Running a not full size spare - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
Running a not full size spare

I was doing a little trading at a local jeep junk yard and was able to get some great stuff that I needed and I was also able to trade the old tiny stock spare for a 31x10.50. The only thing is I am running 33x12.50's. I am eventually going to get a true full size spare, but for now will that 31 be enough to just limp me off the trail?

FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
The only reason I didn't trade for a 33 is because he just didn't have any at the time.

FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Blue_94_YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mantachie, Mississippi
Posts: 147
I have the actual Jeep donut tire for my spare. Here's hoping I never have to use it.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
Blue_94_YJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
Yeah, and the last Jeep I owned had no spare at all. So I guess something is better than nothing.
FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDWheelin View Post
I was doing a little trading at a local jeep junk yard and was able to get some great stuff that I needed and I was also able to trade the old tiny stock spare for a 31x10.50. The only thing is I am running 33x12.50's. I am eventually going to get a true full size spare, but for now will that 31 be enough to just limp me off the trail?
It'll get you home if you need it to. I wouldn't tour the German Autobahn on it, but that's just me.

According to Murphy's Law, you'll get multiple flats with the pee-wee spare, and never have another one after you drop some coin on a full-size replacement.
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
It'll get you home if you need it to. I wouldn't tour the German Autobahn on it, but that's just me.

According to Murphy's Law, you'll get multiple flats with the pee-wee spare, and never have another one after you drop some coin on a full-size replacement.
You are probably exactly right with the Murphy's Law. But like you mentioned, I would only use it to get me off the trail and home. No Autobahn for me haha. Thanks for the input.
FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
It'll work in an emergency, but

If you have a flat on the rear, you should swap with a front tire and use the SMALL spare, on the front to get you outta the badlands--

The front diff still turns, but outta 4wd--THERE'S NO LOAD ON THE DIFF.

Drive slow-if you still haveta use 4wd--GOOD LUCK-

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
It'll work in an emergency, but

If you have a flat on the rear, you should swap with a front tire and use the SMALL spare, on the front to get you outta the badlands--

The front diff still turns, but outta 4wd--THERE'S NO LOAD ON THE DIFF.

Drive slow-if you still haveta use 4wd--GOOD LUCK-

JIMBO
Thanks for the tip JIMBOX. Good lookin' out. I will be sure to remember that if I run into trouble. Fingers crossed that won't happen tho.
FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
YUP, the chances of a flat on the freeway, are greater than off road, unless you're airing WAY DOWN !


Quote:
Originally Posted by FDWheelin View Post
Thanks for the tip JIMBOX. Good lookin' out. I will be sure to remember that if I run into trouble. Fingers crossed that won't happen tho.
Don't think that letting air outta the other tires will balanceit --NOPE

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
FDWheelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CO Springs
Posts: 39
duly noted
FDWheelin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 34
good info here.
tbreaux is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
JRoweMDN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Keystone Heights
Posts: 309
I just recently had a buddy tear up the rear end on his truck driving home 50 miles on a 31 spare with 35's. The front swap is the ticket and go slow.

JRoweMDN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC