Toyo vs Bf Goodrich tires - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #31
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post

Any suggestions on wheels?
Check it discounttiredirect.com They have a large selection of wheels and tires and will mount and balance and ship for free. That's probably your best bet buying wheels and tires together

16's would be good for 35's and they are the cheapest 35" combo

jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
Check it discounttiredirect.com They have a large selection of wheels and tires and will mount and balance and ship for free. That's probably your best bet buying wheels and tires together
If I buy both wheels and tires, do you think I'd get a "discount"?

SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
rogueleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 174
One other thing to consider is overall weight of the tire and wheel. 35s are heavy, especially with steel wheels. It takes a lot of effort to lift my tire/wheel combo (I have 315/70r/17 BFG All Terrain TA kos and XT wheels. If you ever need to change a tire yourself, the weight might be quite the hassle.
rogueleader is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #34
rabbits eat lettuce

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
tabber02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: left coast, florida
Posts: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
If I buy both wheels and tires, do you think I'd get a "discount"?
yes discount tire direct offers a wrangler forum discount. be sure to mention that when you call..

__________________

-bob

2010 JK - Mountain Edition
i spend way too much money on it... that's all


Become a Supporting Member of the Wrangler Forum, upgrade your account today



tabber02 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabber02 View Post
yes discount tire direct offers a wrangler forum discount. be sure to mention that when you call..
Thank you!
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #36
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,400
I believe the discount is for 5 tires tho and it's $50. There is an $60-80 rebate on duratracs right now till the end of the year
jkjeeper06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 View Post
I believe the discount is for 5 tires tho and it's $50. There is an $60-80 rebate on duratracs right now till the end of the year
5 tires are perfect
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
Could I sell my current tires and wheels after I get new ones?
I'd hold on to your current stuff, swap on some Rubi takeoffs, and see what you think. Some people really don't like MT's for a daily driver. The difference between the various MT's is minuscule compared to the difference between any MT and any AT. Take those Rubi tires wheeling and see what you think. Way cheaper than investing in 33" MT's and wheels only to find out that's not what you want.
__________________
2013 CG JKUR. Bought not built.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
I'd hold on to your current stuff, swap on some Rubi takeoffs, and see what you think. Some people really don't like MT's for a daily driver. The difference between the various MT's is minuscule compared to the difference between any MT and any AT. Take those Rubi tires wheeling and see what you think. Way cheaper than investing in 33" MT's and wheels only to find out that's not what you want.
What's the difference between the Rubi takeoffs and a MT?
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #40
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
ElectricJay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Orange County CA.
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Forget about brand names at first. The question you need to ask is what type of tire do you need, all-terrain (BFG AT, Toyo AT, Cooper AT, too many to list), MT (BFG KM, KM2, Toyo MT, Cooper STT, too many to list) or "MT-AT hybrid" (Duratrac, Safari TSR, Cooper ST Maxx).

Also you need to know what tire size you should go with.

What are you planning to do, exactly? Are you going to lift your Jeep? Use the stock tire size? What type of off-roading?
Just to add about the Hybrid MT/AT tires. Goodyear Duratrac is the most popular and lightest tire. A 33" (285/70R17) weighs 54 lbs. 35" (315/70R17) weighs 60 lbs.
In addition to the Hybrid tires i82much posted, other Hybrids include Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3, Dick Cepek Fun Country and Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2
It might be a good idea to go off road with one of the local clubs in your area. You can see first hand what tires, lifts and other accessories they are using in your terrain.
Good luck with your choices. And most of all...have fun out there!
__________________
Jay
D Gertie 2012 JKU 3:73 LSD Black Forest Green
ElectricJay is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
scipio337's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
What's the difference between the Rubi takeoffs and a MT?

Uhhh...Rubi takeoffs are MTs. He saying you could buy some (used Rubicon takeoffs) on the cheap to try them out before commiting serious coin to new ones.
scipio337 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipio337 View Post
Uhhh...Rubi takeoffs are MTs. He saying you could buy some (used Rubicon takeoffs) on the cheap to try them out before commiting serious coin to new ones.
Alright
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricJay View Post
Just to add about the Hybrid MT/AT tires. Goodyear Duratrac is the most popular and lightest tire. A 33" (285/70R17) weighs 54 lbs. 35" (315/70R17) weighs 60 lbs. In addition to the Hybrid tires i82much posted, other Hybrids include Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3, Dick Cepek Fun Country and Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2 It might be a good idea to go off road with one of the local clubs in your area. You can see first hand what tires, lifts and other accessories they are using in your terrain. Good luck with your choices. And most of all...have fun out there!
Thank you!
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 123
Just gonna throw my .02 in. If you decide on an at the Toyo open country AT is good, but I like the dynapro AT better. Personally for MT I like the Kumho Venture MT. I had ordered a set of 35's for my ram but they didn't fit with my rim offset, they also looked too meaty for the setup I have on my rig the AT's look better.
__________________
13 JK Sport Manual trans 3.21's (stock)
Sebastian F7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian F7 View Post
Just gonna throw my .02 in. If you decide on an at the Toyo open country AT is good, but I like the dynapro AT better. Personally for MT I like the Kumho Venture MT. I had ordered a set of 35's for my ram but they didn't fit with my rim offset, they also looked too meaty for the setup I have on my rig the AT's look better.
Are they functioning how you like them to?
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
If you want the best all around tire, I'd get the duratrac. If you want a more dedicated offroad tire, especially for mud, I'd get the Nitto Mud Grappler.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,376
Have you looked at the nitto grapplers? They are the best looking tire. I have them on my truck
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
If you want the best all around tire, I'd get the duratrac. If you want a more dedicated offroad tire, especially for mud, I'd get the Nitto Mud Grappler.
Is the nitto trail grappler just as good in mud?
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 View Post
Have you looked at the nitto grapplers? They are the best looking tire. I have them on my truck
I have and I like the trail grappler the most..
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
tab22092's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
Is the nitto trail grappler just as good in mud?
Trail grapplers are good in everything. Trail graps ftw.
__________________
2013 jk 6spd - 18/59 coils - PS BFH Trail Stinger - Teraflex Hinge and Carrier - Yukon 4.56 gears - Teraflex c gussets - Teraflex front axle sleeves - Alloy USA Ball Joints - Banks Monster Exhaust - JKS Quick Discos - Pro-Comp 7069's - Fierce Attitude 35's - MORE Oil Pan/Trans Skid - PS Bombshell Diff Covers - Rancho 7000 MT's
tab22092 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 896
I've had four sets of Toyo MTs, 33" 35" and 37". Great tires, quiet, great wear and heavy beyond belief. None of the 20 tires ever needed balanced, you simply mount them and drive. I've had one set of 35" Goodyear MTRKevlars and they just wouldn't balance, one tire even took 16oz of weight and still shook. Had one set of 35" BFG KM2s and they wore well, balanced out ok, louder than all heck though! ALWAYS will buy Toyo or Nitto for the Jeep in the future. This last set of 37" tires at 75mph and the steering wheel is rock steady, no balancing needed.

On my daily driver I run Nitto Terra Grapplers, third set, balance easily and wear really well, flat spot when sitting overnight but not bad.

Just FYI of my experience with Jeep/Truck tires.
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tab22092 View Post
Trail grapplers are good in everything. Trail graps ftw.
Do you think they're better than BFG MT or AT?
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
I've had four sets of Toyo MTs, 33" 35" and 37". Great tires, quiet, great wear and heavy beyond belief. None of the 20 tires ever needed balanced, mount them and drive. I've had one set of 35" Goodyear MTRKevlars and they just wouldn't balance, one tire even took 16oz of weight and still shook. Had one set of 35" BFG KM2s and they wore well, balanced out ok, louder than all heck though! On my daily driver I run Nitto Terra Grapplers, third set, balance easily and wear really well, flat spot when sitting overnight but not bad.
Were the Toyo MT loud? Do you say those were better than the other ones you tried?
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
Were the Toyo MT loud? Do you say those were better than the other ones you tried?
Amazingly they are really not loud, especially compared to a KM2! They are heavy and expensive, but I won't run anything else on a truck than Nitto/Toyo. They are the same company by the way.
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
SaharaSamantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
Amazingly they are really not loud, especially compared to a KM2! They are heavy and expensive, but I won't run anything else on a truck than Nitto/Toyo. They are the same company by the way.
I had heard that they were.. They sound like the best route to go for me
SaharaSamantha is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
Are they functioning how you like them to?
It had the Toyo at when I bought it they were ok (kinda worn) I replaced them with the dynapro at. I put dynapros on the wifeys trailblazer (before the jk) and went and did some decent off roading for a trailblazer on at's. They also wear awesome I've heard of thus getting near 100,000 out of them.
__________________
13 JK Sport Manual trans 3.21's (stock)
Sebastian F7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 145
Toyo open country II
Utm18 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
I have and I like the trail grappler the most..

Thats what i run..
And they grab some mud.. Have zero complaints
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #59
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaSamantha View Post
Do you think they're better than BFG MT or AT?
Yes. The mud grapplers are superior to the trail grapplers in the mud because of their "claw" and "scoop" design. Having said that, the trail grapplers are great as well, and are a lot quieter on the road than mud grapplers. They are also made of lead and are damn near indestructible...but at a price...they are heavy.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #60
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 227
I wouldnt do duratracs with the weak sidewall playing in mud not knowing what could puncture it...

Puddlesplasher is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC