OBX-Corolla, NC--GECKO BEAST - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Trail Talk and Land Use Forums > On The Trail

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
BruceLeroy74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 77
Will do

BruceLeroy74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Jacksonhwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Spring Hope, North Carolina
Posts: 135
Hey fanfony! I'm from rocky mount as well! And we have a place out in more head city and I'm definitely wanting to take my rig out on the beach. Do you have a permit for Atlantic?

__________________
2012 JKU Sahara Flame Red hard top, front and rear trailor hitch, rod racks and new tires on the way
Jacksonhwall is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Fanofny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonhwall View Post
Hey fanfony! I'm from rocky mount as well! And we have a place out in more head city and I'm definitely wanting to take my rig out on the beach. Do you have a permit for Atlantic?
Awesome man...yeah we've got a place in Morehead City so I'm down there a lot. I don't have a permit for Atlantic beach and I don't think they allow off road vehicles on the beach.. It sucks bc I've been to Carolina beach and the outer banks and they have plenty of beach access. There's a ferry service that will take you out to Cape lookout where you can ride down the entire island without a permit, but it's an $80 round trip fee and there isn't much on the island as far as resources go. I've been thinking about getting a camping trip together to do some fishing this fall. And I think emerald isle will let you ride on the beach during a certain time of the year but I'm not sure.
Fanofny is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #34
Jeeper
 
WesterM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,095
Images: 1
Emerald isle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofny View Post
Awesome man...yeah we've got a place in Morehead City so I'm down there a lot. I don't have a permit for Atlantic beach and I don't think they allow off road vehicles on the beach.. It sucks bc I've been to Carolina beach and the outer banks and they have plenty of beach access. There's a ferry service that will take you out to Cape lookout where you can ride down the entire island without a permit, but it's an $80 round trip fee and there isn't much on the island as far as resources go. I've been thinking about getting a camping trip together to do some fishing this fall. And I think emerald isle will let you ride on the beach during a certain time of the year but I'm not sure.
My in laws have a place in emerald isle, after labor day they open up the beeches to offroaders with a permit.
WesterM3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
GonzoBobH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,445
Are we ignoring the monkey question, haha?






WFT is that?!?
__________________
Never owned a Jeep before - 'til now!
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport; Gecko green, half doors;
255/80/17 Pizza Cutters; 2.5" Teraflex BB with JKS Quicker Discos
Rigid Dually spots

GonzoBobH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
Casotakar1229's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,214
It's Lucy
Casotakar1229 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
Since I don't mind being a party pooper; Great pics. Next time, air down. No one cares if you get stuck out there, anyone who knows how to drive on a beach will come get you. The airing down, besides helping you drive safely, is to help prevent the thousands of folks who go visit the beaches every year from destroying the beach. Obviously a rig like you're wont get stuck, but it certainly will help to destroy the beach. Glad you had fun
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Cal21Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chagrin Falls, OH
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
Since I don't mind being a party pooper; Great pics. Next time, air down. No one cares if you get stuck out there, anyone who knows how to drive on a beach will come get you. The airing down, besides helping you drive safely, is to help prevent the thousands of folks who go visit the beaches every year from destroying the beach. Obviously a rig like you're wont get stuck, but it certainly will help to destroy the beach. Glad you had fun
5x carova beach driver here - question: how does airing down help not 'destroy' the beach. I've had the currituck police explain how fully inflated tires cause deeper ruts and more $$$ flow for the tow trucks, but don't the ruts blow in every time they get a nice breeze? So other than temporarily making it harder for many to get up/down the beach, what permanent damage does digging ruts do?

Here's some 3min old baby sea turtles from our trip this year, if interested: baby sea turtles, 3 min old | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cal21Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
sneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal21Guy View Post
5x carova beach driver here - question: how does airing down help not 'destroy' the beach. I've had the currituck police explain how fully inflated tires cause deeper ruts and more $$$ flow for the tow trucks, but don't the ruts blow in every time they get a nice breeze? So other than temporarily making it harder for many to get up/down the beach, what permanent damage does digging ruts do?

Here's some 3min old baby sea turtles from our trip this year, if interested: baby sea turtles, 3 min old | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Its not the individual, its the group. if everyone does it, the ruts grow, the sand blows away, the beach erodes. its why policies like that exist. its similar to hunting laws. sure, one person wont kill off all of one animal in an area. shoot, not even a small group of people could. but if everyone does, non stop, yeah, animal populations drop.
sneck is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
WesterM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,095
Images: 1
Corolla/Gravedigger-OBX

__________________
2012 Gecko JK Unlimited RUBICON

Teraflex 6 in LA, Rebel King Coilovers, PSC hydro, 20 in XD Addicts, Toyo MT 40's, Currie Antirocks,Rear-G2/Currie Rock Jock Dana 60, Front-Dana 44, chromoly shafts, Artec axle truss, EVO C gussets,PS Rock Brawler front bumper, Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper, LED's(Trucklite, Rigid, Vision-x), Warn ZEON 10-S, Factor 55 thimble, Airaid CAI
WesterM3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Jstraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mercer county
Posts: 242
Images: 6
I just got back from OBX, Corolla is a blast. This was my first year with my JKUR, I went a few years earlier with a Cherokee an 32's, but this year was a blast! Doors removed, took the whole family horse hunting all week long, what a beautiful place. I put 18" sahara wheels on for highway gas mileage (20.9) then aired down to 15psi for the week. It's amazing to see all the houses built back there, I got a kick out of the mail man in the 4x4 suburban (would love that job). It's amazing how the terrain changes by the hour, tides going in and out provide a solid surface to drive on but when the hour is right, the sand gets so soft and entrenched. We pulled a few people who were foolish and didn't air down during the soft sand time. I stayed in 4hi most of the time, but when the sand got really soft, I had more steering control with the lockers engaged (4lo) and it was a blast bouncing over the trenches. We drove the 17 mile stretch to the Virginia line, I wish we would have brought bikes as there is a refuge in there where only bikers and walkers can go. If you own a jeep, it's a must trip!
Jstraw is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
WesterM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,095
Images: 1
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstraw View Post
I just got back from OBX, Corolla is a blast. This was my first year with my JKUR, I went a few years earlier with a Cherokee an 32's, but this year was a blast! Doors removed, took the whole family horse hunting all week long, what a beautiful place. I put 18" sahara wheels on for highway gas mileage (20.9) then aired down to 15psi for the week. It's amazing to see all the houses built back there, I got a kick out of the mail man in the 4x4 suburban (would love that job). It's amazing how the terrain changes by the hour, tides going in and out provide a solid surface to drive on but when the hour is right, the sand gets so soft and entrenched. We pulled a few people who were foolish and didn't air down during the soft sand time. I stayed in 4hi most of the time, but when the sand got really soft, I had more steering control with the lockers engaged (4lo) and it was a blast bouncing over the trenches. We drove the 17 mile stretch to the Virginia line, I wish we would have brought bikes as there is a refuge in there where only bikers and walkers can go. If you own a jeep, it's a must trip!


Agree, must do for jeepers!
__________________
2012 Gecko JK Unlimited RUBICON

Teraflex 6 in LA, Rebel King Coilovers, PSC hydro, 20 in XD Addicts, Toyo MT 40's, Currie Antirocks,Rear-G2/Currie Rock Jock Dana 60, Front-Dana 44, chromoly shafts, Artec axle truss, EVO C gussets,PS Rock Brawler front bumper, Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper, LED's(Trucklite, Rigid, Vision-x), Warn ZEON 10-S, Factor 55 thimble, Airaid CAI
WesterM3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #43
Jeeper
 
1manWolfpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofny View Post
Well my JK isn't quite as awesome as your rig, but i did make it out to "The Point" out at Cape Hatteras earlier this week. Never been up to Corolla so I'll have to give it a shot one weekend. We camped down at Frisco Beach Campground and had a blast. Cant get enough of the OBX!
Nice Jeep! How did the duratracs do in the sand? Taking my Jeep to the beach in a few weeks with the new shoes. I've had my stock sahara wheels out there with no issues, so assuming they're fine. Do psi did you go with?
1manWolfpack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
WesterM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,095
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manWolfpack View Post

Nice Jeep! How did the duratracs do in the sand? Taking my Jeep to the beach in a few weeks with the new shoes. I've had my stock sahara wheels out there with no issues, so assuming they're fine. Do psi did you go with?
Not sure about Duratracs, but my Toyo MT's did fine with no air down.
__________________
2012 Gecko JK Unlimited RUBICON

Teraflex 6 in LA, Rebel King Coilovers, PSC hydro, 20 in XD Addicts, Toyo MT 40's, Currie Antirocks,Rear-G2/Currie Rock Jock Dana 60, Front-Dana 44, chromoly shafts, Artec axle truss, EVO C gussets,PS Rock Brawler front bumper, Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper, LED's(Trucklite, Rigid, Vision-x), Warn ZEON 10-S, Factor 55 thimble, Airaid CAI
WesterM3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Rwilliamjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: York
Posts: 248
Love it there, go once a year. First time with the JK on the beach, didn't care for the stability kicking in however. Prob one of my favorite places to be.
Rwilliamjacob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Rwilliamjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: York
Posts: 248
Actually I was there on the 13th lol..
Rwilliamjacob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 07:49 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
1manWolfpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 261
Ocracoke, NC. 1958-59. Kodachrome. - a set on Flickr

Came across these today. Some pretty cool old shots of beach driving on Ocracoke in the 50's.
1manWolfpack is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #48
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 145
Spend 10days in corolla back in June, loved driving on the beach ,day and night. Looking forward to going back
Utm18 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-07-2013, 06:46 AM   #49
Jeeper
 
BonesBrigade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 275
First off, 1manwolfpack...Thanks for those old pictures. I love that kind of stuff.

I've been fortunate enough to have stayed on Corova Beach in the 4X4 only community on a couple occasions. It is simply awesome. If you ever get a chance, get a large group of friends and get one of those 12-16 bedroom houses that sit behind the dunes. We would load up a few vehicles with chairs, toys, coolers, etc. and drive down to the shoreline from the house. That way everybody else can walk without having to carry stuff. If you get the right house you can setup and it is like having your own private beach.

Load up at the grocery store the first day and you never have to leave for anything. For those who need to go out every night when on vacation, this isn't the spot for you. At night it is pitch black and every star is evident in the sky. A real treat is if you get a big lightning storm at night, just a true primal experience.

I've driven that beach and its backroads behind the dunes many times and it is always a treat. Locals informed me that airing down is unnecessary so I never air down. It really doesn't cause any extra damage to the beach but I understand that some here like to air down and I do not have a problem with those who choose to do so.

I highly recommend this area for vacationing. It takes us about 10 hours to get there but it's worth the trip.

BonesBrigade is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC