Wheel + Tire Weight Question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Tires & Wheels

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 7
Wheel + Tire Weight Question

I get that bigger tires = more weight = a lot more power to turn.

But my question is will a heavier/lighter wheel have the same effect as a heavier/lighter tire when it comes to the amount of power it takes to turn it. It's hard to put into words so I think the best way to describe it is with an example.

So, for example, would a 30lb tire + 30lb wheel take the same amount of "effort" to turn as a 45lb tire + 15lb wheel?

I feel like it won't be this simple due to the tire not being connected to the axle or something along those lines, but I've never found an answer to this question and was just curious if anyone could shed some light on it.

r00k is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,330
The axle is turning both the wheel and the tire. 60lbs hanging off the axle is still 60lbs no matter how its added up

krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plymouth, Vermont
Posts: 380
It would most likely take the same amount of power to get them rolling. HOWEVER.....once in motion, the heavier tire will have more "flywheel" momentum as more of the weight is towards the outside. And that's another story.
Vt rider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vt rider View Post
It would most likely take the same amount of power to get them rolling. HOWEVER.....once in motion, the heavier tire will have more "flywheel" momentum as more of the weight is towards the outside. And that's another story.
No different than a fat chick driving a miata. Just harder to stop
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
capncraigagain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbman View Post
No different than a fat chick driving a miata. Just harder to stop
What is it with fat chicks an small cars. My nephew is dating a 300# x 5' woman that drives a Ford Focus. Her daddy has a Bentley, so I don't think that its a money issue.
capncraigagain is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by capncraigagain View Post
What is it with fat chicks an small cars. My nephew is dating a 300# x 5' woman that drives a Ford Focus. Her daddy has a Bentley, so I don't think that its a money issue.
Sounds like you need to have some words with your nephew
krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
The Green Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 202
Weight distributed further to the outside of the radius will add to the rotational inertia. A heavy tire, light wheel combo will lower your ability to accelerate when compared to the light tire, heavy wheel combo. The heavy tire, light wheel combo should have an advantage at maintained highway speeds though. These difference are likely to be very minor if not negligible.
__________________
Brian
2013 JKUR
The Green Monster is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
krisbman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cheshire Oregon
Posts: 8,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green Monster View Post
Weight distributed further to the outside of the radius will add to the rotational inertia. A heavy tire, light wheel combo will lower your ability to accelerate when compared to the light tire, heavy wheel combo. The heavy tire, light wheel combo should have an advantage at maintained highway speeds though. These difference are likely to be very minor if not negligible.
Unlike a fat chick driving a miata

krisbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC