts: 39
Sasme thing happend here. Went to the dealer and replace it for $35. Repaired a vaccumn leak at the same time. Its all part of the emision system
__________________
Addicted
94 2.5 yj
Give it hug a kiss and a pat on the ass and wish it all the luck in the world
bOATSUN is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJPunisher213 View Post
For mine I went to the parts store and had them cut me a length of hose and got a couple hose clamps.
So it doesn't matter if it's a rubber hose(of the same diameter) or a plastic tube, right?

I think I will go this route.
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:08 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
schwag27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: niles, just north of chicago
Posts: 281
any pics of your set=up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93wrangler View Post
there is an alt. method. You can run the line to a can with a filter and a 4 way fitting. 1 & 2 = in and out, 3 = into the canister and 4 = to the filter. This way the oil drips into the canister but vapors can escape/cool air is introduced into the canister. This method is called a catch-can set up and still allows you to keep the lines hooked up where they are, prevents any oil from dripping on the motor(exterior) as well as preventing any of this oil that does no good from getting into the motor. Just a thought. I only notice oil coming out of mine if I have put the motor through the paces, some spirited driving, but under normal conditions I see almost no oil drip.
PO on my 88 took off PCV and had been running two breather caps. however i must have blow=by as the rear breather cap pushes lots of oil/fumes out.

would love to see your set-up!

schwag27 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil in Air Filter.... Is this a solution? jeepers creepers 89 YJ Tech Forum 12 01-11-2011 02:43 PM
Chaorcoal filter? EvoErik YJ Tech Forum 12 10-19-2010 05:50 PM
87 YJ Valve Cover Replacement - What The Heck? jsmcali YJ General Discussion Forum 2 09-26-2010 10:03 PM
filter or valve help kenndd YJ Tech Forum 5 02-27-2010 08:51 PM
fuel problem... check valve?? '94 4.0 mhaymes78 YJ Tech Forum 5 11-09-2009 06:19 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC