Windshield frame remove and replace - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
opdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 46
Windshield frame remove and replace

I was searching for a good step-by-step on doing this and can't find one here or elsewhere. I ordered a complete replacement frame painted the original color with seals and glass from jeepglass.com and it has arrived. I have my old one almost all the way out. I'd like to see how the procedure is done so I don't screw it up. It wasn't cheap.
Thanks if someone has a link.

opdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Aka Vaultzz

WF Supporting Member
 
Vaultzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: My Secret Lab
Posts: 5,624
So you want to remove the windshield? As far as I know you simply unbolt it from the roll bar, unbolt it from the top half of the hinges, and unplug the wiper motor (if you have a YJ)

__________________
The YJ is in Rebuild Mode
Vaultzz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
opdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 46
Yes, that is the obvious part. I was looking more for someone who has done it and detailed any snags with things like properly seating the cowl seal, etc.
Sort of a step-by-step for a six year old.
opdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
I am in the same boat with my 93 YJ. My windshield frame is rusted, but my glass is good planning on reusing the glass. Replacement frame is due in early next week. Please advise if you find any info I will do same.
BuzzA25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
whiteyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pleasanton CA
Posts: 4,857
The cowl seal is easy as it has retaining screws that attach it to the cowl so you can't (well shouldn't) screw it up. Plus my replacement gasket was punched so the holes aligned with the screw locations.
__________________
Fallen Angel...Former MOD
whiteyj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: columbus
Posts: 2,151
Send a message via AIM to rebelBullDawg325
what whitey said. its easy as can be. do make sure and use a new cowl seal though. holes are already punched so you cant put it on backwards or anything. only spot that caught me off guard was having to pull the outside hinge of sun visors off to let rolls bars past them. not necessary, but my adivce is to anti-sieze all your bolts going back in ( if yours was anything like mine, they were a pain to take off. and while your at it, i'd take the windshield hinges apart, clean and lube them real good. granted you dont use them often, but it will make for an easier job pulling the windshield back far enough to re-atach the roll bars. one last thing, i've never taken mine all the way off, just folded down for some work behind the dash, but it till probably be easier to get the hinges off if you break the bolts loose from from the windshield while its still mounted.
rebelBullDawg325 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
opdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Northeast Florida
Posts: 46
I almost have it all back together and this is not a simple job. The torx screws were a bear to get out and I had one I ended up having to drill out. We had to start them with a chisel and once they seemed to move then the torx bit would turn them.
I am having trouble getting the roll bar to attach. I guess the new seal has to compress. It's not a one person job.
Is this normal to have to pull extremely hard on the top of the frame to get it close enough to get a roll bar screw in?
Thanks.
opdave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
Doing mine soon, just want to follow the post.
tbois is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
YJman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbois View Post
Doing mine soon, just want to follow the post.
Same here. My frame is starting to rot. I have to catch it before it gets to the point of no return.
YJman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 34
funny stuff. I just ordered a new frame kit. Just had it painted and i will be reassembling this weekend. So ill let you know how it goes step by step. I did here that you need to use a come along wratcheting strap to get the new cowl gasket to compress enough to get the roll bar to connect to the upper frame.
__________________
1992 Jeep YJ Chevy 355 4 bolt main, th350, 4" Rubicon Lift, 2" body lift. 456 gears front and rear. Trutrak locker in rear, superior axles.
marshallsYJ350 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Merritt Island, FL - on the Space Coast
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallsYJ350 View Post
funny stuff. I just ordered a new frame kit. Just had it painted and i will be reassembling this weekend. So ill let you know how it goes step by step. I did here that you need to use a come along wratcheting strap to get the new cowl gasket to compress enough to get the roll bar to connect to the upper frame.
That's really good to know. I'm no where near to replacing my rusted w/shield frame until next year, but knowing when and where to apply strong force on an unfamiliar task is invaluable.
__________________
Mark J
Merritt Island, FL

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration
mark1305 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 34
Yea this does look like a Pain in the A$$. Why doesnt quadratec send me some instructions with the Frame KIT. Lol well Ill do my best and suggest pointers. So far the only site i can find is a guy doing a CJ windshield. And apparently a CJ kit is different then the one for a YJ.
__________________
1992 Jeep YJ Chevy 355 4 bolt main, th350, 4" Rubicon Lift, 2" body lift. 456 gears front and rear. Trutrak locker in rear, superior axles.
marshallsYJ350 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 34
So im beginning to think that the in the YJ is kinda just glued to the weather striping gasket. It is definently not the same as a CJs weather strip gasket(does not require a rope to install. If anyone has done this before, I would greatly appretiate the info. The kit has three weather strip moldings. One for the cowl, one for the inside edges of the frame and one that goes in between the glass and the frame on the outside to make it look purty. Any help would be awesome. Google is useless here lol
__________________
1992 Jeep YJ Chevy 355 4 bolt main, th350, 4" Rubicon Lift, 2" body lift. 456 gears front and rear. Trutrak locker in rear, superior axles.
marshallsYJ350 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Trinity, Florida
Posts: 34
Wow. The urethane quadratec sent me is either bad or going bad. I broke 2 caulking guns trying to just get the goop to come out.. Im giving up and guna hire someone to do this lol. Not messing up my brand new freshly painted white windshield lol. Im sure if the urethane was good, this would be a simple one person job.
__________________
1992 Jeep YJ Chevy 355 4 bolt main, th350, 4" Rubicon Lift, 2" body lift. 456 gears front and rear. Trutrak locker in rear, superior axles.
marshallsYJ350 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
windshield replace

Has anyone ever filled your windshield frame with foam? I noticed when I changed mine they rust from the indside out. I was wondering about how using non expanding foam would work? They make some pretty water proof foams?
2jeeps is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bck4more's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Springfield,Mo
Posts: 260
Send a message via Yahoo to bck4more
I replaced mine last week and didnt have any trouble. Yes you have to apply a little pressure to get the bolts back in but very easy and simple
__________________
1987 Laredo
I6 automatic,custom rear bumper,33x1250 Pro Comp Mud,2100 motorcraft,leaf over axle,rough country shocks
bck4more is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #17
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bck4more
I replaced mine last week and didnt have any trouble. Yes you have to apply a little pressure to get the bolts back in but very easy and simple
Hi, did you put the window in yourself? I Am waiting for the weather to corporate then take off my rusty frame pull windshield glass and install in new frame, thanks
Flatscrawler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake Arrowhead
Posts: 79
Out here, a glass man wants 500 to do my 95 YJ. What a load of crap.
omniscientgregg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
YJman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 988
I found a good frame with cracked glass. Prepped and painted the frame, put it on the Jeep, called the insurance company and told them my glass cracked. New glass at no charge
__________________
Use Locktite, Or Kiss Your Nuts Goodbye!
Small like a CJ, better than a TJ!
☼ YJ â○⌐ EVER ☼
YJman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lake Arrowhead
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJman View Post
I found a good frame with cracked glass. Prepped and painted the frame, put it on the Jeep, called the insurance company and told them my glass cracked. New glass at no charge
Scandalous! LMAO.
omniscientgregg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 18
I changed the frame and glass in ours, wasn't too bad. I'm a body man by trade and have been accused of knowing how to do it.
First, place your 2 tubes of urethane on or near a heat source such as a halogen light. By the time you're ready for it , it will be nice and soft. No open flames though!!
I smear some white grease on the bottom of the frame where the gasket goes then fasten on the gasket.
Attach the frame to the body and rollbar. Without the glass you have a bit of give to start the rollbar bolts.
This is assuming your wiper motor is already fastened. I spray in a liberal amount of white grease along the inner bottom of the frame to prevent rust down the road. Oil works too but is messy and smells bad!.
Open your first tube of urethane and put a small amount on the inside top lip of windshield opening. Place inner gasket in place and tape to the top of frame without getting your tape between the glass and gasket.
Test fit glass in the opening( some asian produced glass doesn't fit !)
Using the tip with the leg on it on your tube of urethane standing straight up, place a nice slow bead around the opening. one tube isn't enough but two is too much.
Set glass in opening,try not to wiggle around, press slowly and evenly so as not to break glass. There should be some squeeze out all the way around.
And finally,starting at the centre on the bottom, place the locking seal around the glass. This will centre the glass for you and the tab on the locking seal will embed in the squezzed out urethane for a solid leak free professional looking job.
Some guys use duct tape to hold the glass while the urethane sets. I don't but it's your choice.
Don't know if this helps but its how I do it.
Good luck,
Rob
unrooly1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrooly1 View Post
I changed the frame and glass in ours, wasn't too bad. I'm a body man by trade and have been accused of knowing how to do it.
First, place your 2 tubes of urethane on or near a heat source such as a halogen light. By the time you're ready for it , it will be nice and soft. No open flames though!!
I smear some white grease on the bottom of the frame where the gasket goes then fasten on the gasket.
Attach the frame to the body and rollbar. Without the glass you have a bit of give to start the rollbar bolts.
This is assuming your wiper motor is already fastened. I spray in a liberal amount of white grease along the inner bottom of the frame to prevent rust down the road. Oil works too but is messy and smells bad!.
Open your first tube of urethane and put a small amount on the inside top lip of windshield opening. Place inner gasket in place and tape to the top of frame without getting your tape between the glass and gasket.
Test fit glass in the opening( some asian produced glass doesn't fit !)
Using the tip with the leg on it on your tube of urethane standing straight up, place a nice slow bead around the opening. one tube isn't enough but two is too much.
Set glass in opening,try not to wiggle around, press slowly and evenly so as not to break glass. There should be some squeeze out all the way around.
And finally,starting at the centre on the bottom, place the locking seal around the glass. This will centre the glass for you and the tab on the locking seal will embed in the squezzed out urethane for a solid leak free professional looking job.
Some guys use duct tape to hold the glass while the urethane sets. I don't but it's your choice.
Don't know if this helps but its how I do it.
Good luck,
Rob
Great write up Rob!!
I am gonna tackle mine this weekend,
Biggest challenge might be getting the glass out of the old rusted frame.
Bruce

Flatscrawler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How-To: Replace Exterior Door Handle (Full Steel Doors) s3nt3nc3d TJ General Discussion Forum 118 02-24-2014 10:57 AM
How To: Replace Rear Shocks burton160w TJ Tech Forum 28 04-13-2013 11:30 AM
TSBs for 09 Wrangler JeepCan24 JK General Discussion Forum 5 11-23-2009 10:31 PM
Windshield Replacement OneLung YJ Tech Forum 1 12-11-2007 05:38 PM
Windshield replacement tecumsa TJ General Discussion Forum 0 08-26-2007 08:24 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:37 PM.



Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC