Tire choices - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Tire choices

What tires should I get?! I'm looking for a good quality 33" tire for my 16" rims. But don't know what to go for. What do you have? Post pics if possible too!

Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Are you wanting an All terrain, Mud tire, street tire?

Is the Jeep going to get wheeled or just be on the street?

__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
stryke-force's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 226
Here are BFG AT's. 305/70/16
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110615_182247.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	53721  
stryke-force is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
G54
another brick in the wall

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 17,067
Images: 5
I loved my Mickey Thompson MTZs. They did great in everything. They probably wear kind of fast on the street, and a little more expensive than some...but aired down to about 15psi they went through thick, sticky mud great and rocks and sand were no problem either. Also gripped great on rainy roads and snow thanks to generous siping.

I'd post pics but photobucket isn't responding at the moment.

Eh..I got this one on my hard drive....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_D2C6905oldgusontherocks.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	53726  
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
if memory serves me correct your tire options since you want a 33 your looking at 285/75, 305/70, and I think 255/85 is a tire size as well.. Someone can correct if im wrong..
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob
Are you wanting an All terrain, Mud tire, street tire?

Is the Jeep going to get wheeled or just be on the street?
Sorry I forgot to add that. Im liking for a nice mud terrain. Or a really good all terrain
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #7
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ Knight
if memory serves me correct your tire options since you want a 33 your looking at 285/75, 305/70, and I think 255/85 is a tire size as well.. Someone can correct if im wrong..
Ive been looking mainly at the 255-85r16. I've had my eye on some bfg km2's. But want to see what other people are riding on
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Irongrave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 2,800
Send a message via AIM to Irongrave
I love KM2s for street and trail use. I had a set on my old XJ and have a set on the Ram and I love them. best road going wheeling tire I've ever owned.
__________________
4421
Irongrave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekaz1 View Post
Sorry I forgot to add that. Im liking for a nice mud terrain. Or a really good all terrain
In that case I would second the MTZ. Best all around tire I have ever ran. And since you are going with 16" you wont run into the issues with tread life. The 16" D range tire will run 50K with out much problem. I generally sell mine at about 45K with plenty of tread left. Just to get some good money out of them for their replacements.
Mine are 285/75 16's on a 4.5" backspaced rim


__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongrave
I love KM2s for street and trail use. I had a set on my old XJ and have a set on the Ram and I love them. best road going wheeling tire I've ever owned.
How loud are they on road? I have wrangler mt/r's and there loud as shit. My friends call me the train cuz they can hear me coming a mile away
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Scoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekaz1 View Post
How loud are they on road? I have wrangler mt/r's and there loud as shit. My friends call me the train cuz they can hear me coming a mile away
They wont be near as loud as the MT/r. The only drawback to the KM2 is the lack of siping on the tread. Which means they dont handle snow/rain covered roads near as well as a tire that does. Like the MTZ, Cooper STT or Toyo Open Country MT . I would look at any of those tires over the KM2 for driving in Mass.
__________________
Scoob
Scoob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,129
Duratracs make a C load
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob

They wont be near as loud as the MT/r. The only drawback to the KM2 is the lack of siping on the tread. Which means they dont handle snow/rain covered roads near as well as a tire that does. Like the MTZ, Cooper STT or Toyo Open Country MT . I would look at any of those tires over the KM2 for driving in Mass.
Ok! Thanks for the info. Yeah some good snow traction is definately needed if we ever have a winter like last again
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Im a HUGE fan of the STT's.. But I think they are on national back order so you might have trouble finding them
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Gouch_07_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Slave Lake AB
Posts: 364
You wont really find a straight up mud tire with siping, you'll have to go to an A/T if you want siping. I run 265/75/16 km2's and love them, there is no road noise at all for me. You might be able to get the nitto trail grappler, the only size i can think of right now for a 16 is the 285/65/16. there are a stellar tire which dont have much road noise at all. might be able to get them in an actuall 33 as well now that i think of it. as for the toyo dont bother cause the trail grappler is the same thing just a better(made by the same people). I find mickey thompsons wear really fast and seperate way more then other tires, same as dick cepeks. plus with how bad they wear i also find they are heard to keep balanced. Now the differance between my info and everyone elses, is that its all from oil patch trucks that see muddy/gravel covered/hard/ pot holes you cant go over faster then 10km/h, and really crappy highways for 12 hours a day and get the crap bagged out of them. good old alberta oil fields lol I work for a tire shop and most guys with mud tires run either the km2 or the trail grappler. for A/T they run mostly the BFG A/T ko. occasionally we have some duratracs come in, but we dont deal with goodyear tires period. We actually have some guys run the mud grappler but they sound like a helicopter on the highway lol so there is my two cents and i hope it helps you haha
Gouch_07_X is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Xsnois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: savannah
Posts: 561
Awesome luck with these. $170 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1105640977.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	53860   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1417200011.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	53861  

__________________
if you are on a home comp and have questions for me please send me a pm here because they go to my phone as i dont get a chance to get on here with my comp thanks
Xsnois is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 10:55 PM   #17
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouch_07_X
You wont really find a straight up mud tire with siping, you'll have to go to an A/T if you want siping. I run 265/75/16 km2's and love them, there is no road noise at all for me. You might be able to get the nitto trail grappler, the only size i can think of right now for a 16 is the 285/65/16. there are a stellar tire which dont have much road noise at all. might be able to get them in an actuall 33 as well now that i think of it. as for the toyo dont bother cause the trail grappler is the same thing just a better(made by the same people). I find mickey thompsons wear really fast and seperate way more then other tires, same as dick cepeks. plus with how bad they wear i also find they are heard to keep balanced. Now the differance between my info and everyone elses, is that its all from oil patch trucks that see muddy/gravel covered/hard/ pot holes you cant go over faster then 10km/h, and really crappy highways for 12 hours a day and get the crap bagged out of them. good old alberta oil fields lol I work for a tire shop and most guys with mud tires run either the km2 or the trail grappler. for A/T they run mostly the BFG A/T ko. occasionally we have some duratracs come in, but we dont deal with goodyear tires period. We actually have some guys run the mud grappler but they sound like a helicopter on the highway lol so there is my two cents and i hope it helps you haha
Oh trust me. I know the helicopter noise. Mine do them like crazy! Haha. Good ole wrangler mt/r's. Too bad they don't make my version anymore. I really liked them. But that's why I'm looking for new kind. I've herd great things about the km2 and everyone seems to love them. And there only $200 a piece for 33" which is great
Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsnois View Post
Awesome luck with these. $170 each.
These are one of the best sand tires out there. If I was in the dunes most of the time, these generals rock..

Out side of that.. Meh
__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Owen_TJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,245
Falken Rocky Mountains!!!!
Owen_TJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2011, 04:59 PM   #20
Supporting jeeper!

WF Supporting Member
 
Mikekaz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Springfield ma
Posts: 3,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_TJ
Falken Rocky Mountains!!!!
Hey matt, do you have a pic of them?

Mikekaz1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Size anthony20031 JK General Discussion Forum 36 03-09-2012 04:52 PM
Pic Request: TJ's on 16" Moabs FLjeep TJ General Discussion Forum 60 05-10-2011 10:10 AM
tire choices...... badrubi03 Tires & Wheels 2 06-29-2010 08:46 PM
What Are Your Top 5 Tire Choices? Scooby TJ General Discussion Forum 21 02-08-2008 07:01 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC