Lift - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Lift

I was trying to figure out what would be a good lift sizes for my 2013 Unlimited Rubicon. For now I am going to keep stock rims and tires.


What are prices like for each lift?

Attachment 217748

Thanks guys.

Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
It really depends on how you plan on using your Jeep, and what you think looks good.

Some basics:

You can get a leveling kit or budget boost (BB) for cheap. TeraFlex makes a $130 leveling kit that'll raise your front 2" and your rear 1", eliminating your Jeep's factory rake. They also make a Performance Leveling Kit that does the same thing, but with new springs (rather than pucks), which can handle a bit more weight.

Next up are the 2.5" lifts. You can get them with shock extensions or with new shocks. Good ones are TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, OME, AEV and Metalcloak (don't think their 2.5" version is out yet). For a full kit with shocks and springs, you're looking at roughly $800-$1000+, just for the kit. In some cases, you may need to add a part or two...adjustable control arms to adjust caster; adj trackbars to re-center your axles; an exhaust spacer to keep the exhaust and stock front driveshaft from hitting on 2012 and up models.

After the 2.5" lifts you're getting into $$. For lifts 3"+ you'll need to add driveshafts (eventually), to all of the things I just listed in the 2.5" section. Plus brake line relocation brackets and, in some cases, high steer kits.

The advantage of a true lift (one w/ springs and shocks) is that it can handle the rigors of off-roading far better than your stock setup; it'll give you more clearance and articulation; it'll handle the weight of aftermarket bumpers, skids, winch, etc; often, it'll improve handling on-road, eliminating the body roll and squishy feeling you get with the stock springs.

IMO, there's really no need to go beyond a 2.5" lift unless you plan on crawling big rocks, and need the clearance. The reward-to-cost ratio starts to diminish quickly. A 2.5" lift will let you clear 35" tires (which have their own extra expenses, as compared to 33" tires), and even 37s with some trimming and flat fenders.

One thing: the lift is one place you don't wanna go cheap. Buy a good one so your Jeep doesn't end up spending half it's time in the shop, bleeding your wallet.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,179
Here's what other peeps have done, lift-wise. Be aware, most everyone will tell you his or her lift is awesome, even if it's junk. That's why it's important to educate yourself on the ins and outs of lifting a Jeep, and the advantages and shortcomings of individual lifts.

Or you can just slap a cheapie on that bad boy and hope you don't have any problems for a little while.

Start at the back of the thread for the most recent lifts: JK Lift Reviews

Some other helpful threads: Lifting in steps.
List of tools for working on your Jeep
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
It really depends on how you plan on using your Jeep, and what you think looks good.

Some basics:

You can get a leveling kit or budget boost (BB) for cheap. TeraFlex makes a $130 leveling kit that'll raise your front 2" and your rear 1", eliminating your Jeep's factory rake. They also make a Performance Leveling Kit that does the same thing, but with new springs (rather than pucks), which can handle a bit more weight.

Next up are the 2.5" lifts. You can get them with shock extensions or with new shocks. Good ones are TeraFlex, Rock Krawler, OME, AEV and Metalcloak (don't think their 2.5" version is out yet). For a full kit with shocks and springs, you're looking at roughly $800-$1000+, just for the kit. In some cases, you may need to add a part or two...adjustable control arms to adjust caster; adj trackbars to re-center your axles; an exhaust spacer to keep the exhaust and stock front driveshaft from hitting on 2012 and up models.

After the 2.5" lifts you're getting into $$. For lifts 3"+ you'll need to add driveshafts (eventually), to all of the things I just listed in the 2.5" section. Plus brake line relocation brackets and, in some cases, high steer kits.

The advantage of a true lift (one w/ springs and shocks) is that it can handle the rigors of off-roading far better than your stock setup; it'll give you more clearance and articulation; it'll handle the weight of aftermarket bumpers, skids, winch, etc; often, it'll improve handling on-road, eliminating the body roll and squishy feeling you get with the stock springs.

IMO, there's really no need to go beyond a 2.5" lift unless you plan on crawling big rocks, and need the clearance. The reward-to-cost ratio starts to diminish quickly. A 2.5" lift will let you clear 35" tires (which have their own extra expenses, as compared to 33" tires), and even 37s with some trimming and flat fenders.

One thing: the lift is one place you don't wanna go cheap. Buy a good one so your Jeep doesn't end up spending half it's time in the shop, bleeding your wallet.
Thanks for taking the time out to write all that. I am most likely going with a 2 or 2 1/2 inch lift. When I parked beside the Unlimited Saharah it was set a little lower. Is the Unlimited Rubicon a little higher?
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
Here's what other peeps have done, lift-wise. Be aware, most everyone will tell you his or her lift is awesome, even if it's junk. That's why it's important to educate yourself on the ins and outs of lifting a Jeep, and the advantages and shortcomings of individual lifts.

Or you can just slap a cheapie on that bad boy and hope you don't have any problems for a little while.

Start at the back of the thread for the most recent lifts: JK Lift Reviews

Some other helpful threads: Lifting in steps.
List of tools for working on your Jeep
Thank you for the information. I don't plan on going cheap, most likely taking it into the dealership so that i do not void any Warranty.
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
So I think after researching I am going to be doing a 3" lift with 35" tires.
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
I am looking at doing this through the dealership:
2 inch Stage 2 Mopar with Fox shocks ($1,999.00 # P5156116)
Track bar and steering stabilizer ($91.75 #P5155512).
Wheel aliment: $109.95
Labor an hour ($55)
Sales tax (6%)
Shop fee ($30)

They want to charge me for 12 hours for the install and Mopar web site says 6.5 and I called there parts department and they stated 6 as well. What do you think a good all-around price to pay for the lift is? Does anyone have any clue why they have are trying to charge for 12 hours?
The only reason I am doing this through the dealership is to keep warrant on my vehicle.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There total price they have come up with is $2,900.
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,361
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
You'll still keep the warranty if you install it yourself or at some other location. You can keep the cost less if you don't go mopar. they are ridiculously overpriced and you don't need most of the components.

Here's a write up of my lift. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer...i'm just using it as reference. Less components than the mopar lift, more money saved and still a great dual purpose rig.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rub...ew-254067.html

btw, $500 for install/alignment for all the parts listed.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Blue Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU View Post
You'll still keep the warranty if you install it yourself or at some other location. You can keep the cost less if you don't go mopar. they are ridiculously overpriced and you don't need most of the components. Here's a write up of my lift. It doesn't have to be the same manufacturer...i'm just using it as reference. Less components than the mopar lift, more money saved and still a great dual purpose rig. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rub...ew-254067.html btw, $500 for install/alignment for all the parts listed.

I guess what I was trying to say is that the parts and labor on the vehicle will be warrantied. The lift is a bit expensive but I have heard good things about mopar.

Your jeep looks good, nice post and information. How much did you pay for everything?

Thank you
Blue Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,361
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
your jeep will be warrantied. the parts will be warrantied by the manufacturer. mopar is a combination of teraflex and fox. its pretty good but overpriced. you could do a teraflex kit for much less.

i paid about 1k for the lift kit, jks disco's, teraflex exhaust spacer, and aev geometry brackets. total was 1500 for parts/install/alignment otd.

and thanks for the kind words.

__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC