Serious title problem - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Serious title problem

Gonna try to keep this short. Got my jeep from a guy in Colorado. Title was jumped by 2 previous owners. Signed on the back but never registered. Can't find the guy who's listed on the title. Now I can't tag it in Kansas. Been told I have to get a bonded title, or might be able to apply for a lost title. The 2 previous owners/jumpers say they can't find the original owner either. Should I call the police in Colorado, hire a lawyer maybe? Seems like a big mess because I'm in Kansas trying to deal with a now basically voided Colorado title. I know I know. shoulda looked closer in the first place. Either way, I now have this issue on my hands. Gotta be able to put this thing on the street and I really need some help before I go postal on these 2 previous owners.

bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 196
I'm presuming you bought it from the latter of those two owners? Why not just have that person register it, then "sell" it back to you again? From the info you give here, no one did anything wrong, they just didn't register the vehicle while they owned it for whatever reason. Can't really go postal on anyone for that. Unless I'm misunderstanding something about this.

__________________
Homebrewing Beer since 2005
Airborneguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pelham, AL
Posts: 94
He can't. Because the title has been "jumped" as he puts it, it is still property of the owner that he can not find. It will have to be reissued in that owners name and then signed over to him.. If you can let it sit awhile (don't know how long in your state) you can apply for abandoned title. Then the state has to locate, or at least attempt to locate the owner. If the owner doesn't come forward, the title becomes his.
rocky_lange is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 196
Now I understand the situation, but why is that an issue? Dealer's take possession of cars without registering them and then re-sell them all of the time without problems. As long as the signatures are present on the title, I still don't understand the problem.
__________________
Homebrewing Beer since 2005
Airborneguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pelham, AL
Posts: 94
Because they are dealers. You and I are not.
rocky_lange is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
All valid points I think. I'm a little lost on the whole thing myself. Title says Ramiro Castillo Jr 766 Cottonwood DR. Loveland, CO. If anybody knows him, please let him know I'm looking for him. I think he moved but might still be in the area. He had or has a concrete excavation company, that much I know. He sold the jeep and signed it to a guy named Billy Benson who sold it and signed it to a guy named Ryan Bonner, and I traded my ford explorer to him for it. Under the circumstances when we traded, I didn't realize when I looked at the title that it had been signed 3 times. Even if I had, I might not of caught on to the fact that this was a problem.

The title was signed over to Billy by Ramiro whose name is on the front of title so Billy might be able to get it registered. That's a good thought. But, with the signatures of the guy who got it from Billy, and myself on the title, that might present a problem. I'm just dyin to find a solution. I've already done a good bit of wrenching to get this ride on the road and have plans to do more. As much as I love to take it offroad, the streets are what lead to the dirt and it's just a matter of time before I get popped by the cops if I drive it like it is.

Another problem is the fact that I'm in NW, Kansas about 4-5 hours from Denver so if I were able to go to Colorado to do something like have Billy register it, it would mean at least a day to get there, do business, and get back, plus fuel etc....bla bla bla....what a pain!
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 2,291
Don't know the rules in your area but try to apply for lost title. I can't see what the problem is if the previous owners all signed the title unless they did so in the wrong place, usually the extra place for signatures are reserved for dealers.......have you tried to google the guy?

White pages still lists the same address but no phone # but there are a few concrete contractors in Loveland, give one of them a call and see if they know this guy..
__________________
2013 WRANGLER SPORT 2 DR., V-6 ,AUTO,HARD TOP
(Sold)1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, Bestop top
/w steel half door and slider windows
5 speed, 2.5" lift, 31" tires,rack lights
Garyk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky_lange View Post
Because they are dealers. You and I are not.
That shouldn't matter, its just signatures on a line. I've purchased cars from people who hadn't registered them and never had a problem. Maybe it's the way Kansas laws are written.
__________________
Homebrewing Beer since 2005
Airborneguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
99jeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: nothern michigan
Posts: 449
Images: 3
get a title from a rusted p.o.s thats dead,take the two titles to dmv and title it as a "rebuilt" or "assembled" title. meaning you took two vehicals to make one. had a buddy that had to do that with a old truck he had!
__________________
99jeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyk View Post
Don't know the rules in your area but try to apply for lost title. I can't see what the problem is if the previous owners all signed the title unless they did so in the wrong place, usually the extra place for signatures are reserved for dealers.......have you tried to google the guy?

White pages still lists the same address but no phone # but there are a few concrete contractors in Loveland, give one of them a call and see if they know this guy..
Did the google thing and found a few numbers but no luck on those. Got Ryan to go to the address for me but apparently they moved. Haven't tried talking to other contractors though. That's not a bad idea.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
That shouldn't matter, its just signatures on a line. I've purchased cars from people who hadn't registered them and never had a problem. Maybe it's the way Kansas laws are written.
Ya, maybe I'll check back with the dmv to see if I can get a second opinion.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99jeeper View Post
get a title from a rusted p.o.s thats dead,take the two titles to dmv and title it as a "rebuilt" or "assembled" title. meaning you took two vehicals to make one. had a buddy that had to do that with a old truck he had!
Not a bad idea. Jeep population is pretty slim out here in the northwest kansas plains but I'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jeepin91YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 138
Images: 1
Well I live in Colorado and you might try to get a vin verification done just past the border at a dealership and ask them what you can do. Is the title from Colorado?
Jeepin91YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tobacco Country
Posts: 4,943
Does your state require notarization of the signature?

Question: Could you receive notarized bill or sales from both previous owners, mark out their names on the title and put yours?

I don't understand the whole "jump" thing. Let's assume you hadn't bought it what was keeping them titling it in their name.
__________________
'76 CJ7
It's red.
'99 TJ
It's red too.
Dempsey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin91YJ View Post
Well I live in Colorado and you might try to get a vin verification done just past the border at a dealership and ask them what you can do. Is the title from Colorado?

Yep, CO. title
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Does your state require notarization of the signature?

Question: Could you receive notarized bill or sales from both previous owners, mark out their names on the title and put yours?

I don't understand the whole "jump" thing. Let's assume you hadn't bought it what was keeping them titling it in their name.
No required notary that I'm aware of. Could probably get bills of sale. I don't understand it all very well. I just know that the lady at the DMV said that the title had been jumped and I couldn't get it tagged until I had the guy on the front of the title get a replacement and sign it over to me. I'm thinkin more and more I should talk to another dmv employee. Might talk to a highway patrol too.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Tobacco Country
Posts: 4,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfgoodmudder32 View Post
No required notary that I'm aware of. Could probably get bills of sale. I don't understand it all very well. I just know that the lady at the DMV said that the title had been jumped and I couldn't get it tagged until I had the guy on the front of the title get a replacement and sign it over to me. I'm thinkin more and more I should talk to another dmv employee. Might talk to a highway patrol too.
Well although it feels like you did something wrong...you didn't. You are just trying to license a vehicle that you bought that is all. I always feel like I did something wrong when I walk in the court house/dmv.

I'd say that a different employee wouldn't hurt for sure. Maybe you can get one that can help tell you what paywork might help push this through. It's the gov't they way over do/confuse everything.

Nick
__________________
'76 CJ7
It's red.
'99 TJ
It's red too.
Dempsey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
scott howard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: wichita falls texas
Posts: 1,035
You can get a bonded title with no problem.
it will cost you between 150 -200 dollars .
i have done a bonded title on a few motorcycles.
i have also just went to the office where i get a title and contested the title on a older car and got a title right then without having to have it bonded .
so try contesting it first and if that does not work have it bonded.
let me know if you need the number to the bonding agent i used.
__________________
Scott Howard
940-444-1972
scott howard is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 41
Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Does your state require notarization of the signature?

Question: Could you receive notarized bill or sales from both previous owners, mark out their names on the title and put yours?

I don't understand the whole "jump" thing. Let's assume you hadn't bought it what was keeping them titling it in their name.
Didn't Mr. Ramiro Castillo Jr just stop by your place and sign the necessary paperwork? If it is like in TX they just need to see the signature (which you have a COPY of on the front of the title) on the proper documents. Just make sure all the documents needed are signed before you go there, unless you look like Ramiro Castillo.
all3lemmons is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by all3lemmons View Post
Didn't Mr. Ramiro Castillo Jr just stop by your place and sign the necessary paperwork? If it is like in TX they just need to see the signature (which you have a COPY of on the front of the title) on the proper documents. Just make sure all the documents needed are signed before you go there, unless you look like Ramiro Castillo.
No, I've never met the guy.... I'll have to hit the dmv up again next Monday when I have a day off. It's back to work in the mornin. 12-14 hrs a day doesn't leave room for much else, but hopefully my jeep will thank me if I can manage to dump enough of that hard earned cash into her.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott howard View Post
You can get a bonded title with no problem.
it will cost you between 150 -200 dollars .
i have done a bonded title on a few motorcycles.
i have also just went to the office where i get a title and contested the title on a older car and got a title right then without having to have it bonded .
so try contesting it first and if that does not work have it bonded.
let me know if you need the number to the bonding agent i used.

Sounds like a plan. Will be in touch. Thanks
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Just got a bonded title for my quad . Takes about 20 days . They need to find blue book of jeep and the bond will be set at 1.5 times blue book . My quads bond was set at 5799 and it cost me 150 for a bond .

Takes 20 days because they most likely will make you send a letter to the guys named on the title requesting that he either 1 get a duplicate title and and send it to you , or 2 send a notorized statement refusing to send you a duplicate.

I seriously doubt he would be willing to go through the trouble though . That's where the 15 days comes in . If he doesn't respond, and most likely won't you wait 15 days then return to dmv with proof of delivery (sent through usps certified mail with return receipt). Then dmv will set the bond , then go to bond agency ,pay bond . Return to dmv and they issue you a title .

Edit you may need to get jeep inspected at dmv . Don't worry though I don't see any chance of you not getting a title .
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
ilmjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 233
Send a message via Skype™ to ilmjumper
Not to hijack, but what the heck is a bonded title?
ilmjumper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmjumper
Not to hijack, but what the heck is a bonded title?
When you need to get a title in yor name but dont have proper paperwork you have to pay a bond (insurance) just incase it ends up being reported stolen . In that case the bond agecy will pay the person claiming they still own it blue book value .
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Just got a bonded title for my quad . Takes about 20 days . They need to find blue book of jeep and the bond will be set at 1.5 times blue book . My quads bond was set at 5799 and it cost me 150 for a bond .

Takes 20 days because they most likely will make you send a letter to the guys named on the title requesting that he either 1 get a duplicate title and and send it to you , or 2 send a notorized statement refusing to send you a duplicate.

I seriously doubt he would be willing to go through the trouble though . That's where the 15 days comes in . If he doesn't respond, and most likely won't you wait 15 days then return to dmv with proof of delivery (sent through usps certified mail with return receipt). Then dmv will set the bond , then go to bond agency ,pay bond . Return to dmv and they issue you a title .

Edit you may need to get jeep inspected at dmv . Don't worry though I don't see any chance of you not getting a title .
Ya, doesn't sound toooo bad I guess but it would definitely ruin my day if one of these yahoos decided to try and reclaim the jeep.
bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Undead-89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Loveland, CO
Posts: 760
Castillo's house was sold in foreclosure in 2008 for 625 dollars.
Undead-89 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 466
send the titled guy a letter , the post office should have a foward mail address and he'll get the letter
hookuspookus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
ropanach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hoodsport
Posts: 233
I've had this problem two or three time in the past, one had 5 signitures on it, go to the DMV and get a release of intrest forum, make copys of it for the number of persons on the title,unles they are numbered, then you will have to get one for each, mail them to the PO's have them fill them out and send them back, the oregenal owner has allready singed of ownership, now you take all that to your DMV and see what they say there, I live in Washinton state, the laws there will probably be close.
ropanach is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 42
I had a similar situation in CA, bought a jeep from guy A but when he have me the title was under the bane if guy B. Guy B had submitted a realeasr of liability months back when he sold it to guy A. Guy A never registered the jeep in his name.

Instead of going to DMV I got a AAA membership and went to their offices to do the DMV transaction. They were nicer and guided me through the entire process. DMV would have just dismissed me and not cared. The $49 membership was well worth it, will never deal with DMV again.
Rcordero is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
bfgoodmudder32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcordero View Post
I had a similar situation in CA, bought a jeep from guy A but when he have me the title was under the bane if guy B. Guy B had submitted a realeasr of liability months back when he sold it to guy A. Guy A never registered the jeep in his name.

Instead of going to DMV I got a AAA membership and went to their offices to do the DMV transaction. They were nicer and guided me through the entire process. DMV would have just dismissed me and not cared. The $49 membership was well worth it, will never deal with DMV again.
Really? Triple A? I have a membership. Never would of thought to look to them for that kind of help.

bfgoodmudder32 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie has problem with new jeep jon883gb JK General Discussion Forum 30 03-12-2010 12:39 AM
Timin, fuel/air problem, please help! Ramon2 YJ Tech Forum 5 02-11-2010 08:17 AM
'97 Wrangler Cold Idle / Load Flooding Problem brad07x TJ Tech Forum 1 12-18-2009 11:10 PM
Shifting Problem lonerider6 YJ Tech Forum 6 06-01-2008 03:51 PM
TJ Error codes khenderson TJ Tech Forum 3 08-19-2005 12:36 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC