trans swap opinions??? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Question trans swap opinions???

Considering swapping my ba10/5 in the near future, it works perfectly fine right now, but I'm Leary of off-roading or putting larger tires with it as I have heard it is very weak, opinions??? Advice??? Things to look out for??? I'm new to jeeps so there is no useless info to me!

Thanks Yall!
-Adam

88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Do a quick Google search on the BA-10 to AX15 swap. Lots of info out there and it's a pretty straight forward swap.

weaverkb is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Thanks man, will do, and is it a drop in swap? Or how extensive of a job is it to fit everything? I'd be ok with keeping the internal slave if I couldn't find an ax15 with the external slave bellhousing
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
Get an nv3550 if you can. Same swap but strongller trans
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_black_yj View Post
Thanks man, will do, and is it a drop in swap? Or how extensive of a job is it to fit everything? I'd be ok with keeping the internal slave if I couldn't find an ax15 with the external slave bellhousing
If you do an internal slave, it's not that much more than what it would be to do a clutch job. There are a few differences but there are a few write ups on the subject that are very detailed with everything you will need.
weaverkb is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
If you have a working trans then you have the luxury of waiting for the external bell house. I have had my slave fail on me on the trails. Having an external is the difference that will get you home. Basic tools are all you need to work on it vs pulling the transmission. There is a reason they changed it to external.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
If you have a working trans then you have the luxury of waiting for the external bell house. I have had my slave fail on me on the trails. Having an external is the difference that will get you home. Basic tools are all you need to work on it vs pulling the transmission. There is a reason they changed it to external.
Hadn't thought about it like that, Thanks man, I live near performance off-road so I called and am waiting for them to get back to me to see if they could do the swap or at least find me a trans, anyone know of any good trans shops in northern ky/ Cincinnati area?? Also, I know its not much but what kinda life can I expect out of the ba10 with stock tires and mild offroading?
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
If you are running stock tires and not offroading real hard you wont break it.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post
If you are running stock tires and not offroading real hard you wont break it.
Good to know, just need to make it last a bit till I can get some funds for the swap, its going to be my daily driver as soon as I can sell my ranger, which will most likely fund it lol
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Is there anywhere I can buy a full swap "kit" for the trans conversion? I know I can source the trans from smartparts and the other stuff from advance adapters but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper route??
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Beachcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_black_yj View Post
Is there anywhere I can buy a full swap "kit" for the trans conversion? I know I can source the trans from smartparts and the other stuff from advance adapters but I'm wondering if there's a cheaper route??

Keep your eye on Ebay/Clist...I found a whole package nearby for cheap!

How close is this to you?

Jeep AX 15 Transmission Swap EX Slave Flywheel Clutch Fork Bearing 4 0 ECU | eBay

There used to be an outfit in Tallahassee, Fl that would ship you an entire swap, too.....for about 1400 w/ a rebuilt AX-15, iirc.

If you can't find them, I'd contact the closest (save on shipping) discount rebuilder on Ebay/etc and see what they could do as far as price on everything in one bundle.
Beachcruiser is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcruiser View Post

Keep your eye on Ebay/Clist...I found a whole package nearby for cheap!

How close is this to you?

Jeep AX 15 Transmission Swap EX Slave Flywheel Clutch Fork Bearing 4 0 ECU | eBay

There used to be an outfit in Tallahassee, Fl that would ship you an entire swap, too.....for about 1400 w/ a rebuilt AX-15, iirc.

If you can't find them, I'd contact the closest (save on shipping) discount rebuilder on Ebay/etc and see what they could do as far as price on everything in one bundle.
Unfortunately I live in northern ky, Cincinnati area so that's a little bit out there for me :/ but I contacted Moab off-road in Louisville and max told me that they do the swaps there and generally run about $1500 with a good used tranny, so as long as he holds true to that I will most likely go that route, I'd ideally like to go with the nv if I can get it done for a reasonable price, but thanks everyone! Yall are great help!
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_black_yj View Post

Unfortunately I live in northern ky, Cincinnati area so that's a little bit out there for me :/ but I contacted Moab off-road in Louisville and max told me that they do the swaps there and generally run about $1500 with a good used tranny, so as long as he holds true to that I will most likely go that route, I'd ideally like to go with the nv if I can get it done for a reasonable price, but thanks everyone! Yall are great help!
Personally I wouldn't spend a penny over $400 for an ax15. I paid $200 for my current one and have been beating the crap out of it for a year now. I would spend $550 Max on an nv3550. Just keep an eye on Craigslist. If you can't do it yourself ask them how much for just labor if you supply the parts.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post

Personally I wouldn't spend a penny over $400 for an ax15. I paid $200 for my current one and have been beating the crap out of it for a year now. I would spend $550 Max on an nv3550. Just keep an eye on Craigslist. If you can't do it yourself ask them how much for just labor if you supply the parts.
Ill keep that in mind, Roy at performance off-road kept trying to talk me out of it, not surprised... He told me it'd end up running me about 3 grand and I almost hung up the phone right there
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_black_yj View Post

Ill keep that in mind, Roy at performance off-road kept trying to talk me out of it, not surprised... He told me it'd end up running me about 3 grand and I almost hung up the phone right there
They probably act like it is real complicated too. Big secret with pulling a transmission is that it is super strait forward and simple in a jeep. Nothing you need to pay someone else to do. Just call a couple buddies and supply the beer. It is pretty damn hard to screw it up. Hardest part is getting the input shaft on the transmission to go through the clutch and into the pilot bushing. If you swap to an external slave that will be more complicated to swap then the transmission. Tons of write ups on it though.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Yeah I just put a clutch in it, I know its not hard to pull it out, I'm just not too jeep savvy yet and I'd like it to be external slave
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_black_yj View Post
Yeah I just put a clutch in it, I know its not hard to pull it out, I'm just not too jeep savvy yet and I'd like it to be external slave
The external slave it just swapping the bellhouse and bearing retainer. Those are the only two parts that are different on the transmission. Swapping both is about 15 bolts on the front of the transmission, nothing gets opened up. You then change the throwout bearing to a different style that rides the bearing retainer. The whole master slave assembly gets removed as one piece. It is really easy, especially if you did a clutch.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverkillYJ View Post

The external slave it just swapping the bellhouse and bearing retainer. Those are the only two parts that are different on the transmission. Swapping both is about 15 bolts on the front of the transmission, nothing gets opened up. You then change the throwout bearing to a different style that rides the bearing retainer. The whole master slave assembly gets removed as one piece. It is really easy, especially if you did a clutch.
Well that doesn't sound too bad! Just gotta find the parts :/
88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
OverkillYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,904
If you find an AX15 already setup for external all you need is the external master/slave assembly.
__________________
Complete rebuild axle/engine/everything swap in progress:
Parts already gathered for assembly: 2001 Ford 302, 1990 Mustang GT 5.0 ECU and wiring, NP435, NP205, Pair of axles from 04' F350 SuperDuty (Sterling 10.5 Posi rear, Dana 60HP Front-Both Disk Brakes 3.73 Gears), 37" H1 Tires, 9" lift TJ Coils for 2 link conversion in front, Stage 2 Clutch Kit, 3 Row Aluminum Radiator, Chevy Astro Steering box (4" front Stretch), XJ Rear Leaf Springs (6" Rear Stretch), and lots more.
OverkillYJ is offline   Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
871kevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 282
I just did my swap with an internal slave. Very easy to do. Everything bolted right up. I was able to use my clutch and pilot etc. I wouldnt worry about the external swap just for the off chance that it could break on the trail.
871kevin is offline   Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
88_black_yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 871kevin View Post
I just did my swap with an internal slave. Very easy to do. Everything bolted right up. I was able to use my clutch and pilot etc. I wouldnt worry about the external swap just for the off chance that it could break on the trail.
Yeah I think at this point I'm just gonna go with whichever trans I can find that's in the best shape, i like the convenience of external, but I'm open to anything

88_black_yj is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
88 yj , ax15 , ba 10/5 , swap , trans

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC