2012 jk already getting a head replaced - Page 8 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #211
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmcd99 View Post
Its got jam. GM lent one to the EVOC Class over the spring. They are very represenitive of the old caprice as far as power and top end. Smoke the charger, crown vic, impala at about everything during our training. Ugly, but wow factor.
I wasn't impressed at all with how the new Caprice looks. The Pontiac looked great, and IMO, most of the Pontiacs looked far better than their Chevrolet counterparts. GM should fire the Chevrolet designers and replace them with Pontiac's designers.

Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #212
Jeeper
 
Phishe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 490
The dealer has now had my jeep for a week. The cylinder head was supposed to be in on Friday; didn't happen. They got it on Saturday, and so they're working on it today. Might be done tomorrow, but probably Thursday. (Wednesday's a holiday after all.)

Service tech told me that there's a redesigned head for the 3.6. He said, "put it this way, yours will not be the first '12 that we'll be replacing the cylinder head."

Nice.

__________________
'12 JK Arctic Edition, a/k/a B.A. Baracus, a/k/a Bosco
Mods: AntennaX 13", 20% tinted front windows, Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper, Alpine SPS-610 (sound bar), Alpine SPR-60C (dash/tweeters), Olympic Safari mirrors (when doorless)

Phishe is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #213
Newb
 
S.Rivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 4
Thanks for this bit of info-my JKU is in the shop now for the cyl head replacement. Just asked them what exactly they are going to replace-thankfully it's the whole head assembly w/ the valves etc. Hopfully, they know what they are doing and will do it right! Bought my JKU last Oct and I've got about 23k on it now-just glad this issue showed itself before the 36k mile mark.
Due to this problem, I'm thinking about getting the extended warrenty, just to be on the safe side-what do you all think? A worthwhile purchase or not???
S.Rivas is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #214
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Rivas View Post
Thanks for this bit of info-my JKU is in the shop now for the cyl head replacement. Just asked them what exactly they are going to replace-thankfully it's the whole head assembly w/ the valves etc. Hopfully, they know what they are doing and will do it right! Bought my JKU last Oct and I've got about 23k on it now-just glad this issue showed itself before the 36k mile mark.
Due to this problem, I'm thinking about getting the extended warrenty, just to be on the safe side-what do you all think? A worthwhile purchase or not???
What's the relevance of 36k miles?
i82much is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #215
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much

What's the relevance of 36k miles?
I just spent last hour reading these posts, going on YouTube and listening to various uploads of engine ticks both prior and after fix. I cannot hear much of a difference. I recorded my engine and compared it to the videos and I'm at a loss if my engine has a normal sound or tick. There is an obvious tick but it's not loud and if instant about one foot away, I don't here it. My build date is 12/11. I only have 1400 miles and barely drive 8k in a year. Is there a way the dealer can listen or run a test without this engine light coming on to figure out if my jeep falls into the damaged head category?
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #216
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Also. Forgot. Do any of you have video sound of before and after head replacement?
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #217
Newb
 
AzH3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
2012 JK cyl head failure at 15K

Well, dealer just told me today that my cyl head needs to be replaced. this is crap, never had a new car fail this quickly, what a piece of crap. bought the JK rubicon for the off road capability, thought the new motor would cure the low perf problems of the 3.8. Quality control is obviously not a strong chrysler strong point. WTF?
AzH3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #218
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kearneysville, WV
Posts: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzH3 View Post
Well, dealer just told me today that my cyl head needs to be replaced. this is crap, never had a new car fail this quickly, what a piece of crap. bought the JK rubicon for the off road capability, thought the new motor would cure the low perf problems of the 3.8. Quality control is obviously not a strong chrysler strong point. WTF?
Quality control has NEVER been one of Chrysler's strong suits, wtf have you been smokin'?
Con Artist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #219
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calvert county, Southern Maryland
Posts: 569
If its any consolation, I've just gone about 3000 miles and three months since i had my head replaced. No reoccurring problem has manifested itself since....turning just over 19000 miles and still going strong. Yeah, it sucked, but it was under warranty and Jeep replaced it. Would i buy another Chrysler product....in a heartbeat. Have had 3 x Wranglers, 2 x Grand Cherokees and 2 x Liberty and 2 x Ram Trucks. Never a problem with any of them until this go-round (3rd Wrangler). They've been rock solid. Have they handled it right....probably not.....but they've been good to their word so far on replacing defects it appears on a case by case basis.

jmho

cass
tcass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #220
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, Ma
Posts: 40
Well without getting myself in trouble for speaking out from the inside, there is now and updated part number for this issue Left head # RL141353AB Right head #68141352AD. Anyone who's already had there head replaced probably did not get the updated numbers...
topless2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #221
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calvert county, Southern Maryland
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by topless2012 View Post
Well without getting myself in trouble for speaking out from the inside, there is now and updated part number for this issue Left head # RL141353AB Right head #68141352AD. Anyone who's already had there head replaced probably did not get the updated numbers...
interesting......at least they seem to be preparing for the problem, now that so many have experienced the problem. maybe its an easy way to keep track of the number of "issues".....just see how many "parts" are sold.

thanks for the insight.

cass
tcass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #222
Newb
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eojochaz View Post
I bought my 2012 in september and couldn't be happier about the decision , until now.
my check engine light came on just after 11k miles, so obviously i brought it back to jeep. they gave me a loaner and 3 days later they fixed the problem. said it was a bad computer , was reading out there was an issue with one of the heads, and they had to replace it (the computer). so 3 days later i pick up Dorothy (thats my jeep) and go home happy.
the next day im at work on my coffee break sitting in my jeep staying warm and the check engine light comes on again. so i call and make an appointment to drop it off again. I dropped it off on the monday after christmas.
Tuesday they call me and tell me that its still reading that there was a head issue so they have to call some headquarters and ask what to do.
Wednesday still no answers...
Thursday they tell me there going to have to replace the head. part should come in on monday and i should have my jeep back wednesday.
That wednesday comes around , no call.... so thursday after work i call to find out whats up. apparently the part didn't come in until wednesday (just a day before, and 2 days later than expected) and they were still working on putting it back together. hopefully friday i should have Dorothy back .
Friday came and no call. so i call friday night at 5 because i know the service department closes at 6 , and there still not done fixing it , and the guy working on it does not work saturdays so another weekend i get go go without my jeep.
i guess the reason im posting this , is i would like to know if any one has had or heard of any problems similar or even worst than this. should i throw in the towel already and go back to a jeep with a straight 6 . why do they gotta be messing with a good thing ?!
I have a 2012 jk that has 1300 miles on it and had the same problem. My check engine light came on with no apparent driving problems so I took it into the dealership and it showed a cylinder misfire on cylinder six. The tech told me they had to call Chrysler and find out what to do. Now it is 27 days later and they just now have gotten the part cause it was on backorder. It sat in the lot for a whole day after the part came in and I am going up there today to raise hell about it. It has to be some kind of defect in the casting because there are way too many keeps with the same problem. I'm just glad there is a lemon law to protect consumers when issues like this come up. If I have anymore problems from it they will be replacing the engine or talking to my lawyer!
Medic81 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #223
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Same problem at 25k?

Anyone having same problem once they hit 25k?
Had the heads replaced at 13k, just like everyone else. Engine light came on last week, dealership said system update. Light came on again today, bringing it in tomorrow.
Heads replaced twice?!? This must be covered under the lemon law? Anyone one have info or advice for me?
__________________
Lauren
Silver Sahara Unlimited 12'
lauren3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #224
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren3 View Post
Anyone having same problem once they hit 25k?
Had the heads replaced at 13k, just like everyone else. Engine light came on last week, dealership said system update. Light came on again today, bringing it in tomorrow.
Heads replaced twice?!? This must be covered under the lemon law? Anyone one have info or advice for me?
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you had a head replaced before late-august of this year, you got the same defective head design. So it is prone to failure. The odds of it happening twice are supposed to be infinitely small (according to chrysler), but it's happened to about 4 people so far on this board. In August they introduced the second re-design, ending in part number AC. This, so far, is good.

Look up the lemon law in your state. It's usually 5 times for the same problem with no resolution, or greater than 30 days in the shop. It's different for every state. good luck.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #225
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If you had a head replaced before late-august of this year, you got the same defective head design. So it is prone to failure. The odds of it happening twice are supposed to be infinitely small (according to chrysler), but it's happened to about 4 people so far on this board. In August they introduced the second re-design, ending in part number AC. This, so far, is good.

Look up the lemon law in your state. It's usually 5 times for the same problem with no resolution, or greater than 30 days in the shop. It's different for every state. good luck.
Thanks! I brought it November 11', heads replace by April 12'. Hopefully second re-design works!
__________________
Lauren
Silver Sahara Unlimited 12'
lauren3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #226
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Milpitas
Posts: 79
bumping this thread up...

The MFI light turned ON yesterday and has stayed ON for multiple cycles since. I borrowed a code reader from my friend and this is what I got : P0302, Cylinder 2 Misfire

Mine is at 13K miles , Oct 2011 manufacture.
sarath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #227
Jeeper
 
Raspy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Nevada
Posts: 120
Looks like you'll be getting a new head.

On the plus side, the heads have been re-designed and some manufacturing problems have been solved, or at least addressed.

Apparently, the plant in Mexico wasn't doing proper maintenance on the equipment and the manager was fired. Plus, these heads are hard to make. The more or less official statement was that the heads are now redesigned and more "robust". Doesn't say much, does it.

I forget the date after which all heads will be the new design, sometime in early 2012 If I remember correctly.

I dug around quite a bit for info before buying my new 2013 Rubi, but it's not really clear what the problem was exactly.
__________________
2013 Rubi

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."
Raspy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 01:07 PM   #228
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
The "new" Caprice isn't really new at all! The Caprice is going to be a remodeled Pontiac G8 GT. IMO, the G8 was the best car GM had built in over 35 years.
^^+ 1

My wife's car is the '09 Pontiac G8 GT. 6.0L of pure fun. Sad that it is an automatic though.
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #229
Jeeper
 
schnizdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 148
Images: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobeperry View Post
I just spent last hour reading these posts, going on YouTube and listening to various uploads of engine ticks both prior and after fix. I cannot hear much of a difference. I recorded my engine and compared it to the videos and I'm at a loss if my engine has a normal sound or tick. There is an obvious tick but it's not loud and if instant about one foot away, I don't here it. My build date is 12/11. I only have 1400 miles and barely drive 8k in a year. Is there a way the dealer can listen or run a test without this engine light coming on to figure out if my jeep falls into the damaged head category?
The only way to get the jeep looked at without a CEL is to call Chrysler customer service. Open a case with a case manager, and tell them you want your jeep tested for leakdown and for phaser abnormalities. That's what I had to do. Two dealers said there was no problem. I then got a hold of Chrysler customer service and opened a case. I then went to third dealer and surprisingly the head needed to be replaced after they tested for leakdown. I got the new AC head, plus they had to replace half of my head internals, also the rental car was covered for the three days they had to fix it. Warning, just be prepared to bang your head against the wall with the dealer and with Chrysler customer service. Pretty much they are all trying to avoid the issue and tell jeep owners that the problem does not exist. Don't put up with that poor customer service and make sure they fix your vehicle in my opinion.
schnizdawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #230
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calvert county, Southern Maryland
Posts: 569
i haven't checked back in awhile, didn't know that there have been some folks with multiple replacements. i had mine replaced a while ago and now have 28000 miles with no problems.....knock wood.

cass
tcass is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #231
Jeeper
 
sobeperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnizdawg View Post

The only way to get the jeep looked at without a CEL is to call Chrysler customer service. Open a case with a case manager, and tell them you want your jeep tested for leakdown and for phaser abnormalities. That's what I had to do. Two dealers said there was no problem. I then got a hold of Chrysler customer service and opened a case. I then went to third dealer and surprisingly the head needed to be replaced after they tested for leakdown. I got the new AC head, plus they had to replace half of my head internals, also the rental car was covered for the three days they had to fix it. Warning, just be prepared to bang your head against the wall with the dealer and with Chrysler customer service. Pretty much they are all trying to avoid the issue and tell jeep owners that the problem does not exist. Don't put up with that poor customer service and make sure they fix your vehicle in my opinion.
Thanks! Been awhile since this post. I'm now about 8k miles. Ticking is there, just have not addressed it. Taking a trip to orlando this weekend. When I return ill look into it. Thanks again.
sobeperry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #232
Newb
 
AzH3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Sold my Jeep

After they replace the head, I drove it for another 6K with no problems. I have no confidence in this vehicle's power train, and always worried when out wheeling in remote area's. I will never own a chrysler vehicle again. Too bad as I love the jeep, but chrysler quality is suspect and there is no more capable off road vehicle than the rubicon.
AzH3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #233
Jeeper
 
aypanthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzH3 View Post
After they replace the head, I drove it for another 6K with no problems. I have no confidence in this vehicle's power train, and always worried when out wheeling in remote area's. I will never own a chrysler vehicle again. Too bad as I love the jeep, but chrysler quality is suspect and there is no more capable off road vehicle than the rubicon.
The head issue doesnt leave you stranded. If your head has been replaced with the AC design you should be fine. Dont lose confidence in your jeep.
__________________
2012-JKU Sport S(23S), Manual, 3.73 gears w/LSD, TF leveling kit w/Discos, MB TKO 15" Rim w/Falken Rocky Mountains 33X12.50X15, Bestop High Rock High Access Front Bumper....too many other small things to list.
aypanthony is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #234
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Milpitas
Posts: 79
don't know if its good or bad. The light stayed ON for more than a day, but stopped coming ON from the day I called the dealer for an appointment!

Would rather have it replaced if its faulty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Looks like you'll be getting a new head.

On the plus side, the heads have been re-designed and some manufacturing problems have been solved, or at least addressed.

Apparently, the plant in Mexico wasn't doing proper maintenance on the equipment and the manager was fired. Plus, these heads are hard to make. The more or less official statement was that the heads are now redesigned and more "robust". Doesn't say much, does it.

I forget the date after which all heads will be the new design, sometime in early 2012 If I remember correctly.

I dug around quite a bit for info before buying my new 2013 Rubi, but it's not really clear what the problem was exactly.
sarath is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #235
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7
The latest.. head was replaced last May with 1300 miles on it. I now have 16000 miles. I am getting a bit of white smoke from my exhaust on cold starts. Any ideas?
cdiegle is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #236
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1
Head Replacement

Thought I should join in.. My 2012 Sahara is a little over a year old with 67,000 miles. The engine light came on and I took it in to have it checked out. I was told the coils and the spark plugs needed replaced ($1,300.00) and aren't covered under warranty. Come to find out, Jeep/Chrysler makes REALLY cheap coils and this is something that will occur (the coils) every 50,000 miles or so (spark plugs every 30,000 - UGH!). I picked it up, was driving home and the "check engine" light came back on, so back to the garage I went (at their request) to make sure everything was OK. As it turns out, I too am in need of a head gasket replacement as cylinder 4 has "issues". I drove it to the dealership and gave them the news, they assured me that it was covered in my "drive train" warranty and that it will be a couple of days for the repair. My mechanic, not Chrysler, told me that the company is aware of it and made changes to the engine in 2013. The repair, if not covered is $5,000.00+ to fix. Fingers crossed, I'm hoping this works, to no cost to me.

Dream22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling / Trading 2011 Rubicon for 2012 - Stupid? Worth it? sdgmcdon JK General Discussion Forum 32 09-19-2011 09:07 PM
2012 (and 2011) factory suspension options? panthermark JK General Discussion Forum 1 08-25-2011 12:53 PM
Head Unit won't turn on anymore?? BlackMountain JK General Discussion Forum 17 05-15-2011 05:17 PM
0630 head swap for 0331 Whtshdw TJ General Discussion Forum 2 02-10-2010 10:38 AM
new head gasket and sending unit..still have oil pressure gauge issue TXST8tj TJ General Discussion Forum 10 09-18-2008 11:37 AM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC