Santa Ana Mountains Solo Run - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > Trail Talk and Land Use Forums > Trail Pics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
Santa Ana Mountains Solo Run

I usually don't go out solo, but my usual co pilot was out of town. And the Main Divide Road is a pretty well traveled truck trail on the weekends. 23 miles in 3.5 hours. Ortega HWY to Silverado Canyon, over Santiago Peak. (Highest Point in the OC)

groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
It didn't post the pics. Here is the road I just drove up from Ortega Hwy. and I'm almost to the top in the other pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RoadBehindMe.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	251328   Click image for larger version

Name:	SantiagoPeak.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	251329  


groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
Here is a nice view of Trabuco Creek and Mission Viejo CA. And a little flex at the top. Wish I had got a better angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TrabucoCanyonFromDivideRd.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	251330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	251331  

groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
I found this nice jeep at the top with no driver around. Must have been out hiking. I also got some new pinstripes. The wife wasn't thrilled about the scratches when I got home. I told her I don't mind as long as I did it (trail badges), but if someone scratches in a parking lot I would kick some butt.
groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tymarolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orange County, CA.
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebus View Post
I usually don't go out solo, but my usual co pilot was out of town. And the Main Divide Road is a pretty well traveled truck trail on the weekends. 23 miles in 3.5 hours. Ortega HWY to Silverado Canyon, over Santiago Peak. (Highest Point in the OC)
Wish I could have gone with you! Great pics
Tymarolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
donmeca2020's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Hollywood, florida
Posts: 2,772
nice !!! too bad we don't have any mountains here in SOFLA. im sure it would be a great experience riding around mountain roads in a wrangler.
donmeca2020 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
That's the only thing I like about CA, is the various terrain. Thanks to the fault lines we have all kinds of geography. Too back the politics are wrong here. I'm a native TX. Those mountains are basically right in the middle of a heavily populated metropolitan area. Right in the middle of 5 million people. I purchased a CA off road trail book and I'm working my way out from nearest to farthest trail so I can mark them off.
groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Socaljk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 322
I would love to do that trail. I live about an hour away. Can you give me more details of where you started, what trail it was and where it ended? Any rock crawling or just fire roads. What gave you the pinstripe?
__________________
2014 Anvil JKUR
Southern California
Socaljk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovebus View Post
I purchased a CA off road trail book and I'm working my way out from nearest to farthest trail so I can mark them off.
What book?
hapgood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
jonnyt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: wine country USA
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapgood View Post
What book?
I'd like to know this too. Every time I'm in a bookstore I always look for a 4x4 trail/Jeep trail book on California but never see one.
jonnyt16 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 01:45 AM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Socaljk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
I'd like to know this too. Every time I'm in a bookstore I always look for a 4x4 trail/Jeep trail book on California but never see one.
A couple good books are Backcountry Adventures Southern California by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson, or Southern California Backroads & 4-wheel drive trails by Charles A Wells
__________________
2014 Anvil JKUR
Southern California
Socaljk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
groovebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Anaheim
Posts: 422
http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Calif...fornia+offroad

Here is the book at Amazon. There is also one for Northern CA.
groovebus is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 108
Here are a few interesting books if you live out west.



If anyone wants to plan a two or three day ride in the fall I would love to join if I'm not working. I'm semi retired but have work about three times a year to keep me from becoming a bum.
hapgood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 108
That Book is old - the new one is Northern and Southern CA combined. A lot of the roads/trails in the old book are no longer accessible. The new one new is not much more than the single old one used and it's in living color :o)

How do I know? I wrote the author asking what the difference was.
hapgood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
jonnyt16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: wine country USA
Posts: 149
Thanks! I'll have to pick that one up. Did the author weed out the non-accessible trails for the new book?
jonnyt16 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Socaljk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 322
So yesterday I set out and did Santiago Peak. My daughter and I did Silverado Canyon Rd to Maple Springs Rd, to the Majeska Peak turn, all the way to the peak (Radio Towers). Took a couple hours. Fun drive, no real obstacles, just some good ruts in the road to give your suspension a stretch. Fun trail if you have a free day, a stock jeep, and want to get out.

No real traffic going up and it is narrow in a couple spot, but at like 3 PM when we were coming down there were several jeeps going up. Seemed a little late to start the drive but what do I know.

TIP - I took the Chapman Exit off the 55 to head up. There are some fast food spots before you head into the canyon. Stopped and got ice cream shakes with the daughter for the drive up. Made the ride a little more enjoyable since its was warm, and didn't spill a drop....
__________________
2014 Anvil JKUR
Southern California
Socaljk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyt16 View Post
Thanks! I'll have to pick that one up. Did the author weed out the non-accessible trails for the new book?
Yes, that's what he said he did.
hapgood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Long Beach CA
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaljk View Post
So yesterday I set out and did Santiago Peak. My daughter and I did Silverado Canyon Rd to Maple Springs Rd, to the Majeska Peak turn, all the way to the peak (Radio Towers). Took a couple hours. Fun drive, no real obstacles, just some good ruts in the road to give your suspension a stretch. Fun trail if you have a free day, a stock jeep, and want to get out.

No real traffic going up and it is narrow in a couple spot, but at like 3 PM when we were coming down there were several jeeps going up. Seemed a little late to start the drive but what do I know.

TIP - I took the Chapman Exit off the 55 to head up. There are some fast food spots before you head into the canyon. Stopped and got ice cream shakes with the daughter for the drive up. Made the ride a little more enjoyable since its was warm, and didn't spill a drop....
Maybe they were going up for a sunset. :o)

Did you have to get a Cleveland National Forest Pass or permit of any kind? I've hiked up there a few times via Holy Jim Trail
hapgood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Socaljk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southern California
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapgood View Post
Maybe they were going up for a sunset. :o)

Did you have to get a Cleveland National Forest Pass or permit of any kind? I've hiked up there a few times via Holy Jim Trail
I have one but didn't display it because we didn't really park and leave the car. We just went up, took a few pics, and drove down.

__________________
2014 Anvil JKUR
Southern California
Socaljk is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC