2010/11 Wrangler Owners BEWARE-missing skid plate(s) - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
Just wanted to add an update- I called Chrysler about my missing skid plate. Long story short - I have to take it to a Jeep dealership and have someone look and verify that it is missing, also there "might be a charge" for this service.
NICE!
Then they may help me get a skid plate.
I havent figured out what the **** I am going to do next. Who do I call? Do I just show up? Who do I talk to once I am there? The salesman? The Service advisor? The girl at the front desk? Should I refuse to pay for them to simply look underneath? What do I do if they stonewall me and tell me "sorry bout yer luck"? Should I just take one from a vehicle off the lot? Should I follow one of the employees home and take theirs and let them deal with a missing skid plate? Should I just go get hammered like the Chrysler employees in that news story and forget about all my worries?
As you can see my ideas get worse the more I think about it. Wish I had honest, helpful people at my dealership. I also wish the dealsership wasnt 30 minutes fighting traffic away. Might help this feeling of wanting to gouge my eyes out every time I think about going to the dealership.

__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #62
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep View Post
I forwarded this thread to my Chrysler rep. Asked him to read it and let me know what happened.

I don't chime in all of the time because getting the right answer sometimes takes too long. We had a bunch of Ram 2500s come in missing skid plates and we ordered them and put them on here. If the skid plates are on your build sheet then go to your dealer, have it confirmed and ordered. Chrysler warranty will pay the dealership to install it.


I have found that most people will call Chrysler direct and ask, open a case and get mostly the right info pretty quick, thus answering most of these type of questions.

Like I said, you don't need to call Chrysler to get your skid plate, go to your dealer with the build sheet, confirm it's missing and have it ordered.

If I get an answer I will post it. and J33pz if you have a question or concern and your dealer isn't helping you just ask and I will try to get you the right info or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks Pat@FieldsJeep. Good info, and thanks for the offer.

__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pZ View Post
Just wanted to add an update- I called Chrysler about my missing skid plate. Long story short - I have to take it to a Jeep dealership and have someone look and verify that it is missing, also there "might be a charge" for this service.
NICE!
Then they may help me get a skid plate.
I havent figured out what the **** I am going to do next. Who do I call? Do I just show up? Who do I talk to once I am there? The salesman? The Service advisor? The girl at the front desk? Should I refuse to pay for them to simply look underneath? What do I do if they stonewall me and tell me "sorry bout yer luck"? Should I just take one from a vehicle off the lot? Should I follow one of the employees home and take theirs and let them deal with a missing skid plate? Should I just go get hammered like the Chrysler employees in that news story and forget about all my worries?
As you can see my ideas get worse the more I think about it. Wish I had honest, helpful people at my dealership. I also wish the dealsership wasnt 30 minutes fighting traffic away. Might help this feeling of wanting to gouge my eyes out every time I think about going to the dealership.
I'd say take it in. There's no other way to get an answer. If your 100% sure its missing there should be no charge. If the dealership does charge you remind them you will never be back for anything.
MMJ89586 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 314
Images: 1
I just called the dude that sold me the jeep, he connected me with the service department

here what he said

transfer case, fuel tank, skid plates check
if I had a an automatic transmission,
I would have a third skid plate for for the automatic transmission oil pan,
as my jeep is standard I only have two skid plates, confirmed by looking under my jeep today,
I have two skid plates.
I am not missing one
but if I had a automatic jeep, I should have three skid plates.

and my mind it at ease again, my jeep is perfect, and I love it...

hope that helps you all.

2 skids for standard
3 skids for automatic.

simple really and I am a super newb
__________________
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
Turbaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 154
I assume this skid plate is only for the automatic transmission???

As stated on the Jeep website "an automatic transmission skid plate that protects the transmission oil pan, a transfer case skid plate and a fuel tank skid plate to enhance the performance of the fuel tank brush guard."
__________________
Put your seatbelt on, I wanna try something....

Even if the voices are not real, they have pretty good ideas!
Turbaru is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 314
Images: 1
ya exactly
as its a standard I have only two,
if it was an automatic then I should have three.
I am thinking that is what is trowing people off.
__________________
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
Turbaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 View Post
ya exactly
as its a standard I have only two,
if it was an automatic then I should have three.
I am thinking that is what is trowing people off.

I was thinking the same thing.
__________________
Put your seatbelt on, I wanna try something....

Even if the voices are not real, they have pretty good ideas!
Turbaru is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:34 PM   #68
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
I think what is throwing people off is the fact that they have an automatic transmission and they might be missing the skid plate that was on the build sheet / window sticker!!
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #69
Jeeper
 
Turbaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pZ View Post
I think what is throwing people off is the fact that they have an automatic transmission and they might be missing the skid plate that was on the build sheet / window sticker!!
For those that have an auto, I think you are right...
__________________
Put your seatbelt on, I wanna try something....

Even if the voices are not real, they have pretty good ideas!
Turbaru is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #70
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,553
Yep, I have a 2010 manual transmission 4 door and I just looked under my Jeep.

I have the long narrow skid on the passenger side (the fuel tank) I also have the angled transfer case skid next to it. What I DO NOT have is the heart-shaped auto transmission skid with the 8 bolts toward the front of the Jeep, which, as I understand it, is solely for the auto transmissions.

Notably, my build sheet shows only the transfer case skid, while my window sticker shows both a transfer case skid and a fuel skid. Either way, it looks like I have what I'm supposed to have.
MTH is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
i guess since I dont have a manual transmission I dont have to suffer my transmission popping out of gear. To even the odds Chrysler decided to gyp people with auto transmissions out of auto trans skid plates. Makes sense!
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #72
Jeeper
 
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 314
Images: 1
ya if you have a automatic then you should for sure have three skid plates,
if you don't get on the dealer, its very clear to me that you should have three
it's even in this jeep brochure I picked up at the dealership on friday when I went to get my jeep

three skids

if standard then only two.

if you have automatic and don't have three, you are missing something.
__________________
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
hhmmm.....Just picked up my '11 JKU Sport auto last week. Will try to run outside and have a look in a few and post back up my findings.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #74
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Welp, looks like I will be headed back to my dealer before long. Mine looks exactly like this example posted earlier in this thread. eg. no auto skid plate. Thanks for the heads up!
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
Ok, here are my thoughts and photos from the 2011 Cleveland, Ohio Auto Show today - 03/02/2011

It seems that all the 2011's are now coming with the auto transmission "skid bar" not skid plate. This is from my observations from units on dealer's lots, and at the auto show today.

There is no transmission skid plate or "skid bar" on the manual transmission units, just the auto transmission.

See these photos from the Cleveland Auto Show today below. These are from a 2011 Sahara Unlimited with auto trans:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2382.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	39875   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2380.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	39876  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2381.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	39877  
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #76
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
And these are from a 2011 Call of Duty Rubicon, with auto transmission, with Mopar lift and accessories at the Cleveland Auto show today:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2385.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	39880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2383.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	39881  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2384.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	39882  
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #77
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
And these are photos from a 2-door Sport (with options) with manual transmission at the Cleveland Auto Show today:

Notice, there is no skid plate or "skid bar" on the blue manual transmission unit, but there is a "skid bar" on the auto transmission units.

Seems like this is a change for 2011, and both the website, and the 2011 Wrangler catalog have not kept up with the change. The 2010 models that I saw months ago, DID have an actual skid plate (not skid bar) on the auto transmission models.

Mabar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2388.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	39883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2386.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	39884  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2387.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	39885  
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:29 PM   #78
Jeeper
 
snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat@FieldsJeep View Post
I forwarded this thread to my Chrysler rep. Asked him to read it and let me know what happened.

I don't chime in all of the time because getting the right answer sometimes takes too long. We had a bunch of Ram 2500s come in missing skid plates and we ordered them and put them on here. If the skid plates are on your build sheet then go to your dealer, have it confirmed and ordered. Chrysler warranty will pay the dealership to install it.


I have found that most people will call Chrysler direct and ask, open a case and get mostly the right info pretty quick, thus answering most of these type of questions.

Like I said, you don't need to call Chrysler to get your skid plate, go to your dealer with the build sheet, confirm it's missing and have it ordered.

If I get an answer I will post it. and J33pz if you have a question or concern and your dealer isn't helping you just ask and I will try to get you the right info or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks Pat.
snax is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #79
Jeeper
 
snax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabar View Post
And these are from a 2011 Call of Duty Rubicon, with auto transmission, with Mopar lift and accessories at the Cleveland Auto show today:

Problem with this is that this "Skid Bar" does not appear that is is adequate to protect the front of the fluid pan for the tranny.
snax is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #80
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
huber15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: lindenhurst IL
Posts: 196
My 2010 rubi has all three.
__________________
LiveWire 93 YJ ac orange =mine
10 JK Rubi Rescue green = wife's
huber15 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM   #82
Jeeper
 
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 314
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by huber15 View Post
My 2010 rubi has all three.
is your rubicon standard or automatic
__________________
NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #83
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Washington, IL
Posts: 195
Saw this thread yesterday. Checked my 2010 Sahara auto today. I have the 3 skid plates. I ordered mine from the factory last April and took delivery in May.
__________________
Jeff

Semper Fi
Weed Hopper is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #84
Jeeper
 
huber15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: lindenhurst IL
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7
is your rubicon standard or automatic
Automatic with all 3 skids
__________________
LiveWire 93 YJ ac orange =mine
10 JK Rubi Rescue green = wife's
huber15 is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #85
Jeeper
 
Mabar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 318
To repeat: It seems that the 2010's had all 3 skid plates on auto transmission models.

All the 2011's I have seen have the "skid bar" on auto transmission models.

Mabar
__________________
The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
Mabar is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #86
Jeeper
 
j33pZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Florida
Posts: 349
Just to clarify: All of the descriptions and diagrams of the 2011s on the official Jeep website speak of an "Automatic Transmission Skid Plate".

All of the window stickers on 2011s I have seen show an "Automatic Transmission Skid Plate" on auto transmission models.
__________________
"Save the plates for the supper table, I got a Skid Bar"
j33pZ is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #87
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 764
Talking

Was at the dealer yesterday having them order me a free owners manual as all that comes is some stupid CD. Looked at several new 11 auto jeeps and all they have is the skid bar on the auto transmission, same as my 11. Looked at a 10 model and it has the skid plat on the auto transmission! I think the skid bar is it for the 11 model jeep wrangler cars. To ad the 10 type plate to a 11 model u will need that new cross plate which is about 8 inches wide, not the 2 inch wide sissey bar they have stuck on the 11 model wrangler sissey car! I think we are screwed, and it will be nice to here if they actually do change them for anybody. My wifes expedition has 3 times the skid plate of the 10 wrangler as I just looked under it to see if it even had one. 2 foot long from front to back and frame to frame wide. I guess if I want to rock crawl I will take her ford truck and leave my sissey wrangler car for her to drive to the beauty shop to get her nails done.
KSCRUDE is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #88
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 764
Robert Stephen was wright. The new wranglers are just a CAR!
KSCRUDE is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #89
Jeeper
 
mudpup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 122


Stop the whining and build your rig up for your needs. What is the sticker of an Expedition over a JK like 12-15 Grand

Just because you have the ability to buy & own a Jeep just proves with your thinking that YOU are probably the one getting the manicures

Make your new rig your own for God sakes! For the the 2010 owners that got jipped on the auto tranny skid I'm sure the dealers will make good on it.

For the 2011 auto just look around as you have many skid plate options.


I think your bud Robert Stephen would recommend a tough boy Suzuki for your skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Was at the dealer yesterday having them order me a free owners manual as all that comes is some stupid CD. Looked at several new 11 auto jeeps and all they have is the skid bar on the auto transmission, same as my 11. Looked at a 10 model and it has the skid plat on the auto transmission! I think the skid bar is it for the 11 model jeep wrangler cars. To ad the 10 type plate to a 11 model u will need that new cross plate which is about 8 inches wide, not the 2 inch wide sissey bar they have stuck on the 11 model wrangler sissey car! I think we are screwed, and it will be nice to here if they actually do change them for anybody. My wifes expedition has 3 times the skid plate of the 10 wrangler as I just looked under it to see if it even had one. 2 foot long from front to back and frame to frame wide. I guess if I want to rock crawl I will take her ford truck and leave my sissey wrangler car for her to drive to the beauty shop to get her nails done.
__________________
welcome mighty Pentastar 2014 JK Anvil 2dr 6sp.
AEV 3.5" lift, SJ Hydro 7000 ... GY MT/R Kevlar 305/70-17 = 34x12.50
AEV 17x8.5 Savegre wheels, Mopar rock rails

(gone 3.8 slug '11 mango 2dr 6sp.)
85 CJ7 350 V8
mudpup is offline   Quick Reply
Old 03-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #90
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LI, New York
Posts: 15
Sorry in advance but I am confused. I have a 2010 jku w/auto. I have what I believe is the "skid bar" Is that what I should have by Chrysler standards or should I the skid plate? Just trying to have a better understanding before I go to the dealer w/ this issue.

Pixmann is offline   Quick Reply
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ROKMEN, High Clearance Gas Tank Skid Plates dave@rokmen Classifieds Archive 7 08-14-2008 04:45 PM
skid plates slippy TJ Tech Forum 11 03-02-2008 12:44 AM
skid plates tough_jeep89 TJ Tech Forum 9 01-23-2008 03:14 PM
RockKrawler - What skid plates... Scout TJ General Discussion Forum 23 10-12-2007 12:01 AM
rock guards and skid plates foxinthemudd TJ General Discussion Forum 17 05-14-2007 10:08 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC