Hey guys, as my first post, I'd like to start with a full disclaimer that I am really unsure what I'm talking about. I have a few questions that may seem really dumb, but to be honest I was completely clueless until I started lurking around these forums. Now I'm a little better informed, but still really unsure about some of the questions I have. I kind of feel like one of those awkward 6th graders going into junior high for the first time not really sure what's going on as all the cool older kids are running around like they've been there forever. In my JK world, I can't even get my locker open!
A couple months ago I bought a 2010 Sahara Unlimited. I've never had a JK before, and I can't imagine driving anything else. As the last couple months have gone by, I've been getting the itch to get some new tires and wheels. I currently have the stock rims and tires. You all would know better than I, but I believe the stock tires are 255/70/18. I definitely plan on using this more as a road vehicle, but would like to get into some off road stuff too eventually. Besides camping, I haven't been off pavement with it yet, but would love to soon. I like to think of myself as a pretty handy person, but I don't know squat about cars.
Here are some really random and probably dumb questions I have about my Sahara. (Please don't laugh)
1. It seems that there are more options if I move away from my stock 18s and go to a 17 or 16. Is it ok to make that move from an 18 to a 17 or 16? Is it necessary, or better to stick with the 18s? From what I've read moving to a different size tire can affect your gas mileage, but anything else I would be aware of?
2. From what I have read it looks as though the biggest tire I could get would be a 285/70/17 without any modifications. Again, I don't know what the best size tire is, but that's what I was told when I went to Discount Tire. The guys seemed pretty knowledgable and wasn't pressuring to sell me anything. Would I be ok with going to a 285/70/17 tire size?
3. With the above tire size, how will that affect my mpg? I'm sure negatively, but how bad is bad? Again, I'm not trying to do any other modifications at this point. Just want a more aggressive look with the tires and wheels.
4. I think I'm kind of settled on the Duratracs, as many have suggested in numerous threads, but the guy at Discount Tire was trying to sell me the Nitto Grapplers. I have no idea which is better but it seems the majority of people suggest the Duratracs. I have nothing to base this decision off of except what I've read on the threads here. Suggestions between the two? Or is there a third cove I sold be looking at?
Now for the wheels:
5. Do many people here get their wheels from Discount Tire? There a a few I like from there such as the TKOs and Level 8 trackers. But I really like the American Outlaw Bunkers in all black, which I actually ordered in 18, but are on back order...which got me into this whole mess anyway
. Do people like American Now that I've ordered them already, I think I like some of the other wheels better. I prefer something simple and all black.
6. Really dumb question...If I order wheels online, can I take them pretty much anywhere to get installed? For example, I also like the pro comps which I don't think Discount Tire sells. If I bought them online, would DT install them for me? I would think not, but not sure.
I have plenty more questions, but I'll leave this lone for now. Sorry for being long winded, but. Truly appreciate your help!!!