steering wheel not straight - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
steering wheel not straight

my steering wheel is not straight. The jeep drives nicely down the road so the alignment is good, but the steering wheel isn't straight. I hear it is easy to fix with on the drag, but I'm not sure how can some one send me pics or explain to me?? thanks.

rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
sorry I forgot an A in straight in the topic heading I promise I'm not that dumb..

rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
On your drag link there is a coupler that connects the tie rod end from the pitman arm to the actual shaft of the drag link. Just loosen the nuts on the coupler and turn it one way or the other to get the steering wheel straight. On an old YJ you might have to use a wrench or some PBlaster to get it started. I believe the nuts on the coupler are 15mm.

After you get it initially straight leave the coupler loose and drive on the flatest surface you can find. If it's still off a little then adjust some more. If it's good then tighten it back up and you are good to go.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
On your drag link there is a coupler that connects the tie rod end from the pitman arm to the actual shaft of the drag link. Just loosen the nuts on the coupler and turn it one way or the other to get the steering wheel straight. On an old YJ you might have to use a wrench or some PBlaster to get it started. I believe the nuts on the coupler are 15mm.

After you get it initially straight leave the coupler loose and drive on the flatest surface you can find. If it's still off a little then adjust some more. If it's good then tighten it back up and you are good to go.
thanks so much and thanks for fixing my post title
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
NAVYCHIEF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,207
why not just pull the steering wheel and turn it a few teeth and put it back on. if it steers good and dosen't act up, why get so involved?
NAVYCHIEF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVYCHIEF View Post
why not just pull the steering wheel and turn it a few teeth and put it back on. if it steers good and dosen't act up, why get so involved?
Because if you do that then you are missing some steering on one side or the other. If you straighten it at the steering box then assuming the box is centered also which there is a little mark on the box itself then you will have the appropriate amount of steering both ways.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
Because if you do that then you are missing some steering on one side or the other. If you straighten it at the steering box then assuming the box is centered also which there is a little mark on the box itself then you will have the appropriate amount of steering both ways.
there is also a lot of play in the steering wheel so there may be another issue I think I'm going to take it in for a alignment.., the only problem is, I plan on lifting it in a few months and will have to take it in again for another alignment.. Thoughts?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
spanky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: sl,ut
Posts: 933
sounds like you have 3 options here.

try to straighten it out yourself
take it in for an alignment
live with it till you get your lift, and align it then
__________________
2000 TJ
Dana 44 Front 60 Rear
Stroked 4.9L
TeraFlex - LCG Max Kit, SYE, 2-Low Kit, High Steer Kit w HD Tie Rod, Dual Rate S/T Sway Bar
Warn Winch
FAB Tech Front Bumper
Poison Spider - Fenders, Roll Cage
37x12.50x17 Pro Comp Mud on 17" Pro Comp Steels

Too much more to list....
spanky is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-26-2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
sounds like you have 3 options here.

try to straighten it out yourself
take it in for an alignment
live with it till you get your lift, and align it then
I really want to do option 3 but I was told it could be dangerous?
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
Jack Lives Here!!!

WF Supporting Member
 
1BLKJP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 7,764
You can do both on your own. Your Tie Rod End's on the tie rod are right and left hand thread. There is a clamp sleeve on each end. Just loosen those and put a wrench on the tie rod to adjust it. You want about 1/8th inch toe in on your alignment. Best way to get an accurate reading is to spin each tire and put a paint line on it then spin again with a nail to get a straight line.

Also after you get it all tco then have someone turn your wheels for you and watch everything in your steering to see if you can tell anything that's causing your slop.
__________________
Thanks,
Jack Hickman

President - Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
Vice-President - ASA4WDC
Arizona Rock Rats
1BLKJP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BLKJP View Post
You can do both on your own. Your Tie Rod End's on the tie rod are right and left hand thread. There is a clamp sleeve on each end. Just loosen those and put a wrench on the tie rod to adjust it. You want about 1/8th inch toe in on your alignment. Best way to get an accurate reading is to spin each tire and put a paint line on it then spin again with a nail to get a straight line.

Also after you get it all tco then have someone turn your wheels for you and watch everything in your steering to see if you can tell anything that's causing your slop.
I really don't feel confident doing that but I'll try..
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Roscoe, Il
Posts: 5
After I lifted my yj, the steering wheel is off a little bit. Like in the previous post, its a relatively easy fix. I have been driving mine like that for over a year now. But my steering wheel is only of by about 10 degrees or so.
GGINN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGINN View Post
After I lifted my yj, the steering wheel is off a little bit. Like in the previous post, its a relatively easy fix. I have been driving mine like that for over a year now. But my steering wheel is only of by about 10 degrees or so.
Mine is stock, but may have been lifted by one of the prior owners..

I wonder if I lift it, the steering wheel will be straight again??
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
h8nagn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 384
^ if you lift it, then it might be worse!
__________________
Weather forecast for tonight: dark.
"
-George Carlin
h8nagn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
afrats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,531
Send a message via MSN to afrats
Mine got worse, just haven't bothered to fix it yet.
__________________
My strength is made
perfect in weakness.
2 Corinthians 12:9


afrats is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
update

so I adjusted my steering box and it helped a little but its still off.. I will try the drag link next.. I think i may also have a bent rod
rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
jpdocdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: beach park, il
Posts: 8,162
Images: 7
can't really tell if your alignment is right just by how it drives, and if the wheel is off, the toe usually is also.

seeing how you have questions on yor tie rods/gear box and seeing what is tight, i'd take it to a shop for an alignment. they are between 50-80 bux depending on your area, and they will inspect for loose front end parts before aligning.

if your alignment is off it will wear the tires, and you won't know till its too late.
__________________
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency. It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president."
http://mybroadband.co.za/photos/data...re_cowbell.gif
jpdocdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdocdave View Post
can't really tell if your alignment is right just by how it drives, and if the wheel is off, the toe usually is also.

seeing how you have questions on yor tie rods/gear box and seeing what is tight, i'd take it to a shop for an alignment. they are between 50-80 bux depending on your area, and they will inspect for loose front end parts before aligning.

if your alignment is off it will wear the tires, and you won't know till its too late.
it drives perfectly straight, and the tires are old on this jeep. The only issue I have is the play in the steering.. I want to get the steering all fixed before I buy my new tires next month and I plan on getting a alignment then.. I am putting some 1 1/4 lift shackles on tomorrow, after I do that I will see where its at and take her in before i buy the 31's..

rob1208lv is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Wheel Alignment tyleralan TJ General Discussion Forum 16 11-30-2013 01:24 PM
Steering wheel shimmy VTDan TJ Tech Forum 15 01-08-2011 04:17 PM
steering wheel mechanicforme TJ Tech Forum 4 02-16-2009 09:03 PM
steering wheel not centering upinar TJ Tech Forum 8 08-31-2007 07:17 PM
Play on the Steering Wheel fummar NorthEast Regional Forum 6 04-27-2007 04:40 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC