15" MB72 alloy Vs 15" Steel wheels - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Booyah.

KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock171 View Post
Mr. Discount tire! Hello again
And excuse the random interruption but do you have any comments or thoughts on the Goodyear duratracs? I reeeely want some but alot are conserned about it's 2 ply sidewall.
Just stay away from those darn thorns.

2 ply or 3 ply sidewall - JeepForum.com

__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 07:24 PM   #33
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,359
Very helpful info DT, thanks again for looking out for everyone and getting this to those that have questions. I'll definitely be ordering my next set of wheels from you guys. I just bought 5x Nitto Trail Grapplers from my local discount tires 2 months ago but will upgrade to a larger set on the next go around.

Can you give me a link to or the name of the best fitting no mods needed MB72 15" wheel for a 33" tire on a 2010 JK?
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob

Just stay away from those darn thorns.

2 ply or 3 ply sidewall - JeepForum.com
Must have been a factory defect.
Like DT said. Hazard warranty free replacement no questions asked. Not to mention I work at discount over the summer. Woot!
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #35
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Very helpful info DT, thanks again for looking out for everyone and getting this to those that have questions. I'll definitely be ordering my next set of wheels from you guys. I just bought 5x Nitto Trail Grapplers from my local discount tires 2 months ago but will upgrade to a larger set on the next go around.

Can you give me a link to or the name of the best fitting no mods needed MB72 15" wheel for a 33" tire on a 2010 JK?
Thanks for the thanks!

If you want Matte Black buy this one: MB Wheels 72 custom rims

If you want the Machined finish buy this one: MB Wheels 72 custom rims

If these links don't work when you are ready to buy, give us a call. The product may be on backorder. (We sell these almost as fast as we can get them. )

-Travis
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
IndyJeepMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 3,387
Any chance for some pitbull radial rockers?
__________________
1980 CJ7
3.9L Cummins POWER!
Follow my build, its cool and stuff: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/project-shake-n-bake-a-cummins-cj-188515.html]
IndyJeepMan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
^ I believe we can order them in for you if you are interested but I'll have to double check. When you are ready do order, PM us what you want and we'll do our best for you.
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #38
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
I just bought some of these wheels. I like them. The shimmy I had from my old steel wheels is gone.

Wheel Size 15X8 5-114.3mm / 5-4.5"
MB Wheels 72 15X8 5-114.3-19MTB


__________________
~PNW4WDA~
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #39
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
^
Looks great!

Thank you for posting.
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
no1gtkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Las Vegas Nevada
Posts: 54
285/75/17 on TJ

I went to discount tire to do a test fit on a stock TJ Rubicon 2006. I have no lift, no fender flares, stock stock rims.

They guys were cool to assist here at the Las Vegas store.

They installed BFG KOAT 285/75/17 they fit just fine but could not go lock to lock serious rub on steering components and would rub high if I had flares. They then added new rims with better back spacing and they did not rub as much but still had rubbing.

So we test fitted 265/75/16 and they fit perfect with a turn lock to lock.

I would not suggest going bigger without having a lift or getting serious back spacing. Flat fenders would help a bit as well. Portal axle ends may also assist.
no1gtkid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #41
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1gtkid View Post
I went to discount tire to do a test fit on a stock TJ Rubicon 2006. I have no lift, no fender flares, stock stock rims.

They guys were cool to assist here at the Las Vegas store.

They installed BFG KOAT 285/75/17 they fit just fine but could not go lock to lock serious rub on steering components and would rub high if I had flares. They then added new rims with better back spacing and they did not rub as much but still had rubbing.

So we test fitted 265/75/16 and they fit perfect with a turn lock to lock.

I would not suggest going bigger without having a lift or getting serious back spacing. Flat fenders would help a bit as well. Portal axle ends may also assist.
A washer behind the steering stop would have solved many of those problems. Ran stock rims and 285's both before and after lift.
__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #42
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,359
Just got my 33x12.5R15 Goodyear Duratracs on MB72 15" wheels mounted. Thanks to Discount Tire Direct for all the help and the great recommendations for this combo. Shipping was super fast and arrived in perfect condition. Video walk around below.

More pics of install and difference between the Nitto Trail Grapplers I had before here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...ml#post1278755

ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #43
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123 View Post
Just got my 33x12.5R15 Goodyear Duratracs on MB72 15" wheels mounted. Thanks to Discount Tire Direct for all the help and the great recommendations for this combo. Shipping was super fast and arrived in perfect condition. Video walk around below.

More pics of install and difference between the Nitto Trail Grapplers I had before here: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...ml#post1278755


Wahoo! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing your video. Do you have any footage of you using them off-road?

-Travis
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
JeepinCpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 107
Discount tire... Do you carry DC 2's ?
JeepinCpt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #45
Custom JEEP Decals
 
TJe0454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCpt View Post
Discount tire... Do you carry DC 2's ?
ew.
__________________
I brake for humans.
Maryland Flag JEEP Stickers!!

My 3/4 link build
TJe0454 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
JeepinCpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 107
Why ew Tj?
JeepinCpt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #47
Motorized Toy Collector

WF Supporting Member
 
TJDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Eastern WA State
Posts: 2,745
ESP123, your Jeep looks great with those wheels and tires. I love my new black MB 72's.

Here is a couple more pics from Memorial Day weekend with a little dirt on them.
They kinda match my kahki soft top when they're dirty.


__________________
~PNW4WDA~
TJDave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 10:39 AM   #48
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCpt View Post
Discount tire... Do you carry DC 2's ?
We do not carry the DC-2 but we can special order them in for you
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
JeepinCpt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Enfield, CT
Posts: 107
Discount tire...At what cost?
JeepinCpt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #50
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
Should be in the $140 per wheel range. Pm us when you are ready to place your order and we'll get them coming to you.
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 AM   #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Would you recommend the mb72 over the Mickey Thompson classic II ?
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #52
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
^
Both wheel models are constructed the same and with the MB72 being less expensive, IMO, the MB72 is the better value.
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
I'm thinking the same thing. I guess I'll have to look at them side by side at the store. Thanks.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock171 View Post
Would you recommend the mb72 over the Mickey Thompson classic II ?
Check the finish on them. I don't know about the MB but the finish on the MT's is almost a raw aluminum. Which is a real pain to keep clean. After one winter they were so dull and pitted that it took me 2 days to get all five cleaned back up.
You may not have that problem at all being in down yonder in texas. But if you go with the MT's (or if the MB's have the same finish) I would wax them really heavy before putting them on the Jeep. I had mine powder coated black just to get away from the maintenance of them.

PS: I live in that place for 12 years, were exactly is yonder located?
__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #55
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
Wahoo! That's awesome. Thanks for sharing your video. Do you have any footage of you using them off-road?

-Travis
Will have that soon. We are wheelin this Sunday in NC. Large group, should be lots of great looking rigs.
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #56
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
^Very cool! Look forward to seeing it. Have fun and be safe!
__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob

Check the finish on them. I don't know about the MB but the finish on the MT's is almost a raw aluminum. Which is a real pain to keep clean. After one winter they were so dull and pitted that it took me 2 days to get all five cleaned back up.
You may not have that problem at all being in down yonder in texas. But if you go with the MT's (or if the MB's have the same finish) I would wax them really heavy before putting them on the Jeep. I had mine powder coated black just to get away from the maintenance of them.

PS: I live in that place for 12 years, were exactly is yonder located?
League city. About 2 miles from clear creek high school.
Thanks for the tip. I wanted to powder coat them for a flat black look anyways. So were good.
KidRock171 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #58
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
ESP123, your Jeep looks great with those wheels and tires. I love my new black MB 72's.

Here is a couple more pics from Memorial Day weekend with a little dirt on them.
They kinda match my kahki soft top when they're dirty.


Thanks brother, that's an awfully good looking TJ you've got there yourself.
ESP is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
bcls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Central Mass
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
The best tire for you is the one that's going to work best for your terrain, your driving style and your budget.

The Duratrac is an excellent tire, it may or may not be a good option for you. I have a couple of friends in our Utah region running them and one of them told me it was the best tire he had ever had on and offroad. (He has a 2004 unlimited TJ) He regularly trail rides too.

If you are concerned that your terrain is extra hard on sidewalls but you want to give them a shot, I say do it. If you purchase our Certificates for Free Replacement you'll be protected if something does happen to one of them.
Hey thanks for this link and for your feedback on my other post. Are you by any chance Evan? I spoke with him on the phone earlier this past afternoon.

I gotta say my head is spinning on the whole wheels/spacers issue. Here's the scoop. My local (apparently well-regarded) 4x4 shop is putting a 3" Teraflex lift and skid plates on my '11 JKU Rubi on Monday/Tuesday. I had wanted to keep my stock wheels so originally the guy planned on adding 1.25" spacers with 35" Interco SSR tires but I guess those tires are pretty much unavailable due to supply issues. So, he instead he proposed going with 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country MT tires. (I cannot ascertain whether these are 33" or 34" or 35" since for some insane reason the tire world seems not to use a standard measurement so I don't know how 285 corresponds to inches....).

I had seen the Discount Tire recommendation from others on this and JK Forum so I called. In speaking with Evan, I was told that adding spacers/adapters is categorically a bad idea, possibly illegal in my state and that I should instead consider going with new wheels that give me a negative 6 something. I tried to poke around on the DT website putting in my vehicle and asking for options but all it seems to want to do is give me options to replace my stock wheels/tires with others of the same size.

I am hoping to get a sense (i) whether the spacers idea is really as shitty as it seems, (ii) whether with a 3" lift I can really go with 35" tires or should I really be looking at 33" and (iii) in either case what are some good options for wheels/tires if I opt to go that route and scrap the spacers that my shop suggested.

Sorry to throw out so much about this but I really just have no idea what to do.

Thanks very much for your past and future help (and that of others who have insight).

Signed - More Confused In Mass Than Ever.
bcls99 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #60
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Discount Tire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcls99 View Post
Hey thanks for this link and for your feedback on my other post. Are you by any chance Evan? I spoke with him on the phone earlier this past afternoon.

I gotta say my head is spinning on the whole wheels/spacers issue. Here's the scoop. My local (apparently well-regarded) 4x4 shop is putting a 3" Teraflex lift and skid plates on my '11 JKU Rubi on Monday/Tuesday. I had wanted to keep my stock wheels so originally the guy planned on adding 1.25" spacers with 35" Interco SSR tires but I guess those tires are pretty much unavailable due to supply issues. So, he instead he proposed going with 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country MT tires. (I cannot ascertain whether these are 33" or 34" or 35" since for some insane reason the tire world seems not to use a standard measurement so I don't know how 285 corresponds to inches....).

I had seen the Discount Tire recommendation from others on this and JK Forum so I called. In speaking with Evan, I was told that adding spacers/adapters is categorically a bad idea, possibly illegal in my state and that I should instead consider going with new wheels that give me a negative 6 something. I tried to poke around on the DT website putting in my vehicle and asking for options but all it seems to want to do is give me options to replace my stock wheels/tires with others of the same size.

I am hoping to get a sense (i) whether the spacers idea is really as shitty as it seems, (ii) whether with a 3" lift I can really go with 35" tires or should I really be looking at 33" and (iii) in either case what are some good options for wheels/tires if I opt to go that route and scrap the spacers that my shop suggested.

Sorry to throw out so much about this but I really just have no idea what to do.

Thanks very much for your past and future help (and that of others who have insight).

Signed - More Confused In Mass Than Ever.
There are two of us who message here, myself (Matt) and Travis but anyone of our sales agents would be happy to help over the phone if anyone needs help quickly.

As far as your application goes, with a 3" lift you can easily clear 35" tires with the correct wheel dimensions. There is a lot of debate on spacers but in our opinion running the correct wheel specs is best.

If you want to stick with 17" wheels I suggest going with a 9" wide wheels that has around 4.5" of backspace or less. Size 17x9 ET-12 is going to yield the most options. Here's the link with some of the models we offer in these specs that will work for you.

Wheel Products - Discount Tire Direct=


As far as tires go, size 35x12.50-17 is going to offer the most amount of tire choices. Here's what we have to offer.

Tire Products - Discount Tire Direct

I hope this information helps. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

__________________
Low Prices! More Choices! FREE SHIPPING!
At The Store: www.discounttire.com
To Your Door: www.discounttiredirect.com

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price?

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Discount Tire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alloy v Steel McBear Tires & Wheels 20 11-22-2010 11:44 AM
Steel Wheels. Need 'em. Yep. TJ General Discussion Forum 5 06-15-2010 03:37 PM
WTB 16x7 or 16x8 steel wheels! Samsrubicon Classifieds Archive 0 05-01-2010 11:09 PM
wheels.. alloy or steel? pics please bpowa TJ Pics Forum 36 01-15-2008 01:14 PM
Steel wheels Wr@ngler00 Classifieds Archive 6 02-13-2007 08:29 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC