1st Oil Change...Did I kill my Jeep? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,305
Oil pressure is overrated. A friend of mine drove his 72 Ford for 3 weeks with the oilpump driveshaft laying in the bottom of the oilpan. I'll never know how that old 390 lived, but it never gave him any problems as long as he had it.

There is no need for any kind of vent to let the oil drain. The PCV system is open to the atmosphere and provides all the ventilation needed. As an added bonus, the air it vents into the engine is filtered.

__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 160
Agreed with what most others said (you'll be fine). I worked in a race engine shop for nearly 8 years and you wouldn't believe how much abuse engines can endure. The motor had a fresh dousing of the slippery stuff and some sprayed out. No worries man

-Rich

Rich331MX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Walpole, MA
Posts: 111
Speaking of engines taking abuse, back during "Cash for Clunkers", we took in a lot of Jeeps with the 4.0L I6 Engine. By rule, the engine's had to be drained of their oil, a quart of liquid silicone added, and run 'till they seized. Most engines would fail in less than 90 seconds. The 4.0L would last 3-4 minutes. Of course, this engine was solid iron-no aluminum at all.

Lastly, I changed my oil at about 650 miles and it would only take 5.5 quarts...and I lifted the front end to drain as much as I could.
MJkid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #64
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 764
First off changing oil at 5 to 6 hundred miles is just plain stupid. I have read all the hype and bs on this site about it, but have never heard of such nonsense before. Second off you have no worries as it is under warranty and no one knows or cares or can prove anything, other then you posting on this site, but I think your jeep will be fine no longer then it run and it still had a quart or two in the pan so it was was probably not sucking air or starving for oil. Don't feel bad as we have all made similar mistakes. I once changed oil in my 1984 ford 6.9 corn binder diesel and didn't put the drain plug back in. I put in about 8 quarts of oil and it started running out from under the truck and I was wading in it and wondering where all this oil was coming from. One hell of a mess and a waste of oil but I never started it. But these things happen so don't worry be happy.
KSCRUDE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #65
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowingghoul View Post
On the other hand, if this happened at a dealership, as I'm sure it has many times, after they determined the engine was running fine do you think they'd tell the owner, or just close it up and call it good?
True. I have a good buddy who worked for a Chevy dealer in the 80's. He was working two lifts and had a Vette in for an oil pan gasket. He completed the job, lowered the car, took a phone call, spoke to the shop mgr and forgot to add oil to the engine. He took it out of the shop, and for a test drive, he had no oil in the sump. He was about half a mile from the shop when he realized it. He drove it back and filled it, yes, and he called it a day.

I worked for Honda, Nissan, VW, Kia, and Suzuki I was friendly with the guys in the shop, if you knew half the things that went on, your head would spin!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #66
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrguy View Post
I use better oil. I get to choose what fluids/consumables go into my vehicle.

I do a better job. (it's my vehicle and I care about it, it's not just an invoice or job #)

My incentive is for the Jeep to last longer, not a commission or turnaround time or some other job performance metric a tech is going to have.

I'm going to proactively look for other issues while I am doing the job, and not wait for the problems to arise (like most dealers do.)

Any tools I buy for the job I am going to keep, which is an investment.

I have a fleet of cars and bikes and it's more cost effective for me to do it myself.

It's a stress reliever and I enjoy wrenching on my vehicles.

I agree, the less the dealer or any mechanic has their hands on my vehicles the better. I even fix warranty items if they're cheap enough, its not worth the hassle or aggrivation bring it in for repairs. But sometimes you have to bite the bullet. I have two local shops I trust for those times.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #67
Jeeper
 
bigegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 97
I don't know if it makes any difference changing the oil that early, and I obviously don't have much oil expertise, but the original oil that came out was extremely dark and there were metal flecks in the old filter. So I'm glad I changed it even though I made a huge mess and about gave myself a heart attack.
__________________
Current
-12 JK Unlimited Sport S, Black, Manual, ACE Rock Rails
Retired
-97 TJ SE, Lapis Blue (Jun 1998 - Jan 2002)
-97 TJ Sport, Emerald Green (Nov 2001 - Sept 2011)
bigegriff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegriff View Post
I don't know if it makes any difference changing the oil that early, and I obviously don't have much oil expertise, but the original oil that came out was extremely dark and there were metal flecks in the old filter. So I'm glad I changed it even though I made a huge mess and about gave myself a heart attack.
Changing the oil early was a smart move IMO. Especially when the engine block has no freeze-out plugs making cleaning it up after mfg of the block a bit more difficult. There's a lot more smaller particles floating in the oil that the filter doesn't trap that can cause excess wear. A used oil analysis will prove that. These topics of early draining of the FF early can become heated discussions. For $20-$30 its cheap insurance for me, especially on a vehicle that can cost $40,000 or more.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #69
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint

True. I have a good buddy who worked for a Chevy dealer in the 80's. He was working two lifts and had a Vette in for an oil pan gasket. He completed the job, lowered the car, took a phone call, spoke to the shop mgr and forgot to add oil to the engine. He took it out of the shop, and for a test drive, he had no oil in the sump. He was about half a mile from the shop when he realized it. He drove it back and filled it, yes, and he called it a day.

I worked for Honda, Nissan, VW, Kia, and Suzuki I was friendly with the guys in the shop, if you knew half the things that went on, your head would spin!
Exactly. I had a buddy who worked for no other than JEEP. And told me horror stories including what happened to my last jeep when it was there.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #70
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95

Exactly. I had a buddy who worked for no other than JEEP. And told me horror stories including what happened to my last jeep when it was there.
Exactly why I do all my own work.
Yipes.
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #71
Jeeper
 
TheDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: At the moment Sohar, Oman
Posts: 198
its just you being paranoid when you think every sound is worse than before. Like somebody said you can run an air-cooled engine for a good minute Flat to the floor before it starts to make a sound without oil. You had water keeping it cool and a good film on all surfaces and basically idled out of your garage. Take it out and enjoy it. Or put a OEM filter on and if it goes pop your covered.
TheDoc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #72
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaufman_95 View Post
Exactly. I had a buddy who worked for no other than JEEP. And told me horror stories including what happened to my last jeep when it was there.
We had a new lot boy take a used car that was in the shop being prepped for delivery to the used car dept for customer pick up. He cut a corner too tight and banged up the passenger side door. The used car mgr had him park it close to a fence and schedule delivery for night time when it was dark. The mgr delivered the car for the salesman, making sure the customer didn't look at the passenger side of the car, the fence and hedges took care of that. The next morning the customer called asking for a body shop recommendation, he thought someone hit him in a parking lot where he stopped on the way home. These things happen a lot unfortunately, and blame is very easily shifted. I could probably write a book about some of the things that went down, some funny, some not so funny. My experience has taught me to stay as far from dealers as possible after I take title of a new vehicle.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Thanks to the OP, your post encouraged me to perform my first oil change ever at the age of 34. After buying myself a pan to catch the oil and a new funnel, oil, and filter, it came in right around what I have been paying the local place for many years. It literally took me 15 minutes, most of which was waiting for the engine to drain, and I barely got my hands dirty. Wow, that was really easy, especially as it is so easy to crawl under a Jeep. Next time all I need to buy is the oil and filter. I am thinking if I scoop up some synthetic on sale at the warehouse club, I can change my oil next time for the price of the cheap "house brand" stuff they pour in at Jiffy Lube. I have already started eyeballing the location of my wife's oil filter in her mini van and have plans for that next.

Even if I only broke even, there was a fine sense of satisfaction in doing it myself. Every time I crawl under my Jeep I learn a little bit more and get more confidence to wrench on something new. Now I feel compelled to change the diff fluid.

Take pride in the fact that your struggle encouraged others - Thanks!
gluestick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
^^Good on you gluestick!^^

Watch stores like Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone. They run oil change specials featuring synthetic oil and a filter for a good price. Typically 5 qts of Mobil 1 Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil synthetic and a good filter. I prefer Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One filters over the Fram filters, but that's JMO. Start your own stash, and know the job was done right!
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
^^Good on you gluestick!^^

Watch stores like Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone. They run oil change specials featuring synthetic oil and a filter for a good price. Typically 5 qts of Mobil 1 Castrol, Valvoline, or Pennzoil synthetic and a good filter. I prefer Mobil 1 or Purolator Pure One filters over the Fram filters, but that's JMO. Start your own stash, and know the job was done right!
The only pisser is the 6 qt thing. I got a 5 quart jug for $23 bucks (came with a $7 mail in rebate so really only $16 bucks) and had to buy an extra quart for around $7. That buying one quart at a time deal is a rip off. I guess the value comes in when you scoop up a case of those 5 quart jugs at a time. You know you're gonna use 'em sometime...

Is there any harm in mixing oil brands, if say you have a few different brand quart bottles hanging around with just about a pint or so left in them? Can you safely do an "oil cocktail" (SAE remaining constant)? Any downside in a syn/regular mix?

I have always been a believer in going 4-5k between oil changes, in all honesty mostly out of my aversion to sitting in the jiffylube waiting room. I think I will be tightening up that schedule with my Wrangler. Now I just need to find that tire rotation thread...
gluestick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #76
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 767
You can usually get mobil 1 for about 2/3 the price of autozone at walmart. cost me lie 44 bucks last time from wally for everything, vs autozone was close to 60.
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #77
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo
You can usually get mobil 1 for about 2/3 the price of autozone at walmart. cost me lie 44 bucks last time from wally for everything, vs autozone was close to 60.
5 quarts for me at walmart is $27 plus 6 so for the extra quart. Autozone was about 60 and yeah I get points. But it's not worth that.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #78
I <3 My Jeep

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGirlTX87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Betwen College Station/Cypress.
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegriff View Post
Hey everyone. I've been enjoying, no, loving my new 2012 JKU and got to the 500 mile mark this past weekend. I had planned on changing the oil then, but just got around to it today. I was pretty excited about it, being my first attempt at changing my own oil; I've done other stuff, just not oil. I printed out the steps at work today from a post by both ndrugby and Mykl and went to it tonight.
Maybe I'm just in a "hater" mood, but yeah, I actually read through the 3 pages or so and no one really mentions it..but yeah, I can't see why someone who dropped 40K on a wrangler..

Would do their own oil change...maybe it was just to feel all "manly-man" but I don't know. You figure buying a brand new vehicle you'd want everything, service records/oil changes recorded with receipts, and probably done at the dealer, etc.

I'm not gonna lie..the minute I seen, "I printed out the steps at work today.." I was like

I just found it a bit amusing, most guys learn changing oil on like (insert vehicle that's like 10-15 years old), but you're learning on an 2012, what a life

There's a saying that I've heard more than a few times, "Just pay the $2 dollars." I believe it came from back in early NY, people would get tickets and they could of either spent an entire day in court or whatever disputing and still not getting much done - or making life simple and pay the $2.

OK. Done with my rant. And I know this all sounds negative as hell, but in your post I just kept thinking....why???!!!! lol
JeepGirlTX87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #79
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirlTX87 View Post
Maybe I'm just in a "hater" mood, but yeah, I actually read through the 3 pages or so and no one really mentions it..but yeah, I can't see why someone who dropped 40K on a wrangler..

Would do their own oil change...maybe it was just to feel all "manly-man" but I don't know. You figure buying a brand new vehicle you'd want everything, service records/oil changes recorded with receipts, and probably done at the dealer, etc.

I'm not gonna lie..the minute I seen, "I printed out the steps at work today.." I was like

I just found it a bit amusing, most guys learn changing oil on like (insert vehicle that's like 10-15 years old), but you're learning on an 2012, what a life

There's a saying that I've heard more than a few times, "Just pay the $2 dollars." I believe it came from back in early NY, people would get tickets and they could of either spent an entire day in court or whatever disputing and still not getting much done - or making life simple and pay the $2.

OK. Done with my rant. And I know this all sounds negative as hell, but in your post I just kept thinking....why???!!!! lol

The adage goes: "If you want something done right, do it yourself"

This applies here more than anywhere else.

I change my own oil, it gives me something to do on my day off,
lets me check the jeep and make sure all is well under the hood,
I can use full synthetic oil and a good filter for the same cost, or less, than some guy who probably can't spell oil could put the wrong weight of crap oil and a cardboard filter on it,
I know the correct amount of oil is going in and coming out of my Jeep.

That is why I change my own oil on my brand new expensive INVESTMENT.
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 12:18 AM   #80
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Piper54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Heh Heh--






This is better than "Mad Magazine"

I do my own also and KNOW what the oil/filter is and I can tear my self away from Reno news for at least 15 minutes-and I can grease my ZIRKS in that time period !

JIMBO
Just don't mix up your zerk fittings with your brake bleeders.

As for changing your own oil 'bigegriff', the dealers would like you to believe they have to do it or it hasn't been done, but you may do it yourself. Just remember to put a light coat of oil on the gasket of that "round can thingy" before threading it on, being careful not to cross thread, and then just snug it a bit with the oil filter wrench after hand tightening. Do not overtighten. Unless the oil filter leaks after starting, it is plenty tight. It is also 'best practice' to fill your oil filter BEFORE you screw it on. Just remember that's part of your 5.5 qt, or whatever the recommendation is for your specific engine WITH an oil filter change. This, and more, should have been in those instructions you downloaded.
__________________
2012 Arctic JK
Piper54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 12:27 AM   #81
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Piper54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegriff View Post
Forgot to tighten the filter. As I was doing this for the first time, I wasn't sure if the filter needed to be loose to help the new oil drain into the engine. While in theory you do need a vent to allow new fluid to go in (somewhere for the air to escape when the new oil comes in) the oil filter probably didn't need to be loose for that to happen.

I had planned on installing the new filter after the new oil, but my steps got out of whack and I forgot to tighten it down, thus huge mess and me up most of the night freaking out.
Your crankcase is vented, so no worry about oil not being able to flow in.
__________________
2012 Arctic JK
Piper54 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 04:53 AM   #82
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
The only pisser is the 6 qt thing. I got a 5 quart jug for $23 bucks (came with a $7 mail in rebate so really only $16 bucks) and had to buy an extra quart for around $7. That buying one quart at a time deal is a rip off. I guess the value comes in when you scoop up a case of those 5 quart jugs at a time. You know you're gonna use 'em sometime...

Is there any harm in mixing oil brands, if say you have a few different brand quart bottles hanging around with just about a pint or so left in them? Can you safely do an "oil cocktail" (SAE remaining constant)? Any downside in a syn/regular mix?

I have always been a believer in going 4-5k between oil changes, in all honesty mostly out of my aversion to sitting in the jiffylube waiting room. I think I will be tightening up that schedule with my Wrangler. Now I just need to find that tire rotation thread...
There's no harm in mixing different brands, although I prefer not too. If you do mix use the same grade oil, and "SAE remaining" constant if possible. Watch the sales, AAP and Auto Zone oil change specials are pretty good, even if they're only for 5 qts and a filter. Typically 5 qts. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum and a Mobil 1 or Pure One filter will cost about $30.00 to $35.00. I usually have at least one year to a year and a half worth of oil on hand. I have a 6 qt vehicle also, part of life I guess. Not to repeat myself, watch for sales! You can also score filters from time to time on Amazon.com. Team that up with some good Walmart pricing and rebates and you'll be fine. I just don't care for the oil filters Walmart carries, but that's just me.

Your 4,000-5,000 mile interval is fine especially if you use one of the Synthetic oils mentioned. While under warranty follow the OM guidelines for severe service and you'll never have a problem.
demarpaint is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #83
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
Even if I only broke even, there was a fine sense of satisfaction in doing it myself. Every time I crawl under my Jeep I learn a little bit more and get more confidence to wrench on something new.!
It's definitely worth even a few dollars more knowing everything is done right. While the oil is draining, take the time to check your brake fluid, coolant, and top off the washer fluid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
Now I feel compelled to change the diff fluid.
It's even easier than an oil change. You simply drain and fill without changing a filter. Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #84
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Heh Heh, not if you have a FUMOTO valve !


Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
It's even easier than an oil change. You simply drain and fill without changing a filter. Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Maintenance Differential Fluid Change Write-Up
JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
YAHAHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegriff View Post
Why do you guys, if you do, change your own oil?
My grandfather was a mechanic with his own shop. He grew up in the depression.

He taught my dad the valuable lesson of being able to do things for yourself.

My dad taught me never to pay somebody to do something you're capable of doing yourself.

I'm teaching my son the same. He's only 3 but every time he sees me wrenching on the Jeep or the Mustang, he runs over, grabs a screwdriver or wrench and "helps" me.

Good kid!
__________________
It's not just a Jeep, it's an amusement park on wheels!
YAHAHA is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 12:57 PM   #86
Jeeper
 
bigegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluestick View Post
Thanks to the OP, your post encouraged me to perform my first oil change ever at the age of 34.

.......

Take pride in the fact that your struggle encouraged others - Thanks!
Glad I could be of some encouragement gluestick. I'm not too far behind you at 32. Like i said in the OP, I've done some wrenching on my Jeeps, just never done an oil change. I figured this might be a good time to learn and take care of my new baby myself.
__________________
Current
-12 JK Unlimited Sport S, Black, Manual, ACE Rock Rails
Retired
-97 TJ SE, Lapis Blue (Jun 1998 - Jan 2002)
-97 TJ Sport, Emerald Green (Nov 2001 - Sept 2011)
bigegriff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #87
Jeeper
 
bigegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper54 View Post
Just don't mix up your zerk fittings with your brake bleeders.

As for changing your own oil 'bigegriff', the dealers would like you to believe they have to do it or it hasn't been done, but you may do it yourself. Just remember to put a light coat of oil on the gasket of that "round can thingy" before threading it on, being careful not to cross thread, and then just snug it a bit with the oil filter wrench after hand tightening. Do not overtighten. Unless the oil filter leaks after starting, it is plenty tight. It is also 'best practice' to fill your oil filter BEFORE you screw it on. Just remember that's part of your 5.5 qt, or whatever the recommendation is for your specific engine WITH an oil filter change. This, and more, should have been in those instructions you downloaded.
Thanks Piper. A quick FYI, the new 3.6 L has a cartridge filter that uses a 24mm socket to unscrew the cap, so there isn't any canister to fill with oil. It sits right behind the alternator. Seems like it might be an easier system, as long as you remember to put it back in.
__________________
Current
-12 JK Unlimited Sport S, Black, Manual, ACE Rock Rails
Retired
-97 TJ SE, Lapis Blue (Jun 1998 - Jan 2002)
-97 TJ Sport, Emerald Green (Nov 2001 - Sept 2011)
bigegriff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #88
Jeeper
 
gluestick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirlTX87 View Post
Maybe I'm just in a "hater" mood, but yeah, I actually read through the 3 pages or so and no one really mentions it..but yeah, I can't see why someone who dropped 40K on a wrangler..

Would do their own oil change...maybe it was just to feel all "manly-man" but I don't know. You figure buying a brand new vehicle you'd want everything, service records/oil changes recorded with receipts, and probably done at the dealer, etc.

I'm not gonna lie..the minute I seen, "I printed out the steps at work today.." I was like

I just found it a bit amusing, most guys learn changing oil on like (insert vehicle that's like 10-15 years old), but you're learning on an 2012, what a life

There's a saying that I've heard more than a few times, "Just pay the $2 dollars." I believe it came from back in early NY, people would get tickets and they could of either spent an entire day in court or whatever disputing and still not getting much done - or making life simple and pay the $2.

OK. Done with my rant. And I know this all sounds negative as hell, but in your post I just kept thinking....why???!!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigegriff View Post
Glad I could be of some encouragement gluestick. I'm not too far behind you at 32. Like i said in the OP, I've done some wrenching on my Jeeps, just never done an oil change. I figured this might be a good time to learn and take care of my new baby myself.
I've been married long enough to not bother explaining why doing some things just make you feel like a "man". There's something about hand tools, sawdust, the smell of grease, chainsaws, and the like that is part of our genetic code. Not to mention, as others mentioned, why pay someone to do something you enjoy doing yourself. I don't fight it, I embrace it.

Prolly the same reason you won't find (most of us) getting our nails done while yapping away for hours about nothing at the beauty salon. To each their own. Ironically, I have been servicing my lawn tractor for years doing fluid and filter changes and the such without even thinking twice- the Jeep is easier to work on because you don't need ramps to drain out he oil!
gluestick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-25-2011, 01:02 AM   #89
I <3 My Jeep

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepGirlTX87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Betwen College Station/Cypress.
Posts: 189
I've just been p*ssed. I've been on a Wrangler hunt for the last month and it has been a battle field for me

You only live once, whether 25, 35, 45+ at least you tried and now you know how to do it.

And you're right, no one is going to put as much care in it as you would. I'm thinking how many times I've paid for X point oil changes and still had to go back and add fluids, etc - that should have been added at the shop.

I was such a debbie-downer, bro -- lol.

I've been having my own Wrangler situations and it may have came out here, maybe I was just hate'n (be'n jelly) on your '012

I'm sorry lol.
JeepGirlTX87 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #90
Jeeper
 
bigegriff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirlTX87 View Post
I've just been p*ssed. I've been on a Wrangler hunt for the last month and it has been a battle field for me

You only live once, whether 25, 35, 45+ at least you tried and now you know how to do it.

And you're right, no one is going to put as much care in it as you would. I'm thinking how many times I've paid for X point oil changes and still had to go back and add fluids, etc - that should have been added at the shop.

I was such a debbie-downer, bro -- lol.

I've been having my own Wrangler situations and it may have came out here, maybe I was just hate'n (be'n jelly) on your '012

I'm sorry lol.
No worries JeepGirl! Are you looking for a new '12? Whatever it is, I hope you find it and your situation resolves itself.

__________________
Current
-12 JK Unlimited Sport S, Black, Manual, ACE Rock Rails
Retired
-97 TJ SE, Lapis Blue (Jun 1998 - Jan 2002)
-97 TJ Sport, Emerald Green (Nov 2001 - Sept 2011)
bigegriff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pure Jeep 5" Stretch Kit.. AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 13 07-20-2014 03:13 PM
Thing's to know when Buying a Used Jeep Wrangler YJ Rian306 YJ Tech Forum 26 06-23-2014 09:55 PM
TN: 1995 Jeep YJ Crawler volsjp Classifieds Archive 8 06-28-2012 10:14 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 10:48 AM
2007 Hot Springs Jeep Jamboree USA review jeeptales On The Trail 0 11-16-2007 10:15 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC