2011 soft top leak question (tried the search) - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #61
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 29
I didn't know this either until I went to look at the one on the lot and read the options. I then talked to a Chrysler rep and they confirmed it. It is all part of the Call of Duty package. It is the only model to come with the 5.13 gears. Error on my part not 5.10. I want back to Military Car Sales at Ramstein and pulled the VIN number to have a friend who works for Chrysler to run the VIN and pull all the options on the vehicle and it states 5.13. I see if I can get a good faxed copy and scan it and post it. Now, granted Being Active duty Military and being overseas we can order our vehicles straight from Chrysler and have it built how we want. It is possible someone order it that way and then changed their mind it happens. So, I am not sure if the 5.13's are stock or an option that they ordered, but it is sitting up at the KMC in Ramstein. I just assumed that they came stock that way, because of the price difference between the Rubicon and the Rubicon C.O.D.

monstrousmac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 12:41 AM   #62
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtflybye
i do drive the mustang in the pic and i stay dry !!! ive seen basically almost 90%of vehicles on the road 60% U.S. and 30% import and they all have some sorta plug near fire wall drip rails at bottom of jams. 1979 to 2004 mustangs have at least 2-4 plugs in the floor pans ever look in the trunk of a 60-70s cars guess what they have plugs!! so was i right about your freightshaker ??electronic detroit ?? crap huh??or did u hit your pocket and step up to a cat?are u cubs fan cause that would explain alot??this is fun
My "freight shaker" was a 24v cummins. Which is a better motor than a detroit or a cat. And no, I'm a cards fan. And no, that engine (oh yeah I had three of them FYI) was a workhorse in all of the $600,000 motrcoaches it was in. Coupled with an allison transmission and you can't beat it.

__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #63
Jeeper
 
svtflybye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: woodbridge nj
Posts: 20
see we agree on something go cards and long live #22 jack clark
svtflybye is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #64
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtflybye
see we agree on something go cards and long live #22 jack clark
yeah something.
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM   #65
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Stationed in Ft. Stewart, GA. Live in Chino, CA. Currently in Camp Ramadi, Iraq.
Posts: 54
Send a message via AIM to Bohrya Send a message via Yahoo to Bohrya
This place is fun!

I do understand the expectation of paying 32k for a 4x4 and being disappointed with the fact it leaks, but I do have to say you obviously didn't do any research. You don't buy Wranglers, old or new, hard or soft top for the road...you buy them for off-road. Yes they can be very fun daily drivers and all, but if you want a on-road 4x4, get a Grand Cherokee, or Toyota TJ Cruiser or one of the million other on-road off-roaders (BMW and Porsche also make them). If you aren't going on the trails with them you really are wasting your money. You don't by a Corvette for country roads. This is why it's a Jeep thing. This is why they haven't fixed in 70 years and why they are still the #1 off-roader. Not because of the leaks, but despite them. Because after 70 years they still make them ready to go out and get muddy off the lot.

And yes, other cars have drain hole for emergencies...Wranglers have them like Militay HMMWVs have them, easy access cause they KNOW you will need them.
__________________
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." -Redd Foxx

“Power corrupts. Knowledge is power. Study hard. Be evil.” -Unknown
Bohrya is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #66
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrmnCrsNBr View Post
That's because its false, 5.10 there be none, it would be 5.13 but none the less its 4.10 just like the Rubi.
I was trying to be diplomatic.
Mac2411 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #67
Jeeper
 
homebrwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrousmac View Post
I didn't know this either until I went to look at the one on the lot and read the options. I then talked to a Chrysler rep and they confirmed it. It is all part of the Call of Duty package. It is the only model to come with the 5.13 gears. Error on my part not 5.10. I want back to Military Car Sales at Ramstein and pulled the VIN number to have a friend who works for Chrysler to run the VIN and pull all the options on the vehicle and it states 5.13. I see if I can get a good faxed copy and scan it and post it. Now, granted Being Active duty Military and being overseas we can order our vehicles straight from Chrysler and have it built how we want. It is possible someone order it that way and then changed their mind it happens. So, I am not sure if the 5.13's are stock or an option that they ordered, but it is sitting up at the KMC in Ramstein. I just assumed that they came stock that way, because of the price difference between the Rubicon and the Rubicon C.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2411 View Post
I was trying to be diplomatic.
Its based off the Rubicon trim, so they come with 4.10. The 5.13 you have must be special order.
homebrwd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
Jeffd34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailguard

Yardville..central NJ..
I grew up in Yardville..moved a about 6 years ago.
Jeffd34 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #69
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,789
OK, I did a speed read through this thread. I'm on my second 08 Wrangler because Chrysler bought my first one back because of leaks. The hard top leaked and I didn't much care about the soft top issues cause I just figured it would leak. Don't ask for the details of the buyback cause I signed a gag agreement. I'll start there.

Out of the box (brand new), there seems to be two types of owners, in general, when trying to describe the response to leaks. There is the "it is a jeep thing" type owner who really doesn't care about the ability of the jeep to keep water out. I think those folks are the easiest for the dealers to sell a jeep to because they expect nothing from the dealer regarding the leaks and will just solve them on their own...or not because they don't care about it as an issue. Suffice it to say, I didn't fit into this category.

I was of the opinion that I paid $35,000.00+ for a vehicle that leaked. One of the major purposes of a vehicle besides getting folks around, especially in this modern day that we live in is the ability to keep the occupants dry. I feel that if the jeep is delivered to you with a leak, the dealer should make the leak stop. They tried several times on my first jeep factory installed hard top to do exactly that. And failed. They bought it back. The replacement leaked in the exact same place. First rain storm I brought it back. They adjusted it. Second rain storm same thing. They adjusted it and it hasn't leaked since in three years of ownership.

Now here is where my opinion begins to depart from the dealer should fix it attitude. As the jeep ages, as with many convertible type cars, eventually, it is going to leak...for one reason or another. A convertible car doesn't have the amount of seal surface of a jeep so a car may leak less. Most cars don't have two types of tops, just tops that the owner lifts it up and puts it down. So the leak situation is compounded by the fact that the different tops may not have the exact same seal qualities/lines, etc. So some leaking within the management of the two different tops is likely. I have never had the same expectation from my soft top as I have from my hard top...I almost expect the soft top to leak. When it does, I have always been able to solve it by manipulating it until it seals. And with my hard top, once the dealer proved that the top could hold water out, I was satisfied that they met the conditions of my warranty and have never bothered them again for a leak.

Now here is where my opinion changes completely over to agree with the "it is a jeep thing" type peoples. Now that my jeep is 3 years old (almost), if it leaks now, I will find and solve the leaks. I don't expect it to stay water tight forever. Within the next three years or so, the carpets will be out and the tub will be bed lined. Then I REALLY won't care if it leaks or not.

In Dec. 2010 I purchased a 92 Wrangler. It leaks. The tub was already bed lined by a previous owner. I don't care that it leaks. This summer I will be driving it all over creation with no top, and no doors. If it gets caught out in a storm, I don't care.

So, can you see the progression here? I hope that the jeepers can have some understanding of folks who buy a new jeep and expect it to not leak and that the new jeep owners can understand this "its a jeep thing" attitude of the perpetual jeep owner. In my opinion it takes a while after the sale for a lot of folks who purchase a new thing to let go of the newness of it and be happy with it for its intended purpose. If I ever bought a new one again (my wife is beginning to get after me) I think the expectation of the new jeep would be the same...it shouldn't leak off of the lot.

So, for you folks out there who are of the same mind as I am, I will say that you need to document each visit to the dealer and demand that they perform on the warranty (not being an ass about it). Living in a strict lemon law state helps. Good luck with your leaking jeeps. Only a small percentage of them do or it would drive the company out of business trying to fix them all. Have some patience while you go through the process. Your dealer didn't cause the leak after all, it was done during the manufacturing process or it just needs to be adjusted right and it will be OK. I didn't yell once at the service people. I told them my expectations. When I felt they were not giving me the right answers, I asked Chrysler. I didn't always get my way. I tried to stay reasonable. In the end they made a satisfied customer out of me. I hope they do with you too.

Best regards.
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #70
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
OK, I did a speed read through this thread. I'm on my second 08 Wrangler because Chrysler bought my first one back because of leaks. The hard top leaked and I didn't much care about the soft top issues cause I just figured it would leak. Don't ask for the details of the buyback cause I signed a gag agreement. I'll start there.

Out of the box (brand new), there seems to be two types of owners, in general, when trying to describe the response to leaks. There is the "it is a jeep thing" type owner who really doesn't care about the ability of the jeep to keep water out. I think those folks are the easiest for the dealers to sell a jeep to because they expect nothing from the dealer regarding the leaks and will just solve them on their own...or not because they don't care about it as an issue. Suffice it to say, I didn't fit into this category.

I was of the opinion that I paid $35,000.00+ for a vehicle that leaked. One of the major purposes of a vehicle besides getting folks around, especially in this modern day that we live in is the ability to keep the occupants dry. I feel that if the jeep is delivered to you with a leak, the dealer should make the leak stop. They tried several times on my first jeep factory installed hard top to do exactly that. And failed. They bought it back. The replacement leaked in the exact same place. First rain storm I brought it back. They adjusted it. Second rain storm same thing. They adjusted it and it hasn't leaked since in three years of ownership.

Now here is where my opinion begins to depart from the dealer should fix it attitude. As the jeep ages, as with many convertible type cars, eventually, it is going to leak...for one reason or another. A convertible car doesn't have the amount of seal surface of a jeep so a car may leak less. Most cars don't have two types of tops, just tops that the owner lifts it up and puts it down. So the leak situation is compounded by the fact that the different tops may not have the exact same seal qualities/lines, etc. So some leaking within the management of the two different tops is likely. I have never had the same expectation from my soft top as I have from my hard top...I almost expect the soft top to leak. When it does, I have always been able to solve it by manipulating it until it seals. And with my hard top, once the dealer proved that the top could hold water out, I was satisfied that they met the conditions of my warranty and have never bothered them again for a leak.

Now here is where my opinion changes completely over to agree with the "it is a jeep thing" type peoples. Now that my jeep is 3 years old (almost), if it leaks now, I will find and solve the leaks. I don't expect it to stay water tight forever. Within the next three years or so, the carpets will be out and the tub will be bed lined. Then I REALLY won't care if it leaks or not.

In Dec. 2010 I purchased a 92 Wrangler. It leaks. The tub was already bed lined by a previous owner. I don't care that it leaks. This summer I will be driving it all over creation with no top, and no doors. If it gets caught out in a storm, I don't care.

So, can you see the progression here? I hope that the jeepers can have some understanding of folks who buy a new jeep and expect it to not leak and that the new jeep owners can understand this "its a jeep thing" attitude of the perpetual jeep owner. In my opinion it takes a while after the sale for a lot of folks who purchase a new thing to let go of the newness of it and be happy with it for its intended purpose. If I ever bought a new one again (my wife is beginning to get after me) I think the expectation of the new jeep would be the same...it shouldn't leak off of the lot.

So, for you folks out there who are of the same mind as I am, I will say that you need to document each visit to the dealer and demand that they perform on the warranty (not being an ass about it). Living in a strict lemon law state helps. Good luck with your leaking jeeps. Only a small percentage of them do or it would drive the company out of business trying to fix them all. Have some patience while you go through the process. Your dealer didn't cause the leak after all, it was done during the manufacturing process or it just needs to be adjusted right and it will be OK. I didn't yell once at the service people. I told them my expectations. When I felt they were not giving me the right answers, I asked Chrysler. I didn't always get my way. I tried to stay reasonable. In the end they made a satisfied customer out of me. I hope they do with you too.

Best regards.
Sounds like a perfect explanation. New = make the leaks stop please.
Old = I'll bring an umbrella in the jeep with me and have some fun.
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
svtflybye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: woodbridge nj
Posts: 20
common sense thanx but leaks /death wobble/ protective skid plates!! pretty bad stuff !! IMO but its a jeep thing
svtflybye is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #72
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
jk'n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: First Quadrant in the Land of the Free
Posts: 4,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtflybye View Post
common sense thanx but leaks /death wobble/ protective skid plates!! pretty bad stuff !! IMO but its a jeep thing
I think you're getting it!
__________________

Participate in life....Keep movin'....Go there....JK'n it.........Do it! Jeep #1: Red Rock 08 JK Rubicon 4dr, 6 sp manual, Stock Mud Tires, MyGIG Upgrade, Hard Top, after sale BestTop SunRider Soft Top, Congo Cage Rack, Mopar slush mats Jeep #2 Black 08 JK Rubicon 2dr, 6 sp manual, both tops, some chrome...uggg (my wife's jeep) Jeep #3 White 92 YJ (my son's jeep) A great quote from a good friend: "All hail click clack and master jk'n." Click and clack are my idols!
jk'n is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jailguard View Post
Funny...had a 78 cj,98 wrangler sport and a 2008 hummer H2..2011 jku now....why all the hate???And I wave to all wranglers..

no hate i love jks and jkus, i just think the crow has changed alot . not the same people looking at the new jeeps now a days
i wave to all wranglers as well, just seems i get the "im too good for you" face when i wave to a jk lol makes me feel bad
rmburwell is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2011, 12:45 AM   #74
Jeeper
 
svtflybye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: woodbridge nj
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk'n View Post
I think you're getting it!
u know what im gonna go to the dealer let them try to fix if not scrueuw it and enjoy it cause im gonna lose so might as well have fun can anyone point me to a starter spot in jersey to get dirty and dont be smart asscs by sending me to a canyon or worse!! thanx for the jeep thing! CANT EM BEAT JOIN em!!! OH YA KAUFMAN FREIGHTLINERS STILL SUK!! ill take a pete 388 w a cat C-15 625 hp 18 sp. anyday
svtflybye is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #75
Dont forget a Jack strap

WF Supporting Member
 
jkaufman_95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On the Road,
Posts: 30,846
At least u didn't say international
__________________
Do I look like a cat to you boy? Am I jumpin' around all nimbly bimbly from tree to tree? Am I drinking milk from a saucer? DO YOU SEE ME EATING MICE?
jkaufman_95 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2011, 02:26 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
Well, I will definitely say I wasn't a big fan of the first time I jumped into my jeep to find a 2 inch pool of water in the floor but after I got over the initial shock, I turned the key and it started right up... So leak or no leak, it's got Ford beat rofl. I knew the dealership would take care of the leak for me so instead of worrying about that, I decided to concentrate on how to get the water out.. Oddly enough, jeep must have had leaks in mind when they gave me the ability to throw it in 4x4, drive sideways on a hill and throw open the door.. And that's how I made my "first" leak fun.
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
RazorbackMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 200
My second leak involved just the drivers floorboard.. Which i managed to hide from my passengers as they piled into the back. Then step two involved finding a steep hill, gunning it up the hill and hearing the screams from the back. And that's how I made my "second" leak fun. On my third leak, the jeep taught me what south park couldn't... "always bring a towel"
__________________
"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" -- A. Einstein
RazorbackMac is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #78
Jeeper
 
jeep2011mass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mass
Posts: 68
I agree there is no perfect vehicle on the road, brand spankin new or not every car / jeep/ truck has a quirk... Mine has 3000 miles on it and it leaks already from time to time.. It is a soft top, but what can you do If It gets more frequent then I will bring it in, but till then I will wait..
__________________
Owning a Jeep is the ticket to the greatest show on earth.

2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Natural Green
jeep2011mass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #79
Newb
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
So I do not find it very funny either with the jokes when I spent 35K on A jeep that does nothing but flood every time it rains. It's very fustrating that I have had my 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unliminted for 7 months and all it does is sit in the drive way and look nice becuase it's not drivable. I have had three new tops and problem not fixed. Just got it back on Tuesday of this week and its now Saturday and suprise it's flooded again!

mccomsbrent is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about gauges 2011 Gvfjr JK General Discussion Forum 26 08-24-2012 11:51 AM
2011 question on tops flharleycop JK General Discussion Forum 22 01-26-2011 05:13 PM
Soft top question Jon H YJ Tech Forum 6 06-16-2009 08:29 AM
soft top question mishel JK General Discussion Forum 9 04-28-2009 02:41 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC