2011 or 2012 - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #91
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance_Redneck View Post
Forgive me for highjacking, but which of my CJ5's should I invest in for mods: the '71 with Dauntless V6, or the '80 with 304 V8?



Just kidding, really.
Go for the 304 with it's 125 ponies!

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #92
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRubicon View Post
Daggo...guessing "66" is year of birth? All of these dates line up with mine. I am in MD too...where are you located, Eastern Shore?
Negative to both. I'm 7 years older than you are guessing and live a little south of Baltimore.

__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #93
Jeeper
 
chavis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Baldwin, MD
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66

Negative to both. I'm 7 years older than you are guessing and live a little south of Baltimore.
I'm north of Baltimore.
chavis3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #94
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3
2011 v 2012

Brand-new Jeep owner and poster here. Thought I should weigh in on 12 days with a 2012 model. I was set to buy a 2011 for $500 less on the sticker plus $1,000 rebate. Someone beat me to it by about a half-hour. I "settled" for the 2012...Glad I did. I'm not an off-roader and do a lot of highway commuting and have always liked the way Wranglers handle. This engine really has some pop to it and if you factor in the later model year and improved gas mileage, the up front differential "cost" is a wash. Really fun to drive and no fear merging plus it cruises at 70 mph. Ward's Automotive seems to like the engine (a top 10) and Chrysler is all over it, putting it in several models plus building 2 plants to manufacture it. I think they're on to something.
Chrysler Group LLC: 3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6
Just so you know, some things never change: I had my first leak less than 48 hours after leaving the lot. The dealer re-seated the door seals, supposedly, and so far, no leaking.
DixieJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #95
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 22,199
Well of course "Chrysler is all over it". The whole purpose of the engine was to have one V6 to replace 4 different ones and save money.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #96
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,308
3.6 Is that a new engine for jeep?
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #97
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
Tried my darndest to buy a 2012 Sport off the lot in Tucson or Phoenix for 2% under Invoice. Most would not even give me 1% off invoice despite my TL membership (they played dumb). The ones that knew of TL would absolutely not give me an additional 1% unless I ordered.

Ended up getting an '11 Rubicon today with everything (Leather, Nav, Dual Tops etc) for a shade more than $6k off MSRP.
Thanks to everyone in this Community for all the information!!

2011 JKU Rubicon Deep Cherry with Leather and too many goodies
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #98
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Tried my darndest to buy a 2012 Sport off the lot in Tucson or Phoenix for 2% under Invoice. Most would not even give me 1% off invoice despite my TL membership (they played dumb). The ones that knew of TL would absolutely not give me an additional 1% unless I ordered.

Ended up getting an '11 Rubicon today with everything (Leather, Nav, Dual Tops etc) for a shade more than $6k off MSRP.
Thanks to everyone in this Community for all the information!!

2011 JKU Rubicon Deep Cherry with Leather and too many goodies
I got 2+% under invoice on my 2012 JKUR Sahara Tan (all over), leather, automatic, air 730N going through Costco buying service (pre negotiated fleet rates). The dealer I worked with was fantastic, no selling just helping. I found the Jeep I wanted by looking over the dealer inventory (on the lot and in transit) in my state, told him the VIN, and he did a dealer trade. Had the new '12 JKUR (color, options, etc) as I would have ordered it, within a couple of days.

I paid cash, so the difference was the $1k incentive I could have gotten on the '11. After test driving both, including taking both the '11 and '12 home overnight for a "curing period", it was a VERY easy decision for me. I replaced my 300hp+ luxury sedan. The '11 was just too much of a contrast in performance for me. The '12 is still a zippy and fun vehicle to drive. That's in addition to all the MANY off-road positives of the Wrangler.

Bottom line if performance on the '11 leaves you feeling disappointed and you don't have the stomach to shell out the $'s for a new Jeep just to spend $15-$20k to convert to a HEMI, the '12 is a VERY good "makes me feel like I didn't settle" choice. If the '11's performance (HP and transmission) is fine for you go for the better deal on the '11. Costco membership leveled the playing field for me down to a $1k cash difference.

I couldn't be happier with my decision!
stithb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #99
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Well of course "Chrysler is all over it"...that explains bankruptcy #2. All over the taxpayers wallet.
3tree is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #100
Newb
 
URNUTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 11
First year issues....

New here, and never a Jeep owner but selling my BMW and want something a bit more practical.
I've always stayed away from first year vehicles- I like the fact that vehicles at the end of their life-cycle have the kinks worked out and the deals are great.
That said- this is just a new engine (to the Wrangler) so is my assumption that there should not be too many issues correct?
Or are you on the floor laughing?
I'd kind of like the '12.
URNUTS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #101
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by URNUTS
New here, and never a Jeep owner but selling my BMW and want something a bit more practical.
I've always stayed away from first year vehicles- I like the fact that vehicles at the end of their life-cycle have the kinks worked out and the deals are great.
That said- this is just a new engine (to the Wrangler) so is my assumption that there should not be too many issues correct?
Or are you on the floor laughing?
I'd kind of like the '12.
The Jk is not new
The 3.6 is newer but not new
Your fine
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #102
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
Depends where you are in the U.S. I could have gotten at least 2% back of invoice in N. VA. Unfortunately, I just moved from VA to AZ and the USAA/ZAG prices are much different. No dealin out here in AZ on '12 models yet.

On the bright side, I got a HUGE discount on a fully loaded, with Leather, 2011 Rubi. Additionally, when factoring in financing 100% of the OTD price at 0% for 60 months, it equated to another $2,550 in my pocket

At the end of this deal, I got a beast of a vehicle for less than the MSRP on a 2012 JKU Sport with the 24S package. The very same vehicle which I was refused 2% under invoice at 4 dealers.

For me, that's a WHOLE lot of vehicle and extra money in my pocket just for the 2012 models to beat me to the next traffic light by 3 seconds
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #103
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Depends where you are in the U.S. I could have gotten at least 2% back of invoice in N. VA. Unfortunately, I just moved from VA to AZ and the USAA/ZAG prices are much different. No dealin out here in AZ on '12 models yet.

On the bright side, I got a HUGE discount on a fully loaded, with Leather, 2011 Rubi. Additionally, when factoring in financing 100% of the OTD price at 0% for 60 months, it equated to another $2,550 in my pocket

At the end of this deal, I got a beast of a vehicle for less than the MSRP on a 2012 JKU Sport with the 24S package. The very same vehicle which I was refused 2% under invoice at 4 dealers.

For me, that's a WHOLE lot of vehicle and extra money in my pocket just for the 2012 models to beat me to the next traffic light by 3 seconds
Money talks, bullshit walks as they say. Good Point!
__________________
-Justin
TxF150 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #104
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by URNUTS View Post
New here, and never a Jeep owner but selling my BMW and want something a bit more practical.
I've always stayed away from first year vehicles- I like the fact that vehicles at the end of their life-cycle have the kinks worked out and the deals are great.
That said- this is just a new engine (to the Wrangler) so is my assumption that there should not be too many issues correct?
Or are you on the floor laughing?
I'd kind of like the '12.
There will be issues. There have been issues with every year of JK. Don't worry about it and pull the trigger.
Bronsonbull is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #105
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
I agree with the idea of holding off on first generation technology. That goes with everything I buy. Everything from iPods to Engines... the first generation iteration is for the so-called "early adopters". They'll spend countless hours on the phone with manufacturers (or tech support) getting all the anamolies/bugs/kinks worked out. Have fun w/ that. I purchased a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited for this reason.
Also, the 2012 engine has 80 more horses ONLY if you are driving at 6000+ RPMs. In a Jeep, yea right. The 3.8 tops out in HP in the lower 5000 range at 202. The 3.6 is only about 30 - 40 more horses in that same range. Think about that. Not to say that, that is not an improvement, but I don't like it when people don't include the RPMs in when discussing horsepower as torque, RPMs, and HP are all directly related.
GreatOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #106
Jeeper
 
Scrapyd18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOutdoors
I agree with the idea of holding off on first generation technology. That goes with everything I buy. Everything from iPods to Engines... the first generation iteration is for the so-called "early adopters". They'll spend countless hours on the phone with manufacturers (or tech support) getting all the anamolies/bugs/kinks worked out. Have fun w/ that. I purchased a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited for this reason.
Also, the 2012 engine has 80 more horses ONLY if you are driving at 6000+ RPMs. In a Jeep, yea right. The 3.8 tops out it's HP in the lower 5000 range at 202. The 3.6 is only abou 30 - 40 more horses in that same range. Think about that. Not to say that, that is not an improvement, but I don't like it when people don't include the RPMs in when discussing horsepower as torque, RPMs, and HP are all directly related.
Yea but this is not the first time this engine is being used so tech this is the second run
__________________
1997 Wrangler TJ SE

AND SOON:
2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon
Scrapyd18 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #107
CG3
no retreat, no surrender

WF Supporting Member
 
CG3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utah/Mexico/California
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapyd18 View Post
Yea but this is not the first time this engine is being used so tech this is the second run
It is however first time in a Wrangler, and first time w/new auto transmission... not that that's a bad thing..... looks to me like the tranny is the good thing in the equation...
__________________
Carolyn
CG3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #108
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
I agree about the transmission... more gears = better fuel economy. However it might be worth noting that the Penstar is ALL-ALUMINUM, that's why is it 40% lighter. Where as the 3.8 is CAST-IRON, which is more durable. Aluminum is softer and can deform at lower temperatures than iron. So is better gas milage worth a 'possibly' shorter lifespan?
GreatOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #109
Jeeper
 
Scrapyd18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOutdoors
I agree about the transmission... more gears = better fuel economy. However it might be worth noting that the Penstar is ALL-ALUMINUM, that's why is it 40% lighter. Where as the 3.8 is CAST-IRON, which is more durable. Aluminum is softer and can deform at lower temperatures than iron. So is better gas milage worth a 'possibly' shorter lifespan?
Touché salesman touché!
__________________
1997 Wrangler TJ SE

AND SOON:
2012 Wrangler JKU Rubicon
Scrapyd18 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #110
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
GreatOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #111
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatOutdoors View Post
I agree about the transmission... more gears = better fuel economy. However it might be worth noting that the Penstar is ALL-ALUMINUM, that's why is it 40% lighter. Where as the 3.8 is CAST-IRON, which is more durable. Aluminum is softer and can deform at lower temperatures than iron. So is better gas milage worth a 'possibly' shorter lifespan?
They've been using aluminum for quite a while in engine design and it works very well, the bugs have been worked out a long time ago. In fact aluminum engines get to operating temps faster than cast iron which is a plus, since engine oil protects better at normal operating temps, than it does when an engine is cold. If anything an aluminum engine might last even longer than cast iron.
demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #112
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
I just bought a new 2011 JK Sport because of the price difference and I wanted Mango Tango.
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #113
Jeeper
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 369
Walc, are you me or am I you?

2011 Mango Tango Sport here, too!

So far, I don't get the full criticism of this ride- but then, I'm not trying to run mega-mudders on it... yet.

I think either choice is fine. I went this way because of the financing deals, and it was like fate- color I wanted in the config I wanted, sitting alone on a dealer's lot. I could almost hear it saying "please take me home". I'm weird like that- vehicles have personalities to me, for good or ill.

I like the fact that the 3.8 has been around and described as easy to work on, proven, simple. Not exactly contrary to the ethos of the CJ/Wrangler.

It is what it is- and its mine.
XPADREX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #114
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
XPADREX,
I guess we both just have good taste.
The other color I really like is Sahara Tan and I don't believe it's available in 2012 either.
The new engine and 5 speed auto would probably be nice to have; but price and color were more important to me.
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #115
Jeeper
 
XPADREX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 369
LOL I liked the Tan as well. I looked for a couple- but they were all 3.21, or automatics.

I wanted a 6sp, soft top, with air and 3.73. The Mango Tango was always a "joke" between my wife and I- I have a burnt orange (Aztec Orange Pearl) motorcycle, and her '10 Patriot we chose was the Sunset Orange Pearl, so when we'd swing by the dealership for a quick oil change this past winter, we saw the Mango Tango- and she said "you should get one of those!" Everytime we passed one, it was "there's mine!"

I had just bought the Patriot, and didn't figure on getting another new ride.

Then Wrangler fever hit me like a ton of bricks- so I looked on the Internet, and lo and behold a MT equipped precisely how I wanted it. Fate? You decide!
XPADREX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #116
rotaredoM

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
panthermark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicago-land
Posts: 9,747
Images: 13
^Mango Tango and Sahara Tan are...no..."were"....the two best colors in the line-up IMO. I'm looking for a 2012.....but none of the current colors really speak to me....especially the way Mango Tango did.
panthermark is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #117
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
These last few posts about Tan and Mango exactly describe my wife's and my decision for a 2011 JKU. I wanted a Rubicon for the big $$ savings off invoice and 0% while my wife was making the decision between Tan and Mango (both discontinued). So a 2011 was an easy decision .

We go to the last of many dealers and there were the Tan and Mango 2011 Rubicons parked sidexside and equipped exactly the same. The wife looks to the side and says "I want that one"....and we brought home the Deep Cherry
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 12:10 PM   #118
Jeeper
 
walc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Salisbury, MD, USA
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
These last few posts about Tan and Mango exactly describe my wife's and my decision for a 2011 JKU. I wanted a Rubicon for the big $$ savings off invoice and 0% while my wife was making the decision between Tan and Mango (both discontinued). So a 2011 was an easy decision .

We go to the last of many dealers and there were the Tan and Mango 2011 Rubicons parked sidexside and equipped exactly the same. The wife looks to the side and says "I want that one"....and we brought home the Deep Cherry
Gotta love em!
walc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #119
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by demarpaint View Post
They've been using aluminum for quite a while in engine design and it works very well, the bugs have been worked out a long time ago. In fact aluminum engines get to operating temps faster than cast iron which is a plus, since engine oil protects better at normal operating temps, than it does when an engine is cold. If anything an aluminum engine might last even longer than cast iron.
You're right, aluminum engines have been around for decades, and all-aluminum engines have been around since the '50s. They are the perferred engine of racers and private vehicle owners alike. But there are inherent differences in the materials that cannot be neglected. Yes, aluminum absorbs/dissipates heat faster than iron. But is that necessarily a good thing? In a racercar, sure, we need the "engine oil" temps to heat up and cool down quickly (as you mentioned). But who's out there revving their Wrangler in the red? In addition, Aluminum expands and contracts easily and is known to have porosity problems during the block-casting. This has lead to a higher scrap ratio and an increased likelihood (when compared to iron) of oil leaks/cracks/etc. This is why it is more expensive to manufacture aluminum engines, because much attention, quality checking, and testing needs to go into the engine to ensure it will not fail.
Iron is much simpler to cast. It's easier to work with and it's inherent strength and integrity is superior to aluminum. Downside? It's heavy.
Many engines have employed both materials in their design. For example cast-iron heads with an aluminum block. However the differences in expansion from heat in the two materials can lead to engine issues later on. Good thing the 2012 Wrangler employs an all-aluminum engine so that expansion and contraction remains constant throughout the engine.
I'm sure the lifespan of the two engines types will be comparable. All I was pointing out was that when it comes an off-road vehicle we need something that will be there for the long-haul. Especially given that Wranglers get their most aggressive usage in their later years.
GreatOutdoors is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #120
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,371
In a diesel engine I'd say cast iron is the only way to go. I don't see any downside to the gas powered aluminum designed engine of today. The materials used, and gaskets have been perfected, early on they had problems, for sure!

As far as off road vehicles go, and the long haul. I often wonder why they couldn't have spent more time and money making the perfect I-6. High torque low rpm seems like a good idea to me, and a deep stroke, big bore I-6 makes plenty of power. I guess size, weight, and the EPA took their toll. Still I believe the Pentastar is one of the best engines to come in a long time, and we are going to hear lots of good things about it. I just hope they don't kill it with Direct Injection.

demarpaint is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another 2011 or 2012..... jrmcgill25 JK General Discussion Forum 43 04-19-2013 01:16 PM
Trading in 2011 Wrangler for the 2012 Wrangler silverjeep1 JK General Discussion Forum 59 09-28-2011 11:24 PM
For people considering 2011 or 2012 jku Bronsonbull JK General Discussion Forum 7 08-07-2011 07:04 AM
cant decide 2011 or 2012 Mike686 JK General Discussion Forum 6 07-08-2011 08:04 PM
Buy 2011 Wrangler Sahara or wait for 2012? Oswyn JK General Discussion Forum 23 02-05-2011 01:12 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC