2012 Rubicon Steering Wheel Controls *** No Longer Working *** Please Help! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5
2012 Rubicon Steering Wheel Controls *** No Longer Working *** Please Help!

Hey guys,

So my 2012 two door rubi steering wheel controls just stopped working the other day.

For those familiar with the way the steering wheel controls are set up, everything just suddenly stopped working (radio controls, mileage range, etc...) but my cruise control which is also located on the steering wheel still works.

Any idea what my issue might be? Do I need to reset something? Id love to do a self fix if I could! I called my dealer and they want me to bring it in of course...

I would have thought that a fuse or wire had gone bad, if everything stopped working at once, but the fact that my cruise control options still work makes me wonder?

Please help a guy out! Big thanks in advance!
~Bo

bopanic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 132
Honk. It worked on my 2011. Don't ask me why, but it worked. Had the same problem, searched the forum many people reported that hooking the horn would fix it. Honk once or twice and all steering wheel controls worked again.

the Grouch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5
hmm... random... but at this point ill give anything a try.

im outta town for work right now but when i get home thursday ill try it!

thanks for the idea!
bopanic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 132
Same thing I thought, but it worked
the Grouch is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112
Probably a clockspring issue. But you can try to reset all the modules & see if function returns. Unhook the battery & touch the cables together for about 5secs then leave it disconnected for 10minutes. This is a capacitive discharge & resets modules & they sometimes start working after this.
__________________
ASE Certified Master Tech
Chrysler Certified Tech - bringing you info straight from the stealership on the cheap.
crawlin_archer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
nubzsidefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin_archer View Post
Probably a clockspring issue. But you can try to reset all the modules & see if function returns. Unhook the battery & touch the cables together for about 5secs then leave it disconnected for 10minutes. This is a capacitive discharge & resets modules & they sometimes start working after this.
Not worth the risk.
nubzsidefx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
nubzsidefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 23
Omg I can't believe honking the horn worked. Hahaha I had this problem before and I made and appointment with the dealership. Of course when I brought it in it didn't work for them. Them about 2 weeks ago it started acting up again. Figure I'd try WF for a solution and there it was how simple. Thank you simple geniuses
nubzsidefx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
SilverSport's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 20,548
Send a message via Yahoo to SilverSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubzsidefx View Post
Not worth the risk.
What risk?
__________________
"Own a Jeep and own a piece of history."

"The Hunter is not concerned with the opinion of the Wolf."
SilverSport is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
What risk?
It can cause other issues, up to frying the ECM/ECU........Just what I was told. I have no experiance doing this.
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5
Funny thing & knock on wood it doesn't act up again BUT I got home from Phoenix & it started working again. Didn't even need to honk the horn... For now...
bopanic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
relyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sidney, OH
Posts: 631
Don't touch the wires together. Disconnect the battery and press the brake pedal for ~10 seconds and any residual power will be discharged through the brake lights.
relyt is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
nubzsidefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 23
You can short circuit causing blown fuses and relays. Not to mention creating a fire hazard
nubzsidefx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
Dance w/me tonight

WF Supporting Member
 
jkucod12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,002
Images: 8
If it is still under warranty take it to the dealer.
jkucod12 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
It can cause other issues, up to frying the ECM/ECU........Just what I was told. I have no experiance doing this.
No it won't. We do it all the time. It's an actual service procedure from Chrysler called a " capacitive discharge ". Because some modules have capacitors in them that store energy & just unhooking the battery doesn't reset them all the way. So when you hold the + & - cables together it forces them to discharge. And this procedure fixes things sometimes when a module gets stupid & forgets what it's supposed to be doing. I explained it before but here it is, every module in your ride is like a little mini computer & sometimes your computer needs a reboot to clear up memory or some bad data like your home computer does. And this procedure is like doing a restart on your home pc. No it doesn't fix everything, but it's an easy step that may work. Just don't touch the terminals together if you still have the power hooked up, that would cause problems.
__________________
ASE Certified Master Tech
Chrysler Certified Tech - bringing you info straight from the stealership on the cheap.
crawlin_archer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubzsidefx View Post
You can short circuit causing blown fuses and relays. Not to mention creating a fire hazard
Again, how are you gonna short circuit something & blow a fuse or relay when the battery is disconnected? If you don't want to believe me so be it. I do this for a living, so if I do something wrong it's my but. So I try not to make errors & fry stuff. But in the end it's your ride & you can do what you want to it.
__________________
ASE Certified Master Tech
Chrysler Certified Tech - bringing you info straight from the stealership on the cheap.
crawlin_archer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
chris4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin_archer View Post
No it won't. We do it all the time. It's an actual service procedure from Chrysler called a " capacitive discharge ". Because some modules have capacitors in them that store energy & just unhooking the battery doesn't reset them all the way. So when you hold the + & - cables together it forces them to discharge. And this procedure fixes things sometimes when a module gets stupid & forgets what it's supposed to be doing. I explained it before but here it is, every module in your ride is like a little mini computer & sometimes your computer needs a reboot to clear up memory or some bad data like your home computer does. And this procedure is like doing a restart on your home pc. No it doesn't fix everything, but it's an easy step that may work. Just don't touch the terminals together if you still have the power hooked up, that would cause problems.
Interesting. being that there is a battery in the ECM, I was told that touching the two cables can cause issues. I was told the best way was to either press the brake pedal or turn the ignition to the on position to discharge any remaining current.
__________________
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
chris4x4 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,839
My 12 started having intermittent issues with the voice command and the phone button on the steering wheel. Wonder what the issue is...
CoreyZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
nubzsidefx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alberta
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlin_archer View Post
Again, how are you gonna short circuit something & blow a fuse or relay when the battery is disconnected? If you don't want to believe me so be it. I do this for a living, so if I do something wrong it's my but. So I try not to make errors & fry stuff. But in the end it's your ride & you can do what you want to it.
Sorry, I miss understood your statement and if I were on the clock I would probably do it too, but since I have time to kill I'd let it drain itself out. Getting back to the original post, don't even bother with the battery and just honk if your horny for steering controls
nubzsidefx is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 11
I just had the same problem. Honked my horn and boom it's working again. That's some funny s??t

Hose dragger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC