2010 with dual top option question - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-01-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
2010 with dual top option question

I just purchased a 2010 JK 2 door with dual top option.
The jeep had the soft top stowed away in the back. I removed the
hard top disconnected soft top from the brackets and put the soft top
away for the winter.
My question is, when I go to install the soft top for the very first time,
is there anything to expect? There were two boxes with side and
rear windows I believe (still unopened).
Will it be ready to go other then that?


Thanks in advance
Dave

gashead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
makotoshishio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gashead View Post
I just purchased a 2010 JK 2 door with dual top option.
The jeep had the soft top stowed away in the back. I removed the
hard top disconnected soft top from the brackets and put the soft top
away for the winter.
My question is, when I go to install the soft top for the very first time,
is there anything to expect? There were two boxes with side and
rear windows I believe (still unopened).
Will it be ready to go other then that?


Thanks in advance
Dave

I'm not answering your question here, is just that I had no idea that a soft top can be left installed without removing the hard top. i do understand that for this to work out the soft top will be down when the hard top is in place. But, how can I have both on my JK so that I can leave the hard top on with the soft top down inside, then, remove hard top and simply pull up the soft top whenever I want?

Could you please post a picture of your JK with the tops the way they came in installed?

makotoshishio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Geoff@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
makotoshishio: The soft top is shipped installed with the hardtop, but it's not a good idea to leave it that way. You can't run both tops at the same time - it will damage the soft top.

gashead: you have everything you need for your soft top. When the weather gets better and you're ready to swap the tops, you're all set. You will most likely also cuss, complain and get annoyed the first time you put that top on. It's one of those things that gets a lot easier the third or fourth time. But there are people here ready to help when the time comes.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by makotoshishio View Post
I'm not answering your question here, is just that I had no idea that a soft top can be left installed without removing the hard top. i do understand that for this to work out the soft top will be down when the hard top is in place. But, how can I have both on my JK so that I can leave the hard top on with the soft top down inside, then, remove hard top and simply pull up the soft top whenever I want?

Could you please post a picture of your JK with the tops the way they came in installed?
You can't have both. They come from the factory that way for transportation purposes and one or the other must be removed right away as the OP did.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,055
In additon to what Geoff said, I believe beer is also required. It will help to lay the top out in the sun for and hour or so before you put it on for the first time.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Mine came with the soft top installed (wrapped up). It fits in there nicely with the hard top on.
JKT69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,055
It needs to come out ASAP. Read your manual and it will explain how and why.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #8
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT69 View Post
Mine came with the soft top installed (wrapped up). It fits in there nicely with the hard top on.
You've still got to take it out, or it'll eventually get damaged. The manual's got a little schtick on it you should read over. Not to mention it's killing your cargo space isn't it?

That interior pic looks incredible. Never been big on the 2011 interior but boy, that looks really good.
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Thanks, I see that in the manual. Will do it shortly.

*I have to remove the hard top to get the soft top off? How can I do that by myself?
JKT69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #10
MTH
Fun Killing Ninja
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT69 View Post
*I have to remove the hard top to get the soft top off? How can I do that by myself?
With something like this (Lange Originals 014-602 - Lange Originals Crank Hoist-a-Top™ for 07-11 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door with 3 Piece Freedom Top™ - Quadratec).

Otherwise, get somebody to help you. I've never done it myself, but I understand that while it is mechanically easy, it is physically (very) awkward to do alone.
MTH is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT69 View Post
Thanks, I see that in the manual. Will do it shortly.

*I have to remove the hard top to get the soft top off? How can I do that by myself?
Yeah don't try to lift it by yourself. I'm 5'11 and I can lift a pretty good amount of weight, but like MTH said, it is very awkward and heavy so definitely try to get someone else to help you. I tried to do it myself the other day and it wasn't pretty. I got it up then came the task of trying to get it on the jeep and that wasn't happening.
__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 108
Sorry to hijack this thread, but just walked out there and noticed the orange sticker on the soft top that said remove one of the tops immediately. Damn...

Not sure a hoist will work in my garage. Maybe I just need to remove the hard top...definitely have something to think about now.
JKT69 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Marine Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
tysalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,399
Hey Geoff, I might be going to pick up a new soft top from someone off of Craigslist and I was just wondering if I will be able to fit it all in the back of my jeep without removing the hardtop? I can remove the back seat easily if necessary
__________________
So it's been, and shall be weighed: though many are born, few are "made". Faithful Always, they shall remain, dogs to loose when war is waged.
tysalem is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
makotoshishio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff@Bestop View Post
makotoshishio: The soft top is shipped installed with the hardtop, but it's not a good idea to leave it that way. You can't run both tops at the same time - it will damage the soft top.

gashead: you have everything you need for your soft top. When the weather gets better and you're ready to swap the tops, you're all set. You will most likely also cuss, complain and get annoyed the first time you put that top on. It's one of those things that gets a lot easier the third or fourth time. But there are people here ready to help when the time comes.

thank you, I even went to a local shop to find out, same answer you provided.

If it was possible I would have bought it right away!!
makotoshishio is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Geoff@Bestop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysalem View Post
Hey Geoff, I might be going to pick up a new soft top from someone off of Craigslist and I was just wondering if I will be able to fit it all in the back of my jeep without removing the hardtop? I can remove the back seat easily if necessary
The factory tops have bows that do not break down, so they are large and awkward (you can't ship them UPS). But i think they'll fit in your Jeep. Maybe stick out the back a bit or something. Take a little rope just in case.

All aftermarket tops, including Mopars, have two-piece bows, and compact to a small size.
Geoff@Bestop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 69
Thanks for all the quick responses guys.
Loving the Jeep so far.

gashead is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RECALL 2010 Dodge Nitro, Dodge Ram, Jeep Liberty and Jeep Wrangler PTaylor General Jeep Discussion 1 12-15-2010 07:06 PM
quick axle question Sb5551 TJ Tech Forum 3 10-03-2008 08:38 PM
Trans Mount Question MOz TJ Tech Forum 8 06-10-2008 03:14 PM
Carb question and EGR question trulefty YJ Tech Forum 0 12-12-2006 04:55 PM
Is dual steering stabilizers overkill? BigMike YJ General Discussion Forum 4 05-16-2006 10:41 AM


» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:02 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC