2.5" AEV lift vs Teraflex 2.5" + Monster Trackbar - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,342
Images: 1
2.5" AEV lift vs Teraflex 2.5" + Monster Trackbar


__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 4,716
Teraflex. Need exhaust spacers for the teraflex but their monster trackbar is amazing and next on my list.

Farnham21 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,342
Images: 1
I've been pro AEV for months but now I'm leaning toward this teraflex setup. The 3" teraflex is also catching my eye purely because I have the AEV front/rear bumpers and mopar rock rails already.
__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 02:13 AM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
The only thing I would do different. Go with the kit without shocks and opt for some Rancho 9000's. Rancho has a $100 rebate currently and you can get 4 shocks for $250 or less.
Sell the adopters (shocks) for $50 or so.
I love the TF track bar because its so easy to install/adjust. Strong as hell to

AEV control arm brackets may or may not help at 2.5"
Drive it around and if you feel you need them, you can always add later.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
whiteyjfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: La Quinta CA
Posts: 585
If you are looking for ground clearance then stay away from the drop brackets. You will get hang up on those. If you feel the need to correct the drive line angles, save up some money and go for lower adjustable control arms.

Btw, my vote is for the Teraflex lift.
whiteyjfm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,342
Images: 1
Is AEV worth the extra for the difference in spring types? I'm weighed down with bumpers and will have a winch as well.
__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JKRU2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
I too have been looking hard at both of theses systems and there are pros and cons to both. I don't like the idea of giving up OEM control arms to get caster and pinion angle and do not want to be married to the Teraflex poly bushings. On the other hand I don't want to have to source, in the future, the "proprietary valved" shocks that come with AEV system, but the progressive spring may give a better ride. Either system requires changing the front or rear track bar.

For a small lift, I would prefer track bar towers, sway bar link brackets, progressive rate springs, stock shock length, and geometry correction brackets for the front control arms.

That way when you sell it, you just drop off the towers and brackets and install the OEM springs.

Nobody who wants a lifted jeep, wants someone else's lift and not everyone who wants a jeeps wants it lifted.
JKRU2013 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRU2013 View Post
I too have been looking hard at both of theses systems and there are pros and cons to both. I don't like the idea of giving up OEM control arms to get caster and pinion angle and do not want to be married to the Teraflex poly bushings. On the other hand I don't want to have to source, in the future, the "proprietary valved" shocks that come with AEV system, but the progressive spring may give a better ride. Either system requires changing the front or rear track bar.

For a small lift, I would prefer track bar towers, sway bar link brackets, progressive rate springs, stock shock length, and geometry correction brackets for the front control arms.

That way when you sell it, you just drop off the towers and brackets and install the OEM springs.

Nobody who wants a lifted jeep, wants someone else's lift and not everyone who wants a jeeps wants it lifted.
What do you mean by this ? " do not want to be married to the Teraflex poly bushings"

The towers you talk about are not intended to perfectly center the axles. They are to correct roll centers The front can't be done (raised) without a flipped drag link. At 2.5" you wouldn't be doing this anyways.

I hate the idea of using OEM track bars in a lifted application. I would strongly advise at least replacing the front track bar for strength and axle center.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
JKRU2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 21
These things -

| TeraFlex Suspensions

I would think a track bar tower does a fairly good job centering the axles else why offer it on the rear?

I sure would like to keep all the stock components (on my Jeep, not in a box) without resorting to some sort of spacer rig up.
JKRU2013 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRU2013 View Post
These things -

| TeraFlex Suspensions

I would think a track bar tower does a fairly good job centering the axles else why offer it on the rear?

I sure would like to keep all the stock components (on my Jeep, not in a box) without resorting to some sort of spacer rig up.
The flex joints, gotcha. It actually takes less time to swap the LCA's then the drop brackets. But I like what they do and do recommend to anybody.

The rear bracket does center the axle somewhat depending on actual lift height and who's kit you go with (difference the hole is from stock)
For the most part it's for geometry purposes. Roll center is important and the raised bracket helps handling a lot.

You want the rear slightly higher than the front That's why a front is not as critical for lower lifts.
Anything upwards of 4" a drag link flip with track bar axle bracket also raises the front roll center.

I sort of agree with what you're doing, but If I built with the intention on selling my jeep. I would either a) not lift at all b) budget boost/spacer lift.
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
If you are looking for ground clearance then stay away from the drop brackets. You will get hang up on those. If you feel the need to correct the drive line angles, save up some money and go for lower adjustable control arms.

Btw, my vote is for the Teraflex lift.
I gotta say this statement always cracks me up. The drop brackets hang maybe 1.5 inches below the frame. Most all the adjustable lower control arms have a built in angle to help in the drop that they can not provide without it. Aren't you worried about hitting the adjustable lower control arms where the bend down? My bets are that the brackets are less vulnerable to impact than either the stock LCA's or aftermarket adjustable LCA's.
Not saying that it can't happen, cuz we all know any thing can and probably will happen if you use it often enough or hard enough.

Just saying that this argument would be the last or least of my concerns in making the decision on which lift to buy.

I have 2 JKU's. One has the TF 2.5 BB, TF monster adj front track bar and AEV drop brackets.
The other has AEV 2.5 lift.
Both are great setups and drive great.
I was not happy with the TF 2.5 BB until I put the Monster track bar and AEV drop brackets on it. I did track bar and drop brackets at the same time so I can't say which one made the difference or if it was the combo...but it's change to the on road manners were beyond my best expectations. Drives as good or better then a stock JKU.
The AEV lift is great too and I am very happy with it. I personally would not do this lift without the drop brackets. It does leave you with a 2.5" lift that is basically using all stock geometry with all the stock components. Is that a plus or minus? I don't know, opinions on that will certainly vary.

Just my opinion but I think you already have the correct thought process and either one of these lifts are going to make you happy.

Most likely I will try the 3" TF lift my next go around. And there is a good chance my AEV lifted JKU will end up with the TF monster track bar.

Both companies make great products along with many more companies you will find recommended here by others.

TF has "how to" videos on nearly every product they sell. That alone makes them at the top of my list. That and every product I have bought and used from them has been solid quality.

JMO
guppy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 936
You are not comparing apples to apples. Why would you use the AEV drop brackets on the AEV 2.5" lift and not use it on the Teraflex 2.5" lift? These brackets are in no way lift brand specific. They perform the exact same function on any brand of lift. Why price in a front track bar on the Teraflex and not the AEV?
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 936
I try my best to stay with the factory stock track bars. It's really hard to beat their strength since they are a solid forged steel unit and the bushings last nearly forever. Most 2.5" lifts don't need changes in track bar lengths when using the rear axle tower unless they are significantly more than the advertised 2.5".
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,122
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post
I try my best to stay with the factory stock track bars. It's really hard to beat their strength since they are a solid forged steel unit and the bushings last nearly forever. Most 2.5" lifts don't need changes in track bar lengths when using the rear axle tower unless they are significantly more than the advertised 2.5".
Don't count on that front factory trackbar. Mine was OK for a long while but not anymore. the front trackbar flexes at the bow when you turn the wheels. If you are gonna run 35s I suggest running the TF Monster front Trackbar. The rear trackbar has been fine with the relocation Bracket.
AEV drop brackets are not required for the TF 2.5" lift. We have 2 Jeeps with the TF lifts and and number of others in the club that run it and there are no steering issues if the front end is properly aligned.
That being said, my unlimited is on 3.5" springs in the front so I may try the drop brackets just to see for myself.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Don't count on that front factory trackbar. Mine was OK for a long while but not anymore. the front trackbar flexes at the bow when you turn the wheels. If you are gonna run 35s I suggest running the TF Monster front Trackbar. The rear trackbar has been fine with the relocation Bracket.
AEV drop brackets are not required for the TF 2.5" lift. We have 2 Jeeps with the TF lifts and and number of others in the club that run it and there are no steering issues if the front end is properly aligned.
The AEV drop brackets are not required with ANY lift, they just improve the handling of ANY lift.
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
Check out this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/Xrlhfooc-Xc
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,122
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverton34 View Post

The AEV drop brackets are not required with ANY lift, they just improve the handling of ANY lift.
I'll let you know in a few weeks.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
dkeown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: southeast michigan
Posts: 16
I installed the AEV dualsport 2.5 with the geometry correction brackets yesterday on my 2012 JKU. The handling is improved over stock with less body roll and front end dive at braking. I am still rolling on stock 17" wheels and tires which I will change out sometime in the future. So far I think this lift works great for what I was looking for.
dkeown is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
KurtVW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: California
Posts: 437
I drove the AEV 2.5" Kit without the brackets for a few weeks, and installed them later (had to do with time available more than any desire to do a test)... Here is what I learned.

The 2.5 AEV kit was really good right out of the box.. HOWEVER I did notice immediately that it was a little twitchy in steering, and it did have a pretty noticeable bump steer.

After the Brackets were installed it was better than OEM suspension. It'd be foolish to spend the money on the AEV kit and then skip the brackets. They cost you about 1 inch of clearance at the LCA attach point, which is close enough to the front axle that its safe to say anyone with a 2.5" lift is probably not doing anything so extreme that it matters...

Sure, its an inch lost.. But really if you're driving that hard off road why are you on a minimal street friendly lift anyhow? I am a trail driver, and I occasionally stick it to my jeep in harder ways, but I'm not a crawler or doing anything outrageous - The kit works great. And on Monday - its a great street rig too.

So I guess what I'm driving at here is that a lot of people go on and on about tiny measurements here and there, and yeah, you can hit that rock. But, honestly, if you can hit the rock that is one inch taller, you can also hit the one that is two inches taller... And you'd be in the same situation either way. The brackets are great geometry - so if you're 80% street and 20% off road (like most), its the correct solution.
KurtVW is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Upland CA, Havasu AZ
Posts: 414
Images: 4
I too, went with the AEV 2/5 kit on our '13 JKUR and love the springs and shocks....The drive was "twitchier" than stock so I was looking hard at the Geo Corr brackets but went with the (much more expensive) Rock Krawler LCA's. I am glad I did - I would have bent the brackets already - and am thinking about the rear LCA's too...
LHC30 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
AverageJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 1,342
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC30 View Post
I too, went with the AEV 2/5 kit on our '13 JKUR and love the springs and shocks....The drive was "twitchier" than stock so I was looking hard at the Geo Corr brackets but went with the (much more expensive) Rock Krawler LCA's. I am glad I did - I would have bent the brackets already - and am thinking about the rear LCA's too...
That's why I opted out of getting an AEV lift.
__________________
2013 Moab
"Insert mod list here."
My Average JK Build Thread
My Jeep Profile
AverageJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Eastern Iowa
Posts: 936
How do you bend the brackets? I've scraped the paint off them and the rest of the suspension wheeling in Moab but with the thickness of the brackets I'm not sure how to bend them.
Silverton34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,122
Images: 3
How many degrees Caster is reclaimed with the AEV drop brackets?
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 142
Teraflex 1000X >>>>>>>>>AEV
jcrawler93 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #25
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
How many degrees Caster is reclaimed with the AEV drop brackets?
I've heard 4.5-5*
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,122
Images: 3
Thats interesting.. I just had a look at the drop brackets on their site. They also change the location of the upper control arms as well as the lowers. I was unaware of that.. For $99, might be worth a try and see how much difference they really make.
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 02:43 PM   #27
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto JK View Post
Thats interesting.. I just had a look at the drop brackets on their site. They also change the location of the upper control arms as well as the lowers. I was unaware of that.. For $99, might be worth a try and see how much difference they really make.
Do it
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #28
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 12
I am researching these kits as well. Not sure if this adds any useful info but here is the parts list for both hase kits from quadratec:

TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks
$730.99
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Front and Rear Shocks
Rear Brake Line Brackets
Rear Sway Bar Links
Rear Track Bar Bracket


AEV 2.5" DualSport XT
$959.99
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Bilstein Shocks
Front and Rear Brake Line Brackets
Custom Rear Track Bar
Rear Axle Side Track Bar Bracket
Front Sway Bar Link Brackets

So not getting into quality of specific parts (which is probably pretty important), for the extra $230 the AEV kit has additional front brake brackets and custom rear track bar.

But Teraflex does get additional points for all of their vidoes .
ZigZagJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 79
I'm one of the many that installed the 2.5" AEV w/ Geo Brackets and have loved the results. The main aspect I was looking for was a lift that would be comfortable to drive, so I opted for the progressive springs, seem to make the most sense to me when looking at the various spring options. I also wanted to increase the clearance and be able to run 35's, last trip to Moab convinced me it was time for change. My jeep is my DD so ride quality was important to me. Good Luck with the decision.
Never2Old is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,122
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagJKU View Post
I am researching these kits as well. Not sure if this adds any useful info but here is the parts list for both hase kits from quadratec:

TeraFlex 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks
$730.99
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Front and Rear Shocks
Rear Brake Line Brackets
Rear Sway Bar Links
Rear Track Bar Bracket

AEV 2.5" DualSport XT
$959.99
Front and Rear Coil Springs
Front and Rear Bump Stops
Bilstein Shocks
Front and Rear Brake Line Brackets
Custom Rear Track Bar
Rear Axle Side Track Bar Bracket
Front Sway Bar Link Brackets

So not getting into quality of specific parts (which is probably pretty important), for the extra $230 the AEV kit has additional front brake brackets and custom rear track bar.

But Teraflex does get additional points for all of their vidoes .
Front brakeline brackets not required. Don't need the custom rear trackbar just the relocation bracket. If anything a monster trackbar for the front would be beneficial for both kits. The factory front trackbar does flex under the stress of 35s.
So for the $230 you save with the TF kit you could buy the TF Monster Trackbar.

__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB, PitBull Rockers 35x12.50x17 on BlackRock Vipers, AEV Premium Bumper,
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC