Dgdds91, Big Boy Laroux, firewire & dieselbud. Thank you all and you are welcome.
I am returning the Durang that I rented yesterday for the SW update dealer test. I have tested it in several ways and the update does work. We just need to figure out what the techs are doing to mess it up. They may be some old dogs but so am I. (well my kids say I am, but at 51 I only sometimes feel old) You just need to want to learn.
Originally Posted by Dgdds91
Yes. Thanks you for looking into this for all of us!
lol sorry, I'll have them up again soon. Good news is that there is hope this update can be a DIY. And no on the car running. Set it to on but don't start the ignition. You probably don't want your engine running for this
Trail-rated and now Trail-proven... can I get a different badge for that?
2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU with RHB (430n) head unit.
Iphone 4.3.1 (jailbroken)
I downloaded the Wrangler file from here (that was up for about 10 minutes). I completely reformatted a Thumb Drive under MS DOS FAT 32 (on my Mac with Disc Utility). I dragged that file onto the thumb drive, and followed the instructions on this thread for plugging it into the center console of my Jeep. I put the drive in BEFORE I held down the uconnect button. The screen read SOFTWARE UPDATE STARTED. It beeped for 15-20 minutes (I started to get nervous), and then just kicked back out to the last radio station I was listening to. I waited a few seconds to make sure it was indeed done, unplugged the thumb drive and started testing.
Since I knew the real test would be whether Bluetooth Streaming was fixed for my phone, I did that first. It streamed immediately, with none of the choppiness or double speed while the screen of the phone was on.
For the second part, I plugged my Phone into the center console to enter Iphone mode. It took about 30 seconds to connect, but connect it did. I then restarted the Jeep, causing the radio to reset and try to connect to my phone again. I did get a message and the screen for a few seconds that said "Initializing", which caused my heart to skip a beat, but it did indeed connect again after about 30 seconds. I tried it once more by unplugging my phone from the cable, then plugging it back in. After another 30 seconds, it reconnected once again.
Conclusion: The Wrangler file at least definitely works. Bluetooth streaming is finally fixed for the Iphone, and the USB Ipod controls finally work all the time (so far). I'll post any other behavioral differences I notice over the next few days if I indeed see any.
Finally: Thanks to MrJeep and xsdbs for making this happen! Saved me a trip to the dealer (actually, I went to one last Saturday, and they said no can do unless I'd leave the vehicle, which I was unable to do).
I haven't gotten into the habit of using Voice Command for the radio controls yet, so that will be a learning curve, but I'm just happy to only have to carry my Iphone 4 instead of that and my old Iphone 3G (which was still on iOS 4.0 and connected almost every time as an Ipod)