Looking for Narrow 31" Tires - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Independence, MO
Posts: 49
Question Looking for Narrow 31" Tires

I like the look of the narrow tire / Stock rim set up, I am lifting 2.5inches on my 94YJ, what 31" tires will fit well on the stock 15x7 steel rims?

bryandhispup is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
chasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryandhispup View Post
I like the look of the narrow tire / Stock rim set up, I am lifting 2.5inches on my 94YJ, what 31" tires will fit well on the stock 15x7 steel rims?
I am running a set of Super Swamper SSR Radials on my 93 YJ. I have a 2.5" Rubicon Express lift and Jeep Gambler style rims. These are not super wide tires... they barely stick out past the stock fender flares. It still passes state inspection here in PA.

I love these tires! I have had them in the rocks and mud at Rausch Creek and they perform well. They have done well in the snow and on wet pavement too, since the center 2 rows of tread have siping!

Here's a pic of what they look like on my rig:

__________________
1951 CJ3A Universal: "Garage Queen"
1983 CJ8 Scrambler: "Project"
1993 YJ Wrangler: "Wheeler"
2008 JK Rubicon "Locked & Loaded"
chasm is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,613
I'm guessing that the skinniest standard tire would be 9.5," which is pretty skinny in today's big-tire world.

Any skinnier, and you'd probably be in specialty tires like this Mickey Thompson racing tire. And they might not be street legal.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
chasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
I'm guessing that the skinniest standard tire would be 9.5," which is pretty skinny in today's big-tire world.

Any skinnier, and you'd probably be in specialty tires like this Mickey Thompson racing tire. And they might not be street legal.
There's always the non-directional military style tires like the ones I run on my Willys! (Actually, some of the Willys and early CJ guys are using some of the narrow Super Swampers. They give it a cool old school look, but are made with modern technology, unlike the ND's and NDCC's.) Check out the TSL Swampers on their website for look and sizes.
__________________
1951 CJ3A Universal: "Garage Queen"
1983 CJ8 Scrambler: "Project"
1993 YJ Wrangler: "Wheeler"
2008 JK Rubicon "Locked & Loaded"
chasm is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasm View Post
There's always the non-directional military style tires like the ones I run on my Willys!
Well, if he had said "I want narrow tires that are solid rubber, never flex, look tough but slide on the pavement" I would definitely have suggested those military donuts.

Sorry. I've got a 1960 CJ, and it used to have tires like that. My dad's desire to be authentic.

edit: I saw your smiley, and realize you're beinglighthearted. I just realized that this sounds real pompous.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
chasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
Well, if he had said "I want narrow tires that are solid rubber, never flex, look tough but slide on the pavement" I would definitely have suggested those military donuts.

Sorry. I've got a 1960 CJ, and it used to have tires like that. My dad's desire to be authentic.

edit: I saw your smiley, and realize you're beinglighthearted. I just realized that this sounds real pompous.
Yep, the sarcasm was intended regarding the Non-Directional military tires. I took my CJ3A out in the snow with them once. Just had to see what it would do... they dig into the snow real nice, but stopping isn't something that they were made for! I take my other Jeeps out in the snow and keep the CJ3A and its' NDCC's in the nice warm garage!

__________________
1951 CJ3A Universal: "Garage Queen"
1983 CJ8 Scrambler: "Project"
1993 YJ Wrangler: "Wheeler"
2008 JK Rubicon "Locked & Loaded"
chasm is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
31 inch , narrow , steel , stock rims , tires

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
31" tires with 2" lift 98goldtj TJ General Discussion Forum 8 04-07-2009 04:10 PM
5.5 on 6 wheels and 31" tires Joe Dirt Classifieds Archive 0 04-15-2008 05:25 PM
31" Tires W/O budget boost Kit? whitesport TJ General Discussion Forum 37 02-02-2008 10:52 AM
31" tires & Spedo 4point TJ General Discussion Forum 7 04-06-2007 10:19 PM
Would 31" tires cause "bump steer"? comptech78 TJ Tech Forum 6 10-17-2006 12:57 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC