FINALLY!!! I get WHEELS/TIRES! HELP! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
FINALLY!!! I get WHEELS/TIRES! HELP!

Ok guys, after working my but off all summer I am finally ready for some wheels & tires. I have the wheels picked out from Quadratec... see here...
Pro Comp 1069-5765 - Pro Comp Series 1069 Full Polished Finish Alloy Wheel for Jeep® Vehicles with 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec

I am going with the 17x9's. The Jeep is only going to be my daily driver for 2 more months tops... then it becomes a weekend toy! I want to run BFG AT's. I do not have a lift of any kind.... My questions are:

What is the largest size tire I can run on these wheels?

Do I need to lift, or can I just bolt on the new wheels after I have the tires mounted? Will I have clearance issues?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
I can't help you with tire size on a YJ much, but I think a 31x10.5 is gonna be your max with no lift. Mostly I am posting to see if you are really sure you want polished wheels... They look great when they are new, and when they are freshly polished, but the maintenance on them is killer... Just something to keep in mind. If you don't keep up with the maint. they will pit and get very ugly. Keep a nice coat of wax on them all the time, and try to avoid salt as much as possible...

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't have a V6, unless someone did an engine swap on it I believe you have an I6 if it's the 4 liter..

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
jayc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 531
IG hit it on the head. are you sure you want the 17x9 if it's going to be your trail rig soon? 15X8 is the optimal size from what i've been reading on here. good luck and congrats, post pics when you get them
__________________
A computer beat me at chess once, but it was no match for my kickboxing skills.
jayc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
I can't help you with tire size on a YJ much, but I think a 31x10.5 is gonna be your max with no lift. Mostly I am posting to see if you are really sure you want polished wheels... They look great when they are new, and when they are freshly polished, but the maintenance on them is killer... Just something to keep in mind. If you don't keep up with the maint. they will pit and get very ugly. Keep a nice coat of wax on them all the time, and try to avoid salt as much as possible...

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't have a V6, unless someone did an engine swap on it I believe you have an I6 if it's the 4 liter..
Thanks! yeah it's the in line 6, ha ha. just changed my info... Good eye!

Umm, you have brought up a good point. I have NOT ever had polished wheels before. In fact this is the first set of custom wheels & tires I have ever purchased for any vehicle. I would prefer chrome in a similar style.. OR those BLACK soft 8's you have look nice. Do you have a lift on the ole dirty mudder?
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #5
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 26,863
Images: 4
Okay, you might want to take a breath and rethink this whole thing. If this is going to become your weekend toy, you will want to set it up to play. If you put a 17" wheel on it with no lift you have to remember that the bigger the wheel, the lower the tire profile. Do you really want polished wheels? Take a look at some of the pics in the YJ pic thread and get a better idea of which way you want to go. I think you are heading in the right direction considering the soft 8s though and black is always a good color choice. IMO
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
Thanks! yeah it's the in line 6, ha ha. just changed my info... Good eye!

Umm, you have brought up a good point. I have NOT ever had polished wheels before. In fact this is the first set of custom wheels & tires I have ever purchased for any vehicle. I would prefer chrome in a similar style.. OR those BLACK soft 8's you have look nice. Do you have a lift on the ole dirty mudder?
I have a 2" coil spacer on Dirty Mudder...

Chrome is much easier to maintain than polished, not nearly as pretty IMO, but easier. Black is the easiest by far. Chrome isn't my cup of tea on a Wrangler. But everyone has different opinions on that.
Having owned several polished wheels, I can tell you that there is most certainly a high level of upkeep on them if you want to protect your investment. The effort will be rewarded, definitely, but if you don't want to put the effort in them, then you probably want to look at a painted wheel instead. Besides that, they are less expensive, saving $ for other mods..
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsDream View Post
Okay, you might want to take a breath and rethink this whole thing. If this is going to become your weekend toy, you will want to set it up to play. If you put a 17" wheel on it with no lift you have to remember that the bigger the wheel, the lower the tire profile. Do you really want polished wheels? Take a look at some of the pics in the YJ pic thread and get a better idea of which way you want to go. I think you are heading in the right direction considering the soft 8s though and black is always a good color choice. IMO
ahhhhhhh

ok, after the breath, lol, I am going chrome or black, BUT have just fell in love with the CRAGAR soft 8's(and their price). I'll post when I purchase & do before & after pics. Thanks guys!
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 06:13 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 205
I just bought the cragar soft 8s too, and get the rubber mounted on Tuesday, pictures to follow. From everything I've read, and had friends tell me when I asked for advice before I bought rims and tires, you want to stay with the 15x8s. Several reasons:
A) Tires are cheaper in a 15" rim size, (significantly)
B) The more rubber on the sidewall, the better for off road
C) 15" rims are cheaper than 17" rims, (combine that with 15" tires being cheaper... that's a double whammy)

General consensus seems to be that you can go as wide as a 12.50 inch tire (ie 33x12.50 R-15) on a 15x8, and probably up to a 37 inch tall. I'm no expert, but more experienced people advised me to go that way and after reading up I'm confident that I made the right choice.

Cragar Soft 8's with Dunlop Mud Rovers 31x10.50R-15 is what I went with. If you wait til Tuesday/Wednesday I'll post pictures, and you can see what it will look like before you buy.
__________________
Boy do I miss Wisconsin...

Famous Last Words: "Hey, check this out!"
redneckpilot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Thanks redneckpilot... I can't wait to see pics! What kind, if any, lift do you have?

Ok, so going with the 15x8 CRAGAR Soft 8's what is the largest tire I can put on my '95 YJ WITH OUT any lift?

Should I lift first?
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 205
Previous owner put in a 2.5" Budget Boost lift, (basically spacers between the coils and the frame). That's why I went with the 31" tires instead of the 32s that were on there now. I'm hoping that by the time these new tires wear down I'll be in a position where I can afford a 4" coils lift, and the necessary hardware to take care of the drivetrain and dreaded death wobble.

As to the largest tires on a YJ - I don't know, sorry.

Also, where are you buying the rims from? Summitracing.com was the best place I found, and shipping was ridiculously cheap.
__________________
Boy do I miss Wisconsin...

Famous Last Words: "Hey, check this out!"
redneckpilot is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
yjkid95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Great Lakes, Illinios.
Posts: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_YJ View Post
Thanks redneckpilot... I can't wait to see pics! What kind, if any, lift do you have?

Ok, so going with the 15x8 CRAGAR Soft 8's what is the largest tire I can put on my '95 YJ WITH OUT any lift?

Should I lift first?
The biggest tire you can put on a yj stock without a lift is a 31x10.5. But you have to have the proper backspacing. I'd say 4-3.75 and also the cragar soft 8 is a nice rim but you can get an identical rim for a bit cheaper if you look around. And the soft 8 comes in 4 inch backspacing 3.75 isnt an option. Where on some of the look a likes come with 3.75 inch backspacing. The smaller the number for backspacing the farther the wheel sticks out. This is why it helps eliminate or cut down on rubbing at a full turn.
__________________
My Build Thread... with plenty of pics
yjkid95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjkid95 View Post
The biggest tire you can put on a yj stock without a lift is a 31x10.5. But you have to have the proper backspacing. I'd say 4-3.75 and also the cragar soft 8 is a nice rim but you can get an identical rim for a bit cheaper if you look around. And the soft 8 comes in 4 inch backspacing 3.75 isnt an option. Where on some of the look a likes come with 3.75 inch backspacing. The smaller the number for backspacing the farther the wheel sticks out. This is why it helps eliminate or cut down on rubbing at a full turn.
Thanks!

I want to order this weekend sometime, got any links to the "look-a-likes"?
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
yjkid95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Great Lakes, Illinios.
Posts: 1,849
rustysoffroad.com they have some and they come in 3.75 backspacing
__________________
My Build Thread... with plenty of pics
yjkid95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
ORDERED! Got 5 of the CRAGAR soft 8's, 15.8 w/ 4" backspacing(gloss black) from summit(thanks redneckpilot) for a grand total of $251.70 SHIPPED!

Now on to the tires...
__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
billy_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 922
The nicest lady EVER with the sweetest voice called me today to let me know my wheels had shipped and should be sitting outside of my door when I get home from work Wed or Thur!!!

Going to the Tire Shop here tomorrow to price/order tires... I'm after the BFG AT's or GY Duratracs... Honestly, I don't have a preference... I just like the tread pattern on both of these. Any other tires to consider???

__________________

-Billy
Project Woody
'87 Grand Wagoneer "Woody"
'94 Wrangler YJ "Blue"
billy_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally got a real 4x4!!! Zack WF New Member Check In 6 08-04-2010 10:51 AM
My buildup- FINALLY moving ahead thaduke2003 JK General Discussion Forum 41 04-02-2010 08:46 AM
finally working on the yard... tiny terror Off-Topic 35 10-12-2009 01:26 AM
Finally got a Jeep, now need some suggestions snksknr94 YJ General Discussion Forum 1 05-03-2009 01:06 AM
Finally getting around to doing this BrandyBAH WF New Member Check In 8 11-23-2006 06:14 PM


» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC