Please Help!!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Please Help!!!

I have a 95 wrangler that i have recently purchased and it has a, what i think is a 3 inch body lift, Yes I know it will be removed shortly but back to the question. I am looking into a smittybilt stinger and I want to know if this and a winch will work with the body lift until I get a suspension lift.

theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackyj View Post
I am looking into a smittybilt stinger and I want to know if this and a winch will work with the body lift until I get a suspension lift.
If suspension is stock, I think you'd be better off taking the money you'd be putting into the stinger and winch and getting a suspension lift. I imagine that with stock suspension, you won't be able to do things/go places that will require a stinger, and that winch will probably get a lot of use.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a rig capable of getting through places without using a winch before I went and bought a winch

But to answer your question, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with it.

__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
If suspension is stock, I think you'd be better off taking the money you'd be putting into the stinger and winch and getting a suspension lift. I imagine that with stock suspension, you won't be able to do things/go places that will require a stinger, and that winch will probably get a lot of use.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have a rig capable of getting through places without using a winch before I went and bought a winch

But to answer your question, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with it.
I do have a suspension lift but I only do mild offroading. so it is mainly for looks and occasional use.
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Oh! Well then my apologies! Yeah I don't see why it would be an issue, they're designed to fit any kind of jeep (well modification-wise). But when you say mild offroading what do you mean, like, rowdy enough to actually need a stinger? A winch I could see but I mean stingers are only for pretty in depth rock crawling and I imagine it would be a nuisance to daily drive with or at least take a lot of getting used to
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
Oh! Well then my apologies! Yeah I don't see why it would be an issue, they're designed to fit any kind of jeep (well modification-wise). But when you say mild offroading what do you mean, like, rowdy enough to actually need a stinger? A winch I could see but I mean stingers are only for pretty in depth rock crawling and I imagine it would be a nuisance to daily drive with or at least take a lot of getting used to
Why would it be a nuisance, It is not in the field of view and dont tell me that i am the only person who would have a smittybilt stinger and does not go rock crawling.
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
It sticks out a lot further than a regular bumper, you'd have to just adjust to the new length of the vehicle technically. And I'm not saying you would be the only one, I'm just saying that I've never seen anybody with one who hasn't and as far as practicality goes, you'd be better off with a different bumper.

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you at all or anything I'm just putting my thoughts and reasoning out there, playing devils advocate a bit to let you think it over more. It really all comes down to what you want in the end so if you want a stinger and winch by all means go for it
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
It sticks out a lot further than a regular bumper, you'd have to just adjust to the new length of the vehicle technically. And I'm not saying you would be the only one, I'm just saying that I've never seen anybody with one who hasn't and as far as practicality goes, you'd be better off with a different bumper.

Please don't think I'm trying to discourage you at all or anything I'm just putting my thoughts and reasoning out there, playing devils advocate a bit to let you think it over more. It really all comes down to what you want in the end so if you want a stinger and winch by all means go for it
First off Jeeps are not made to be practical, They are made to be Badass.
Second a stock jeep is not Badass.
Third to make a Jeep Badass it will need aftermarket bumpers, that being the stinger
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Sigh...its like you're taking offense to everything I say...look, if you think a stinger and a winch will impress everyone then go for it. But most of the people on here will tell you that when building a jeep, build it for functionality. If you're gonna spend the money you may as well spend it on things that will get you places and not just get you looks.

Just my. 02
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
Sigh...its like you're taking offense to everything I say...look, if you think a stinger and a winch will impress everyone then go for it. But most of the people on here will tell you that when building a jeep, build it for functionality. If you're gonna spend the money you may as well spend it on things that will get you places and not just get you looks.

Just my. 02
So you are telling me that i should not worry about looks?
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
No. Clearly we think differently about this and it sounds like you want to build a rig for street use. I mean, "mild offroading" can have a variety of meanings depending on who's talking about it. For you, I'm assuming it means not a whole lot, because if you really had the desire to do some wheelin', you'd be a lot more concerned about other aspects of the vehicle than how it looks.

It's a jeep, you build it how you want, but IMHO a true jeeper has the ultimate goal of having a capable rig. My thoughts were pretty similar to yours when I first got my jeep a year ago, so I threw in a 2 inch body lift and some 31's and thought it was awesome. Some minor stuff here and there, too, but then I started researching and learning and having a desire to build up.

My next purchase is gonna be a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier. but after that, new axles, SOA kit, and all the other goodies that come along with that. And you can bet money it's gonna look BADASS after all's said and done.


So excuse my rant, but that's all. You stick with looks if you want, but if I wanted a car for looks, I'd trick out a mustang, not a Jeep.
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
No. Clearly we think differently about this and it sounds like you want to build a rig for street use. I mean, "mild offroading" can have a variety of meanings depending on who's talking about it. For you, I'm assuming it means not a whole lot, because if you really had the desire to do some wheelin', you'd be a lot more concerned about other aspects of the vehicle than how it looks.

It's a jeep, you build it how you want, but IMHO a true jeeper has the ultimate goal of having a capable rig. My thoughts were pretty similar to yours when I first got my jeep a year ago, so I threw in a 2 inch body lift and some 31's and thought it was awesome. Some minor stuff here and there, too, but then I started researching and learning and having a desire to build up.

My next purchase is gonna be a Smittybilt SRC front bumper and Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier. but after that, new axles, SOA kit, and all the other goodies that come along with that. And you can bet money it's gonna look BADASS after all's said and done.


So excuse my rant, but that's all. You stick with looks if you want, but if I wanted a car for looks, I'd trick out a mustang, not a Jeep.
I never said that I do not wheel it but it is my dd so it cannot be rediculus. It has everything that it needs to be capable of any wheeling where I live so now I am moving onto the looks.
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
Okay, thank you for clearing that up then! At first you said you're saving for a suspension lift and then you said you already had one and it was all over the place. Well then if your satisfied with the capabilities by all means go for looks.

I still don't think you'll need a stinger but I just don't like the looks of them anyway

Anyway , happy wheelin haha
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
If you dont like stingers than Why Are You On This Thread About Stingers
theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Squeeze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Feasterville, PA
Posts: 421
Images: 1
You asked if a stinger and winch would work with a body lift. I answered but also have input.

I honestly feel like I'm arguing with a 13 year old...I'm done here
__________________
1995 Wrangler YJ 4.0L on a highschool-budget !

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/1995...on-168024.html
Squeeze is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
bill8bud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 65
OP to each his own. Go for it since you seem to be asking a question you habe already answered before you made your post. To be honest a winch is a waste for mild offroading. I have only been straped to a winch line once on the rubicon. When I took my flat spring Jeep, with two inch shackle lift, no track bars and 31s on the con. My did it change my approach for my dd. Now it has a 4.5 lift, tj flares, 33s,.dana 44. I do not need a winch or stinger to go where I want to go. Plus it is still a dd and it goes almost anywhere I point it.

Its your rig enjoy it and do what you please. Just do not expect any Jeeper to take you serious with bolt ons on a Jeep with a 3 inch body lift.

Best of luck to you.
bill8bud is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
theblackyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 104
Ya the body lift will be removed when I get the time. And when I ever do get stuck it is usually in mud and a winch would help so much.

theblackyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
body lift , bumper , smittybilt , stinger

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC