well i agree shackle lift must go - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
well i agree shackle lift must go

So over the last week or so I've been looking into my shackle lift that came on my jeep when I got it. It definitely is a waste . So I'm thinking of taking those out and putting the stock shackles back in once I get some stock shackles. Then IMA buy buy a whole entire 3" block lift instead. Cause they worked better on the last jeep I owned and I seemed to have more stability in steering and driving . So any got any pro's and con's of the change in heart I had. Or any advice for a new wrangler runner

__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Build em Big...

WF Supporting Member
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 444
Images: 3
To do a 3" block lift you will have to do a SOA lift and with 3" blocks you will have over 9" lift, you will also need a lot of driveline changes, high steer kit, SYE with shaft, I didn't know if you realize what is involved.

Monster93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Build em Big...

WF Supporting Member
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 444
Images: 3
Unless you mean 3" body lift, in that case disregard last post. Lol
Monster93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
DREDnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 214
Three inch body lift is a whole other can of worms. Besides the ugliness of looking like a pinto wagon on a blazer frame, when you flex even a little bit, the extra leverage has a tendency to pull the mount bolts through the sheet metal. No matter how big a washer you use. Your fan doesn't line up to draw air through the radiator, your shifter will hit the tub opening and you lose 2nd, 4th, reverse, and 4LO.
Etc. Etc.

Why wont you do it right and get a 2 1/2 inch lift?

doing it cheap will cost more in the end
__________________
'91 YJ Sahara 4.0L/AX-15/NP231, D30/D35 @3.07
'12 KK Cherokee 3.7L/42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25 @3.73
"Non vi sed, Arte"
DREDnot is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Build em Big...

WF Supporting Member
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 444
Images: 3
I agree ^^ I'm not a fan of body lifts either.. I'm a believer of do it right the first time.
Monster93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Zack93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 937, Ohio
Posts: 304
Save up your money and do it right. A 3" body lift is too much for a body lift IMO. And besides the fact that would lower you 3"s lol 3" blocks are just unsafe for anything but driving to the mall and back. Seriously, save up your money and do it right

Edit: x2 to everything said above me
__________________
The above is not intended to offend, insult, or ridicule in any way, shape or form.
1995 YJ, 1992 MJ,1998 XJ,
تفخر الكافر -Proud Infidel
Zack93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: north of St.Franisville La.
Posts: 2,207
Send a message via Yahoo to Nubby55
I was thinking about those 3" blocks on stock springs, lol, that would put you down on the bump stops.
__________________
The Government can not give anything to anybody that it does not first take from someone else !
Nubby55 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Decoy_58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Calif (modesto)
Posts: 358
I say if you think a 3" body lift do it i run a 3" body lift on mine IT IS NOT UGLY mine looks good wit a 3" body lift some of these ppl cry to much because they dont like it. I say it is your jeep do as you wish .Here is a pick of mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	1422290  
__________________
1990 4.2 MPFI, 3" body lift, 1" shackle lift,2.5 suspension lift, 8000lbs winch, 33x12.50x15
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
LUV YOUR YJ
HANG THE BASTARD ECV (DECOY)58
Decoy_58 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Well dry to say it guys but from everyone that has criticed the shackle lift then u all start criticing the 3" inch block lift. So I do agree with the man decoy here. There's to many ppl whinning about certain things u haven't done or what u have no clue on. I asked for the pros and cons not what u think is best. So if u can't list what u think is good or bad on them. I'll stick with keeping my thoughts to my self. So be kool and only tell me them good or bad things that u dealt with them. NO SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 03:19 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
DREDnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
So over the last week or so I've been looking into my shackle lift that came on my jeep when I got it. It definitely is a waste . So I'm thinking of taking those out and putting the stock shackles back in once I get some stock shackles. Then IMA buy buy a whole entire 3" block lift instead. Cause they worked better on the last jeep I owned and I seemed to have more stability in steering and driving . So any got any pro's and con's of the change in heart I had. Or any advice for a new wrangler runner
You asked for advice on your wobbly handling, so a bunch of guys told you that your ridiculous shackle lift needed to go. This is based on some of these guys on here having decades of experience in seeing what happens on their, or OTHER PEOPLE'S jeeps.

Now you ask for advice on a 3"body lift. (A "block" lift is for lifting pick-ups and stuff with the springs over the axle) These same guys that have decades of experience tell you that the body lift is damaging, dangerous, and has obstacles that you don't know about. We've seen that these are shit and wisely steered clear of them. Some of us even did them and found out the hard way that they suck.

Just because one or two booty fab types have them doesn't mean it's its a good way to go. And just because we don't have one doesn't mean that we are not qualified to have an informed opinion.

Cheap out and half ass it if that's your thing, but don't ask for advice. Just do a write-up on your install.
__________________
'91 YJ Sahara 4.0L/AX-15/NP231, D30/D35 @3.07
'12 KK Cherokee 3.7L/42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25 @3.73
"Non vi sed, Arte"
DREDnot is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
roadyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west palm fla
Posts: 991
lets see the good- its a cheap way to get some extra clearance for bigger tires.

the bad- you only lift the body, the frame, etc. is still low, you can have clearance issues when wheeling.
stacking spacers on top of worn out body mounts doesn't up grade anything, your still running the same ol worn out mounts.
3" longer bolts put extra stress on the mounts, people have torn holes in the body from the extra strain.
your gearshift will hit the tub so you will have to trim it.

AND, IMO- its butt azz ugly, but its your jeep , do what you want
__________________
1987, 4,2, rebuilt, head casting cleaned up, port matched and milled-9.5 compression, hotter cam holley 4 bbl
roadyrob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Zack93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 937, Ohio
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post
You asked for advice on your wobbly handling, so a bunch of guys told you that your ridiculous shackle lift needed to go. This is based on some of these guys on here having decades of experience in seeing what happens on their, or OTHER PEOPLE'S jeeps. Now you ask for advice on a 3"body lift. (A "block" lift is for lifting pick-ups and stuff with the springs over the axle) These same guys that have decades of experience tell you that the body lift is damaging, dangerous, and has obstacles that you don't know about. We've seen that these are shit and wisely steered clear of them. Some of us even did them and found out the hard way that they suck. Just because one or two booty fab types have them doesn't mean it's its a good way to go. And just because we don't have one doesn't mean that we are not qualified to have an informed opinion. Cheap out and half ass it if that's your thing, but don't ask for advice. Just do a write-up on your install.

What is end thread thing?

/thread lol
__________________
The above is not intended to offend, insult, or ridicule in any way, shape or form.
1995 YJ, 1992 MJ,1998 XJ,
تفخر الكافر -Proud Infidel
Zack93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
Well dry to say it guys but from everyone that has criticed the shackle lift then u all start criticing the 3" inch block lift. So I do agree with the man decoy here. There's to many ppl whinning about certain things u haven't done or what u have no clue on. I asked for the pros and cons not what u think is best. So if u can't list what u think is good or bad on them. I'll stick with keeping my thoughts to my self. So be kool and only tell me them good or bad things that u dealt with them. NO SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!
Here's the thing. A lot of people do what is cheap to get their desired look. The prime examples of this are body lift and shackle lift. The previous owner went the shackle lift route. You are doing no better by putting a 3 inch body lift.

Leave the shackle's on there and save your money for a 2 inch or 2.5 inch suspension lift and then get some boomerang shackles since they need replaced. Just do it right the first time.
__________________
1995 YJ
4.0, AX15, 3.07, 31x10.50s
Thomas S is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas S View Post
Here's the thing. A lot of people do what is cheap to get their desired look. The prime examples of this are body lift and shackle lift. The previous owner went the shackle lift route. You are doing no better by putting a 3 inch body lift.

Leave the shackle's on there and save your money for a 2 inch or 2.5 inch suspension lift and then get some boomerang shackles since they need replaced. Just do it right the first time.
I'm not doing a body lift I'm going to go the route of the lifting lowering block setup because the both lift is a waste. The shackles the guy put on mine was ignorant of course.to much torque on the leaf springs with my 34's and the 31 do the same to my leaf springs. So IMA go to something like everyone suggested boomerang leaf spring shackles. And gunna put the 3 inch blocks under the springs and go that route I'm a father of four young children, so money is limited and things on my jeep needed major attention like a new rear upper right shock tower and body work and new front floor pans. So I got to be some what practical on my spending. So I do apologize for the lash out on u all last night plz understand I'm trying to be practical and fix this jeep in a timely fashion for my family. I'm not much for mudding anymore. I do lift for looks and to make my jeep a one of a kind. And maybe later down the line I might return to more mudding but for now daddy duty is always knocking on my door lol
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Does the wranglers from 1991 have coils spring and is there a way if not to out some in the front to stiffen it up some . Like I said I don't do much mudding so the control of front is more important to me
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 152
Wranglers from 87 to 95 have leaf springs on all four corners. It's very expensive to switch them to coils so you really can't use any spacers or lift blocks. Since the leaf springs are under the axles, putting lift blocks between the springs and the axle would actually lower your jeep.
bad impulse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Zack93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: 937, Ohio
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
Does the wranglers from 1991 have coils spring and is there a way if not to out some in the front to stiffen it up some . Like I said I don't do much mudding so the control of front is more important to me
No all YJs have a leafs. XJs have coil/ leaf
__________________
The above is not intended to offend, insult, or ridicule in any way, shape or form.
1995 YJ, 1992 MJ,1998 XJ,
تفخر الكافر -Proud Infidel
Zack93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
OK ought so and all my leaf springs was pulled from under the axle to the top side. I believe that's what they did. I'll double check for sure but I think they were swapped lol. That's why I thought lift block and shorter leaf shackles
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #19
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,151
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
I'm not doing a body lift I'm going to go the route of the lifting lowering block setup because the both lift is a waste. The shackles the guy put on mine was ignorant of course.to much torque on the leaf springs with my 34's and the 31 do the same to my leaf springs. So IMA go to something like everyone suggested boomerang leaf spring shackles. And gunna put the 3 inch blocks under the springs and go that route I'm a father of four young children, so money is limited and things on my jeep needed major attention like a new rear upper right shock tower and body work and new front floor pans. So I got to be some what practical on my spending. So I do apologize for the lash out on u all last night plz understand I'm trying to be practical and fix this jeep in a timely fashion for my family. I'm not much for mudding anymore. I do lift for looks and to make my jeep a one of a kind. And maybe later down the line I might return to more mudding but for now daddy duty is always knocking on my door lol
not sure if this was covered or not..but if you put these lift blocks on your stock jeep springs..it will lower the jeep by 3"? Got that? You would need to move the springs to the top of the axle... which is known as a SOA(spring over) which alone will net about 4-5' of lift..


never mind just read your above post.... if yo uhave a SOA then you have plently of room or should for 35's tires...
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Thomas S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
not sure if this was covered or not..but if you put these lift blocks on your stock jeep springs..it will lower the jeep by 3"? Got that? You would need to move the springs to the top of the axle... which is known as a SOA(spring over) which alone will net about 4-5' of lift..


never mind just read your above post.... if yo uhave a SOA then you have plently of room or should for 35's tires...
I think you were posting when he was.

OP, if you have a spring over conversion that could work. Watch out for axle wrap and be safe.
__________________
1995 YJ
4.0, AX15, 3.07, 31x10.50s
Thomas S is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 02:01 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
I'm just looking into my optinions and to see if I can eliminate the leaf spring shackle junk. And get a more stable ride for me sway on bigger tires on the road is not cool
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,151
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
I'm just looking into my optinions and to see if I can eliminate the leaf spring shackle junk. And get a more stable ride for me sway on bigger tires on the road is not cool
I would start simple..with stock size or darn close to stock size shackles.. would make sure the front sway bar is in place. Also if the front leaf springs are the stockers they might be so warn that they too are part of the problem. How are the shocks?
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
DREDnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 214
How bout posting up some pics of your front and rear suspension setup so we can all see what you got going on.

Your avatar doesn't look like a SOA(Spring Over Axle) unless its really messed up
__________________
'91 YJ Sahara 4.0L/AX-15/NP231, D30/D35 @3.07
'12 KK Cherokee 3.7L/42RLE/MP1522, D30M/8.25 @3.73
"Non vi sed, Arte"
DREDnot is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Well all I checked out the SOA theory well it ain't so no lifting block. I'm set to get the front end lined up by a local shop Thursday. And I also have a upper shock tower repair to do now on my rear shock tower. So I'm getting some things figured out. I've also noticed that the near leafs are degree shimmed what degree unknown to me. The front has quick disconnect links and the shackles are long pictures to be posted in a few gunna go take them now so everyone can advise of what the PO did that is wrong or what he didn't do
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Exclamation photos to share for analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post
How bout posting up some pics of your front and rear suspension setup so we can all see what you got going on.

Your avatar doesn't look like a SOA(Spring Over Axle) unless its really messed up

















That's the best photos I can get right now I'm in a valley and its hardly got any sun light out here right now
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 06:29 PM   #26
Build em Big...

WF Supporting Member
 
Monster93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: South Florida
Posts: 444
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangling View Post
OK ought so and all my leaf springs was pulled from under the axle to the top side. I believe that's what they did. I'll double check for sure but I think they were swapped lol. That's why I thought lift block and shorter leaf shackles

you do not have a SOA, that looks no bigger than stock, shackles at best, if your axle was under leaf springs you would be a lot higher, just my observation. I would really check your jeep and figure what you have first before going any further with anything.
Monster93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #27
IITYWTMWYBMAB

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 10,151
Images: 5
Based on pic's looks like some after market lift with the springs under the axle. this is based on the raised bump stop contacts pictured. Some of the on road issues might be due to the worn out tires as well.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ
4Jeepn is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
jeepwrangling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 39
Could it also be because the tires are at max air if lowered could that help me in any way?
__________________
MUDD DAWG
jeepwrangling is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
twister4399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 243
App didn't update and I posted way late.

Now that is refreshed try dropping that air pressure down to 30-35 psi. Also when the jeep gets the alignment you might just have some worn components on the front maybe just tie-rod ends. Your shackles appear to be ok. What is the distance from bolt hole to bolt hole.
twister4399 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Posts: 152
Max air makes for a rough ride. Lowering the pressure and removing the front track bar will improve your ride a lot. I can't tell from the pic but it doesn't appear to have a body lift. You could shorten your shackles and make up the difference with a one inch body lift or some tj flares, move the better tires from the rear to the front, get your alignment and your good to go.

bad impulse is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
cons , lifts , pro's , swaying alot

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC