2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara; Help Please! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara; Help Please!

I'm considering buying a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It comes with a tow package, a 2" lift and 35 mud terrains. I'm wondering if I would need to re-gear this vehicle to accomodate the lift and tires or if it is okay staying at the stock 3.73 gears? I will be driving it mostly around town. I live in an area with lots of hills, mountains etc. and I go off-roading maybe once a week during the summer but nothing too rough.

Please help!

jessicac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,288
I run 35" KM2s with 3.73s on an auto trans. IMO it's perfectly fine. But I also don't expect my Jeep to be the fastest thing on 4 wheels. A lot of people will say that 3.73s and 35s don't mix and that you need 5:13s. It mostly depends on the terrain you drive on and the weight of your tires/wheels.

Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicac View Post
I'm considering buying a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. It comes with a tow package, a 2" lift and 35 mud terrains. I'm wondering if I would need to re-gear this vehicle to accomodate the lift and tires or if it is okay staying at the stock 3.73 gears? I will be driving it mostly around town. I live in an area with lots of hills, mountains etc. and I go off-roading maybe once a week during the summer but nothing too rough.

Please help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
I run 35" KM2s with 3.73s on an auto trans. IMO it's perfectly fine. But I also don't expect my Jeep to be the fastest thing on 4 wheels. A lot of people will say that 3.73s and 35s don't mix and that you need 5:13s. It mostly depends on the terrain you drive on and the weight of your tires/wheels.
I'd wanna regear. That's me. However, if you're just gonna drive it around town, as you say, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. Your power loss would show up on hills (the mountains you mentioned), passing slower traffic on the highway, and driving into the wind at speed. In that case, you might hate the 3.73 gear ratio. Pretty subjective...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
MI JeepSkate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dexter, MI
Posts: 255
Just find one thats unmolested and do it yourself. id personally never buy anything lifted because 9 times out of 10 that vehicle saw some abuse and i also get to do it the way i want to. if you absolutely have your heart set on that exact jeep, id find out the mileage on the lift and tires because 35's on 3.73's is borderline pushin it. id see what else is out there to be honest. best of luck
MI JeepSkate is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI JeepSkate View Post
Just find one thats unmolested and do it yourself. id personally never buy anything lifted because 9 times out of 10 that vehicle saw some abuse and i also get to do it the way i want to. if you absolutely have your heart set on that exact jeep, id find out the mileage on the lift and tires because 35's on 3.73's is borderline pushin it. id see what else is out there to be honest. best of luck
^^ This too.

Used Jeep = USED Jeep
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Raiderfan001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Knob Noster, MO
Posts: 7,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbwwolf View Post
^^ This too.

Used Jeep = USED Jeep
Not always. I got mine used and I don't think the original owner even put it in 4wd let alone ever left pavement. It was bone stock but even lifted Jeeps sometimes never leave pavement. A lot of people just like the look.
Raiderfan001 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderfan001 View Post
Not always. I got mine used and I don't think the original owner even put it in 4wd let alone ever left pavement. It was bone stock but even lifted Jeeps sometimes never leave pavement. A lot of people just like the look.
You're a rare case. I wouldn't give that advice to the masses. Normally, a used Jeep is rode hard and put away wet, as we say in TX.

However, I think that way about any vehicle. Could be wrong.

__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
gears , lift , sahara , wrangler

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC