I'm thinking of getting some new tires for my '07 Rubicon but I'm looking for something that would provide the most traction primarily for sand. The KM2s seem to have my attention for now. I was thinking about MT/Rs but it seems most people prefer KM2s over them. Of course, they are probably siding with the KM2s just because that's the tire they chose, as they never have any actual evidence to support their statements of why they're better . I would get paddles but unfortunately they don't handle well on streets... so I've heard.
The wider the better. I drive on sand and the AT works fine. If it didn't look so stupid... (and if they even make such an animal)... a 12.50 wide passenger car tire would be good. Jeeps are light and float good on sand with a wide tire.
The dune grappler is nice but doesn't perform well outside of the sand and street.. I've heard of people liking the pro comp AT's for the sand.. But the I myself would think the most highly of these two tires as far as not only a good sand performance but functions on other terrains ok as well..
The yokohama Geolander MT I don't know much about but from what little I do know it is used as a tire on the pro comp racing trucks witch run sand and mud races.. I'm gonna trust who ever is putting the stars up on these tires that this tire for a MT if you want something that is also highly capable in other offroad terrain as well as sand then this is your tire Yokohama Geolander MT + Mud Tire Reviews
__________________ -XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard
-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."
My 35x12.5x15" BFG AT KO's do awesome in the dunes. No sinking of any kind, and once they're aired down, even steep hill climbs in sand are a breeze. They behave the same in deep snow, I could float where similar vehicles with mud tires were sinking.
Of course they might not look as mean as MT's, and supposedly do poorly in mud that doesn't matter much with the kind of trails I run.
"Traction" is seldom a problem in sand. Digging and sinking and horsepower are the greater issues, and tires are only 20% of that issue; the other 80% is driver input (technique, skill, tire pressure management).
I've been A-OK on loose dunes with a TJ, 31-10.50 BFG M/Ts at 12psi. Got everywhere I cared to go, and my only real limiting factor was that I lack enough horsepower/acceleration to build momentum for steep stretches.
I've owned KM2s, MTR w/Ks, ProComp extreme MTs, and several other brands of tires, and frequently go four wheeling in the sand dunes. By far, the all time best sand tires I've ever owned was a set of 35x12.50R-17 Dick Cepek FCIIs. The are not so aggressive that they dig in, and they tend to be wider per any given tire size than most brands are. Air them down to 8 psi and they are nearly unstopable. They are MUCH better than KM2s.
2014 Wrangler Sport: Teraflex 3" suspension lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, Tom Wood 1350 driveshafts, Dynatrac Dana 60s w/ 4.56 gears and Eaton electric lockers, Warn front locking hubs, Currie Anti-rock front swaybar, Fox ATS, 35" Toyo MTs on 17x8.5 Fuel Anza's, Poison Spyder bumpers and rocker guards, Warn M8000s winch, Teraflex tailgate hinge & spare tire carrier