won't start - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Tech Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Unhappy won't start

I have replaced the starter and starter relay but it still wont start. It is a 1992 wrangler 4 cyl. When i turn the ignition switch all i get is a click from the starter. Just 1 click not several. I tried jumping the starter with jumper cables direct from the battery but still the same. I can't find any bad wires. I had the new starter tested and it was fine. I checked both battery connections and they seem fine. I cleaned the posts and cable ends. I put in a new battery 4 weeks ago and it is still charged. This quit working all at once. Any suggestions. Thanks

two yjs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: north of St.Franisville La.
Posts: 1,887
Send a message via Yahoo to Nubby55
I may sound DUMB! but have you had the battery checked?

Nubby55 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Yes I checked it first thing. I've tried everything i can think of.
two yjs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
I've checked everything I can think of. All the fuses, all the relays, cleans the ground next to the battery and on the engine block and made sure all wires were tight. I'm stumped. I called advance and tomorrow I'm going to exchange this starter for another one, hopefully that's the problem. I just don't understand why it would all the sudden not start, and the starter doesn't fix the problem.
two yjs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by two yjs
I've checked everything I can think of. All the fuses, all the relays, cleans the ground next to the battery and on the engine block and made sure all wires were tight. I'm stumped. I called advance and tomorrow I'm going to exchange this starter for another one, hopefully that's the problem. I just don't understand why it would all the sudden not start, and the starter doesn't fix the problem.
Try a voltage drop test from the positive post to the starter. It should not exceed .5 volts.
Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Kohrs93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen102938 View Post
Try a voltage drop test from the positive post to the starter. It should not exceed .5 volts.
How would I go about doing that/what tools would I need?

EDIT: sorry.... forgot to mention that "two yjs" is my dad and it's my jeep. didn't realize I had logged into my account.
__________________
92 2.5L 5 speed - 3" RC lift - Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer - 17" XD HOSS wheels - 315/70r17 BFG All-terrain T/A
Kohrs93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohrs93

How would I go about doing that/what tools would I need?

EDIT: sorry.... forgot to mention that "two yjs" is my dad and it's my jeep. didn't realize I had logged into my account.
You only need a multimeter. Disable the ignition first. Then set the multimeter to DC volts. Put one end on the positive post and the other where the positive cable connects to the starter. Have someone try to crank the engine and read the multimeter. if it reads above .5 there is excessive resistance in that cable
Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Kohrs93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen102938 View Post
You only need a multimeter. Disable the ignition first. Then set the multimeter to DC volts. Put one end on the positive post and the other where the positive cable connects to the starter. Have someone try to crank the engine and read the multimeter. if it reads above .5 there is excessive resistance in that cable
So if it exceeds .5, does that mean the wire itself is bad?
__________________
92 2.5L 5 speed - 3" RC lift - Skyjacker Steering Stabilizer - 17" XD HOSS wheels - 315/70r17 BFG All-terrain T/A
Kohrs93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Talking

The jeep finally started. We replaced the battery cable and it worked. The old cable looked great but after replacing it we took the insulation off and the last 4 inches on the starter end was just a little corroded. I wouldn't think that would be a problem but it was. Thanks for all the help.
two yjs is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by two yjs
The jeep finally started. We replaced the battery cable and it worked. The old cable looked great but after replacing it we took the insulation off and the last 4 inches on the starter end was just a little corroded. I wouldn't think that would be a problem but it was. Thanks for all the help.
Glad u got it started!
Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2011, 04:38 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohrs93

So if it exceeds .5, does that mean the wire itself is bad?
Yes it does. Sorry a little late lol.
Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,938
mine did that once, it was the opposite end of the + battery cable slightly loose at the starter side.

Have someone else click the key over while you watch down on the passenger side of the engine in a somewhat dark area. You'll probably see a spark at the bad connection when it clicks.
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
So we are having the same problem with our 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. We replaced the starter, battery checked out fine. It started right up, ran for a whole day and then quit. When turning the key to start, it doesn't click at all. Could it be something with the clutch sensor?
kjentz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-14-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjentz
So we are having the same problem with our 2002 Jeep Wrangler TJ. We replaced the starter, battery checked out fine. It started right up, ran for a whole day and then quit. When turning the key to start, it doesn't click at all. Could it be something with the clutch sensor?
Could be the starter relay. Turn on you headlight and turn the key, have a friend look and see If the lights dim, if not then the starter isn't getting power.
Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
Ok. We checked and the headlights do not dim. We will be off to get a new starter relay and pray that it fixes the problem.
kjentz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #16
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3
Well replaced the starter relay and nothing. The engine starts when we connect a wire from the positive battery to the solenoid. All new battery cables have been installed. We did a continuity check on all the connections. Could it be something with the clutch or the ignition switch?
kjentz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjentz
Well replaced the starter relay and nothing. The engine starts when we connect a wire from the positive battery to the solenoid. All new battery cables have been installed. We did a continuity check on all the connections. Could it be something with the clutch or the ignition switch?
That would be my second guess. Does the TJ have a clutch safety switch? I know my YJ does not.

Stephen102938 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ will not start after these Symptoms packermanwi YJ Tech Forum 11 09-28-2012 08:52 AM
Carbed' 258 Cold Start Issues Stuxtruth YJ Tech Forum 1 08-12-2011 06:37 AM
Remote start possible cause of major issues cah7307 JK General Discussion Forum 2 08-04-2011 07:14 AM
Jeep wont start.. Kodysteeler43 TJ Tech Forum 0 05-06-2010 12:30 PM
Turns But Won't Start... Not an easy answer Cryptos TJ Tech Forum 18 06-25-2009 07:12 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC