2012 leaks? Anyone? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Newb
 
megansredwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong! I've taken it in for the leak test 3 times and no luck. They keep telling me I don't have the knobs tightened in the sound bar. Not true. They are tight. We got rain today and a blanket in the back is soaked! Someone help?

megansredwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 37,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by megansredwrangler
Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong! dde2d I've taken it in for the leak test 3 times and no luck. They keep telling me I don't have the knobs tightened in the sound bar. Not true. They are tight. We got rain today and a blanket in the back is soaked! Someone help?
Try not tightening them.

kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
Newb
 
megansredwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10

Try not tightening them.
Unfortunately it still happens.
megansredwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
HAFICON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Undecided.
Posts: 1,368
Keep going back. At some point Chrysler might have to get involved.
__________________
2012 JKU Sport Deep Cherry Red

"Door ding my Jeep, and I will fist ding your face BIATCH"
HAFICON is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Newb
 
megansredwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblue
Keep going back. At some point Chrysler might have to get involved.
Ugh. That's so frustrating. I've heard so many people have leak problems.
megansredwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #6
rmb
Jeeper
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 52
Are you putting it on in the sequence that is recommended? Place them down evenly and follow the sequence. This is what Jeep recommends, you can find other sequences that people had success with if you Google. This worked for me and mine leaked in the front, over the radio, and in the back (separate occasions). It was clearly because I just popped them on without caring about the tightening sequence and how snug the barrel adjusters should be.


* Right side on and latch the front first, and then the lock by the shoulder belt.
* Left side on and latch the front fitrst, and then the lock by the shoulder belt.
* Turn the two middle locks, and then the barrel adjusters.

The barrel adjusters should be snug, and they are finicky. Too tight and they will leak and too loose and they will leak. This is my experience with my 2012. I know people say not to use them or make them only slightly tight but that was not the case for me. Also, some people say to lubricate the rubber but I have not had to do that either.

My opinion is that the extreme heat in the summer and a cool morning (expansion/contraction with black top and seals) will affect the top and the seals, which is why too tight or too loose can be a problem.

I had the exact same leaks as many people and just following the order, getting the adjusters somewhere between tight and loose and it is totally dry after some real monsoon rain here in NY.

Hope this helps.
rmb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 1,567
bbtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Newb
 
megansredwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb
Are you putting it on in the sequence that is recommended? Place them down evenly and follow the sequence. This is what Jeep recommends, you can find other sequences that people had success with if you Google. This worked for me and mine leaked in the front, over the radio, and in the back (separate occasions). It was clearly because I just popped them on without caring about the tightening sequence and how snug the barrel adjusters should be.

* Right side on and latch the front first, and then the lock by the shoulder belt.
* Left side on and latch the front fitrst, and then the lock by the shoulder belt.
* Turn the two middle locks, and then the barrel adjusters.

The barrel adjusters should be snug, and they are finicky. Too tight and they will leak and too loose and they will leak. This is my experience with my 2012. I know people say not to use them or make them only slightly tight but that was not the case for me. Also, some people say to lubricate the rubber but I have not had to do that either.

My opinion is that the extreme heat in the summer and a cool morning (expansion/contraction with black top and seals) will affect the top and the seals, which is why too tight or too loose can be a problem.

I had the exact same leaks as many people and just following the order, getting the adjusters somewhere between tight and loose and it is totally dry after some real monsoon rain here in NY.

Hope this helps.
This is SO helpful! I'm going to test it out. We're getting rain this weekend so hopefully no leaks! Thank you thank you!!
megansredwrangler is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
iluvshoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 1,378
Mine doesn't leak that I know of. I don't even have the sound bar knobs in. I haven't since I took my front panels off the first week I got my Jeep. I have even taken my top off and bedlined the inside of it and still no leaking.

That sucks you are having issues. I hope you find a solution. sorry I couldn't help.
__________________
Julie
12 Sport Black (Mall Crawler) aka Fifty
02 X Yellow (Bar Crawler) aka Bumblebee
iluvshoes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
rmb
Jeeper
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by megansredwrangler View Post
This is SO helpful! I'm going to test it out. We're getting rain this weekend so hopefully no leaks! Thank you thank you!!
Sure, use the hose and test it out before the rain.
rmb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
The P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tampa, Fl (By Jan/2014)
Posts: 65
I'm stuck in coastal GA for the next month where it seems to rain every day. Amazingly enough, my 2012 JKU only leaks from the softtop after I open my doors. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do or buy to prevent this?
The P is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ft Lauderdale
Posts: 20
I'm happy to report my 2012 JK 2Dr soft top doesn't leak, even in S Florida torrencial monsooons.

BUT

Quote:
I'm stuck in coastal GA for the next month where it seems to rain every day. Amazingly enough, my 2012 JKU only leaks from the softtop after I open my doors. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do or buy to prevent this?
Mine does this too, when you open the door in the rain it pours from the roof into the cabin like a river LOL. I chaulk it up to being a Jeep thing but it seems like a fairly easy mod to make some kind of guttter for the soft top.

What is the yellow dude doing to that poor horse?!?!

terahertz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC