Bought my first Jeep (1991 YJ 4.0) at an auction two weeks ago. I love the vehicle, but the gauges are bothering me. I just went through a gauge issue with my Ramcharger, which I turned in to WAY too much work for myself...lol.
i know there's a lot of gauge-related questions on here, but I don't think this exact combination.
Here's what I have:
1. All gauges go off (left) when key is off.
2. Gas gauge is constantly as far right as can be when key is on.
3. Oil pressure gauge stays far right most of the time, it will come down to 3/4 when the jeep slows down occasionally. It will also jump around from time to time.
4. Temp gauge seems to work, but never past 1/4 or 150 degrees (it has been somewhat cold here in Colorado.
5. Clock works great!
6. Voltage gauge stays right in the middle.
Here's my questions:
Is it possible the oil/fuel sending units both happen to be bad? Should the oil pressure be full almost all of the time? Shouldn't the temp gauge get up to around 1/2 way eventually, since I drive 18 miles in to work?
The vehicle runs great, but I'm concerned about the oil pressure. Also, I don't want to pull the fuel tank until I'm sure the issue is with the fuel sender or ground and not the cluster or wiring for the gauges.
How would you guys attack this first?
Thanks...sorry for the lengthy question!