What do you have? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Tcoletta19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bayonne NJ
Posts: 177
What do you have?

Hello all,
I have a 2012 jk sport and am looking to put some new wheels on it. I want to stick with all black wheels with 255/75-17 tires. Everything is stock and i plan on keeping it that way for the most. Long story short im keeping my tires but tossing the wheels i want the new wheels to be the same exact size as the stock wheels. I dont understand much about wheel shopping besides the fact that i need a 17" wheel with a 5x5 bolt pattern. I have no idea what backspacing and offset are so please educate me and also if any of you did the same thing im trying to do post a picture for me to see or if you know of any wheels that will work for me let me know.
Thanks

Tcoletta19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Since you are set on sticking with the stock tires, any 17x8 wheel with backspacing in the 4.5"-6.25" range will work. A 17x9 wheel would work as well, though the tire may look a little stretched on a wheel that wide. Out of curiousity, have you considered just bedlining or powder coating your existing wheels?

Also, backspacing is the distance from the rear of the wheel to the mounting surface. Stock backspacing is 6.25". Less backspacing means the wheels will stick out further from the vehicle, which actually looks better and provides a wider track.

__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Tcoletta19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bayonne NJ
Posts: 177
Thanks for the info the issue with doing anything to my stock wheels is that my jk is a lease and im not sure whats gona happen in 3 years so id rather just buy new wheels and if i give this jeep up i could either sell the new wheels or put them on my next car. So your saying if i get 17x8 with 6.25" backspacing i will have the same exact size wheel ad i have now. Also what about offset?
Tcoletta19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoletta19
Thanks for the info the issue with doing anything to my stock wheels is that my jk is a lease and im not sure whats gona happen in 3 years so id rather just buy new wheels and if i give this jeep up i could either sell the new wheels or put them on my next car. So your saying if i get 17x8 with 6.25" backspacing i will have the same exact size wheel ad i have now. Also what about offset?
Your stock wheels are actually 17x7.5, but going to a 17x8 won't cause any issues at all. And, yes, your stock wheels have 6.25" of backspacing.

As for the difference between offset and backspace....
Like I said earlier, backspace is the distance from the mounting surface that goes against your rotor to the rear lip of the wheel. Offset it the distance from the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. Because of this, offset can either be negative (the mounting surface is closer to the rear of the wheel) or positive (mounting surface is closer to the front of the wheel). Offset can get quite confusing.

Go have a look and play around with the calculator over at www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tcoletta19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bayonne NJ
Posts: 177
Ok thanks im going to check that out now
Tcoletta19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 29
Images: 1
Personally, I like the looks of these. Just like stock only in black.

R17873B6 - Mamba Offroad Type MR-1 Black Wheel with 5x5 Bolt Pattern in 17x8" Size & 4.75" Backspacing - Quadratec

Won't work for me without getting new tires as mine came with the 16" steel rims. But this might be exactly what you are looking for.
dwp10mm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwp10mm
Personally, I like the looks of these. Just like stock only in black.

R17873B6 - Mamba Offroad Type MR-1 Black Wheel with 5x5 Bolt Pattern in 17x8" Size & 4.75" Backspacing - Quadratec

Won't work for me without getting new tires as mine came with the 16" steel rims. But this might be exactly what you are looking for.
I like the Mambas as well. But I just have a problem paying $180 a piece for wheels that look very close to stock. But that's just me. Like I said, I really do like those wheels.

To the op, you could always plasti-dip your stock wheels. When you go to turn it in, just peel it off and you are back to stock finish wheels. Just something to consider.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 29
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
I like the Mambas as well. But I just have a problem paying $180 a piece for wheels that look very close to stock. But that's just me. Like I said, I really do like those wheels.

To the op, you could always plasti-dip your stock wheels. When you go to turn it in, just peel it off and you are back to stock finish wheels. Just something to consider.
I agree with you. They look great but are overpriced. I'm going to try the bedliner route first on my rims.
dwp10mm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Tcoletta19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bayonne NJ
Posts: 177
Thanks for the input but like was said for the same price or a little more $ i could get something with a little more to it then just the stock look but i appreciate your help
Tcoletta19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 29
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoletta19 View Post
Thanks for the input but like was said for the same price or a little more $ i could get something with a little more to it then just the stock look but i appreciate your help
You're welcome. I misread the original post and thought I saw somewhere in there where you liked the original wheels just wanted black. That's what I get for skim reading. Good luck on your search.
dwp10mm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
I am putting a lift in my 02 wrangler was wondering if anyone out there had some 32 or 33inch tires for sale. also maybe some steel rims
jpacini16 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-11-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Tcoletta19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bayonne NJ
Posts: 177
Sorry nothing for sale here

Tcoletta19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC