2012 w/3.21s and Lift/Tires-Results! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,349
Images: 20
2012 w/3.21s and Lift/Tires-Results!

I bought my 2012 JK (2 door, soft top, auto) with 3.21 gearing. Ah, the horror.
Kidding: with no mods. 3.21 gearing is just fine and I was perfectly happy. It wasn't until AFTER I'd ordered my 35" tires and lift that I stumbled onto the gear chart on this forum. I realized then that I might have just built a 2012 Turtle Edition JK. Did I mention I am a lead foot?
I am not posting this to debate tire weight vs. rotation vs. tread vs. gear ratio vs. 15 wheels vs 17 wheels vs. 3.6 or 3.8-just my results with 3.21 gearing and tire change for other people with 3.21s on a 2012.
I originally bought 35" Open Country Toyo MTs with MKW M80 wheels. (I don't recommend the wheels- and they are heavy.) I returned the Toyos pre-lift install. I went for 305/70/17" KM2s- much lighter and with a narrower tread. The new 3" Mopar lift is installed and the KM2s are on- along with a Procal tire size programming change.(It makes a difference).
Do I need a gear change? No! Mostly. The difference is very minimal- and believe me I was looking. We made note of what gear we were in (stock) on certain roads and after the Procal/34" install it was very, very close. The crappy 40 MPH low torque problem is still there. I was happy as a fiddle until I turned on the AC. Its not crazy slow- but I noticed a change primarily on the freeway. This is the ONLY time I find myself mashing the pedal more than normal. Or downshifting. Or moving into the slow-er lane.
I won't be re-gearing- I can still pass easily (with mashing) and I have no problems city, uphill or on trails. Plus who needs AC? There are too many other mods I want for the $1500 4.10s would cost me- and frankly I'd be forking over that cash in anger- at myself for not getting 3.73s. (No need to rub that one in by the way- and no offense to my fellow 3.21'ers).
Don't ask me about gas mileage. It sucks. See "lead foot" above. MPG went down.
I still covet the Toyos- but I'd only switch to a (heavy/wide) 35" MT in concert with a gear change. Pretty certain I'd need it. Donations accepted!
Thanks to everyone who helped me with all my questions prior to install!
If you have 3.21 gearing on a 2012 & a similiar set-up please post your results so we can keep the thread going/help those looking to do the same.

JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Looks good and it's good to have someone take the time to post their findings like this. Always appreciated. x2 on getting the 33s instead with your gears/set up. I've got the same set up but with a 2.5 lift 33x12.5R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ and 3.21 gears on a manual.

__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,349
Images: 20
Speaking of helpful posters...thanks!
Do you have two Jeeps? I thought you put on KM2s after your Duratracks? Or have I lost track?
JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz
Speaking of helpful posters...thanks!
Do you have two Jeeps? I thought you put on KM2s after your Duratracks? Or have I lost track?
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,349
Images: 20
JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by esp

x2 :d
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
nknacd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 78
I have a 2012 jk unlimited with 3.21 gears and I'm running nitto terra grapplers that are ~33s as well. I just don't get to use 6th gear
__________________
2012 JKU Sport | 3.25" Rough Country Suspension Lift | 32.72" Nitto Terra Grappler P285/70R17 117S on 17" ATX Slot
nknacd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by nknacd View Post
I have a 2012 jk unlimited with 3.21 gears and I'm running nitto terra grapplers that are ~33s as well. I just don't get to use 6th gear
That's because they're nittos.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP

That's because they're nittos.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Its ok young padawan, he's talking about 33s not 35s. Your safe.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
1quick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
Looks good and it's good to have someone take the time to post their findings like this. Always appreciated. x2 on getting the 33s instead with your gears/set up. I've got the same set up but with a 2.5 lift 33x12.5R15 Mickey Thompson MTZ and 3.21 gears on a manual.
This will be my exact setup as well. 2.5'' lift and 33x12.5R15 but I'll probably go Goodyear Duratrac's. I figure with the manual and 3.21's it will be the best I can do without regearing and should be plenty for the wheeling I enjoy doing with my DD.
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon 6spd
1quick1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
This will be my exact setup as well. 2.5'' lift and 33x12.5R15 but I'll probably go Goodyear Duratrac's. I figure with the manual and 3.21's it will be the best I can do without regearing and should be plenty for the wheeling I enjoy doing with my DD.
Perhaps you've not seen my "other" thread. BEHOLD!!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/33x...deo-96568.html
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
1quick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 849
Oh believe me I have and that's a lot of my reasoning behind the setup. I haven't checked it in a while but if I remember you were having some balancing issues. I'll need to check the latest on that one.
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon 6spd
1quick1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 76
Good Read - I am glad I have max towing with 373 though.
Shodan01 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Someplace in Africa
Posts: 3,288
Good thread. 2012 Jkur here with 410s automatic and 37s no loss of power. Will regear to 538s when we buy 40s
pluke the 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,344
Great thread.
i82much is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 347
Good thread. Makes me feel okay about having 3.73's and going with 315/70/17's!
__________________
'13 Dozer JK Sport
'98 Stone White TJ Sport (Sold)
Dozer13JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
rtguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 838
do they even have 4.10's for the jk dana 30? I haven't seen them. I take that back...I think mopar sells a set but I haven't seen any others. just 4.56 and up
__________________
2012 JK Black Forest Green
rtguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
MacCTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 477
Looks good, what size did you use on the Procal? From what I have read and used on my JK the actual tire size is often smaller than what is listed.
MacCTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #21
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
Oh believe me I have and that's a lot of my reasoning behind the setup. I haven't checked it in a while but if I remember you were having some balancing issues. I'll need to check the latest on that one.
Yes I did and I don't run the duratracs anymore. I have mickey thompson MTZ currently and they balanced fine.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
I installed my 3" lift last week and yesterday put on my 15x8 wheels and 33x12.50 Duratrac's. Waiting for my Procal to make the tire change and tpms. Drove it around town and not bad, but sure it'll be a little better with the Procal.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120712_071144.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	140231



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120712_071202.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	140232
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
ESP
Needs stuff..
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R View Post
I installed my 3" lift last week and yesterday put on my 15x8 wheels and 33x12.50 Duratrac's. Waiting for my Procal to make the tire change and tpms. Drove it around town and not bad, but sure it'll be a little better with the Procal.
Looks good.
__________________
Behold...THE LEGENDARY ESP

98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,349
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
Looks good, what size did you use on the Procal? From what I have read and used on my JK the actual tire size is often smaller than what is listed.
Good point. KM2s run smaller than "standard." Ie: a 34" KM2 is not 34". I bought PMetric so they're an odd size anyway. Mine are 33.9" tall- I used 34". I know that makes it a little off but I am not too worried.
I plan to try changing it to 35"s and see if I can trick it into better gear shifts. I wanted to get a full tank or two in first. I doubt it'll work but I'll give it a try. I love that gadget.
JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
1quick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R View Post
I installed my 3" lift last week and yesterday put on my 15x8 wheels and 33x12.50 Duratrac's. Waiting for my Procal to make the tire change and tpms. Drove it around town and not bad, but sure it'll be a little better with the Procal.
Do you have any drive shaft concerns? My understanding is over 2.5'' you run a risk of drive shaft damage.

Looks good btw
__________________
2012 JK Rubicon 6spd
1quick1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 31,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz

Good point. KM2s run smaller than "standard." Ie: a 34" KM2 is not 34". I bought PMetric so they're an odd size anyway. Mine are 33.9" tall- I used 34". I know that makes it a little off but I am not too worried.
I plan to try changing it to 35"s and see if I can trick it into better gear shifts. I wanted to get a full tank or two in first. I doubt it'll work but I'll give it a try. I love that gadget.
Most tires are smaller than advertised. Even the stock KM's.
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler 2.5 coils/Rancho 7000 shocks/Teraflex monster TB/Synergy highsteer,tie rod, ball joints/Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/MC front SB links/Rancho geo brackets & shocks/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS=Frankinlift from hell.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick1

Do you have any drive shaft concerns? My understanding is over 2.5'' you run a risk of drive shaft damage.

Looks good btw
Concerns, yes. I've been reading up on the thread about the 3" lift and up.
Since the lift is a week old and wheels/tires put on yesterday no problems yet of course, but I want to remedy the situation before it becomes a problem. it'll be a bit before it goes off road, but want to get the parts I need to fix now so its over with. Adams drive shafts seem nice, but not sure if I need lca's or what not as well....
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Someplace in Africa
Posts: 3,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_B1R View Post
Concerns, yes. I've been reading up on the thread about the 3" lift and up.
Since the lift is a week old and wheels/tires put on yesterday no problems yet of course, but I want to remedy the situation before it becomes a problem. it'll be a bit before it goes off road, but want to get the parts I need to fix now so its over with. Adams drive shafts seem nice, but not sure if I need lca's or what not as well....
if you install a new front drive shaft and your jk is at 3" or above it means that your caster with stock control arms is less than stock 4*, meaning you will not need to install new front lower control arms unless it's flighty on the freeway. but having a new front drive shaft will not make it any more flighty than it is now without one.
pluke the 2 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
DJ_B1R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2

if you install a new front drive shaft and your jk is at 3" or above it means that your caster with stock control arms is less than stock 4*, meaning you will not need to install new front lower control arms unless it's flighty on the freeway. but having a new front drive shaft will not make it any more flighty than it is now without one.
Thanks for the reply. So say I get the Adam's drive shaft, I should be good? I just don't want any problems in the future.
DJ_B1R is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,060
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
great thread. Sub'd

dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
3.21 , 3.73 , gearing , lift , tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC