Softopper frameless softtop? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Schamburg, IL
Posts: 42
Softopper frameless softtop?

Anyone have a frameless softtop? Was looking to get some input on them as all have is a hard top with full doors. Just bought some soft doors with the uppers. Now I just need a summer top! If anyone has one please tell me how u like it and how taking it up and down is. Pics too! I also believe softopper is the only company that makes them for the yjs?

nickbdub22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
I love mine. Was easy to install, fits perfectly and looks really sharp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4268642683.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	228882



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2739280211.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	228883

Takes me about 3-4 minutes to pull it off. The windows are top notch too, nice and big but very high quality. Easy zippers. I would never go back to a standard frame top for my YJ. Good luck

__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
myquite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 496
I have the same top and the same review. i love mine and it's quick to take off and put back on. zero i mean absolutely zero problems or complaints. just make sure your door uppers have the round corner like your hard doors or tj doors.
__________________
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."
myquite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Nas.a7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,108
I have a softopper that I run with half doors. I have bestop super top upper sliders they don't completely seal out the rain but enough that its not really an issue. I love it and am happy with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130329_125705.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	228889
Nas.a7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
SmugglersBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: To close for criminals, too far away for victims.
Posts: 527
Can anyone give a link to a site that sells the frameless softtop for an 89 YJ? Everything I keep finding is for a TJ.
__________________
I would take an unpleasant truth over a comfortable false hood. You learn nothing from lies, whether someone else is telling them to you, or you are telling them to yourself.

- Me (sometimes I'm pretty deep)
SmugglersBlues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Schamburg, IL
Posts: 42
So no complaints! And putting the top down and back up is a breeze! Just get the round upers like the full doors and i will be ok huh! Also when u take it off, do you roll it up and just put it into the trunk? Or how dose that work?
nickbdub22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Nas.a7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugglersBlues View Post
Can anyone give a link to a site that sells the frameless softtop for an 89 YJ? Everything I keep finding is for a TJ.
You need a family style took bar to run a frameless top
Nas.a7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 34
Love the softopper got mine in December easy install took maybe an hour quality windows and material no leaks. I am running old style upper windows still seals pretty good so no need for me to change them. I also like that you can remove all windows and have a safari top
JeepGuy61 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Keeter6227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frederick,MD
Posts: 431
Soft topper looks saggy! If you want a nice fit get the Rampage frameless soft top come with new upper soft doors to!! Easy as pie to put on just let it sit I. The sun for about two hours to loosen up the fabric so it's easy to stretch
Keeter6227 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
Don't go rampage unless you want to spend a bunch of extra money to get everything you need. Back when I bought my top, rampage nickel and dimed you for everything needed. Windshield header, rear window bar, door surrounds etc.

Softtopper includes it all. One flat fee gets you a full install kit.
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Walker614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 160
I have found a couple on eBay that look good and say it comes with everything you need. Windshield rails, tub rails. Etc. all for around 500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-333170147.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	229157  
Walker614 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Walker614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker614 View Post
I have found a couple on eBay that look good and say it comes with everything you need. Windshield rails, tub rails. Etc. all for around 500
Brand new Frameless / Bowless Soft Top for Jeep Wrangler YJ (Fits model years 1992-1995)

Softopper, the Manufacturer of the original retractable pick-up truck topper is in production of these great looking functional versatile Soft Tops for the popular Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Available NOW! $489.00

The New YJ Soft Top is manufactured with high quality materials and workmanship and is Made in the USA! Not manufactured overseas or in Mexico like the other sell-outs.

The new frameless soft top arrives with everything you need for a quick and complete installation.

No need to purchase door surrounds, they're included!
Windshield header, no problem, it's included!
Tailgate Bar, Included.
Others charge $250.00 for these three items. Not Softopper!
Removable side and Rear panels can be stored above in overhead storage area (included).
No need to buy a Bimini /Safari Style top. This top converts into one in a couple of minutes.

Included is the main canopy, side and rear removable heat sealed windows, a windshield header, door surrounds, a rear window retaining bar and all mounting hardware. The Soft Top is manufactured in Boulder Colorado and uses OEM materials (the same fabric as a factory top) along with heavy-duty YKK zippers, Industrial Sunguard thread and hook & loop fasteners.

Clear windows are standard with Dark tint windows as an available option ($45.00 surcharge for dark tint).

Available in Black, Tan or Charcoal Grey. Please specify color in the comments section of your PayPal transaction, or send follow-up email.

Built with the same core characteristics as our industry leading Softopper truck tops.
Lightweight frameless / bowless design.
Industry leading Sailcloth Fabric with unbeatable durability and colorfastness.
Available in Black, Tan or Charcoal Grey.
Converts from full top to a bimini/safari Style top in a minute or two.
Better visibility then factory tops.
Easy installation. Comes complete with windshield header, anodized aluminum door surrounds, tailgate bar and all mounting hardware.
Heat Sealed crystal clear DOT approved windows
Not too tight like factory tops! Sides and rear are easily removed and re-installed.
Now uses a belt strip system instead of snaps, due to popular demand.
More adjustable to allow for temperature changes.
Side and rear window panels are easily removed and re-installed. Rain starts and you can be buttoned back up in a couple of minutes.
Rear window can also be rolled up in place or removed.
YKK zippers, Sunguard industrial thread, Industrial hook and loop.
All YJ soft top parts can be replaced individually, extending the value of your purchase.
Industry leading warranty. We stand behind our products.
Made in Boulder Colorado, USA
Important Notes: This is not a replacement top that uses factory top hardware. This is a complete soft top package that uses the Jeep's roll bars to support the canopy. It comes complete with everything you need, including a No-drill windshield header, 1 inch square tubing door surrounds, and a rear window retaining bar.

This top works best with full steel doors, and with most half doors and soft upper doors. This top will not work with YJ soft doors that have the squared off upper corners. If there is not adequate pressure against the door surrounds you may experience some water entry around the doors. This is common with most soft top installations.

If in Boulder - stop by and see us!

Satisfaction or your money back.

Price. $489.00
Walker614 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Walker614's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 160
That is the description from the listing in the picture
Walker614 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Keeter6227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frederick,MD
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinglbi23 View Post
Don't go rampage unless you want to spend a bunch of extra money to get everything you need. Back when I bought my top, rampage nickel and dimed you for everything needed. Windshield header, rear window bar, door surrounds etc.

Softtopper includes it all. One flat fee gets you a full install kit.
I didn't have to but anything extra with my rampage top, probably the place you ordered it from dug in your pockets
Keeter6227 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Keeter6227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frederick,MD
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker614 View Post

Brand new Frameless / Bowless Soft Top for Jeep Wrangler YJ (Fits model years 1992-1995)

Softopper, the Manufacturer of the original retractable pick-up truck topper is in production of these great looking functional versatile Soft Tops for the popular Jeep Wrangler YJ.

Available NOW! $489.00

The New YJ Soft Top is manufactured with high quality materials and workmanship and is Made in the USA! Not manufactured overseas or in Mexico like the other sell-outs.

The new frameless soft top arrives with everything you need for a quick and complete installation.

No need to purchase door surrounds, they're included!
Windshield header, no problem, it's included!
Tailgate Bar, Included.
Others charge $250.00 for these three items. Not Softopper!
Removable side and Rear panels can be stored above in overhead storage area (included).
No need to buy a Bimini /Safari Style top. This top converts into one in a couple of minutes.

Included is the main canopy, side and rear removable heat sealed windows, a windshield header, door surrounds, a rear window retaining bar and all mounting hardware. The Soft Top is manufactured in Boulder Colorado and uses OEM materials (the same fabric as a factory top) along with heavy-duty YKK zippers, Industrial Sunguard thread and hook & loop fasteners.

Clear windows are standard with Dark tint windows as an available option ($45.00 surcharge for dark tint).

Available in Black, Tan or Charcoal Grey. Please specify color in the comments section of your PayPal transaction, or send follow-up email.

Built with the same core characteristics as our industry leading Softopper truck tops.
Lightweight frameless / bowless design.
Industry leading Sailcloth Fabric with unbeatable durability and colorfastness.
Available in Black, Tan or Charcoal Grey.
Converts from full top to a bimini/safari Style top in a minute or two.
Better visibility then factory tops.
Easy installation. Comes complete with windshield header, anodized aluminum door surrounds, tailgate bar and all mounting hardware.
Heat Sealed crystal clear DOT approved windows
Not too tight like factory tops! Sides and rear are easily removed and re-installed.
Now uses a belt strip system instead of snaps, due to popular demand.
More adjustable to allow for temperature changes.
Side and rear window panels are easily removed and re-installed. Rain starts and you can be buttoned back up in a couple of minutes.
Rear window can also be rolled up in place or removed.
YKK zippers, Sunguard industrial thread, Industrial hook and loop.
All YJ soft top parts can be replaced individually, extending the value of your purchase.
Industry leading warranty. We stand behind our products.
Made in Boulder Colorado, USA
Important Notes: This is not a replacement top that uses factory top hardware. This is a complete soft top package that uses the Jeep's roll bars to support the canopy. It comes complete with everything you need, including a No-drill windshield header, 1 inch square tubing door surrounds, and a rear window retaining bar.

This top works best with full steel doors, and with most half doors and soft upper doors. This top will not work with YJ soft doors that have the squared off upper corners. If there is not adequate pressure against the door surrounds you may experience some water entry around the doors. This is common with most soft top installations.

If in Boulder - stop by and see us!

Satisfaction or your money back.

Price. $489.00
Hope you don't have square soft uppers , more money Rampage works with square uppers
Keeter6227 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Keeter6227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frederick,MD
Posts: 431
Best bet I'm telling you!!!

http://www.rampagejeepaccessories.co...eless-Soft-Top

SoftTopper is saggy not a tight fit..
Keeter6227 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
Keeter - that link you posted says RIGHT ON THE AD that you need a windshield bar. OP has a hard top so will need accessories. Maybe you had a softop already so didn't need it but those of us coming from hard top only get beat up by rampage if trying to use that top.

Softtopper is NOT saggy wtf are you taking about lol?? If installed correctly it fits perfectly. Mine is so tight you couldn't find a sag anywhere in it.

I'm honestly not a Rampage fan. I ordered it first and returned it. Felt cheap, plus doesn't it have the straps connected outside of the vehicle? All softtopper straps are tucked inside.

Personally, after handling both, the softtopper includes more and is, IMO, a superior product.
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
Those eBay links are for Softtopper. Pull the trigger man you will be very pleased.
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #20
Sponsoring Vendor
 
RampageProducts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 42
Hey all, just going to clarify a couple things regarding the Rampage Frameless top. There seems to be a bit of confusion between the YJ and the TJ tops. The YJ top comes with door surrounds and door skins and then works with all your other factory bits (windshield channel, tub rails, tailgate bar, windshield uprights, upper half door frame) - and is only for the square corner half doors.

It's the TJs that require the aftermarket header channel, factory door surrounds and an aftermarket or factory tailgate bar. TJ tops work with either door set up.

Another side bar, the link posted above, Rampagejeepaccessories.com is not affiliated with us. They were a customer who used our name to sell products but they are not us. Best to go to www.RampageProducts.com

As always, anyone can call us prior to your purchase if you are unsure what pieces you need and we'll be happy to advise. (951)277-4949 M-F 8am-5pm PST.
RampageProducts is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
myquite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeter6227 View Post
Best bet I'm telling you!!!

Rampage Frameless Trail Soft Top

SoftTopper is saggy not a tight fit..

Absolutely untrue!
__________________
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem."
myquite is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
amiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeter6227 View Post
Soft topper looks saggy! If you want a nice fit get the Rampage frameless soft top come with new upper soft doors to!! Easy as pie to put on just let it sit I. The sun for about two hours to loosen up the fabric so it's easy to stretch
I think the softtopper looks like a soggy diaper. I'm sure that it is a great top, I just dont have any experience with them. I have the rampage frameless and it has been a great top for the money. I did have to buy the other harware because my YJ only had a hard top in the past. It's ok though... I still came out ahead after selling the hard top and full doors.
__________________
2005 TJ with a few goodies
amiller is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Keeter6227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Frederick,MD
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiller View Post
I think the softtopper looks like a soggy diaper. I'm sure that it is a great top, I just dont have any experience with them. I have the rampage frameless and it has been a great top for the money. I did have to buy the other harware because my YJ only had a hard top in the past. It's ok though... I still came out ahead after selling the hard top and full doors.
Yes I did have a soft top before and Soft Topper does look Saggy
Keeter6227 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Nas.a7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,108
I don't know about you but mines not saggy its a tight fit on mine

Attachment 229517



Attachment 229519



Attachment 229520



Attachment 229521



Attachment 229522
Nas.a7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
Fact of the matter. If you have a YJ hard top only with full doors, you need to buy extra stuff if you go Rampage. At least a windshield header, regardless of what Rampage posts. They lowball the price and whack you with extras. Believe me, I can post up scans of both my orders. Rampage had 2 hands in my pockets.

Softtopper comes complete and looks great. They are not "saggy" like the same guy above keeps posting. Look at the pics being posted, all the proof you need. If you have a hard top and full doors and want one flat price for a COMPLETE setup, gotta go softopper.

End of story.
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JOEDOG223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinglbi23 View Post
Fact of the matter. If you have a YJ hard top only with full doors, you need to buy extra stuff if you go Rampage. At least a windshield header, regardless of what Rampage posts. They lowball the price and whack you with extras. Believe me, I can post up scans of both my orders. Rampage had 2 hands in my pockets.

Softtopper comes complete and looks great. They are not "saggy" like the same guy above keeps posting. Look at the pics being posted, all the proof you need. If you have a hard top and full doors and want one flat price for a COMPLETE setup, gotta go softopper.

End of story.
So the softtoper will work with full steal doors?
JOEDOG223 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #27
Newb
 
Ja31189's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4
Hey all, I've got the same dilemma ( hard top w full doors is all I've got) I was told that bowless softops will shrink when there removed for long periods of time( I live in MI so I'm gonna wanna use my hardtop during the winter). Softopper looks good but I'd hate to go to put it back on the next summer only to find it won't fit an I'm stuck w a useless piece of canvas. Do any of u guys who use softoppers have this problem? Thanx for the info
Ja31189 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Surfinglbi23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Haddonfield, NJ
Posts: 275
Yes, softopper works with full steel doors.

I've never had the shrinking issue and actually have never heard that before. I was running a hard top so I had it odd for a few months. It popped right back on when the weather broke.
__________________
1995 Wrangler 2.5
2006 Lexus RX330
2007 KTM 300xc
1999 Suzuki DR350
2000 Wrangler Sahara - bought new, now sold
Surfinglbi23 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Schamburg, IL
Posts: 42
Thank you all for the replys! Because I don't have any hardware and I have full hard doors and soft doors with the round uppers it seems I should go with the softopper. It was the one I originally liked and the price is right!
nickbdub22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Nas.a7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,108
You won't regret it, I don't and don't think I ever will! I've never liked the square upper soft doors, looks funny to me. I went with the softopper cause I had a set of upper hard doors but not full doors and bought it anyways and I think it looks good with with my upper soft doors(upper hard doors were not working). Like I said its not 100% water tight with the soft doors but darn close.

Nas.a7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC