Hi, I've got a 2002 TJ X with 4.0 and 5 speed manual and assuming 3.07 axle gear. This is my recreational driver and off-road toy! Today it's bone stock but tomorrow will be adding a TeraFlex 3" lift with sway bar quick disconnects and new wheels.
At this point I'd like to not regear and not modify the fender.
Goals: better tire, better in mud and sand and climbs, slightly wider profile for balance
Judging by this chart I think I'd want 265/85r16
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Tires
So here are the questions of course
1) can my TJ handle that tire which is a 31.7x10.5 without regear and not too much of an impact on pep?
2) should I go for the C to E? The E says will sit .5" wider. But it's also heavier.
3) Is going to 16's a mistake in the big picture?
4) How are Black Rock wheels, thinking of these:
Black Rock Wheels 942581237 - Black Rock Series 942 Type D Steel Wheel in Matte Black for Jeep® Vehicles with 5x4.5 Bolt Pattern - Quadratec
5) Assuming bolts are 5x4.5 and size is 16x8, right?
6) Which backspacing should I get? 5" or 4.25"
I think that last one is the zinger. As I understand it the stock BS is 6" so if I get the 5" that'll have it an 1" further out with a tire that is 1" wider, right?
I know lots of question and I appreciate help very much in advance.