2011 Rubicon - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 773
2011 Rubicon

wow.

Just spent 3 hours with my local dealer playing ping pong on a brand new 2011 Rubicon. Pulled the trigger! Brand new 10 KM (6 miles). I'm climbing out of a mint original '89 yj (90 KM /55 mile). Dealer's been servicing that for the last 10 years and wouldn't let me leave without this new 2011 Rubicon. Problem (if it is) is, it wasn't at all what I intended to buy. Since I am keeping my original, needed a new(er) stable machine for the winters (Canada). However sat down and ran through the inventory, new 2012 Sport + required options, new or used 2011 Sport plus required options. etc.

Didn't even test drive it. So used to my beloved '89. Obviously anything newer can only be better.

1. Just running the numbers now, total discount was $7000. New 2011 Rubicon, with dual top and automatic. It sounds and looks good but is it?

2. Obviously 1989 vs. 2011 is night and day. Will I be able to handle it. More importantly what things go wrong or can I expect on 2011 Rubicon?

Any tips ideas, suggestions appreciated. One thing I did note here on these forums, that the soft top folded is shipped like that with the hard top on top of it, but it is not recommended to leave it like that? Remove the soft top in winter and put the hard top on, or can you leave the soft top installed and the hard top over it?

positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
2011 purchases aren't getting much love here lately. I think you did great!!

I went to a dealer in Tucson today and made a 2% off invoice offer on a 2012 JKU this afternoon and the manager offered MSRP. I told him all about Tread Lightly and he wasn't interested.

Enjoy your new ride!!

JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
twxsby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 182
I absolutly love my 2011 Rubi, had it almost 3 months, about 3400 miles. I have the dual top, you should take out the soft top and store it, it will rub and wear funny and not be covered. There are a couple bright orange tags telling you to remove it.
You are a veteran Jeeper, of course you can handle it, I have not had my 11 long enough for anything to go wrong, except for high centering it, but that was purely operator error. You wont be sorry
twxsby is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 773
Thanks. Picked it up a couple hours ago and just come in from an hour around town test drive (thing was inside the dealers showroom), never driven one before. Newest I've driven was a 1999 way back then, my original is 1989. Everything below compared to that which I just stuck in storage now:

Immediately the thing feels absolutely massive. Inside, feels like you're in a truck. Big solid truck like feeling.

Steering compared feels very very loose. Constantly adjusting but seem to get the hang of it after 30 minutes.

Visibilty and comfort will take a lot of getting used to. Can barely see anything through the review compared to the '89. Side mirrors definitely help.

Tilt steering may be an issue. I like it as low as possible so that your elbow is resting on the window frame with the window open and your hand is at 12 o'clock. Doing it with this cannot see the speedo at all. Compromise is tilt half way up and hand at 9 or 10 o'clock. Full view of the speedo. The other aspect is with the older one you had the center console which you could rest your arm all the way to the wrist, elbow on the window sill, hand at 12 o'clock, whole right arm on the center console which you could grip as your cornered. This one only half the arm.

Seat needs some fiddling. Needs to till the base upwards, checking the manual of it can do that? Raises up and down vertically but does it tilt? Really missing the dead foot pedal on the left, this for the autos. No where to jam your foot when cornering.

Otherwise, wow. Night and day. Funny how after driving leaf springs with Rancho shocks and 29'' all terrains for 22 years, reading and researching everyone always says about these new jeeps, they drive like a jeep bumpy and not like a car. Jeeze, compared to what I was in this thing is floats like a butterfly and cruises like a Cadillac!

Whole different ball game, from that insane driving carb to 2011 fuel injection. What a pleasure. The whole thing is just beautiful. From looks to driving to everything. Even had a ridiculously tricked out H2 pull up next to me and noticed he couldn't stop eyeballing hard.

Pulled into a store after getting it, kind of got freaked out when parking, switched off took the key out and the radio continued to play! Thought I did something wrong.

No doubt everything will take getting used to. It just seems so big in comparison and I can see/feel off-roading you'll be "driving" with spotters vs. the older ones, you could throw it around like a toy and practically see everywhere just leaning out and looking around.

Otherwise nothing in reality to complain about. How can you. Did not the engine/tranny hunt a couple times, which the older one never did. Guess tha too will have to be relearned.

End of the summer now, but how often do you hear people say, man can't wait for winter how there are blizzards every single day!
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Kspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Asheboro, NC
Posts: 317
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
__________________


"It is what it is......."
Kspike is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,916
Congrads--something else is new-

You don't have to hold the key on START, to start the engine--

Just insert key, turn over to ign, then let spring bringit back--the computer will startit !!

Kewl-huh

--JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Metry
Posts: 64
Great job... I was getting my 2011 Rubicon an oil change today at the dealer... They tried to sell me a 2012... Begged me to drive the new 2012, so I did... yea, its a lil quicker but it was a sport with auto and skinny street tires... while my rubi is a 6pd with 33s...

Nice, but I am not willing to trade up... Salesman got a lil ticked and said, never never never will there ever be a diesel... I told him, never trading in a 2011 that is set up the way I like for 70+ more horses... not worth it...
pacu44 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacu44
Great job... I was getting my 2011 Rubicon an oil change today at the dealer... They tried to sell me a 2012... Begged me to drive the new 2012, so I did... yea, its a lil quicker but it was a sport with auto and skinny street tires... while my rubi is a 6pd with 33s...

Nice, but I am not willing to trade up... Salesman got a lil ticked and said, never never never will there ever be a diesel... I told him, never trading in a 2011 that is set up the way I like for 70+ more horses... not worth it...
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 111
I'm kinda in a similar boat. I've been hyped on the 2012 sahara for a while now, but I'm seeing huge discounts on paper for the 2011 rubicons at a local dealer (and I'm sure I could get a better deal than listed).

Still can't figure out what's more important to me though, the new and shiny off the train sahara with the new 5 speed transmission or the slightly cheaper higher end rubicon that's been sitting around for a little while and possibly missing a feature or 2 that I want.

It's going to be a daily drive vehicle with the odd mild off-road trip, I'm sure both would be fine for both, but I'd think the higher gear ratio on the rubicon would cost me a little more in gas (negligible, I suppose).

I've got a little bit to wait on a 2 door 2012 to show up on the local lot to actually do a comparison, but I did drive a 4 door 2012 and was pretty impressed. Though coming from someone that's only ever driven a normal car it was a pretty alien experience with nothing to compare it to.
Zmob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL.
Posts: 446
positrak, were you talking about tilting the back rest of the seat front & back? There is a lever.
The next time before you get in the jeep, slide the seat forward and you will see it.

Anyways I've had my JK now for about 2 months now and ya , the rear view is not that great. What you can do is ,fold the seat down, so the head rest will fold down also, lift the seat up but do not let the head rest come up , and just strap them down.
ljrubitm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
Made offers on 2012 Sport JKUs (with 24S packages) at 4 different dealers and couldn't even get to Invoice -2%. I committed to getting a stripped down 2011 Rubicon instead.
So I took the wife to look at 2011 Rubicon JKUs yesterday to make the all important color selection. Went there trying to decide between a Mango and Tan which only had Hardtop and Auto trans as extras.
Ended up driving home a Deep Cherry with leather and everything except Auto Start and Smoker's Group for LESS than the 2012 Sport.
Sorry....but for me, 80 more horses in a '12 Sport model ain't worth trading all the Rubi "stuff", leather, Nav, dual tops, etc etc and bringing home an extra $400.00 bucks in my pocket.
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 773
Thanks for the good wishes. Loving it every day.

1. Figgered the seat out. While I knew and did crank that side handle to raise it (vertically), for some reason the first time it felt like it wasn't supposed to go further. After a day and less timid worry, I cranked it and sure enough after a certain point of stiffness or feeling like that's all it cranks, it goes well beyond that. Must have been stiff or just so new it felt like it came to its max.

2. Question. Should the interior lights come on when the doors are opened? Likewise, should the gear shifter gate also be lit up when starting? In a dark underground parking this morning, opened the door, no lights came on, started up, thought I had it in reverse, almost goosed the concrete wall infront of me.

3. Black on black, man that thing absorbs heat in the son like nothing else. 5 minutes out and back in like a sweat box. Just noticed in the bright sun today scratches to the white glass underneath on the black hard top, pretty clear to me when the re-fitted the hard top on before delivery, somone with metal buttons on their overall was hugging it and scraped out some small spots. Is there a touch up paint for the hard top?

4. Quite the gas guzzler. Roughly 1/4 tank from 30 KM to 76 a/c on and off. Does feel a bit sluggish with a/c on full compared to not.

5. In 24 hour total paranoid phase. Parking well away from every other car in parking lots. Walking around checking everywhere when returning. Did someone touch it, ding it key it... it;s so beautifully clean and fresh,the tires still got the simonizing on them white lettering or whatever it is on the treads, the nuggets of rubber on the lugs them selves, feaking out phase 100%. And most if not everyone will take it through the brush and bramble and scrape it up good the day they get it lol. What's the 'i don't care anymore phase period' after brand spanking new? A week, month, never? That's the joke of the matter, with the old '89 I'd park where ever when every and EVERYONE else would steer clear of me, know I'm EVERYONE else, steering well clear of old me.

Total head turner which is quite interesting. From new Land Rovers to Porsche Cyans to Ferraries who don't even clear the top of the wheel. So much so I keep scoping out Unlimited Wranglers when ever I seem they look awesome on the road. And never to many. Very unique looking and very cool.

Forgive me for rambling. But nothing like a hot sunny last day of summer crusing around and then a young hot Jeep chick, doors off roof off, gives you a wave
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 773
p.s. JIMBOX 100% wasn't sure what you were referring to this a.m

figgered it out after several goes, very very cool, very very subtle to do. All getting pretty freaky autonomous starting, stopping. Sure as hell beats cranking on a carb for 3 second intervals. Tweek the key let it go and it starts.
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 773
Couple things:

1. now got 130 KM on the new jeep (exactly one week + a day old). Brakes are squeaking at bare minimum brakeing (crawl in parking space etc.). Normal, not, should contact dealer?

2. Lot of feedback from the steering column, did see an earlier thread about that but + hearing it. Not hearing it. Just a bit "jiggly" through the steering column. Concern, wait?

3. Crawling in gear. First week, noted with bemusement on flat parking, other, putting into gear does nothing. You got to gas it (vs. old carb, the thing would walk on its own). Now started to walk on its own, from start, to put into gear, on parking space, will back out without touching the gas.

4. Similarly and conversely, when first driven exiting indoor garage waiting for door to open, about 25 degree incline, let foot of gas to await door opening, stood still. Now, today, rolling backwards.

Just need some guidence on all this little things, do you alert the service (in particular the brakes), or wait for the first service? Nothing drastic but noticeable changes, more importantly the brakes in that if I wait they may claim it's your cost and your wear and tear, need new brakes etc.

Note: overly humid today, can any of this be a result?
positrak is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,814
My "new brakes" on my Tj would squeal on a humid day. I would not worry too much. My dealer offered to actually fix my noisy clutch under warranty, even though it is considered a "wear item" but still covered under my used car (jeep) 3/3000 warranty.
Good luck
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JeffC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tucson
Posts: 398
Just an update since my early contribution to this thread. Subsequently, I purchased an '11 Rubicon Unlimited after striking out on three 2012 JKU Sports at three different AZ dealers who wouldn't budge off Invoice.

OK, it isn't as quick off the line as the 2012, but I was offroad today for 3 hrs and never broke 25mph!!

Did I mention that with the money I was prepared to buy a 2012 JKU Sport I got a loaded 2011 JKU Rubicon with leather ?!

My ego and wallet are intact!! Gotta say, this rig is more capable than I will ever be off-road.
JeffC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 33,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC
Just an update since my early contribution to this thread. Subsequently, I purchased an '11 Rubicon Unlimited after striking out on three 2012 JKU Sports at three different AZ dealers who wouldn't budge off Invoice.

OK, it isn't as quick off the line as the 2012, but I was offroad today for 3 hrs and never broke 25mph!!

Did I mention that with the money I was prepared to buy a 2012 JKU Sport I got a loaded 2011 JKU Rubicon with leather ?!

My ego and wallet are intact!! Gotta say, this rig is more capable than I will ever be off-road.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler TR 2.5 coils/rear TB/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings=Frankinjeep from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Nadurra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by positrak View Post
Thanks. Picked it up a couple hours ago and just come in from an hour around town test drive (thing was inside the dealers showroom), never driven one before. Newest I've driven was a 1999 way back then, my original is 1989. Everything below compared to that which I just stuck in storage now:

Immediately the thing feels absolutely massive. Inside, feels like you're in a truck. Big solid truck like feeling.

Steering compared feels very very loose. Constantly adjusting but seem to get the hang of it after 30 minutes.

Visibilty and comfort will take a lot of getting used to. Can barely see anything through the review compared to the '89. Side mirrors definitely help.

Tilt steering may be an issue. I like it as low as possible so that your elbow is resting on the window frame with the window open and your hand is at 12 o'clock. Doing it with this cannot see the speedo at all. Compromise is tilt half way up and hand at 9 or 10 o'clock. Full view of the speedo. The other aspect is with the older one you had the center console which you could rest your arm all the way to the wrist, elbow on the window sill, hand at 12 o'clock, whole right arm on the center console which you could grip as your cornered. This one only half the arm.

Seat needs some fiddling. Needs to till the base upwards, checking the manual of it can do that? Raises up and down vertically but does it tilt? Really missing the dead foot pedal on the left, this for the autos. No where to jam your foot when cornering.

Otherwise, wow. Night and day. Funny how after driving leaf springs with Rancho shocks and 29'' all terrains for 22 years, reading and researching everyone always says about these new jeeps, they drive like a jeep bumpy and not like a car. Jeeze, compared to what I was in this thing is floats like a butterfly and cruises like a Cadillac!

Whole different ball game, from that insane driving carb to 2011 fuel injection. What a pleasure. The whole thing is just beautiful. From looks to driving to everything. Even had a ridiculously tricked out H2 pull up next to me and noticed he couldn't stop eyeballing hard.

Pulled into a store after getting it, kind of got freaked out when parking, switched off took the key out and the radio continued to play! Thought I did something wrong.

No doubt everything will take getting used to. It just seems so big in comparison and I can see/feel off-roading you'll be "driving" with spotters vs. the older ones, you could throw it around like a toy and practically see everywhere just leaning out and looking around.

Otherwise nothing in reality to complain about. How can you. Did not the engine/tranny hunt a couple times, which the older one never did. Guess tha too will have to be relearned.

End of the summer now, but how often do you hear people say, man can't wait for winter how there are blizzards every single day!
I share your feelings when I drove my Rubi off the lot the other day as well...the tires need to be scuffed up a bit. Mine feels very twitchy as well. Miles about my old CJ. Enjoy.

__________________
Regards,
John
'14 JKURX,
'12 JKUR


Nadurra is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 unlimited rubicon redleg13fa WF New Member Check In 5 08-19-2011 04:20 AM
KS: Five (5) 2011 Jeep Rubicon Wheels 17x7.5 $650 shipped JK23 Classifieds Archive 0 06-29-2011 10:21 AM
Ideas/suggestions...Buying 2011 Rubicon BADBOY-RUBICON JK General Discussion Forum 7 01-27-2011 01:29 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC