Toyo AT2 Vs Duratracs - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Ngin40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 47
Toyo AT2 Vs Duratracs

Hi looking to hear from Jeeper's who owned both the Toyo and Duratracs? Im looking to go with one or the other. I drive a 2013 JKU Sahara. I travel 50 miles each way to work on the highway but only twice a week so the noise is a factor but only if one is significantly louder than the other. I do some light to medium off roading/mudding no rock crawling. So my question is Which did you like better and what do you think is better for my purpose. Thanks in Advance

PS looking to go with 33's

__________________
2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. Stock no upgrades yet
Ngin40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
jimkellam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 140
Good question. I've had the same question for awhile. From what I have found, both are great tires. For distance driving probably the Toyo's would work out pretty good for everything. Duratracs seem to be more popular though. A friend of mine bought the Toyo's for her jeep and loves them. Works great in the snow up there. For more mud/offroad I think I would personally go with duratrac. Most jeeps where I live use duratrac's for city driving too so it is really all personal opinion and preference. I will probably go with duratrac 33's.

jimkellam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
I am putting on my duratrac 33's tonight. My yj is my DD and I drive mostly highway each day.. I will let you know how they work out next week, after a few days seeing how they are on the highway and around town. I am curious to see the noise level also..
lilmexx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
I can not speak for the GY but my toyos have been great both on and off the road. They only condition I have not had them in is real deep mud, but sand, rocks, ice, snow and on the highway they have excelled. I am on my 3rd set and if my present ones got stolen tonight I would replace them with the same. I would however suggest getting the 34" ie 285/75-17 over the 33". my first two sets were 33's and the 34's look better in my opinion and no disadvantages.
Both same except one 34" the other 33" both on stock rims with 1.5" spidertrax.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Ngin40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I can not speak for the GY but my toyos have been great both on and off the road. They only condition I have not had them in is real deep mud, but sand, rocks, ice, snow and on the highway they have excelled. I am on my 3rd set and if my present ones got stolen tonight I would replace them with the same. I would however suggest getting the 34" ie 285/75-17 over the 33". my first two sets were 33's and the 34's look better in my opinion and no disadvantages.
Both same except one 34" the other 33" both on stock rims with 1.5" spidertrax.
Do you Need a lift with the 34's? would a 1.5" tera flex leveling kit be enough?

Thanks to everyone for replying
__________________
2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. Stock no upgrades yet
Ngin40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngin40 View Post
Do you Need a lift with the 34's? would a 1.5" tera flex leveling kit be enough?

Thanks to everyone for replying
yes that is what is on billet one a TF 1.5" performance coil lift mine has a 2" AEV lift. both lifts are similar and both give enough lift that you can flex and not rub. The TF has to remove the front brake bracket just like the aev kit so it does not over stretch the brake line and on the rear brake line there needs to be a brake line bracket relocator. neither kit comes with one but I have been on the rti ramp and the brake line gets over stretched without relocating it.

you could not run the 34's with out at least the 1.5" lift if you were going off road.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
jimkellam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexx View Post
I am putting on my duratrac 33's tonight. My yj is my DD and I drive mostly highway each day.. I will let you know how they work out next week, after a few days seeing how they are on the highway and around town. I am curious to see the noise level also..

Sweet. I'll be watching for your post as well! Those are what I am thinking of.
jimkellam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
jimkellam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Mission, TX
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngin40 View Post
Do you Need a lift with the 34's? would a 1.5" tera flex leveling kit be enough?

Thanks to everyone for replying
Think about a 2.5 lift. Looks so much better! IMO
jimkellam is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 44
Ok, I got the tires on Friday night and after a short drive around, I was very happy.. They are very smooth and quiet. They feel great on the jeep. I ended up going out of town Saturday morning, so I didn't get a chance to drive around town any. This morning on the way in to work, the tires were awesome on the highway. They rode very nice. Almost like riding on a cloud, compared to the rough old mudders I just took off.. Those were loud and a horrible ride.. The new duratracs are night and day difference. You could not hear them at all on the ride in.. Such a huge change in volume.. I drive about 30 miles each way, and it was an enjoyable ride and made me feel even better about my choice to purchase these.. I'll post back some more in a few days after I drive them around some more and give some more thoughts..
lilmexx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Michel347's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Laurentians, QC, Canada
Posts: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexx View Post
Ok, I got the tires on Friday night and after a short drive around, I was very happy.. They are very smooth and quiet. They feel great on the jeep. I ended up going out of town Saturday morning, so I didn't get a chance to drive around town any. This morning on the way in to work, the tires were awesome on the highway. They rode very nice. Almost like riding on a cloud, compared to the rough old mudders I just took off.. Those were loud and a horrible ride.. The new duratracs are night and day difference. You could not hear them at all on the ride in.. Such a huge change in volume.. I drive about 30 miles each way, and it was an enjoyable ride and made me feel even better about my choice to purchase these.. I'll post back some more in a few days after I drive them around some more and give some more thoughts..
Which load rating did you get ?
__________________
2012 Wrangler JK Sport 2dr, man 6 spd, 3.73 diff
Michel347 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Ngin40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexx View Post
Ok, I got the tires on Friday night and after a short drive around, I was very happy.. They are very smooth and quiet. They feel great on the jeep. I ended up going out of town Saturday morning, so I didn't get a chance to drive around town any. This morning on the way in to work, the tires were awesome on the highway. They rode very nice. Almost like riding on a cloud, compared to the rough old mudders I just took off.. Those were loud and a horrible ride.. The new duratracs are night and day difference. You could not hear them at all on the ride in.. Such a huge change in volume.. I drive about 30 miles each way, and it was an enjoyable ride and made me feel even better about my choice to purchase these.. I'll post back some more in a few days after I drive them around some more and give some more thoughts..
Thanks so much for the post. I appreciate the input keep posting
__________________
2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. Stock no upgrades yet
Ngin40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Gdirrty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mile High
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I can not speak for the GY but my toyos have been great both on and off the road. They only condition I have not had them in is real deep mud, but sand, rocks, ice, snow and on the highway they have excelled. I am on my 3rd set and if my present ones got stolen tonight I would replace them with the same. I would however suggest getting the 34" ie 285/75-17 over the 33". my first two sets were 33's and the 34's look better in my opinion and no disadvantages. Both same except one 34" the other 33" both on stock rims with 1.5" spidertrax.
Hey I love the look of your jeep and had a couple quick questions regarding your setup. First off, do you have any rubbing with 34s and only 2" lift? Full lock? Full flex?

Second, did you change the speedo? How gas has mileage been so far?

I have an appointment on 3/19 for the AEV 2" lift with geometry correction brackets as well as 285/70 GY Duratracs (1.5 spidertrax too) but am thinking I should have gone with the 285/75 AT2.

My Jeep is a 14 Rubicon Unlimited with 4.11 gears so very similar to your setup and I want a real world take on what I should do. Thanks!
Gdirrty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
I responded to your pm and no rubbing at max flex or max turn. check out my moab trip thread to see them in action. the other unlimited had them too.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 199
Will be watching this thread as well. ...I have the TF 1.5 Perf leveling kit and and like the way the toyos look with it. I was considering the duratrac/33 route but didn't know the toyos were 34. going from 3.21 & 32's to 34's: any issues with gearing? ...should I procal for 34s?
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 199
on a side note, Ngin40: good to see someone else embracing the mopar slush guards (bracing for backlash) but they really do help keep the crap off the side/rear fender
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxic1911 View Post
Will be watching this thread as well. ...I have the TF 1.5 Perf leveling kit and and like the way the toyos look with it. I was considering the duratrac/33 route but didn't know the toyos were 34. going from 3.21 & 32's to 34's: any issues with gearing? ...should I procal for 34s?
yes on the procal and they come in 33's and 34's. My moab thread shows the silver jku with 33's and he has the 1.5" TF coil kit and the white has 34's with 2" lift. with 3.21's you will be a bit sluggish. I had 33's on my last jku with 3.21's and it was a bit sluggish but not terrible I would not have been happy with 3.21's and 34's tho. It was a 2013. Check out my moab thread both had mopar mud flaps and they survived just fine. They fold flat when dropped onto rocks but bounce right back into shape none worse for wear.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 199
Like a wet sponge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
yes on the procal and they come in 33's and 34's. My moab thread shows the silver jku with 33's and he has the 1.5" TF coil kit and the white has 34's with 2" lift. with 3.21's you will be a bit sluggish. I had 33's on my last jku with 3.21's and it was a bit sluggish but not terrible I would not have been happy with 3.21's and 34's tho. It was a 2013. Check out my moab thread both had mopar mud flaps and they survived just fine. They fold flat when dropped onto rocks but bounce right back into shape none worse for wear.
Sluggish: That's my biggest fear right now, so I better stick with 33s. I feel like the giddyup has already suffered from the added weight of rubi-rail takeoffs and ace sliders on my 2014 JKU. ...looking forward to spring when I ditch the hardtop (weight) Does the procal adjust for added vehicle weight, such as rails, winches, bumpers? will suck if I have to regear to compensate for wishlist items.
hypoxic1911 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Gdirrty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mile High
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I responded to your pm and no rubbing at max flex or max turn. check out my moab trip thread to see them in action. the other unlimited had them too.
Thanks for the insight. Should I be concerned that my local shop (very reputable here in CO) is recommending that I install AEV geometry correction brackets with the 2" spacer lift? They aren't charging me for extra labor, just $100 for the parts.

I'm so torn on tire choice, DTs look a lot better and staying at 275/70 keeps the weight down and doesn't impact the stock tire carrier.

But a true 34 (285/75r17) sure would be nice....
Gdirrty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxic1911 View Post
Sluggish: That's my biggest fear right now, so I better stick with 33s. I feel like the giddyup has already suffered from the added weight of rubi-rail takeoffs and ace sliders on my 2014 JKU. ...looking forward to spring when I ditch the hardtop (weight) Does the procal adjust for added vehicle weight, such as rails, winches, bumpers? will suck if I have to regear to compensate for wishlist items.
no it just adjusts speedo so your shift points are where they should be.
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Ngin40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmexx View Post
Ok, I got the tires on Friday night and after a short drive around, I was very happy.. They are very smooth and quiet. They feel great on the jeep. I ended up going out of town Saturday morning, so I didn't get a chance to drive around town any. This morning on the way in to work, the tires were awesome on the highway. They rode very nice. Almost like riding on a cloud, compared to the rough old mudders I just took off.. Those were loud and a horrible ride.. The new duratracs are night and day difference. You could not hear them at all on the ride in.. Such a huge change in volume.. I drive about 30 miles each way, and it was an enjoyable ride and made me feel even better about my choice to purchase these.. I'll post back some more in a few days after I drive them around some more and give some more thoughts..
Any update on your tires? I'm curious to know.

As for everyone else I appreciate all the posts. I am having a difficult time deciding. I really like both looks but those 34 toyo's are appealing. My gear ratio now is 3.73 do have to re-gear with the 34's?
__________________
2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. Stock no upgrades yet
Ngin40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 6,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngin40 View Post
Any update on your tires? I'm curious to know.

As for everyone else I appreciate all the posts. I am having a difficult time deciding. I really like both looks but those 34 toyo's are appealing. My gear ratio now is 3.73 do have to re-gear with the 34's?
no
jadmt is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Ngin40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
no
Thanks

__________________
2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited. Stock no upgrades yet
Ngin40 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC