2012 jku wont start, cant jump it - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
So I stopped to get something at the store and came out an it won't start. It does one or two clicks and then all the lights dim an nothing else. So I thought maybe I left something on so I tried jumping it with two different trucks. No luck. Took the battery out to get tested and found it it charged but only has 100 cca left. So battery is bad but why am I not able to jump it? I also tried using the jumping cables from the truck and connecting it to the battery cables on the jeep without it connected to te jeep battery and still just a few clicks and that's it. And that battery was 620cca

__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas
Posts: 49
If they were not good cables, and let it sit and charge a bit are a couple possibilities. Most of the time cheap jumper cables will not get a dead battery going.

bountyhunter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,343
Did the interior lights go out when you cranked it without the battery in? I had a similar issue with my other car. I'd get a click then the lights would go out. I found that the negative battery cable was actually broken in two about midway down. Check that the cable connections are all tight.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter
If they were not good cables, and let it sit and charge a bit are a couple possibilities. Most of the time cheap jumper cables will not get a dead battery going.
Tried with two different trucks with different cables. And let it sit. Still doesn't explain why I couldn't get it to start with the battery from the truck when i connected the jumper cables to my battery cables in the jeep. Completely bypassing the jeeps battery
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jkjeeper06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,641
Red to red black to black? Sometimes it doesn't work if its red to red black to ground. (Negative terminal is grounded btw, just sparks a little)
jkjeeper06 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjeeper06
Red to red black to black? Sometimes it doesn't work if its red to red black to ground. (Negative terminal is grounded btw, just sparks a little)
I tried red to red and black to black and also red to red and black to alternator motor mount to ground it. Neither worked.
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,343
also try using the spare key, or replacing the battery in your key.
__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastek
also try using the spare key, or replacing the battery in your key.
I got it towed to the dealer. They said they couldn't replace the battery under warranty unless the whole jeep is there and since I any jump it the only way was to tow it just to get a damn battery!
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #9
Race Car Dave

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,966
Get a Sears DieHard platinum.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Well the measured the battery as having zero cold cranking amps!

What is still confusing the crap out of me is I put the jumper cables on my truck and then connected them strait to the jeeps battery cables and it still wouldn't turn on. And that battery had more cold cranking amps
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
snochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,111
Images: 2
If it's that dead jumper cables won't Work. Most of the times you get a jump the battery isn't completely dead.

I've hooked cars up to my diesel that ran two heavy duty batteries and got nothin. Dead is dead sometimes.
__________________
Harley Quinn: 2011 JKU Bright Silver Rubicon (His)
Poison Ivy: 2012 JKU Gecko Pearl Sport (Mine)

Jeeps of Old: '89 White YJ (1rst Jeep), '01 TJ Yellow Sport, Mudbird: 2001 TJ Silver Sport (Miss this old girl, may she rest in peace)
snochick is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
If the battery has a dead short (ie positive is grounded), trying to jump it might just harm the jumper's vehicle. And your's won't start as the short won't allow at least 10 volts across your terminals.

The battery could have taken out the alternator or fusible link. Let the dealer figure it out.
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Got the jeep back. Dead battery covered under warranty. 72 month warranty on new one
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by snochick
If it's that dead jumper cables won't Work. Most of the times you get a jump the battery isn't completely dead.

I've hooked cars up to my diesel that ran two heavy duty batteries and got nothin. Dead is dead sometimes.
The dead battery wasn't even connected though so that wouldnt have caused it not to start. I had the jeep connected directly to the trucks battery via jumper cables.
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Justinpar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli25 View Post
The dead battery wasn't even connected though so that wouldnt have caused it not to start. I had the jeep connected directly to the trucks battery via jumper cables.
Was the other driver reving his motor at all when you where trying to start your jeep?
__________________
BUILD THREAD

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Justinpar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ohioviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 1,988
Your not gonna have much luck starting one without a battery and only jumpers.Not impossible but not likely.
__________________

2015 JKU Wifes
2013 JK mine
2000 TJ son's
ohioviper is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioviper
Your not gonna have much luck starting one without a battery and only jumpers.Not impossible but not likely.
How so? My curiosity is getting to me with this!
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,130
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli25 View Post
How so? My curiosity is getting to me with this!
Because the other driver's battery is directly linked to his electrical system and can't supply the necessary 12 volts plus a couple hundred amps thru the jumper cables.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Mowgli25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 316
Even if that car was off? It was a 610cca battery
__________________
Firefighter/EMT
Mowgli25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 22,130
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Yup. Plus your average run of the mill jumper cables won't carry enough amperage to do the job.
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
LBrito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Lakewood, CA
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3JKs1H1 View Post
If the battery has a dead short (ie positive is grounded), trying to jump it might just harm the jumper's vehicle. And your's won't start as the short won't allow at least 10 volts across your terminals.

The battery could have taken out the alternator or fusible link. Let the dealer figure it out.
THIS.

It's always good to measure the battery voltage before jump starting a vehicle. If its deeply discharged and shouldn't logically be that deeply discharged, chances are that the battery is bad. If you manage to get it jumped, the alternator on your Jeep may suffer, and also the nice person who gave you a jump when hooking up their battery to yours.

The alternator is more intelligent on the JKs, you can't just swap it with any other alternator because of this. Part of that intelligence is voltage sensing and hence a internally shorted dead battery will really screw up the system. It can also damage other electronics from your alternator voltage going too high trying to charge it.

It sucks that you experienced a battery failure this early though, that shouldn't have happened unless you shorted it before and weakened it. But, guess you got the one bum battery in the lot. Good thing they took care of you under warranty, hopefully your tow was free or at least less than the cost of replacing the battery!
__________________
* 2012 JKU Rubicon Deep Cherry Red - 4.10 Gears - AEV 4.5" DualSport RS Suspension - 35x12.5 BFG KM2's on Pro Comp 8069 Wheels - ACE Rock Sliders - Gobi Stealth Rack - Tom Wood's shafts - M.O.R.E Dual Battery Tray with 2 Optima Yellow Tops, Smart Isolated.
* Military M416 Trailer in Olive Drab - Custom Aluminum Lid - Mombasa RTT on lid - ARB Awning w/privacy room on custom low sitting extension arms - Custom Rear Swing-out Tire Carrier - Custom Fuel Carrier on Tongue...
LBrito is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Newb
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1
Listen, that happened to my 2012 Jeep JK on yesterday. Tried everything; jumper cables, power booster and nothing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty. To my surprise, the mechanic told me that once the jeep detects a low voltage in the battery, it protects itself to avoid any damage to the ECU and the computer need to be reset in order to restart the car. Even if you install a new battery, it won't start. How does it sound to you? I mean, what is this happen in the middle of nowhere? No one will be able to help you, but the dealer. There must be something to override this "safety" fixture.
Jose Lopez is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
chadreyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: monterey, ca
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Lopez View Post
Listen, that happened to my 2012 Jeep JK on yesterday. Tried everything; jumper cables, power booster and nothing. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the battery under warranty. To my surprise, the mechanic told me that once the jeep detects a low voltage in the battery, it protects itself to avoid any damage to the ECU and the computer need to be reset in order to restart the car. Even if you install a new battery, it won't start. How does it sound to you? I mean, what is this happen in the middle of nowhere? No one will be able to help you, but the dealer. There must be something to override this "safety" fixture.
Had the same thing happen on my 2012 a month ago in my driveway. Put my wife's battery in to get it to the dealership and put the fried one back in once I got there, it started up fine with the other battery from my wife's car though. Dealership replaced it with a 740 cca mopar performance battery. Better than the 610 cca stocker it came with at least.
chadreyn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
BlackOpsJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Near Fort Stewart, GA
Posts: 660
This happened to my 2012 too. Turns out all but 2 cells were bad so they replaced it with another MOPAR shitty battery. I promptly went down to Sears and bought a 750CCA Die Hard Advanced Gold for $189.99. I would have opted for an Optima but they are now made in Mexico and China and are also no longer Gel but AGM like everyone else's. At least the Die Hard is made right here in the USA. By the way, I sold that MOPAR battery on Craigslist for $60! WINNING!

BOTTOM LINE, get rid of that shitty OEM battery.
__________________
“If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.”
― George Washington
BlackOpsJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
mcgee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowgli25 View Post
So I stopped to get something at the store and came out an it won't start. It does one or two clicks and then all the lights dim an nothing else. So I thought maybe I left something on so I tried jumping it with two different trucks. No luck. Took the battery out to get tested and found it it charged but only has 100 cca left. So battery is bad but why am I not able to jump it? I also tried using the jumping cables from the truck and connecting it to the battery cables on the jeep without it connected to te jeep battery and still just a few clicks and that's it. And that battery was 620cca
Jeep has some bad battery's my 2012 went threw 2 of them. I just went out and bought a battery for mine. I don't want the hassle of it going dead in the middle of no where or having to find a dealer. The dealers said the bad battery's run threw 2014 and the factory that makes them is Not changing anything these same battery's are in many other car's including VW, nissan, and toyota.
__________________
2012 Sport Auto 3.73
ACE rock sliders
Eaton Tru-trac Front and rear
17 inch ATX Ledge wheels
285/70/17 Duratrac
Cheap is never a good thing when it comes to your Jeep
mcgee10 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
dwindeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 558
If this ever happens to anybody...disconnect both battery cables, tie, clamp....what ever you can use to hold the cables tightly together for 15 min. This will be enough time to drain all the little capacitors in the computer system. This completely clears the computer of any troubles/glitches and the jeep will re start!
dwindeck is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-06-2014, 01:23 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mongolia
Posts: 99
Change your battery and everything will be fine

gantulga is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC