285 Duratrcas on Stock Wheels or 33 12.50 0n 15's - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Newb
 
Cobrawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A. Lower Arkansas
Posts: 4
285 Duratrcas on Stock Wheels or 33 12.50 0n 15's

I hope I don't get flamed for this.

After owning sport cars for most of my life I recently bought a 2011 JK Unlimited and love it. I need some tire help. I would like to get a set of Goodyear Duratracs for it and since it will spend 80 percent of its time on road and I am debating between two options.

1. 285/70/17 on the stock Moab wheels with Spidertrax spacers.

2. 33/12.50/15 on 15 inch MB 72 wheels.

After looking through a ton of posts on the subject I still have a couple of lingering questions.

1. There seems to be a serious weight difference between my two options. According to what I have found the 17 inch option comes in at 77 pounds per wheel and tire combo , and the 15 inch wheel and tire combo option comes in at 66 pounds. How much will this effect the gas mileage, will the 15 inch tire effect the handling since there is more sidewall?

2. Is there an issue with the tire sticking outside of the fender will it have a bad effect on the jeep (bearings, suspension wear etc)?

Thanks for your help for this noob.

Cobrawes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
1 - Yes, the increase in weight will have an effect on the MPG. It probably won't be a huge difference, but a difference nonetheless. Unsprung weight is a MPG killer. I went to a 285/75/16 from the stock 17" Sport setup and I lost about 1.5 mpg on average. But my setup isn't the lightest out there at around 86lbs. Yes, you will get a bit more sidewall squirm with the 15" combo, but it isn't anything too drastic.

2 - Any wheel that is backpaced less than the stocker will put more strain on wheel bearing and possibly ball joints. This includes adding spacers to your stock wheels, since that is essentially the same as bolting on wheels with 4.75" backspace. Also, the further out the wheel stick from the body, the more it will cover the body in mud, road grime, snow, etc, etc.

A few things to keep in mind.
Going off of current DTD prices, you are looking at $1,525 (after $50 forum discount) for 5 285/70/17 Duratracs plus 2 sets of 1.5" Spidertrax spacers. Then you have to take them and get them mounted onto your stock wheels. So you are looking at around $100 or so additional, so lets call it $1625 total.

For the MB72 and 33" setup, you are looking at roughly $1,570 for wheels AND tires, mounted and balanced, shipped to your door.

Since you seem to definitely be set on the Duratracs, be sure to join treadlightly.org ($25) and take advantage of the $100 mail in rebate you can get on the Duratracs. That will save you an additional $75.

Just for reference sake, here is a pic of my my setup just to show you how far they stick out. These are 285/75/16s, which spec out to the same size as the 285/70/17s. Basically 33x11. If you choose to go with the stock setup and spacers, your combo would be .25" further under the fender than this. If you go with the 15" setup, you are looking at sticking out about 1.5" further than this.

BTW, welcome to the forum!


__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Newb
 
Cobrawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A. Lower Arkansas
Posts: 4
Thanks for the info. Signed up for Tread Lightly. I am leaning towards the 17 combo for the fact of how it looks and tucks nicely inside the fenders. The selection of 15 inch wheels is very limited. I just can't find a wheel I like. Got a chance to see an MB 72 in silver yesterday, not my speed.
Cobrawes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrawes View Post
Thanks for the info. Signed up for Tread Lightly. I am leaning towards the 17 combo for the fact of how it looks and tucks nicely inside the fenders. The selection of 15 inch wheels is very limited. I just can't find a wheel I like. Got a chance to see an MB 72 in silver yesterday, not my speed.
Could always go 16" wheels and tires. Pricing would still be about the same as 17" tires and spacers. There are many options out there for 16" wheels as well. Just something to think about.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
TJNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Robertsdale,AL (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrawes View Post
I hope I don't get flamed for this.

After owning sport cars for most of my life I recently bought a 2011 JK Unlimited and love it. I need some tire help. I would like to get a set of Goodyear Duratracs for it and since it will spend 80 percent of its time on road and I am debating between two options.

1. 285/70/17 on the stock Moab wheels with Spidertrax spacers.

2. 33/12.50/15 on 15 inch MB 72 wheels.

After looking through a ton of posts on the subject I still have a couple of lingering questions.

1. There seems to be a serious weight difference between my two options. According to what I have found the 17 inch option comes in at 77 pounds per wheel and tire combo , and the 15 inch wheel and tire combo option comes in at 66 pounds. How much will this effect the gas mileage, will the 15 inch tire effect the handling since there is more sidewall?

2. Is there an issue with the tire sticking outside of the fender will it have a bad effect on the jeep (bearings, suspension wear etc)?

Thanks for your help for this noob.
Just info you, the duratracs in th 33x12.50x15 actually measure 32x11.50x15 on a 15x8" rim, and they weigh 49lbs a piece.
TJNewbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
namasste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 307
The only real issue you have with being outside the fenders is an extra muddy Jeep after you go wheelin. You'll be slinging mud everywhere which I don't mind since I think my Jeep looks better a little dirty anyway.
namasste is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Newb
 
Cobrawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A. Lower Arkansas
Posts: 4
Thanks for the replies. I am still on the fence about the decision. I found the pro comp 8179 wheel and it looks pretty good. Going to take the weekend to think about it, before I pull the trigger.
Cobrawes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
TJNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Robertsdale,AL (Lower Alabama)
Posts: 1,793
Good idea!
TJNewbie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Mom sold the Jeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 239
Try this article for data on wheel/tire weight and performance on braking distance, acceleration, and fuel economy due to changes in rotational mass.

Power And Performance From Weight Loss - Jp Magazine
Mom sold the Jeepster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrawes
Thanks for the replies. I am still on the fence about the decision. I found the pro comp 8179 wheel and it looks pretty good. Going to take the weekend to think about it, before I pull the trigger.
Just keep in mind that most Pro Comp wheels are on national backorder with no ETA. Make sure you can find them in stock somewhere.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Newb
 
Cobrawes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: L.A. Lower Arkansas
Posts: 4
Found a set of pro comps and finally got everything mounted up today. Thanks for all of the info.

Cobrawes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on best mud tire for on and off road JEEPIN98TJ Tires & Wheels 21 06-21-2012 10:18 AM
Favorite beadlock 15 inch wheels? denisbaldwin Tires & Wheels 5 04-05-2012 06:47 AM
35" to 33" kyakobi JK General Discussion Forum 6 02-27-2012 11:26 PM
Stock Gambler Rims Cole 33 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 02-27-2012 12:10 PM
Info on cold air intakes/throttle body extension fishin shane JK General Discussion Forum 0 02-27-2012 02:33 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC