Tire questions.... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 83
Cool Tire questions....

So, it's about time to put my summer rims and tires away for the God aweful winter here in the windy city. I am looking to get some tires that aren't too expensive & look BEEFY for my stock rims. The size I'm getting are 305/70/17 that would be good in the RAIN and SNOW. I really like the MAXXIS BIG HORN, but I hear they aren't so good in the rain. Any suggestions? Pictures of something you might have would be great! Thanks!!!

Foxy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3
Keep the tires you have on it now just get them sipped, costs like 15$ a tire

Cerunnos917 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerunnos917 View Post
Keep the tires you have on it now just get them sipped, costs like 15$ a tire
What does sipped mean? I was told that my rims would get ruined too???
Foxy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-18-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
xxxxxxxxdavem
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
yea we ran the procomp wheels the first winter and the salt pitted them. they were replacd under warranty. we now run the factory rubi wheels and stock tires. looks dumb as hell but o well
  Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10
The GoodYear DuraTrac are a good "beefy" tire good in snow, ice and offroad.

Here is one next to a 35/ 12.5 BFG Mud Terrain which is on 10" wide rim (right) and the DuraTrac (left) is still unmounted.



That is quarter in the tread...



Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions, as seen in the pics of the DuraTracs.
jamesjr934 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
scopop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hedgesville WV
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
So, it's about time to put my summer rims and tires away for the God aweful winter here in the windy city. I am looking to get some tires that aren't too expensive & look BEEFY for my stock rims. The size I'm getting are 305/70/17 that would be good in the RAIN and SNOW. I really like the MAXXIS BIG HORN, but I hear they aren't so good in the rain. Any suggestions? Pictures of something you might have would be great! Thanks!!!
305/70/17 seems a bit wide for the stock rims unless you have spacers? Hanhook makes a Dynapro MT RT03 which is great in the snow and has a beefy look to it. I just bought a set and so far am happy with them. I also hear they wear well. you can get a 285/70/17 (33 inches) for $214 at Discount tires with no shiping or taxes!
scopop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Foxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 83
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjr934 View Post
The GoodYear DuraTrac are a good "beefy" tire good in snow, ice and offroad.

Here is one next to a 35/ 12.5 BFG Mud Terrain which is on 10" wide rim (right) and the DuraTrac (left) is still unmounted.



That is quarter in the tread...



Siping is the process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions, as seen in the pics of the DuraTracs.

Thanks!!!

Foxy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire - Wheel size combo questions... MouthfulOfGrass TJ Tech Forum 13 10-30-2009 09:05 PM
Tire questions johnnykane TJ General Discussion Forum 1 03-04-2009 02:38 PM
spare tire questions liveoutdoors3400 TJ General Discussion Forum 7 02-08-2009 06:38 PM
My (almost mine) 2000 Wrangler Tire Questions King of Beers TJ General Discussion Forum 23 03-18-2008 08:46 PM
Newb tire question(s) MouthfulOfGrass General Jeep Discussion 13 02-16-2007 07:54 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC