Sahara 18" vs. Rubicon 17" - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corunna, Mi
Posts: 17
Sahara 18" vs. Rubicon 17"

I am looking for some wheels and tires for my YJ and haven't had much luck finding anything used that would make sense buying. About ready to just get some Soft 8's and some cheaper new tires.

Then I started running across some good deals on used Sahara's and Rubicon tires and wheels. I can get a set of 5 Saharas with Duelers for $400 or a set of 5 Rubicons with BFG MT's for $600. Each have about 10K miles on them. I would rather have the BFG but the Duelers would work for most of what I would be using them for.

I realize that both would require adapters but I am putting a Ford 8.8 in and thought that if I could get a larger adapter in the back than in the front it would make up for the axle being 5/8" shorter on each side.

I would prefer a 33 or 34 by 12.5 tire and both of these tires are 32x10. I was thinking that I could run these until they were wore down and then buy bigger tires.

Here are the questions:

Thoughts on Rubicons vs Shaharas? 18 vs 17 for performance/look.

Why in the world are 18 inch tires so much more than 17 inch tires??? It would seem like less rubber would be needed to make the same tire but the 18s are more expensive.

GPappy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Newport News, VA / Rodanthe, NC
Posts: 19
Personally, I think the 18" wheels are just too big and blingy-looking. I'd go with the Rubicons. I have no idea why tires get more expensive for the bigger wheels. It's weird.

sdwndr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPappy
I am looking for some wheels and tires for my YJ and haven't had much luck finding anything used that would make sense buying. About ready to just get some Soft 8's and some cheaper new tires.

Then I started running across some good deals on used Sahara's and Rubicon tires and wheels. I can get a set of 5 Saharas with Duelers for $400 or a set of 5 Rubicons with BFG MT's for $600. Each have about 10K miles on them. I would rather have the BFG but the Duelers would work for most of what I would be using them for.

I realize that both would require adapters but I am putting a Ford 8.8 in and thought that if I could get a larger adapter in the back than in the front it would make up for the axle being 5/8" shorter on each side.

I would prefer a 33 or 34 by 12.5 tire and both of these tires are 32x10. I was thinking that I could run these until they were wore down and then buy bigger tires.

Here are the questions:

Thoughts on Rubicons vs Shaharas? 18 vs 17 for performance/look.

Why in the world are 18 inch tires so much more than 17 inch tires??? It would seem like less rubber would be needed to make the same tire but the 18s are more expensive.
Double on the expensiveness of a bigger rimed tire. But I think 18" is pushing it with offroadability. I have the 16"rubicon rims from the tjs and I like the look not too big not too small in relation to the rubber. I'd go 17" in your case tho
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
x3
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corunna, Mi
Posts: 17
Thanks all for the input. I did some more research and decided to stick with 15" rims. I bought some new Soft 8's from Summit and some 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2s from Discount tire. Never could get anyone to tell me for sure why the tires for larger diameter rims cost more but a friend had an idea that makes sense. If you look at the load rating on most 17 and 18 inch wheels they are D or E which is a bit stiff for a Jeep.

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2

35x12.5x15 Load Range C - $190
315-75R17 Load Range D - $275 (these are close in size)

Then only C range I could find in 17s was the 25575R17 at $194 but that was smaller than I wanted.


So for just a tad over $1000 mounted and spun balanced for new tires and rims I decided to stay with the 15". I do have 5" of spring lift and a 3" body lift so the 35's should work fine. I don't care for that much body lift so I after I get things mounted and tested I will reduce that as much as possible.
GPappy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Excellent choice!
__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPappy
Thanks all for the input. I did some more research and decided to stick with 15" rims. I bought some new Soft 8's from Summit and some 35x12.5x15 BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2s from Discount tire. Never could get anyone to tell me for sure why the tires for larger diameter rims cost more but a friend had an idea that makes sense. If you look at the load rating on most 17 and 18 inch wheels they are D or E which is a bit stiff for a Jeep.

BFGoodrich Mud Terrain KM2

35x12.5x15 Load Range C - $190
315-75R17 Load Range D - $275 (these are close in size)

Then only C range I could find in 17s was the 25575R17 at $194 but that was smaller than I wanted.

So for just a tad over $1000 mounted and spun balanced for new tires and rims I decided to stay with the 15". I do have 5" of spring lift and a 3" body lift so the 35's should work fine. I don't care for that much body lift so I after I get things mounted and tested I will reduce that as much as possible.
Hmm yeah my 16" are load E I think. Rated for around 3050lbs per tire

Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duplicolor spray on bedliner on stock 18" 2008 Sahara wheels... Se7endust1 JK General Discussion Forum 44 09-04-2014 11:36 PM
Sahara 18" Wheel levimcvay JK General Discussion Forum 2 09-28-2010 09:54 AM
1994 Sahara or so I thought KeithMonday YJ General Discussion Forum 5 03-17-2010 02:36 PM
Ohio - 2009 18" OEM (JK) Sahara Wheels, Tires, and TPMS - set of five Ape Classifieds Archive 1 09-23-2009 06:26 PM
Sahara to rubicon BJ'STJ TJ General Discussion Forum 3 08-21-2006 08:53 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC