Duratrac question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 102
Duratrac question

I have ordered my wife a jku sport. Plan to put a 2" leveling kit on and 285/70r17 on the new rockstar II wheels. The Jeep wont be wheeled offroad just be a mall crawler and grocery getter. Will the duratrac's be overkill? I like the looks compared to Alot of at's... The bfg tko's look good less aggressive but heavier. Also looking at the p rated toyo at2's..... I want to keep the factory ride, handling, and performance as much as possible... Never rode on duratracs so just don't know if there overkill for her use

mxracer394 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 87
Subscribed. Same question.....currently using Firestone Destination A/Ts for the same reason (wifey's Mall Crawler & grocery getter). Looking to upgrade for future consideration of potential light off roading and snow/ice (5-10% of use).

VARUBI10A is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Thank you Veterans

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Beastmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Old Pubelo
Posts: 24,824
My rig is both my DD and weekend rock crawler. I put on Duratracs because they are a good all-around tire. They are great on the road, good traction in wet/snow conditions and not too noisy. The noise part is important to me because I go topless/doorless 9 months out of the year.
Beastmaster is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
fattirewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: C'ville Virginia
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARUBI10A View Post
Subscribed. Same question.....currently using Firestone Destination A/Ts for the same reason (wifey's Mall Crawler & grocery getter). Looking to upgrade for future consideration of potential light off roading and snow/ice (5-10% of use).
I have Destination A/T's and have wheeled them hard enough to need my winch a couple times. I'd guess around 30% of my time is offroad recently. They do just fine light off road and in heavier off road so long as it's dry. Snow/Ice grip is pretty good except when muddy under the snow (it crabs sideways). They're also great on the road. Their downside is in greasy or muddy conditions. They pack up and don't dig. I gotta spin them hard to keep'em clean but then I'm pinballing up stuff instead of climbing or I'm winching up it.

I'm currently getting Duratracs put on as I type this. The more agressive AT tread while having better road manners than a mudder is what sold it. Fingers crossed on the whole sidewall issue but nobody I wheel with has ever cut a sidewall. But I doubt I'd be going this aggressive on a mall crawl/ 5% offroad situation. Probably have gone BFG AT instead.
__________________
LS7 427, TCI 4L60E SSF, Atlas, Currie D44's, PCS module, Squier Inc. wiring, Zeon 10S, Vanco BBK, Warn Hubs, Mastercraft Baja RS w/ heat, OME lift, 32's, JCR Bumper/Carrier, Tom Woods CV, Viair 450C
fattirewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 102
I like those bfg at's but.... They do too.. For the weight and price I feel like there is a better option.. I can get the p285/70r17 toyo at2's for 195 a tire... Can also get the kenda klever at for 127 but I dont know anything a out then

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
mxracer394 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by fattirewilly View Post
I have Destination A/T's and have wheeled them hard enough to need my winch a couple times. I'd guess around 30% of my time is offroad recently. They do just fine light off road and in heavier off road so long as it's dry. Snow/Ice grip is pretty good except when muddy under the snow (it crabs sideways). They're also great on the road. Their downside is in greasy or muddy conditions. They pack up and don't dig. I gotta spin them hard to keep'em clean but then I'm pinballing up stuff instead of climbing or I'm winching up it. I'm currently getting Duratracs put on as I type this. The more agressive AT tread while having better road manners than a mudder is what sold it. Fingers crossed on the whole sidewall issue but nobody I wheel with has ever cut a sidewall. But I doubt I'd be going this aggressive on a mall crawl/ 5% offroad situation. Probably have gone BFG AT instead.

Thx Fattirewilly! Might I ask what wheel and tire combo you are running? Am considering Rockstar II or something more old fashioned looking in a procomp deeper dish/smaller offset wheel in 17". Was informed going smaller would be an issue for brake calipers.
VARUBI10A is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
fattirewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: C'ville Virginia
Posts: 358
265/75/16 on a tj. Stick w 15 inch wheels for better tire selection. Mine came w 16.
__________________
LS7 427, TCI 4L60E SSF, Atlas, Currie D44's, PCS module, Squier Inc. wiring, Zeon 10S, Vanco BBK, Warn Hubs, Mastercraft Baja RS w/ heat, OME lift, 32's, JCR Bumper/Carrier, Tom Woods CV, Viair 450C
fattirewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
fattirewilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: C'ville Virginia
Posts: 358
But I have big brakes so its about your future mods too
__________________
LS7 427, TCI 4L60E SSF, Atlas, Currie D44's, PCS module, Squier Inc. wiring, Zeon 10S, Vanco BBK, Warn Hubs, Mastercraft Baja RS w/ heat, OME lift, 32's, JCR Bumper/Carrier, Tom Woods CV, Viair 450C
fattirewilly is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 102
My wife wants the rockstar II's as well on hers when it comes in.... Going with the 17x9's
mxracer394 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ElectricJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer394 View Post
I like those bfg at's but.... They do too.. For the weight and price I feel like there is a better option.. I can get the p285/70r17 toyo at2's for 195 a tire... Can also get the kenda klever at for 127 but I dont know anything a out then

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
The Toyo AT2 gets great reviews on this forum. Here's a link to a thread.
Toyo AT2 Thread

__________________
Jay
D Gertie 2012 JKU 3:73 LSD Black Forest Green
ElectricJay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 87
Okay, so I moved from Destination A/T's (like Fattire Willy) and went to Duratracs. In my case, it was part of an AEV 2.5" lift and AEV Black Pintlers and 315/70x17s. The question I have is while these tires are notorious for not being as large as advertised...they're supposed to be approx. 35".... their real height at 31lbs of pressure is only 33.5".

For anyone else running these tires in that size....is that normal?
VARUBI10A is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 AM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ElectricJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARUBI10A View Post
Okay, so I moved from Destination A/T's (like Fattire Willy) and went to Duratracs. In my case, it was part of an AEV 2.5" lift and AEV Black Pintlers and 315/70x17s. The question I have is while these tires are notorious for not being as large as advertised...they're supposed to be approx. 35".... their real height at 31lbs of pressure is only 33.5".

For anyone else running these tires in that size....is that normal?
FWIW I have the same size tire 315/70R17 but have Mickey Thomson Baja ATZ P3. Mine measure about the same 33.6"
__________________
Jay
D Gertie 2012 JKU 3:73 LSD Black Forest Green
ElectricJay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2014, 07:14 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 87
Thx!! I have since come to understand that is a common thing....my bad for posting such a dumb question. Apparently, if you inflate it to recommended tire pressure (ie. undriveable - but great for gas mileage) and you lay it on it's side without any weight, it'll be closer to 35". Lesson learned.....

:-)
VARUBI10A is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ElectricJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARUBI10A View Post
Thx!! I have since come to understand that is a common thing....my bad for posting such a dumb question. Apparently, if you inflate it to recommended tire pressure (ie. undriveable - but great for gas mileage) and you lay it on it's side without any weight, it'll be closer to 35". Lesson learned.....

:-)
You have too learn somewhere.

__________________
Jay
D Gertie 2012 JKU 3:73 LSD Black Forest Green
ElectricJay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC